• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which is more comfortable: Xbox Series controller or Dual Sense?

• Xbox Series controller

Votes: 918 54.0%
  • Dual Sense

Votes: 781 45.9%

• Total voters

acebeam

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 23, 2020
Both are comfy, but i like DualSense more and feels better, and also it's more advanced. Don't like XSX gamepad size. It's smaller. X1 gamepad size was great.

Last edited:

Ramirez

Oct 26, 2017
DualSense is too big for me and makes my hands sweat terribly, never had this issue with a controller before.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
Love both. XSX Controller is great, just wish it was slightly bigger.

From both a feature and ergonomic POV, the DualSense is the best controller Sony has ever made.

Edge to XSX Controller but both are great.

masterceewhy

Aug 4, 2020
I've got large hands so the DualSense feels better.
Also I have a PS5 and only use the Xbox controllers at my friends' spots if that mkaes a difference.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Both are good but DualSense feels higher quality. I dislike How the Series X controller feels. The texture on the grips feels cheap compared to the DualSense's.

MasonADC

Sep 28, 2018
Its the xbox controller. PSaystation controller has the fatal flaw of having its analog stick in the wrong place. Until they fix it the ps controller will always be inferior

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
I like the DualSense more but the Xbox one is more comfortable. Better reachability for the A/B/X/O buttons.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
My Xbox Series controller feels much more comfortable to me. My Dual Sense feels like a premium product, but it's a little bulky, and I have large hands.

CollectedDust

Oct 27, 2017
Indiana
This is the first time I've preferred a PlayStation controller. I've always preferred Xbox, and even used one of those silly Scuf controllers on my PS4 to get something closer to an elite.

On my series, I still use my gen 2 elite more than the new controller (although the blue one does look nice so I use it sometimes). However, the dualsense is on another level. It feels nice in your hands, great built quality, and the triggers are fantastic as folks have said. Sony finally created a controller I like.

Oct 25, 2017
I think the dualsense is a big improvement off of the PS4 controller, and the haptic and motion features make it a better overall controller than the Xbox one this time around.

But the Xbox Series controller is more comfortable.

RadioJoNES

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The textured grip on the Series X controller hurts my hands. Dualsense all the way

hanshen

Jun 24, 2018
Chicago, IL
Both are pretty solid controllers. However, the menu button on DualSense is too small and hard to press. I also prefer the trigger on the xbox controller.
Xbox Elite controller is still the superior option for next gen though.

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Based purely on comfort, I prefer the Xbox Series X/S controller (and the Elite Series 2 even more so). From a functional perspective, the DualSense is far ahead for sure.

Fabs

Aug 22, 2019
Xbox buuuut I've never been a dual shock fan and the dual sense is my favorite they've done.

watdaeff4

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The only thing keeping Xbox controller from perfection is the bumpers

DualSense feels great though but the textured grip, offset thumb sticks and dpad of the Xbox beats it

Yesterday

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I prefer the buttons on the Dualsense but everything else on the Xbox. I like my buttons mushy

supernormal

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I actually prefer the DS4 ergonomically to the Dualsense. The way the new grips cut off at the bottom leaves a sharper edge that digs into my pinkies after long play sessions. I prefer the rounder approach to the DS4. Between the Dualsense and the Xbox controller, I still prefer the way the Xbox's feels in my hands, how it looks, the way the sticks are positioned, and the triggers. Sony has the better face buttons, bumpers, d-pad, and the haptics are amazing.

My biggest gripe with DS and the DS4 is how pushing up on the analog sticks always causes accidental swipes on the touchpad, since my thumbs extend beyond the sticks themselves.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
New Xbox controller over the Dual sense in ergonomics. Dual Sense over DS4 in every way. Dual sense over new xbox controller in features.

Beef Supreme

Oct 25, 2017
I will always vote for the Xbox Controller. Never has controller felt so comfortable in my hands. That and I loath the analog stick placement on all PS controllers.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
XSX controller is amazing
PS5 dualsense is very good

Porkepik

Oct 27, 2017
Hands tires a bit less with xbox controller but dual sense is pretty good and great adaptive triggers

Vault Boy

Nov 2, 2017
Dualsense is one of the coolest pieces of gaming tech I have ever used. But unfortunately, I find it very uncomfortable to hold for longer than a few minutes at a time.

XSX controller is way more comfortable for long periods of gaming, and the small improvements they made for this gen are pretty great (though I wish there had been more innovation).

Joco

Oct 29, 2017
In terms of comfort, the Series X wins for me. That's not to knock the Dualsense though - it's the best controller Sony had ever made, by far.

My issue with the Series X controller though is that the face buttons and especially the d-pad are WAY too loud. Like obnoxiously loud. If I was the only person in the room it'd be no problem as I wear headphones and probably would hardly notice it, but as almost all my time home is spent in the same room as my spouse I'm almost afraid I'm going to end up annoying her. So bit of a unique problem but yeah Microsoft, if you could make a quieter controller, that'd be great.

AppleBlade

Nov 15, 2017
Connecticut
I wonder why there is such a disconnect between the comments and the poll. Comments overwhelmingly say Series X but the poll is much closer.

northnorth

Dec 4, 2017
Dual Sense. I seriously feel like double dipping on stuff I've bought on XSX. And I was one of those that was like UNTIL SONY HAS OFFSET STICKS THEY'LL NEVER HAVE A BETTER CONTROLLER. I was wrong. They do now.

FarronFox

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Having both consoles i think the XSX controller is more comfortable but ps5 has more functionality so they both have their positives.

Ps5 controller is good for the exclusives but when I was trying fortnite with it I just felt ugh and wanted to switch back to xsx.

Oct 25, 2017
DualSense doesn't aggravate my tendonitis as much, for whatever reason. They're both great controllers though, the comfort difference is marginal.

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
overall I prefer dual sense even if some buttons feel a bit spongy. Also, the Xbox controller made my hand sweaty really quickly compared to the DS (it's summer here right now and the DS doesn't seem to heat my hands as much).

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
Technical features aside, Series X by a mile.
Same for last gen Xbox One controllers and DS4s

Sony flubbed the ergonomics and I'm surprised more people haven't been complaining about it.
The grips are very poorly designed for comfort. Sony for some reason made them long and tapered with hardly any concave curvature underneath and no end "nub" that rests in your palm. The other controllers can pretty much rest in your hands with no effort, but these are shaped to be squeezed out of your hands so to speak.

It's been my main gripe with the PS5, moreso than the console design itself that I disliked. I wasn't expecting to have any issues with the controller, but I don't enjoy using it at all.

I actually prefer the DS4 ergonomically to the Dualsense. The way the new grips cut off at the bottom leaves a sharper edge that digs into my pinkies after long play sessions. I prefer the rounder approach to the DS4.
Oh yeah, that too. Having offset seams on a controller is bad design. If I play fighters on the pad my hand shifts around a lot and my middle finger sometimes wraps around the grip and rubs against the edge of the middle horizontal back and white seams.

Last edited:

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
Only played with the Dual Sense briefly at my friend's house (I couldn't get a PS5), but it's still pretty easily the Series X/S controller.

Fixes every problem I had with the Xbox One controller. It's close to perfect for my needs and I'm having trouble going back to the DS4 (my main controller for most of the generation).

I really love the hard textured grip. I cannot stress enough how much more comfortable it is for me me than holding a smooth surface or rubberised grip.

Arctic Chris

Dec 5, 2017
Ottawa Canada
I prefer my XSX controller to the new DualSense.

I know lots of people love the haptics in the DualSense but I would have been much happier if there were back paddles. I loved that little attachment for my DS4 controllers. I have not tried an Xbox Elite controller and I am a little nervous about the lack of QA in the Elite 2 but I can certainly see myself buying a new Xbox Elite 3 when that is released simply because of the paddles. So good for shooters.

MrFortyFive

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Xbox by a slim margin. Both are fantastic, and the Dual Sense is a remarkable step forward compared to the DS4, but I still prefer the offset sticks and the textured backing of the XSX controller just makes it a joy.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
I prefer the shape of the Xbox Series but not by much, they are both fantastic.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
Fortunately we are at a place where both controllers are excellent in build quality and comfortability. I haven't used the Series X controller much since I have an Elite V2 but this is the best a Playstation controller has ever felt to me. It's heavier, it's got great haptics even in basic vibration games and it fits the hands better. Overall I'd say they are equal.

FrsDvl

Oct 25, 2017
Series controller by far. The DualSense is too big, and I've got big hands. It just feels odd to hold. I really thought Sony would've had MS beat on the controller design this time around. But MS makes them just right.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
The DualSense is a mammoth step up from the DS4, but the Series X controller takes an already top-tier ergonomic controller and refines it even further while shaving off a tiny bit of bulk.

I still prefer the gen 1 Elite controller though. It is what it is. The Gen 3 Elite might slap HARD, if and when it arrives.

Zoph

Oct 25, 2017
DualSense has slightly more bulk than I'm comfortable with, and that's probably exacerbated a little by the thumbstick positions.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Xbox Series controller is better for comfort. Dual Sense more than makes up for it with feature set and feedback though. I ultimately still find the Dual Sense more pleasurable to use overall, but Xbox does win on comfort.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They're both supremely comfortable, and I can effortlessly use both for hours.

I know I initially said I found the Series X controller more comfortable, but now that I've had hours upon hours with both, if I had to pick one, I'd probably go with the DualSense instead.

I think the Series X initially feels more ergonomic due to its smaller size and shape, but I found a lot of the controllers weight and pressure rests on the middle joints of my middle fingers as they hold the areas just below the triggers.

Conversely, whilst the DualSense is a touch too large, I think the weight distribution is superior. The weight is more evenly spread across my entire hands, with the main contact point being the upper palms, which simply makes more sense than having more weight/pressure rest on smaller contact points.

This is splitting hairs though. I feel like they're within a few percentage points of each other. I guess for me the perfect controller ergonomically would be something in-between the two, but they're both nearly there already.

I will however say that in terms of feel, fit, finish, uniformity of seams, build and overall noise dampening, the DualSense feels considerably more premium than the Series X controller, which is just far too noisy.

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I personally prefer the Dualsense, it fits perfectly in my large hands, I much prefer the softer fee of the face buttons and dpad and I like the shoulders and triggers more too. I think Sony really nailed it with this controller. I kinda prefer the Xbox 360 controller in many ways over modern Xbox controllers, especially the bumpers and triggers.

Apr 3, 2018
I've long hated PlayStation control controllers, especially when compared to the 360/XB1 ones. It really hasn't been close. And I really enjoy the X/S controller, even if I find the D pad incredibly noisy.

But the DualSense just feels incredible. Like a premium accessory. Independent of the haptic wizardry, the thing just feels wonderful to hold. Face buttons have a great touch to them.

I've only had maybe a dozen hours with it, but man, it really feels like a next-gen leap.