• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What was your history with Mass Effect?

• Mass Effect Legendary Edition will be my first time playing

Votes: 219 12.8%
  • I played all 3 games in order on one system with all DLC

Votes: 546 32.0%
  • I played all 3 games but didn't experience all DLC missions

Votes: 503 29.5%
  • I played all 3 games, but out of order or on different systems

Votes: 86 5.0%
  • I played 1 or 2 of the games, but not all three

Votes: 317 18.6%
  • I played Mass Effect Infiltration. And only Mass Effect Infiltration.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have no interest in Mass Effect. Why am I here?

Votes: 35 2.1%

• Total voters

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Mass Effect I played initially on X360 with all the DLC. Then I played it years later on PS3. Same exact order with Mass Effect 2 (first on X360 with DLC, and then later on PS3 with DLC). I've played those games many times (Renegade/Paragon and with both genders). Mass Effect 3 I played on PS3 once and never touched it again.

obeast

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was and remain very interested in the franchise. However, anytime I started playing Mass Effect 1, I lose interest pretty quickly because of the stiff character animations and bland voiceovers and characters. It bored me to tears.

Everyone who says Mass Effect 2 is one of the best games of all time, I believe them, but my OCD won't let me skip ME1 and so far I haven't been able to get invested enough in the first game.

I'm excited to play Legendary Edition, but it will absolutely be the last chance I give the series.

ME1 is my favorite of the trilogy (although ME2 is much more replayable), but I do think a lot of people who are new to the franchise are likely to have a rough time with even the remastered version. There are a lot of things I'm willing to put up with in that game (the combat, loot system, some of the animations, some of the dialogue, most of the exploration), likely due to nostalgia smoothing over the rough edges, that I think will not land that well on players who are accustomed to more modern games. Even the character work, which is strong but not as good on average as ME2's or even ME3's, will probably seem a little thin.

I think it's just hard to recapture what a revelation ME1 felt like when it came out, with its careful, thoughtful take on a hard(ish) sci-fi space opera setting (married to then-impressive visuals), and its emphasis on character and dialogue.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
started in e3 2006 and never looked back

This trailer made me believe in next-gen on the 360. Mass Effect 1 was so incredibly hype.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Where's the poll option for "I only played some of ME3" since that's what I did with it being on PS Plus at one point.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
I played ME 1 on the 360, and then ME 2 and 3 on the PS3, but I never got a chance to play the Citadel DLC for it, so I'm looking forward to giving that a spin.

Also, really, REALLY hoping that they let you make your Shep in ME1 and not have to do it again two more times with each new game. Let your shep's character model carry over.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Picked up the complete trilogy when it came out about a year after Mass Effect 3 released, a little while before Citadel just in time to soak in all three games and appreciate all the in-jokes it had.

My first playthrough was as a Soldier and you should never play Soldier.

My second was as a Vanguard and I tried to make an effort to roleplay my Shepard as a man who was desperate to prove himself in the military because he thought he was only getting ahead thanks to his parents, biotic abilities, and pity for surviving on Akuze. This was easier but not perfect in ME1 and by the time of ME3 where Shepard acts directly without player input all but impossible.

Afterwards I sold off my 360 and all my games because I realized that ME3 really just kills my enthusiasm for the series as a whole and at the time I was still really into ME2. Much later I repurchased the trilogy on PS3 and did another Vanguard playthrough, but if I'm remembering correctly I never replayed ME3 at this time and eventually, got rid of this copy too.

I don't even really like ME2 anymore so I don't know if I will be getting the remastered trilogy, but if nothing else the ambition of Mass Effect was there and I eagerly look forward to other games taking what worked and going from there.

Last edited:

RCSI

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I've done sporadic playthroughs of 1 & 2 around when they released. Replayed them with the DLCs purchased (nightmare) 2013-2016, but never got to ME3. I actually started Andromeda, and proceeded to drop it, before I touched ME3. Then last year I wanted to actually playthrough them all in one go. I got through the first 2 and started 3 before other games took my interest, especially in light of the games releasing as a package.

Bjorktribe

Jan 1, 2021
Played through ME1 on xbox 360 twice
Played through ME2 on PC four times
Played through 3 on PC...maybe twice?
Played though Andromeda on Xbox One

Absolutely loved these stories! really dug deep into the lore and read a few books. This will be a pre-order, but I haven't decided if I'm going to spend $150 to get a helmet yet.

Wouldn't be mad about Andromeda 2!

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
I'm playing Andromeda and think it's ok enough to give the series a shot.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
I bought the triple pack? for PS3 in 2015 and played for the first time, I fell in love instantly, I think the only DLC I didn't played was the one with Zaeed Massani.

DSoup

Oct 28, 2017
London
I played the original Mass Effect trilogy on PC in 2016 (MEUITM texture mods for ME1 and ME2) and controller mods for all three plus Mass Effect Andromeda on PS4 Pro and I enjoyed all four games. Each was the perfect length for me without DLC and generally speaking, I'm not revisiting a completed game - I am more likely to just replay it from the start.

I am hugely looking forward to replaying Legendary Edition on PS5.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Played all 3 games as they came out, all on PC.
Also played most of the DLCs, but not all (I'm missing one or two of the bigger ones)

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
ME1 was my first purchased Xbox 360 games and exposure to HD gaming. Amazing experience (Bioware was a fave coming off Baldurs Gate, KOTOR, and Jade Empire). Adored the worst, loved the story and choices, just found it a little short and clunky to play

Preordered the special edition Mass Effect 2 for 360 (I think I rarely do)- this wound up being one of my favorite games of all time. Just a masterpiece, even as a standalone game (even if it is the "middle chapter" of a trilogy.)

Wound up rebuying ME2 when it came later to PS3, just because THAT became my console of choice, later on in the generation and then "finished the fight" with ME3. I, like many, despised the ending. But the "journey" is still worth it.

Played Andromeda a month or so after launch after some patches came, but got ghosted by EA in short order. Mostly liked it, but yeah, not as strong as the trilogy, not that it ever got chance to develop into anything, get DLC/sequels, etc.

Super excited to play the trilogy again, and to just have it all together on one platform.

OP
OP
Garlador

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I played the games in order, but on different systems. Didn't see that option so I just picked the second.
That was "I played all 3 games, but out of order or on different systems".

The main idea is that players that did that had player progression from game-to-game restricted.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
I didnt like ME1, played maybe 6 hours of it. I played all of ME2, really enjoyed it. I was really hyped for ME3, but I never did end up beating the game, I did put around 20 hours in to it. Overall 2 was my favorite, 3 felt a little flat, since nothing I did in part 2 made much difference.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
How the fuck were they able to release me3 just 2 years after 2 that even had some dlc? Just... how?

Bioware Magic ™ also known as crunching its developers to death.

ME3 was incredibly rushed, as its ending, lack of holstering, and random turret sections also affirm

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
I only played a lot of the second one and I liked it a lot. It was borrowed so I couldn't beat it. I tried to get into the first one years later but I felt like it was pretty jank when I tried it?

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Played 1 and 2 on 360 at least 6 times each I think. All achievements, highest difficulties, male/female Shep, paragon/renegade. Basically everything you could do in the game I did.

Then replayed 1+2 on PC probably at least another 3 times each.

Played ME3 I think 2.5 times on PC, My last play through with the ugliest male Shep I could make I didn't get to far in.
Still haven't done a "Renegade" play through of 3 because it just felt too shitty to doom multiple races with your asshole choices.

Andromeda I played 1.5 times. My second playthrough was with mods which did make the game a lot better, but it was still so goddamn boring to go through the open world stuff all over again and I quit halfway though. The story choices you make barely feel like they make any difference between play throughs too.

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've played all the DLC except for Citadel because I was justifiably burned out on the idea of dropping $20 CAD to go back to ME3 nearly a year after completing the game.

Nov 1, 2017
I played all three in order on PC. I played Mass Effect about a year after it came out, then 2 and 3 at launch. DLC-wise, I played everything, but I feel like I skipped Overlord initially and only tackled it on a revisit just before ME3's release.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Played ME1 ages ago and I can only remember the bigger plot beats, and missed out on some DLCs (I did play the 'big ones' like Lair o/t Shadow Broker, Leviathan and Citadel but missed out on Omega and Arrival for example). So yeah, looking forward to dive back in what is probably my favorite 'Gaming-Trilogy', warts n all.

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
PC all the way so far, though I'm looking at PS5 for the Legendary Edition.

Played 1 + 2 + 3 all the way through back in 2011/2.

Played through 1 + 2 and a little bit of 3, plus some of the DLC, in...2015? 2016?

Last month I installed some mods and went through the intro of 1, but I couldn't get over the stuttering.

Still have never played some of the DLC from 2 + 3. I haven't even seen the Extended Cut endings.

obeast

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bioware Magic ™ also known as crunching its developers to death.

ME3 was incredibly rushed, as its ending, lack of holstering, and random turret sections also affirm

Even ME1 was visibly rushed - so many recycled assets. I think you'd have to go a loong way back - to KOTOR, or maybe even BG2 -- to find a Bioware game where you can't see the bloody fingerprints of crunch/rush.

Azaan60

Mar 18, 2020
Played through the entire Trilogy back in 2014 with all DLC's.

ME1 was a slog but ME2 & ME3 were amazing.

So hyped for the Legendary Edition.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
played it on 360 with dlc and all. im not playing this again unless i get to play it on a portable. its a great game but its BC anyways..

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
Even ME1 was visibly rushed - so many recycled assets. I think you'd have to go a loong way back - to KOTOR, or maybe even BG2 -- to find a Bioware game where you can't see the bloody fingerprints of crunch/rush.

Yeah but ME1 had longer dev time than its sequels, but it was also suffering from early versions of the UE3 tools. Bioware had a lot of trouble with those tools and it wasn't until ME2 that they had matured enough for Bioware to get a bit better with their production pipeline.

The other game that was also using early versions of UE3 was Too Human, as far as I recall.

Ojli

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
Played the first game when it came out on Xbox 360. I have Mass Effect 2 unopened in it's box still and have not played it. Now I have a Series X with GamePass Ultimate until end of 2023 and will hopefully play the Legendary edition when it comes to EA Play (on GPU)

oneils

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa Canada
That was "I played all 3 games, but out of order or on different systems".

The main idea is that players that did that had player progression from game-to-game restricted.

Ah, I took it as an "either or" but after re-reading I see that I read it wrong. Yeah I originally played 1 and 2 on pc and then 3 on ps3. I remember filling out a questionnaire or something like that to carry over progression. Can't remember. I later replayed it all on pc.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
the hype leadup to ME1 was really cool. I remember watching the character spotlights a lot with the amazing synth music blasting over it. So much mystery and wonder going on in what all these characters were talking about back then:

Wrex' and Tali's section in that trailer was soooo good it gave me chills. I was really curious and interested in what the hell these cool new races were.

I also remember a game journalist taking a picture of ME1s Uncharted World before the game had been released to stores and everyone getting super hyped just from that image alone when it was shared across the web:

KiTv21W.jpg

it really piqued your imagination and made you think of the possibilities that the game offered in terms of space and exploration. Too bad Bioware took a strong departure from all of that cool Star Trek stuff from ME1 and went all shootbang grimdark in ME2.

Last edited:

spacer

Oct 30, 2017
Where is the option for, "I played all 3 games and every DLC, in order, on every playtform, and have any trophy and achievement. It's my favorite franchise in gaming."?

spool

Oct 27, 2017
All three games on Xbox360, with most of the DLC. I skipped some of the ME3 DLC since I was a bit disappointed in the game. I bought the games again on Origin and Steam with all DLC. I still haven't played much of them on PC.

Time for the Legendary Edition.

Taneleer

Dec 20, 2017
PNW
I played ME 1-3 on the Xbox 360, finished all the DLC for 1 and 2. I bought the DLC for 3 but haven't finished Omega and Leviathan yet. Might finally play them before the Legendary edition is released.

I also have all 3 in the PS3, but haven't gotten past the 10 hour mark on the first one, trying to debate if I should even play them now, just get them on the PS5 in the future.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
I played all three games with all dlc on PC

Mass Effect 1 - Steam
Mass effect 2 - origin
Mass effect 3 - origin

I paid $5 for 1
I paid $10 for 2 and about $40 for the dlc
I paid $15 for 3 and about $55 for the dlc

I am gonna do it all again except wait for a sale 😂

dmr87

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
First playthrough was on PC at launch, did most of the DLC. Paragon.
Second playthrough was on PS3 and then I did Renegade.

Oct 25, 2017
Played 4 hours of ME1(on my PS3 after PS4 released) liked it but was a bit outdated and a pain to setup.
Played Andromeda and it was probably my game of the year loved it.

Want to see the supposed greatness of them beyond the excellent surface level stuff(great alien and aesthetic designs)

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
If they fix the ending to the trilogy, I'll buy this day 1. If not, I'll steer clear. I love myself too much to let Bioware emotionally abuse me again.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I've already played through the trilogy with all story DLC a number of times. Looking forward to do it again on the Legendary Edition.