• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Did you receive a notification in the past month of unidentified intrusion on your Nintendo account?

• Yes

Votes: 37 7.4%
  • No

Votes: 462 92.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
I"m keeping the poll binary, just yes/no. If you ever created a Nintendo Network ID on Wii U or 3DS, or you have an active Nintendo account on Switch, I'd appreciate your reply. Same if you did or didn't turn on 2FA. (Meaning, if you already had 2FA on and never got a notice, please gimme that sweet, sweet "no" vote.) I may use this poll's results elsewhere. Go to town in the replies about specific stories, about repeat intrusions, whatever.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
I did not receive anything or have my account hacked. I do have a NNID from 3ds linked to my active switch account and did not have 2fa on. I do have a pretty strong password though and my 3ds account is newer made within the last 2 years. Not sure if that affects anything but who knows.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Didn't get one (My 3DS/Wii U NNID is linked as well) but unlinked my card and added 2FA once I saw the thread on it happening.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't receive any notice. No suspicious activity in the sign-in history. I didn't have 2FA activated, but I also don't have a credit card tied to my account.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Don't think I have 2FA on for that and no, didn't get a notification.

Created mine on the 3DS back in the day.

Caeda

Oct 25, 2017
Danbury, CT
My account was hacked a little over a month ago, the week before New Horizons came out. Is that close enough to count as yes?

I think I only got a notification when $200 of purchases for vbucks were made.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I use LastPass and have a strong, unique password, as well as having 2FA via Authy enabled since I made my Nintendo account. I never had a NNID.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Yep. Got a notification somebody accessed it, and immediately changed the password. Got another notification that it was accessed, so I turned on 2FA.

Nothing was spent or lost, but still - not a fun experience. Nintendo's online experience has always been bad, but this is the first time I felt like my personal information was actually at risk because I allowed Nintendo to access it.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
I did not receive anything or have my account hacked. I do have a NNID from 3ds linked to my active switch account and did not have 2fa on. I do have a pretty strong password though and my 3ds account is newer made within the last 2 years. Not sure if that affects anything but who knows.
This exactly describes my situation pre hack. I have now enabled 2FA.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
No hack or notification, but i also have had 2FA enabled ever since the option was there + i use unique PWs with every account.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
didn't receive a notice nor have I had any hack attempts. had an NNID but I had 2FA since day one

Haribo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nope, didn't find out until I read an article about it. My friend got hacked beginning of April, we assumed it was a one off thing

Claris

Oct 29, 2017
Yes, I'd gotten several emails about logins from Russia late last/early this month, before turning on 2FA.

RCSI

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I did not get a notice of an unknown intrusion (no suspicious activity listed on my account).
I have yet to be emailed of a breach news from Nintendo as of this post.
I turned on my 2fa shortly after the thread on this forum.
I had my Nintendo Network ID linked.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Heard nothing about any intrusion to my account, but I made sure to turn on 2FA after I heard about the breaches
Someone was trying to break into my Blizzard account during this timeframe though

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
No notice, didn't have 2FA on, but do now.

I did however get one of those spam emails that says it knew my password and its recorded my webcam blah blah a few days ago. Had one of my old, old passwords on it too.

neilyadig

Nov 13, 2017
No notice, been using Nintendo Network ID since the day it was made available on 3DS. Enabled 2FA after reading the news.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Created a NNID during the 3DS days.
Linked said NNID to my Nintendo account.
Enabled 2FA days before reports of the hack showed up.

Didn't get an e-mail about a random login from abroad.

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
I did get notified of a log-in on a new device (Malaysia) and that I should confirm it was me. No 2FA. Changed PW and logged out of all devices through their website. I did have other suspicious activity happening recently with Google but no successful log-ins because the passwords were differnet.

Edit: The Nintendo access was yesterday and the google attempts were maybe on 4/20-4/21 ish, may be unrelated.

coopolon

Oct 25, 2017
i did not. I have a nnid linked and it was actually how i always logged in, I never used my Nintendo account.

But my nnid was strong random password that was only used for that one account so unless they hacked Nintendo, which it doesn't sound like they did, I was never in any danger. I also turned on 2fa two days ago when reading everyone else's stories.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
No, when I changed the region eshop once NNID was unlinked to my account and I didn't see any good reason to re-link it.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't. I've had my account since last December and I enabled 2FA when I made it.

Oct 29, 2017
Florida
No account breaches for me, created by NNID back when that launched on the 3DS, it is connected to my Nintendo account.

Didn't have 2FA enabled though, but I did enable it when the reports of breaches started coming in.

Smokeymicpot

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah got a e-mail last week about it.

A new device has been used to sign in to this Nintendo Account.

Device:
Date and time: 4/17/2020 16:51

darthbob

One Winged Slayer
Nov 20, 2017
Had made a NNID years ago for my 3DS, enabled 2FA a few days ago, no email from Nintendo about any intrusions.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
No. I might have had an NNID but i dont think it was ever tied to my nintendo account if i did. Didnt have 2FA on initially but flipped it on after the initial thread about nintendo accounts being hacked while i was checking to see if someone accessed my account (they hadnt)

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
I had no notice and no 2FA. I have a NNID but I don't think I was using it to log into my Nintendo account.

Stoof

Oct 25, 2017
Yup, April 15th from Kenya. I used my NNID back in the day to make the account so it tracks. I've already changed my password and added 2FA

MarcelRguez

Nov 7, 2018
No. My account was created back when they first introduced NNID. I didn't have 2FA set up, but I've done so now.

Woodbeam

May 6, 2019
Nothing here. Had an NNID linked, NNID and Nintendo Account had separate passwords, had 2FA. If you're intending to publish an article about this, please consider making some noise about the highly cumbersome and potentially insecure process of managing NNID credentials. I'll just quote myself here:
It's really ridiculous that the only way to freely change your NNID credentials is to use an actual 3DS or Wii U. Up until now there was the ability to reset the password on Nintendo's website, which I made use of a couple of days ago when word of these fraudulent account logins first came out, but removing the ability to log in using an NNID has also removed that process. EDIT: The NNID credential reset process is still online, it just isn't looped into the Nintendo Account login process anymore. It's here: https://id.nintendo.net/login (the "What is a Nintendo Network ID?" link leads to a 404 lol)

On top of that, the password reset only sent a relatively weak "temporary" password that I'm now forced to keep unless I use an actual legacy device to change it. No idea why the Nintendo Account system has always had the ability to freely change passwords from the website while the NNID one didn't.

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
Yep. Got an email last week saying "there's been a new sign-in with your Nintendo Account" from the United States somewhere (I'm in Canada), from what Nintendo's website called "an unidentifiable device." I changed my Nintendo Account password and it happened again this week. That's when I realized it was because they were signing in using my Nintendo Network ID, so I busted out my Wii U to change that password as well, also I enabled 2FA. Didn't see any new charges to my credit card/paypal either time.

Jun 2, 2019
Neither notification nor intrusion. My account wasn't affected at all, my sister's neither. We both used NNID as login method

Changed to 2FA and login by e-mail for both first day the breach was rumored.

Ryan_09

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Fort Wayne, IN, USA
No. I went ahead and changed all of the relevant passwords, set up 2FA, and checked if I've been pwned after seeing the headline here. I would have set up 2FA before, but didn't realize Nintendo Accounts had it available when I first created it. I'm fairly certain I lucked out and wasn't hit.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
I have not and I've checked the login history and it was just me. But since the news broke I have enabled 2FA.

(I had no idea Nintendo offered it)

Edit: Oh and my account was linked to my Nintendo Network ID account on 3DS too.