• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you want the next 3D Mario to copy Bowser´s Fury structure?

• Yes! It is fantastic. Just make more/bigger "islands/worlds" and I am all set.

Votes: 112 50.0%
  • Yes, but with some tweaks I am going to detail in my comment...

Votes: 27 12.1%
  • No, it was okay as a one shot thing/experiment but that´s it.

Votes: 85 37.9%

• Total voters

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
screenshot05

Soo Bowser´s Fury came out 2 weeks ago and I think it is time to start considering this, given that many players (specially here, I guess) have been able to test this new formula Nintendo has came up with.

I 100%ed this mode the weekend the game came out, so from my point of view, this is a good direction for the 3D series going forward. I think the Bowser´s appearance shouldn´t be repeated as this gameplay loop would be too risky for a new main entry. But I really liked the structure, and I trust Nintendo´s level design mastery to nail a new game with this structure.

What is your opinion on this?

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't played it, but as I understand it, it's basically open world Mario, which sounds pretty fucking sweet. As long as the map is diverse and full of inventive stuff, I'm all for it.

KOfLegend

Jun 17, 2019
Yes, I prefer this approach to Odyssey. I agree with the other users though, no water and definitely no fury-esque mechanic.

qatak

Oct 27, 2017
I loved Bowser's Fury but would more like to see the open level design brought into the next mario (with more visual variety) rather than all of the mechanics (like big bowser/kaiju fights and the Plessy as only mode of transport - didn't love either of those)

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Yes. I dislike the water and in a full game the boss should appear in giant form less frequently (if at all), but I really like the idea of mini challenges for each star/shine/wtv and I think it would really work in a full-blown open-world Mario.

Nirvanes

Nov 17, 2020
I'm currently like halfway through. One problem.
It's still leveled based, even if with an open world structure, and that would be totally fine and cool if that didn't bring up an old problem with it. You are unable to get every cat sun from a "level" in your first try. It's like galaxy and sunshine in a way... you have to "beat it" once, and only when you get out and come back yu'll be able to get all the stuff in it.

For a guy who likes to collect everything from the get go it seems really counter intuitive and annoying.

Still, I'm enjoying the hell out of it, even after putting 25h in 3D World. Bowser's ascension is so creepy and cool lol I would never thought I would ever dread Bowser in any way LOL

With that said, I'm still more enthusiastic about a Odyssey 2.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I like the open world, but not crazy about the constant Bowser interruptions. I know it's part of the gameplay loop as far as unlocking things you can't when he's not attacking, but honestly I don't really care for it. It's fine as a short experimental experience but that's it.

RoadDogg

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, but only if there is way less water, it expands the move set beyond 3D World, and it comes out within the next 12 months. If they are going to take longer I rather they innovate further and come up with a new idea.

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
I like the open world, but not crazy about the constant Bowser interruptions. I know it's part of the gameplay loop as far as unlocking things you can't when he's not attacking, but honestly I don't really care for it. It's fine as a short experimental experience but that's it.
Would you say it's better if you have the Bowser amiibo to call him when you want, then?

Orbis

Oct 25, 2017
UK
So the way I'd have it is, much bigger open world with some bigger individual level areas. They don't all need to be huge, in fact the majority could be the size of the islands in Bowser's Fury. The Bowser mechanic could perhaps be something that isn't constant but when you get to certain areas, or manually summon, or just reach a certain threshold.

I think for Bowser's Fury it all works great but for a full and bigger game I'd want some changes.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I think from what little time I have had with it that it might not be a good idea to have a game full of these "levels" each with their own "respawning boss" mechanic. Maybe from a basic level design standpoint I'd be ok with it but bowser needs some work.

Like if I go back to Odyssey and think "how would I improve this" I don't think I would arrive at Bowser's Fury.

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017
I never was big into the whole open world Mario idea until I saw this game in action - and now I must have this.

Having different support friends "Yoshi, frog suit, plessie etc" to explore areas that only those power ups could go to, different platforming challenges and stuumbling across them as you traverse areas in the mushroom kingdom. Bowser's fury was perfect, bite sized, and left me wanting more. Even Bowser was actually formidable this time around. I want to see more unique ideas. I wonder if this was younger members of EAD getting their voices heard?

My only issue is the banked Powerups seemed a bit cheap.

Rewind

Oct 27, 2017
Game got pretty repetitive, I wish there were less repeated mechanics such as the shadow Luigi or collecting the cat shines. Also thought the fury bowser part was not good, I hated waiting for him or dropping what I was doing to go stand in front of blocks. The opposite was also true where I was just restarting the game if he got mad during some platforming thing. Some of the levels I thought weren't very good, I'm thinking of the clear pipe, switch rails, and invisible tower levels. Would have been better if those were 1 off levels with a unique challenge tied to them.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's hard to say because part of the reason Bowser's Fury works so well is precisely because it's so bite sized. It reminds me of Portal 1/2 in how, at a surface glance, they squeezed out all the juice out of this particular setup with the resources they granted it, so if a follow-up wants to capitalize on the foundation, they'll have to reconsider aspects of the design to make it fall more in line in a full length capacity.

I still think Odyssey is a better game than it but I loved my time with Bowser's Fury. I consider it a really replayable Mario game, and I definitely think the next 3D Mario will do good looking at what worked in it, while building upon the free feeling movement of Odyssey. I think trying for a seamless batch of worlds with more dynamic flow, possibly world altering gimmicks and set pieces, is definitely something they'll entertain.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty good, and I wouldn't mind if they did more of the same, but the Bowser mechanic here, while fun for this game, is not something I'd want to have to contend with for a full Mario adventure.

Oct 27, 2017
Probably going to echo what others have said, but I'd be into a fully open world Mario game with some tweaks. I'd definitely get rid of Bowser as he is already annoying in a limited experience. I'd also want the areas to be crafted in a way that most everything is available when you get there instead of having the level change upon repeat visits, or tie some of that stuff to time of day or another system. I'd also want some small collectibles to find between the major level areas. Overall though, a Mario game that combines the best aspects from Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyssey has the potential to be amazing.

Deleted member 91227

Feb 4, 2021
Have to vote no, though I'd still buy and play a game in this open world style.

I am enjoying it, 60 some shines in, but there's too much I don't like. I'm just fatigued on open worlds and the time spend exploring/traversing isn't very fun to me.

I definitely don't much like the Fury Bowser mechanic. Too much time spent waiting for him to show up to break some blocks, and having him show up and be annoying when just trying to do something else. I could live with an open world full length game, but not with that mechanic.

In any case, I just prefer the Galaxy and 3D Land/World style that's more linear platforming focused (with some more open areas) to the 64/Sunshine/Odyssey/Bowser's Fury formula. I'd rather spend more time platforming and less traversing and looking for hidden things, collecting things etc. But I do enjoy both styles, just a matter of how much.

Krooner

Oct 27, 2017
i'd have to say no, they can scratch that itch for me by opening up som of the levels/worlds, but I enjoy the fresh ideas and hooks that levels introduce. I think Mario is best when it's trying new things tbh.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played it myself but from what I've watched of others playing it BF seems like it takes the worst elements of each style of 3D Mario and would collapse in a larger experience where those downsides would be much more prominent and bothersome. There's probably a way to make a large open world Mario game work but Bowser's Fury doesn't show that.

The Bear

Forest Animal
Oct 25, 2017
I like the instant load times and the combination of exploration but also focused platforming. So yes please!

But I don't want to have constant fury Bowser attacks for a full game.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I'm definitely curious to see them iterate on it. Have multiple worlds where some are open from the start and others gradually unravel like Bowsers Fury. As long as they don't reuse the Fury style timed mechanic again because while it worked in Bowsers Fury, sometimes you're waiting around by some blocks that can only be destroyed by fire because it's easier to wait than remember about them later while Bowser is active.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
No I want to see an Odyssey 2, I enjoyed Bowser's Fury for what it was but I really missed Cappy.

Wowzors

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
People voting no are out of their minds. This is the best Mario since 64 easy. I agree with the random bowser events not being needed in the next Mario. I would prefer after a set amount of stars or an event on an island the boss appears ala bowser event.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Yes.

With less water and with the game not running in slow motion half the time, but yes.

FreddeGredde

Oct 27, 2017
Is it really THAT different from Mario Odyssey though? I mean, the main difference is that there's way more platforming in Bowser's Fury, and that you gradually unlock more and more of the world so it becomes much bigger than any in Odyssey.

So if you're asking if I want mainly platform oriented challenges in the next Mario, then yes, absolutely!
And I definitely prefer an organic "believable" world structure rather than the panorama "it's just little toy playgrounds" design of Mario 3D World.

To me it's the best of both worlds, though I agree that there needs to be more mission variation than in Bowser's Fury, and new mechanics and power-ups introduced along the way, but I think having several worlds can solve that issue, say, 5 Bowser's Fury sized worlds in one game? One of them can be a water world.

That would be sweet.

Farmboy

Oct 27, 2017
I liked BF a lot and the open structure is great, but:

- Make it more interesting and varied than a lake with islands
- Make traversal more fun and interesting than Plessie (which was great for what it was but wouldn't fit a more sprawling world)
- Restore the Odyssey moveset (captures could work quite well in an open world/for traversal - see: the spark, the bullet bills - but a new gimmick would be fine too)
- Ditch the Bowser interruptions

There were hints/theories that Sunshine was going to be open world at one point (based mostly on being able to see other levels on the horizon; no idea if there was ever any more evidence than that), that could work. Really, just connecting different concepts and challenges in a more cohesive whole is what BF did, and what an expanded version of that should be.

Semajer

Oct 27, 2017
No. I don't like having to move to a different island to make the next star appear. It's basically the level select from Mario 64 but slower.

Dec 2, 2020
SMG3!

I liked BF as an experiment but I like an overworld like SM64 or the original SMG. Those (especially SMG) are the only games to ever do the epicness of Mario in 3D justice imo from a presentation stand point. 3D World is extremely bland and safe imo filled with 90 second levels that hint at great ideas never fully explored. SMO was brilliant but suffered from the sheer volume of moons as well as the ability to buy them (which devalues them further). The World, visuals and music in SMO were spot on though.

I've never properly played SMS (I'm hoping they make it 60fps on the next Switch).

When do people expect the next 3D Mario game? They've went a bit crazy with him lately. Just noticed they've essentially annualised his games...

2017 - SMO
2018 - NSMB U.
2019 - SMM2.
2020 - SM3DAS.
2021 - SM3DW + BF.

With BotW 2 not looking likely for this Winter I think we might get the next one although I guess the team have been making BF and doing the Wii U ports.

skullwaker

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think so actually. I loved Bowser's Fury but it didn't feel nearly as diverse or varied as Odyssey (which I know it's a smaller-scale experience, but still). I like having big open areas that are separate from each other so they can really go all out with ideas.

I think it would be nice to have a big, open hub like BF in the next 3D Mario though. Like have it be where you select your worlds.