• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you prefer to play on a monitor or on a big TV?

• I prefer to play on a monitor.

Votes: 213 18.6%
  • I prefer to play on a big TV.

Votes: 713 62.2%
  • It really depends on the game/system (please specify in the comments)

Votes: 220 19.2%

• Total voters

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I have been wondering this as of lately.

I play 90% of the time on a monitor (27 inches), in my bedroom, cause I like to be on my own space. When I change and I move one of my consoles to the living room to play for an hour or so, in one of these few occasions, I don´t perceive a night and day difference then playing on a 50 inches screen. For me, I think the fact of playing on a big TV doesn´t improve the gaming experience dramatically. It could make some scenes or specific games more spectacular, but thats about it.

I think this may be because I like to have all the visual information on a more contained screen, I don´t know. What about you?

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I'm all about that big TV life. Ever since I got a 77 LG CX I haven't used anything else. I don't even have a computer monitor anymore except for work

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I only prefer TV for third person cinematic games, everything else monitor.

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
I'd say it depends on the kind of game, but I think that's more of a controller vs KB+mouse thing

When I have a choice and all other things are equal, I tend to pick the big TV by a small margin. I have no issue bouncing between the two for the same game (thank you Steam cloud saves)

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
My TV is 1080p 60hz, so monitor easily. Even if I was gaming on our 4K TV, I'd still take my monitor for the superior refresh rate.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
My monitor has a higher hz and a better IQ than my 4K TV so Monitor for me.

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I prefer a big TV, but I have no issue with playing on a monitor. The only thing I don't really care for is the handheld experience. I'll play that way if there are no other options, but I hate being hunched over a tiny screen.

Jan 27, 2018
I had to buy a stopgap monitor to use with my PS5. Hoping they rollout the HDMI 2.1 models soon and they start dropping in price. Ideally want to pick up a 32 inch to upgrade on my 28 now.

Dablado

Jan 1, 2019
Anything played with a controller is played on a TV.

Monitor only for K+M games.

It feels super weird to play with a controller at a desk/in a chair.

Deleted member 91227

Feb 4, 2021
Big TV. Prefer the size and being on a couch and just can't stomach doing anything at my desk after so many hours working there. I also hate kb/m controls (mostly mouse games are fine). I'm pretty much over pc gaming so it's just consoles on the TV and occasionally some Switch handheld for me.

pksu

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Depends on a game. Most single-player AAA games I play on a TV & controller, sweaty multiplayers using monitor and RTS & CRPGs on a laptop or monitor.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Depends on the system. For consoles, I always play on my big TV.

For my PC, I play at a desk with M&KB. I spent a lot of years with the PC plugged in to my TV and it was largely fine but, ultimately, I realised that a lot of games I play on PC were more comfy when sat at a desk with my keyboard (and mouse and flightstick etc)

FinFunnels

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I play on a monitor at my desk. I prefer it this way since I have multiple monitors and can easily multitask. But I do sometimes miss relaxing on a sofa for those long gaming sessions. My current apartment doesn't have the space for one, though.

Jul 1, 2020
Depends on the game. I really don't want to play an RTS or other strategy games on a TV. I'm pretty neutral on other genres. It really depends on whether the UI is mean't to fit on a TV and be readable at 10ft or farther away.

tobes231

Prophet of Truth
Jul 10, 2019
Australia
Definitely depends on the kind of game. FPSs = monitor, TPSs = either, Racers = TV etc. As others have said, it obviously goes hand-in-hand with the preferred type of control method for each genre.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
Games that require KBM = Monitor
Anything that allows a controller = TV

RTS and FPS and management games I play on my monitor. I switch my PC over to my TV via Steam Big Picture when I play third-person games and RPGs and so on with a controller.

Dance Inferno

Oct 29, 2017
Generally prefer TV for most things, even though it might not be the optimal way to play competitive games for instance. Stuff just looks better on a big screen generally. Strategy games are easier to play on a monitor though.

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
I've always preferred playing on monitor and chair. Even my consoles ever since the Xbox 360.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It depends. MMOs (outside of FFXIV) and competitive FPS I have to play on a monitor, but I can play other stuff on a big TV, sure. The TV/home theater experience is probably my favorite honestly.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Monitor. The higher pixel density means stuff generally looks nicer to me, as it's sharper. It also feels more ... "intimate", while sitting in front of the TV often makes me become more passive, for the lack of a better description.

Oct 25, 2017
Depends on game. AAA single player experiences with a controller on the TV. Mouse-driven games and shooters on the monitor.

wallmeat

Oct 28, 2017
Most games I prefer monitor, especially since a lot of the time I'm playing on PC with kb/m. I like playing Switch handheld a lot too, but I'll dock it sometimes and play on my living room TV depending on the game.

Omniblack

Jul 10, 2020
I love playing on my monitor, but since living with my SO a lot of it has moved to the tv. However, when it's bare knuckle competitive games with my friends, I say "sorry babe, my people need me", and go to my desk and switch the input to the monitor.

psilocybe

Oct 27, 2017
It is always a tough question.

- 55" 4K TV
- 34" 3440x1440 ultrawide monitor , 120 Hz

they are right next to each other in the living room.

FPS is always in the monitor. Third person games are the "problem". Some games I can play both on m/kb and gamepad. With these I'm always thorn on which display to play. Sometimes I play on both. One day is monitor, the other day is TV.

Swerbs

Oct 27, 2017
I play on my monitor for COD then the TV for everything else. PS5 hooked up to both using a switch.

ethranes

A King's Landing
Oct 27, 2017
xcom, civ, total wal, mmo, monitor

rdr2, tlou2, gow tv

How is there any other answer than this

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
Might sound like a dumb reason, but playing on a monitor on my room gives me intimacy, which makes me more likely to play certain stuff. If I start playing Zelda in the living room I might have my family making fun of all the shouts that Link makes for example, or I might ignore some dumb skit or costume in a Tales/xenoblade cutscene when playing alone, but I could feel like they'd question it if it showed up and end up not wanting to boot it up.

As for when I'm alone... I do like using the TV since it's easier to say "ok, it's time to go to sleep/do something else" and close everything. If you have the bed behind you you might even end up playing on the bed and postponing sleep.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
It really depends what I'm playing.
Online fps I prefer on pc with keyboard and mouse and high refresh monitor.

If I'm simply playing a SP game, then I would prefer my 55" 4k oled with a controller.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I would pay a reasonably high amount of money for a seamless foolproof KVM switch that is hdmi 2.1 compatible and can do a 10m run

BlueKaty

Nov 30, 2020
It depends. For fighting games I prefer a monitor because I'm sitting closer to that compared to a TV and I don't have to use my glasses either. I'm getting the better experience there. Same would apply to first person shooters but that's because mouse and keyboard are right there in front of my PC monitor.

For everything else I prefer a comfy TV and couch setup. I'll play fighting games on a TV too though.

Kudo

Oct 25, 2017
I'd prefer to play everything on TV, but due to mouse & keyboard not really fitting for couch I play FPS and MMO on monitors (and some PC multiplayer games regardless of genre).

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
competitive games, I prefer a monitor with a headset and for single player stuff I prefer a big TV with proper surround sound.

retrosega

Jun 14, 2019
My mancave set up and the moment has got a 40" TV and a 14" CRT on a desktop.

40" on a desk is overkill but I'm used to it now and quite like the crazy size up close.