• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Did you buy a copy of The Outer Worlds or are you playing it with Game Pass?

• Bought the game (retail)

Votes: 104 3.8%
  • Bought the game (digital)

Votes: 171 6.3%
  • Game Pass (free trial or $1-2 offer)

Votes: 952 34.9%
  • Game Pass (normal price)

Votes: 1,155 42.4%
  • Haven’t bought it yet

Votes: 345 12.7%

• Total voters

Nezacant

Oct 27, 2017
I had gamepass already but I also bought it on EGS so that my wife and I could play it at the same time.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
I have Game Pass Ultimate, but a friend gave me their code they got for buying an AMD Ryzen CPU. However, are game pass games mod supported? Because that would have been a deciding factor for me for non MS exclusive games as to where I play them.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
I got that insane Game Pass Ultimate deal back when it was a dolla dolla. I am considering buying this game outright to support them, though.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
I had gamepass already but I also bought it on EGS so that my wife and I could play it at the same time.
I'm not sure if you are only on PC, but two people can play Gamepass games between multiple Xbox consoles and/or PC. It's one of the biggest benefits to me for going digital with Gamepass as my kids can use one of the consoles while I use another (or my PC), even with the same game which we have done for co-op Crackdown.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
that supposed to be the case, but i've only ever paid $1 or $2 and i think I had it for 4 months all together.

most recently they were giving away gamepass ultimate for $1 (cause its different then regular gamepass I think)

But like i said, even if the deals run out. I'd only get it for a month for when I actually want to play a game on the service. I see zero reason why anyone would subscribe with reoccurring payments.

I think looking at the entire Game Pass lineup and not seeing a single game you want to play is rather atypical compared to most consumers. The obvious reason to subscribe would be to play one or more of the 250+ games in the service.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
I have acces to Gamepass through my son's mom's other son, I've downloaded the game a few days ago and haven't had the time to boot it up but I'm off the next two so Im thinking I'll start it tonight after work

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
I have 3 years of Game Pass Time. I signed up for Ultimate because I'd rather play this on PC. I do plan to buy it when it eventually releases on Steam.

Depending on the port quality, I might even buy it on Switch.

Deleted member 4067

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Playing it on Game Pass since I'm subbed til September 2020

But I'm going to buy the game because its so good

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
I had unknowingly gotten a 3-month Game Pass voucher when I bought my Ryzen 7 CPU, so I'm using that for it.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
I started a game pass trial on my base Xbox One. Didn't like the stuttering framerate and how the game looked so I bought a retail version for my Pro.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Poll needs:

* Playing with Game Pass Ultimate on both PC and Xbox
* Playing with Game Pass Ultimate but will also buy a copy (Game is that good).

Nezacant

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure if you are only on PC, but two people can play Gamepass games between multiple Xbox consoles and/or PC. It's one of the biggest benefits to me for going digital with Gamepass as my kids can use one of the consoles while I use another (or my PC), even with the same game which we have done for co-op Crackdown.
We are using 2 PCs. When one logs in it kicks the other user off. We can probably play at the same time if one machine is set for offline play and we disconnect the machine from the internet but that was kind of a hassle. I do know if one of us wanted to play on our Xbox we could have done that but we both wanted to play using mouse and keyboard.

Voke

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Spent the full $60

I'm used to this by now, but damn you PC and Xbox people got a damn good deal on this game.

Deleted member 29249

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Game pass but I'm done, it doesn't fill the space of fallout 4 or Skyrim for me. Just going to go back to Skyrim on switch for now.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017

Don't you need to be signed in to use Game Pass? And can't you only sign into one of the platforms at the same time? I often get an error message on PC ("there's something wrong with your account"), if I'm not signed in.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
We are using 2 PCs. When one logs in it kicks the other user off. We can probably play at the same time if one machine is set for offline play and we disconnect the machine from the internet but that was kind of a hassle. I do know if one of us wanted to play on our Xbox we could have done that but we both wanted to play using mouse and keyboard.
Got it. I've only tried Xbox/Xbox and PC/Xbox so I'm not sure if you are able to set a PC as "Home" as you are with the Xbox. If not, then yes... your way wouldn't work and you'd need two copies.

Don't you need to be signed in to use Game Pass? And can't you only sign into one of the platforms at the same time? I often get an error message on PC ("there's something wrong with your account"), if I'm not signed in.
Yes and no. All users on your Home console will have access to all of your content (Live, Gamepass, EA Access, etc) without you needing to be signed in, but on any other system you need to at least be logged on in the background. So when my kids and I play at the same time, they need to play on my Home console while I can log in on either my PC or one of the other Xbox consoles. Our Xbox One X (a non-Home console) auto signs in to my account in so they can play with their accounts without me.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
But like i said, even if the deals run out. I'd only get it for a month for when I actually want to play a game on the service. I see zero reason why anyone would subscribe with reoccurring payments.
I guess if you only play a game for a month (or less) and are done with it, but I have quite a few games on the service right now that I expect to be playing for the next year or more. And that doesn't count any games that are yet to be added.

Apr 3, 2018
Been playing on GP (finally got to start yesterday). Holy crap. I feel like I'm ripping someone off.

Will definitely buy a physical copy to show my appreciation for games like these.

I've mostly stopped buying games in general thanks to GP, so this seems like a reasonable strategy for me.

CM_Ace

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Built a new pc and got 3 months of game pass through a promo, so that. But even if I didn't have the promo, I'd have subbed for this month to play it.

Wilco

Nov 25, 2018
Playing on gamepass but going to buy it when GP runs out and on switch. Great game so far

Minky

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Playing on £1 gamepass, and I actually feel kind of bad for getting so much in return for so little. Fantastic game so far.

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Playing it on game pass, but only as I have it from the upgrade deal earlier. It's really the first game I really "wanted" that's on gamepass. Like others I would have happily paid full price given its quality.

Could see myself double dipping later on Steam for mods or PS4 for whimsy. Great game, only a shame to be stuck away from home this week.

nbnt

Oct 26, 2017
Game pass ultimate, on PC. Felt like an inferior Fallout, dropped it after a few hours.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
I'm playing through it now using the Game Pass free trial, and then I'll probably cancel that and pick up the game on Steam in a year for replays.

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
I already bought regular game pass for a whole year but then MS did that ultimate deal. Now I have 3 full years for only 1 dollar more. I'm gonna be spoiled with AAA AA A and indies new and old for a whole 3 years. I'm set.

EdgeXL

Oct 27, 2017
California
Playing on Game Pass, normal price. (I pay $15 USD per month for Ultimate).

May end up buying it though because I am loving it.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
i'm sure MS compensates them for each copy 'purchased' through gamepass.
Probably, yeah. I just don't know how much or how it's figured.
I thought people just got a flat fee for putting games on the service. Maybe it's different for a fist party game though
Obsidian Entertainment no longer really exists, it is Microsoft. They are wholly owned. They are a division of Xbox Game Studios now, which is Microsoft. No different to the devs who work on Skype or Windows Update or Powerpoint. Brand name kept for nostalgia sales / marketing.

So yes, it is different for a first party game. When you read "Obsidian" in a sentence, you can now substitute the word "Microsoft" and see if it still makes sense. So "Does MS compensate Obsidian for each copy on Gamepass" = "Does MS compensate MS for things MS does?" lol - there is nothing to figure out here.

Of course, MS might pay some of their employees a bonus for a successful game launch by whatever metrics they are chasing.

And WOW at the poll now, insane ratio.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Game Pass. I plan on buying any DLC though, and if it ever gets removed from the service I have no issue purchasing the game.

KorrZ

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I went with Game Pass, it was too good of a deal to pass up. $80 CAD or $1 CAD.

I'm not sure how it equates for third party developers but since Obsidian is a first party studio now I'm sure Game Pass success is very much the same as raw box copy success for Microsoft.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Yes and no. All users on your Home console will have access to all of your content (Live, Gamepass, EA Access, etc) without you needing to be signed in, but on any other system you need to at least be logged on in the background. So when my kids and I play at the same time, they need to play on my Home console while I can log in on either my PC or one of the other Xbox consoles. Our Xbox One X (a non-Home console) auto signs in to my account in so they can play with their accounts without me.

Oh, I see. I thought you had to be locked in with Game Pass, but interesting that that isn't the case, at least on your home console. Thanks for the explanation.

spool

Oct 27, 2017
I bought a Ryzen CPU earlier today and a code for TOW is a bonus that comes with it. Apparently it can't be redeemed on Linux though, so I suppose I bought it but won't play it until next year when I buy it a second time.

Aranjah

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't decided if I'm going to play the game or not (unsure if I have the time for a game that is as long and in-depth as I assume this is), but if I do decide to play it, I will be buying it. Probably a physical copy.

PuppetMinion

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
Built a computer earlier this year and got an three month free trial included. Was surprised when I realized I could play the game until the end of november.

Would have most likely bought it otherwise. I am a huge fallout fan, love vegas.

I prefer owning though, if I still am playing the game at the end of november, I will buy it. If I am tired of it by then, I will wait for an price drop. I am level 15 in the game, I like the game but am not loving it so far... Feels a bit by the numbers so far even though their numbers are pretty good. Having fun, just hard to go up against vegas I guess.