• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Did we overestimate the influence of this game in others?

• Yes, several years have passed and I don´t see its impact

Votes: 830 36.7%
  • No, it is too soon to tell

Votes: 1,018 45.0%
  • No, it is just that other games can´t "copy" it

Votes: 342 15.1%
  • Another opinion (please explain yourself in the comments)

Votes: 72 3.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
It hasn't been enough time to judge. The game released in 2017. Most AAA games take at least three years to make. And I believe we have seen some indies take elements from BotW. And didn't GoT as well, but just not very well?

collige

Oct 31, 2017
To answer the OP I think it's both too soon and that BotW won't be particularly influential compared to other open world games.

Which is funny because Majora's Mask is not an influential game at all even though its repeating 3 day cycle is something worth copying. But still, 19 years later and it has inspired the making of Outer Wilds at last. Also, moon.
Was there a game that did the whole "NPCs have schedules" thing before it? I'm sure there's something but I'm guessing it's on the PC side and I'm not too familiar with 90's RPGs.

For a game that is supposed to be "fuelling my exploration and to explore diversity in it's combat/systems", it does sure like to throw roadblocks up every 5 minutes.
That weapon you liked using? It's broken now.
That hill you wanna scale? Your stamina isn't large enough to do that yet, oh and it's raining.
My main issue with the game is that there's no real incentive for the player to engage with the combat systems at all. Why spent time fighting an encampment and waste your weapon durability just to get another weapon to waste etc, when you can just run around them most of the time?

The hoarding weapon complaint actually works against the requests for creativity too since fire weapons are both rare and have a ton of utility so it's in the player's best interest to not use them for combat at all.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So what did BOTW do that was so revolutionary? I loved the game to death but i really have no idea what makes it stand apart from other open world games.
- go anywhere you like, 4 real
- sandbox style gameplay with a great physics engine (not common in open-world game)
- not cluttering the map/mini-map/HUD with a ton of markers and instead guiding you using the actual design of the world

those three are the three big differentiating factors from most other open-world games, imo

of course, i don't think these are necessarily things other devs would be eager to copy as a, it's not very easy to design an open-world game like that and b, the current template most devs use for their open-world games works very well and people enjoy it so there's not anything broken to be fixed using the innovations of botw. devs will take some bits here and there to be inspired by but i don't think open-world games are all gonna become like botw.

also, an open-world designed like botw is particularly bad if you want to tell a so called cinematic story, which is why you won't see it a lot in blockbuster AAA games as those are pretty much always looking to have a heavy narrative focus.

Last edited:

lightning16

May 17, 2019
I think it's a difficult game to take influence from, because the main takeaway would basically be "design an open world that people actually want to explore, on their own terms." Breath of the Wild achieved this, imo, primarily through its meticulous level design that subtly guided the player in every which direction with intriguing sights and landmarks to explore and allowed the player to mark up the map for themselves with the things they wanted to check out. It eschewed a lot of the standard things that guide player agency in other games in the genre, and I think these are things that streamline the design of open world games for other developers.

I'd personally say it's too early to write off the influence, anyway. I think we've seen a number of Breath of the Wild-esque games revealed, especially from indies. I don't really expect it to ever be the norm for the genre, though, even with Breath of the Wild's incredible acclaim and commercial success, and it has absolutely nothing to do with the game's quality. I just think it's hard to make an open world engaging in the way Breath of the Wild's is.

MechaMarmaset

Nov 20, 2017
Out of curiosity, what open world games are you comparing it to? I can't think of any open world games that are anything like BotW

I dunno. Assassin's creed and horizon i guess would be the things i was playing around that time. And don't starve.

I loved the game but then I don't think of it as doing anything new or unheard of. To me it's not revolutionary as much as it is very well implemented.

Is the revolutionary part that they combined old ideas? When i think of the game i never thinking how they did some thing i never saw before, but I'm usually going wow i loved that game for some reason i really can't identify.

tusharngf

Oct 29, 2017
Lordran
I have played the game on an emulator but i dont feel like its a revolutionary game at all. It does a better job at getting few things better.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
You can't make a game like BOTW without neutering the storytelling aspect of the game, which is exactly what happened with BOTW and its directionless minimal narrative. If you remove the story from a game to adopt BOTW game mechanics, you may as well just play BOTW.

And BOTW itself ripped off the tower vantage point mechanic from Ubisoft games, and games have been using that mechanic for more than a decade now.

Anti

Banned
Nov 22, 2017
Australia
I never understood when journalist called BotW innovative or an influence for other games. In fact is BotW the one who was influence by a bunch of other games. Anyway...

Papaya

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
California
We've already seen some take inspiration. as others have said, it's still a little early to see exactly what else others may take.

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
I never thought anyone could copy some part of botw design and make it work. If you chevk their cdc talk you will know is just not aboit freedom but about designing the whole world around this. So i dont expect other games to copy it

Oct 25, 2017
I felt like I saw a bit of BotW influence in ghost of tsushima.
Opting to hide all the POIs until you encounter them made exploration feel more organic rather than checklisty.

fl1ppyB

Jun 11, 2018
BoTW's whole thing was that the entire game-world felt hand-designed and engaging to move through. Obviously it gets easier the more stamina you acquire and with the glider, but a huge part of the game is "how do I get there?" and it being fun and challenging to figure that out. Think of how many random cliff-sides are designed just perfectly so you can reach a resting spot just before you run out of stamina.

The whole thing is meticulously designed at a crazy scale for actual moment-to-moment gameplay and that's a ton of work and that's why we haven't seen others copy it much. Most open-world games have little to no (or just extremely repetitive "random events") actual gameplay in between missions and BoTW is the opposite. It just requires your own fuel for exploring which some people just don't have.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
Why spent time fighting an encampment and waste your weapon durability just to get another weapon to waste etc, when you can just run around them most of the time?

Because, at time, you feel like having a fight and clearing out the encampment. Or you fancy seeing if you can stealth them all, or attack them in a weird and silly way, or you have a new weapon or a buff on and want to unload. It's the option basically... you can wade in and do something, or simply carry on to whatever else your motivation is taking you to instead.

br0ken_shad0w

Oct 27, 2017
Washington
Open world games already take huge development times and something like BotW's meticulously crafted world I'd imagine would be even longer to make. It's why we won't see BotW 2 any time soon.

1582483408_788923_1582483997_noticia_normal.jpg

Forget BotW, I want to see more games like this, but I can see why it took the devs nearly a decade to perfect it.

Oct 27, 2017
Well, isn't Ubisoft's Gods and Monsters supposedly copying a lot from BotW? Then you've got a fair number of indie games taking inspiration from it. We might see more influence in the open world games early next gen, like maybe Horizon 2 or Fable.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
So what did BOTW do that was so revolutionary? I loved the game to death but i really have no idea what makes it stand apart from other open world games.
Climb virtually any wall or cliff in the open world to get anywhere within the bounds of the map. In other open world games a wall or cliff is a barrier and you have to find a way around or through.

"Physics and chemistry" engine for interacting with the landscape. Cut down trees, set things on fire and let the wind spread the fire, string metal objects together to conduct electricity, protect yourself from the elements by staying in shade or carrying a torch to warm yourself, lift metal objects using magnetism and then drop them on enemies, send items overhead using balloons, build up force applied to objects to send them flying. Other open world games usually focus on storylines and combat rather than letting you creatively apply tools to do unexpected things.

The entire landscape is purposely designed to create viewpoints for various points of interest. The hill you just climbed was strategically placed to block your view from the main path. But when you climb it it gives you line of sight for a shrine, a Korok seed hiding place, a bombable rock, and a couple towers in the distance. And the art style is designed not to obscure these POIs--compare to AC Odyssey where the realism and the visual density make it hard to spot landmarks at a distance and especially from atop a mountain.

Minimal map markers by default. The game doesn't want you to follow a map or compass from objective to objective. It wants you to use your eyes and ears to figure out where you want to/should go next.

Naner

Oct 27, 2017
Not until more developers figure out how to tell you what to do without TELLING YOU WHAT TO DO.

Nisaba

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Why isn't there a poll choice to select that says BotW has already influenced games?

It has influenced Ghost of Tsushima, AC Odyssey, some new indie games, etc. And I predict we will see more in the future try to implement aspects of its ingenious gameplay loop/vision.

The "Open Air" concept Nintendo came up with was truly wonderful and its nice seeing developers/players respond to it so well.

BotW discussion on era is always ripe with bad takes and hate unfortunately, judging by some of these comments.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
As basically everyone else has said, it is too soon to tell. The kind of game Breath of Wild is takes many years to make.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Because, at time, you feel like having a fight and clearing out the encampment. Or you fancy seeing if you can stealth them all, or attack them in a weird and silly way, or you have a new weapon or a buff on and want to unload. It's the option basically... you can wade in and do something, or simply carry on to whatever else your motivation is taking you to instead.
Sure, but in the larger context of the objectives the game provides for you (Divine Beasts, shrines, seeds), they are just impedements to your goals that can easily be sidestepped. You've only provided examples of motivation provided by the player themselves rather than an incentive provided by the game itself.

All this is to say that I think that BotW has fantastic world design as a sanbox, but is sorely lacking in game design most of the time in the overworld.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Biggest influence clearly is by fanatics on internet forums comparing (and disparaging) nearly every other open-world games to BotW.
Seriously. Holy shit. Every game with a "cartoony" art style and open fields is "BOTW like."

It's hard to get through a single presentation with several games and not hear "BOTW vibes"

spelga51

May 23, 2020
The indie 'A Short Hike' definitely takes inspiration from BOTW with regards to its climbing and stamina, really cute game.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
I think Genshin Impact will stir that itch.
Visually perhaps, but I played a beta a couple months back and it just wasn't as engaging as BotW. Ironically, I believe it is because it had a more involved story despite having a world that felt very much like BotW. It's a weird incompatibility as the story tends to push you in one direction while BotW just said, "Eh, here's 4-5 places you can go when/if you want" and those places were spread across the entire world. Genshin Impact just ends up more like a Ubisoft game of waypoint chasing.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
An empty open world with Assassins Creed towers and physics based puzzle rooms?

God I hope not
you forget the copy paste enemies camps,glass weapons,terrible inventory,stupid stamina bar,fucking slow and junk climb animation.
Biggest influence clearly is by fanatics on internet forums comparing (and disparaging) nearly every other open-world games to BotW.
lol so true

Why all BOTW OP has this misleading picture?Anyway,it is too soon to tell,but BOTW except for environment interactiveness(here deserves all the praise and I hope inspire others open worlds),didn't really bring nothing new to the open world genre,it is the oppose,has a lot of Ubisoft playbook guide and for some reason gets a pass ,while others open worlds is criticized,even the meme you can climb "everything" and every open world game without that sucks for some BOTW's fanatics has been done for almost a decade with AC.

Chronology

Oct 27, 2017
You're seeing bits and pieces of it find purchase all around the industry, but it's only been 3 years; I would say it's going to be a little bit longer before AAA games that were looking at BotW as a blueprint or a reference start coming out. The majority of the innovations that BotW are structural, so they would probably need to be factored into the design of the game earlier rather than later (hence why I think it's still too soon; I would assume a 4 or 5 year time frame from preproduction to release)

Definitely agree with the folks saying that Horizon 2 might be a good place to look for this in the future I have to imagine all the direct comparisons folks made between Zero Dawn and BotW had some level of impact on the design of Horizon 2, but we'll have to see!

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
I dunno. Assassin's creed and horizon i guess would be the things i was playing around that time. And don't starve.

I loved the game but then I don't think of it as doing anything new or unheard of. To me it's not revolutionary as much as it is very well implemented.

Is the revolutionary part that they combined old ideas? When i think of the game i never thinking how they did some thing i never saw before, but I'm usually going wow i loved that game for some reason i really can't identify.
Yeah, it's probably more the combination of all those systems we've seen before. Physics based, nothing gated off on the map, open ended exploration, map not littered with a thousand points of interest (a la assassin's creed and probably hzd), etc.

It put everything together in a perfect way. No other open world game has been able to achieve that.

Nestunt

Oct 27, 2017
Porto, Portugal
Ghost of Tsushima is just 3 years after BOTW and already has some inspirations. Assassin's Creed seems to be in the same direction also.

New IP and established ones.

Zip

Oct 28, 2017
I can see a restriction on influence for the sheer amount of effort and time it would take to craft a world like BotW's. If the Zelda team struggled with finishing by the deadlines they had, what is the hope for all the teams/companies geared towards (relative) mass production? Maybe if someone figures a way to quickly or even auto-generate something that feels carefully designed.

The Zelda team has mentioned looking to 're-visit' the BotW map for the sequel for a reason. It took so much to make it that it only makes sense to try and get the most out of that work. I suspect one of the reasons we haven't heard anything else yet is they still found themselves in a boatload of work just to re-jig it in some way.

Even so, there are some influences that have been noticed in some games, to even outright clones. I don't think any wildly praised game wouldn't see some impact.

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
Most AAA open worlds are pushing some kind of involved narrative which doesn't suit the freeform exploration approach to design. As a result, you still see many open worlds implementing the classic Ubisoft map marker based navigation. We've seen some half measures against this like Assassin Creed Odyssey's Exploration Mode but they ultimately fall short when the world isn't designed to be played with that in mind first and foremost. It's like, sure you can technically turn off markers in most modern open worlds, but 99% of the time it's at the detriment of the experience when you end up wandering around aimlessly to find an NPC that continues your next story quest.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
The topography of Breath of the Wild was done by Monolith Soft, so the real question is whether Monolith Soft's open-world game design has influenced the industry? To which I say no, not really.

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's too early to properly tell, and that a lot of its influence is gonna be more nebulous and less cut-and-dry obviously copied.

Outside of its art direction--which AAA games obviously aren't gonna mimic, what truly marks BotW as unique is how incredibly fine tuned, harmonious, and cleverly/meticulously designed and implemented its world and mechanics are. I do think a lot of developers are gonna try to chase after BotW's lightning in a bottle success, but outside of surface-level similarities it's gonna be hard to nail and that's thus gonna make the influences a bit harder to see. But also, big games take a lot longer to make and BotW only came out three years ago, plus we're right at the end of the console generation. We're obviously already seeing a lot of indie and smaller games pull inspiration from it, but I think it's gonna take another year or two before we start really seeing how far its reach is in the AAA cricles.

Status
Not open for further replies.