• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Did we overestimate the influence of this game in others?

• Yes, several years have passed and I don´t see its impact

Votes: 830 36.7%
  • No, it is too soon to tell

Votes: 1,018 45.0%
  • No, it is just that other games can´t "copy" it

Votes: 342 15.1%
  • Another opinion (please explain yourself in the comments)

Votes: 72 3.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 2, 2018
Ideally every sequel will be better than the original. What I said was that BotW could be invalidated by a good sequel, as in, there would be very little reason to revisit it since the sequel is better in almost every way. There are still lots of reasons to revisit Mario 64 and the original SMB - their tight controls, fantastic level design, iconic music and colorful visuals hold up well to this day. If BotW 2 leaves everything but the art direction and climbing system behind, very little of value will be lost.

What about Metroid? It was completely invalidated by Super Metroid.
And I do think that BotW will stand the test of time despite the potential of it's sequel.

Terranigma

Oct 27, 2017
Innovations for Zelda games, which were still copying OoT in design.

Thats not how it works lol. Only in your mind. You really think every major outlet reviewer just gives Nintendo games 95+ scores purely because it changes up the formula of that particular franchise, not taking into account the rest of the industry at all, not a chance.

Rooster

Oct 27, 2017
Any game with a strong BOTW influence is going to get pummelled by BOTW fans online for copying BOTW.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know, I found Death Stranding somewhat inspired by BOTW with all the emphasis placed with traversing the open world and planning your routes.
Death Stranding feels the closest to BotW with regards to how nuanced and interactive everything is in a way that really anchors you in the world.

MOTHGOD

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
Buttfuck Nowhere
Honestly if anything BotW was created and heavily influenced by open world games like Skyrim and The Witcher 3. The differences I see in BotW is that you can climb anything and glide off of high places, as well as being able to literally run to the end once the world opens up, and literal weapon breaking.
But really we are seeing influences from the games it was influenced by and less so the specific mechanics that made BotW different to them specifically is what I think is happening. I am not saying BotW is overrated because I had an absolute blast with it but I think people are overestimating its influence when it drew from games that had a bigger influence than itself and might be in a bit of a gaming bubble to really notice otherwise.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
BotW is so well-designed that it doesn't place icons on your map either. Makes you realize other games do that as a crutch because they don't trust the world's design and the mechanics to lead you there organically.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
People have been climbing mountains for thousands of years, what is even truly new in BOTW? Bird people? I've seen those before.

Oct 25, 2017
The vast majority of games benefit more from the TW3 style of open world than BotW.

BotW's open world design does not lend itself to the story, narrative and quest heavy design that most open worlds want to push forward.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Considering that like only one other poster in this thread recognized that Monolith Soft is the one responsible for the open world in BotW and how they have done that basically 5 times over now and yet people barely recognize it, I'm going to go with yes, OP.

Last edited:

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
I feel like it might have influenced internally developed Nintendo titles more than we expect. Both Odyssey and Origami went for bigger spaces and I'm feeling more trust into players' ability to figure things out lately.

En-ou

Oct 27, 2017
Making a game, any dev would strive to make it as interactive as possible in a meaningful way. Of course this excludes your story driven/gamplay lite games. The problem is, BoTW achieves this, and is the current pinnacle due to its chemistry engine, something that takes tremendous talent and programming. I'm not sure devs have the time, mindset and resources to efficiently create their own engines like that. Also, the western AAA devs are more focused on graphics, voice acting and story.
I don't think we'll see much of BoTW interactivity part of it in the coming games. The only game I see having this level of interactivity could be Elden Ring.

En-ou

Oct 27, 2017
Considering that like only one other poster in this thread recognized that Monolith Soft is the one responsible for the open world in BotW and how they have done that basically 5 times over now and yet people barely recognize it, I'm going to go with no OP.
They created the gameplay systems governing the open world?

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Super Mario Odyssey is, in my opinion, the best 3D platformer ever made.
Cosigned

Considering that like only one other poster in this thread recognized that Monolith Soft is the one responsible for the open world in BotW and how they have done that basically 5 times over now and yet people barely recognize it, I'm going to go with yes, OP.

What Xeno game actually plays like BoTW?

What Xeno game has the enclosed Disney park type design?

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
BotW is so well-designed that it doesn't place icons on your map either. Makes you realize other games do that as a crutch because they don't trust the world's design and the mechanics to lead you there organically.
this is i think the game's biggest achievements. the game guides you through its world and keeps you entertained for ~100 hours without having a cluttered map/mini-map with a bajillion markers or having compass in the HUD constantly telling you how far away you are from 10 different objectives. that's not something that can be said for most open-world games.

callamp

Oct 27, 2017
It was never going to be particularly influential. Death Stranding is mechanically the most similar, albeit with vastly more interesting traversal mechanics, and that game was highly divisive.

There will never be an Assassin's Creed or Witcher or Elder Scrolls game than draws meaningful inspiration from BotW.

And for the most part it isn't exactly clear what being influenced by Zelda really means. Is it the empty open world? The lack of meaningful narrative? Or just some interesting combat options?

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
Well it doesn't suite every type of open world game for starters. Also 90% of game devs couldn't pull it off if they tried, it's just a ginormous project.

It's much easier to just fill a world with checklists and shitty missions than subtlety weave everything into the world seemlessly.

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017
The only new thing that brings BoTW is being able to climb anywhere you want. The rest is a copy of different western games. Some Ubisoft, some Skyrim, some Just Cause (open world with physics) etc.

Ombala

Oct 30, 2017
Ofc we did (some people did) but it was mostly fans that stated that it was so revolutionary.

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
People understandably focus on the open world aspect of BOTW, but it's the largely optional puzzles split amongst 120 shrines and 4 divine beast that would be very difficult for another developer to ape. They were too damn clever. That it was intended for players to defeat them (or not) the way the designers wanted or to concoct a completely different approach was just spectacular.

Short sweet plentiful mini dungeons has to be the future with this series. I'm not sure I would want to go back to being locked in 8 dungeons for hours on end again.

Oct 25, 2017
I said it the day the reviews came out and all the hot takes after that....This game is not as influential as people made it out to be. Outside Ass creed, which was going in this direction already prior to this game, there isn't these other game prioritizing the BOTW formula....and it may be because, those games are so much more dynamic and detailed that the simplistic psychics heavy design of the Zelda does not work for them or the game strictly isn't designed for that. So yeah. I don't think its too early or none of that stuff. It just simply isn't what everyone wants to do. If a game like cyberpunk isn't doing it, then the answer to me is clear.

Deleted member 9584

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
People understandably focus on the open world aspect of BOTW, but it's the largely optional puzzles split amongst 120 shrines and 4 divine beast that would be very difficult for another developer to ape. They were too damn clever. That it was intended for players to defeat them (or not) the way the designers wanted or to concoct a completely different approach was just spectacular.

Short sweet plentiful mini dungeons has to be the future with this series. I'm not sure I would want to go back to being locked in 8 dungeons for hours on end again.
That's not an either/or situation. You can easily do both.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure and frankly, I don't care. None of them would be as good as BotW anyway. BotW 2 and Elden Ring (which will approach the genre in its own unique way) are the next games likely to push things forward in terms of meaningful open world design.

mhayze

Nov 18, 2017
I think GTAIII might have been far more influential on a type of open world game design than I expect BotW to be - echoes of GTAIII can be seen in dozens of games from all over the world, decades later, even to this day in something like Cyberpunk.
I like BotW a lot, but don't quite see it being the influencer that others did, nor do I particularly expect to see some new genre of BotW-likes emerge after a few more years of gestation. Will some studios make games with strong echoes of BotW in the future? Maybe, but I still don't think that BotW is the Beatles of the video game industry.

piratethingy

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I reject the idea that for a game to be influential it has to inspire multiple carbon copy clones. It's influenced plenty.

Abylim

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 29, 2017
There isn't any game like BOTW. BOTW is almost completely open. You can choose where you go, when you want to. You can literally go fight Ganon when you leave the tutorial area. Breakable interchangeable weapons didn't catch on. Climb anything didn't catch on.

Using GoT as an example is laughable. It's very structured in most facets. It just uses the wind thing, which is similar to one aspect of BOTW.

BOTW was amazing for what it did. Letting me choose which guardians to pursue, mini dungeons to go after, and towns to go after, in any order, is refreshing. No game has done that. And I think it's going to be hard to imitate.

Jane

Oct 17, 2018
Breath of the Wild itself probably took at least five years to develop, so any game taking inspiration are still going to be years off. That being said, I doubt there will be many other studios trying to copy it. I mean, look at Skyrim. Huge hit, been 9 years since it came out, and no clones. There are really only very few studios who are capable of making games of that size and scale and they're busy making their own kinds of games. BotW is not the kind of game you can just copy for a quick buck.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
Assassin's Creed Odyssey not having fall damage was their way of trying to make climbing and verticality more interesting, and was likely influenced partially by the flow of climbing in botw.

sanstesy

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
It clearly spawned loads of indie games that try in one way or another to evoke things from BotW.

In terms of open-world games, how many have been released since then? I think in general, the effect it had and will have is developers having to put more emphasis on a organic sense of discovery in their marketing. If they succeed in that regard is a different story but it has become a major bullet point when developers present their open-world game.

I think in 3 years time that's more influence than I expected. The question is kind of bait anyway, who expected BotW to completely change open-world games forever? Very few people. I think you are confusing that with the general love for the game.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
There isn't any game like BOTW. BOTW is almost completely open. You can choose where you go, when you want to.
1582483408_788923_1582483997_noticia_normal.jpg

y2dvd

Nov 14, 2017
There isn't any game like BOTW. BOTW is almost completely open. You can choose where you go, when you want to. You can literally go fight Ganon when you leave the tutorial area. Breakable interchangeable weapons didn't catch on. Climb anything didn't catch on.

Using GoT as an example is laughable. It's very structured in most facets. It just uses the wind thing, which is similar to one aspect of BOTW.

BOTW was amazing for what it did. Letting me choose which guardians to pursue, mini dungeons to go after, and towns to go after, in any order, is refreshing. No game has done that. And I think it's going to be hard to imitate.
Yep, replaying the game currently has been amazing. Influential or not, everything it set out to do, it does so spectacularly.

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
It was never revolutionary in the first place. I don't see the point in being able to go anywhere if there's nothing to do when you get there other than enjoy the view. I'm hoping Witcher 3 has far more influence than BotW.

shan780

The Fallen
Nov 2, 2017
UK
it really doesn't solve many of the problems with open world games IMO, and actually suffers from a lack of stuff to do

I've tried to play BOTW 4 times now, and each time I get burnt out around the 60 shrine mark because it starts to feel pointless. why am I even doing these shrines? there's barely a story to speak of, and what there is took place 100 years ago (and not in the actual game I'm playing right now)

Deleted member 37739

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
You can literally go fight Ganon when you leave the tutorial area.

You hear this a lot and - much as I like and admire BotW - I still don't understand why this is considered a good thing. Aside from the fact it's an option in many much older open world games, I'm not sure there's any value, outside of pure novelty, in being able to ignore the entire game and skip from the first to last chapter, nor am I sure that the design trade-offs to make it possible are actually worthwhile.

Like, if someone told you they beat the game and thought it sucked, but you later discovered they'd left the plateau, headed straight for Ganon and beat him on their fiftieth try, would you really take it as fair critique? As the game is designed in that way, you'd kinda have to, but at the same time, you know they'd basically missed the entire experience.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, this is a hot take from someone who probably hasn't played it, but I will use it as a jumping off point.

I mean, I beat 3 of the 4 beasts before throwing in the towel but, go off.

The world is PACKED with shit to do. Theres very few open spaces that are just nothing forever. But those things are not marked with objectives and often there is no quest driving finding these things. If you dont like to explore, or see whats over that hill or whats up at the top of that weird rock just for the sake of exploring and the satisfaction of that, dunno what to tell you other than this will never be your game.

For a game that is supposed to be "fuelling my exploration and to explore diversity in it's combat/systems", it does sure like to throw roadblocks up every 5 minutes.
That weapon you liked using? It's broken now.
That hill you wanna scale? Your stamina isn't large enough to do that yet, oh and it's raining.

The combat is, accessible. But it runs into the same problem the story has - its almost too flexible because of all the physics stuff. I have watched videos that are unreal creative uses of the game to do fights. If you came at everything with just sword and shield and got bored, that's your own problem. I understand weapon degradation - it's a driver to keep you exploring and keep you being creative. I think it could be improved upon but I think without something like Diablo style weapons (ie really random rolls) there was sadly no real impetus to find chests.

I agree with the creativity, I've seen some compilations of what people are able to achieve and it's pretty nuts. But, I just can't see how you can say it's the players fault when it's an inherently poor design choice on the games part. You can inspire a player to try different combat styles without yoinking their favourite weapons from their hands every 2nd or 3rd fight. It explicitly flies in the face of the "do your own thing, explore where you want, play how you want" mantra the rest of the game is chanting.

I do look forward to them working on and improving these areas though, but I hope the broader games industry doesn't follow blindly just because Nintendo did it.

sanstesy

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Interestingly, this game was clearly influenced by a Zelda title....just not the one being discussed in this thread lol

Which is funny because Majora's Mask is not an influential game at all even though its repeating 3 day cycle is wholly original and worth copying. But still, 19 years later and it has inspired the making of Outer Wilds at last.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Which is funny because Majora's Mask is not an influential game at all even though its repeating 3 day cycle is original and unique. But still, 19 years later and it has inspired the making of Outer Wilds at last.
Yeah and that may very well be the case with BotW as well. Maybe it won't directly influence a bunch of other games but that doesn't take away how remarkable the game is. A game doesn't have to influence dozens of others to be seen as a classic. Super Mario Galaxy certainly hasn't influenced much.

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
I already see the impact on more recent open world games to be honest. For example with tsushima, with how they distribute little puzzles and activities and opt more a more organic discovery of these highlights.

Exist 2 Inspire