• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you consciously litter?

• Yes: I'm okay being a lazy garbage human

• No: I'm a good person

• No: Also, I pick up other people's trash

Results are only viewable after voting.

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I think after the obvious things like nazis, murderers, rapists, abusers etc, the worst kind of person is someone who litters. Like, the selfishness is just unbelievable. Who would feel okay just dropping shit on the ground and ruining a public space? Or worse still, assuming someone else should have to pick up after you.

I often do go out with a trash bag and a grabber and pick up after these assholes. And maybe I shouldn't anymore because I'm just getting more and more mad. (To be clear, I'm not saying everyone has to pick up trash. Just don't litter in the first place, that's all you have to do to not be a terrible person)

My dream super power isn't actually flight or invisibility or super strength or whatever. No, I want the ability to point at a piece of trash, snap my fingers and make it disappear and then reappear in the person's mouth or in their underwear or something. You left a candy wrapper on the ground? "Bam!" now it's in your mouth. You didn't clean up after your dog, "bam!" Now there's dog shit in your underwear.

But yeah, there's so much trash it can't just be the work of a small handful of people. Hence the poll. I want to see what percentage of people litter. (Admittedly, I think Resetera people are mostly good people so I don't expect that many yes answers, but I'm still curious)

EDIT: To be clear, it's not a poll about if you've ever littered in the past, it's about if you do it now.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, is leaving out dog shit the same as littering? If anything that's more au naturale than anything we do, like keeping nice green lawns for no reason. Seems like we only do that to appease people, not for the environment.

That said, littering is terrible

Kida

Oct 27, 2017
No and as somebody who walks a dog on a beach each morning I often take a spare bag to pick up other's trash. (UK beachgoers are the worst)

Heliex

Nov 2, 2017
Nope. I care too much now. I feel guilty when i accidentally leave the water running while brushing my teeth, I have an SQDC weed container that i use for cigarrette and joint roaches too. Ive managed to reduce my food waste to almost 0 too. Of course it wont mean shit in the grand scheme of things and were all gonna die to the hands of climate change, but im also not cynical enough to quit trying.

hitme

Oct 26, 2017
Everyone on Earth should take at least one trip to their local dump.

It's an environmental nightmare.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
No, and I would frequently volunteer to clean by the road in front of the school for a chance to get out of class.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Smoking usage is a lot less now, but man, smokers were the worst. Thinking the ground was an ashtray was disgustingly common.

Godfather

Game on motherfuckers
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I can't say I've NEVER littered cause there have been times when I dropped something accidentally and it is not retrievable. In general, though, I'll hold stuff until I get to a garbage can. I know I've picked up other peoples trash on occasion as well.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Never and I dont think its hard to not do it. I've seen some people just throw their rubbish on the floor on purpose and its fucking disgusting.
Meanwhile I feel sad whenever I drop a wrapper and the wind blows it away before I can get to it

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
Nope. I will carry my trash until I find a trash can or go back to my car/home. People that litter are assholes.

Praetorpwj

Nov 21, 2017
I once threw a dumped packet of chips (fries) back into the former owners car at a traffic light.

Zekes

Oct 25, 2017
No, never. I will sometimes pick up other people's trash, but not all the time

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
People saying "no" are liars. You've all knowingly done it at least once in your life.

Edit: Yes thank you I understand the context of the poll better now, you can stop quoting me.

Last edited:

UltraMav

Oct 25, 2017
I said no because I only litter cigarette butts when there's not a readily available ashtray or trash can. So really it's more like "very rarely" but that wasn't an option.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
I would say No I don't but then I do smoke on occasion and.... if there's nowhere to dispose of a cigarette then yeah I guess I do litter. It's small and largely breaks down and it's not like just dropping bottles or cans or crisp packets... don't hate me Era.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I do pick up other people's trash on occasion (or at least did when I was outside regularly...) but I wouldn't say I make a big habit of it so I went with the middle option. Littering is insane.

One thing that struck me as odd about Japan when we went were the sheer lack of trash cans.. coupled with the lack of litter. We had to walk for ages to find somewhere to throw our trash away. I guess they've just become accustomed to it but it was a bit of a pain!

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck no. It's not hard.

Closest I came was when my dog had the dreaded double poop and I didn't have a bag. Imanaged to find a stick or something and moved it to a spot out of the way.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
Nope. There's always a ton of trash in my neighborhood's streets and it drives me nuts. It also tends to assist in clogging the storm drains and flooding our street during heavy rain, so I definitely do not litter. I'm out on a regular basis with an old snow shovel cleaning up.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
I think littering, like not bringing back your shopping cart, is the lowest thing a human being can do.

When I see someone litter, I will pick that shit up and give it back to them - it's nearly always embarrasses them... but it's also a risky thing, so gotta choose wisely or you'll get stabbed.

Fugu

Oct 26, 2017
Never. There are a lot of things I wish I could do to make the world a better place (like not buy electronics that I know are connected to slave/child labor) that I feel I am not currently striking the right balance, but litter is an area where I can easily and readily do the right thing with no exceptions.

I'm one of those people you see who chases down their errant napkins. I also generally pick up the litter of others, although not during COVID times.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
If you're in a city then there's usually plenty of garbage cans around. Seeing somebody just drop their garbage when there's a can a half a block away is infuriating. Friggin' entitled jerks.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Nope. I hate littering and whenever I thought I would do it I couldn't and picked it up. I hate how lazy and entitled people who litter are.

I once saw a guy at a Mcdonalds drive thru who was littering as they passed him stuff. Ice cream cone? ripped the wrapper off and threw it out the window. Napkins? out the window. Spoon? tore the plastic off and threw that out the window. Receipt? You guessed it, out the window.

He was the passenger in the car and so my friend and I were calling him out to stop dumping shit and use a garbage. He threw a tantrum and screamed "NO" while saying something misogynistic about us lol

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Fuck no. It's not hard.

Closest I came was when my dog had the dreaded double poop and I didn't have a bag. Imanaged to find a stick or something and moved it to a spot out of the way.

This is why I now bring 2 bags, instead of one. I actually walked my dog home..and back to the poop with another bag to pick it up. The dog was quite pleased he got another 20 minute walk.

ecnal

Oct 27, 2017
Hell no.

I'm at the beach frequently, and the amount of trash I pick up is disgusting and infuriating.

AlteredBeast

Don't Watch the Tape!
Oct 27, 2017
I can honestly say that in my life, I can never remember littering, even once. As a kid, I would even pick up friends' litter if they were being an asshole about it.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
No. I don't typically pick up other people's garbage unless it's around my home since I can quickly dump it in my recycling bin/trash and immediately wash my hands. Even the people around me are too lazy to pick their shit up on a windy day that blows their garbage all over the grass.

Prison_mike

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like the education programs we had as kids, i'm 31, really did help with lettering and also ozone layer depletion.

We had an entire "Don't Mess With Texas" anti-littering campaign that I honestly feel really helped with littering on Texas highways and just littering in general

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
No I pick up other people's trash in my neighbourhood. I dislike it, but much of the nature of good work in this world is cleaning up other people's (and sometimes one's own) mess.