• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Are You Happy With PlayStation’s Dead Silence?

• Yes

Votes: 548 18.9%
  • No

Votes: 993 34.2%
  • Neutral

Votes: 1,359 46.9%

• Total voters

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
They're treating the Playstation brand the way you'd expect Google to treat Playstation brand if it was their brand right now.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing as I have more than enough to hold my attention with PS4, in addition to the fact that I waited years to get one of those and am no more inclined to be an early adopter for PS5, I don't particularly care either way.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
As someone who worked in the video game industry and now works in the marketing department of a tangentially related industry: Yes. Be as quiet as you need to be and take as long as you need.

But, when it is time to reveal, make that reveal strong!

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I'm fine with them announcing it exactly how they want to. I'm gonna assume that they know best. It's only the first of February.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
Their communication has been awful enough over the last two years that expectations are astronomically high for their eventual blowout, so high that anything short of announcing full generational BC and free online alongside better sequels to every top-rated game they've made in the past ten years is going to be a crushing disappointment.

At the time People assumed they where loading the chamber for next gen, turned out they had nothing.

I don't think it's this bad, but Occam's Razor would suggest that maybe silence is just because they've had nothing to show.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
It maybe occasionally makes me think "what are they up to and why aren't they telling us about it" but it's not a strong enough curiosity to really register as a constant concern.

Completely neutral.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
The only thing which annoys me about how Sony is operating when it comes to events is that when they confirmed they once again are skipping E3 they didn't give us good, specific details on what they'll be doing instead. If you're gonna announce that you're skipping E3 I want to know what you're gonna do instead.

Timewarp

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly never think about it until threads like these pop up. While I am eager to learn about what Sony has planned, I am content with waiting until they feel the time is right.

Mohsenix

Mar 31, 2018
This is the busiest year for PlayStation in the entire gen. It's only January. You'll be fine.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
yes i'm on day 2 of my hunger strike it would have been longer but i had to stop at taco bell for those buffalo chicken nacho fries

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
They know what they are doing, you just have no patience and want your news now

Let them release it when they feel it is right. Simply releasing a logo and seeing that reaction probably bought them another 3 months of time.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
Keep in mind the ps4 reveal was announced on january 31st right? So were basically one day behind what happened last time except this time weve already been given loads of details about the system beforehand. At this point last time around we knew literally nothing about the ps4. Now we know about the SSD, the new haptic feedback and more. You've actually been treated better than you were last time around, relax. Your going to see the ps5 eventually.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
it kind of astounds me this is even a 'thing'. maybe if a next gen launch (and obvs following info blowout) wasn't coming up i'd kinda understand. but to put it nicely as i possibly can... maybe get a grip, enjoy games and go on with your life for a few months? so much to ask?

Deleted member 9486

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Voted neutral as I just don't really care anymore. I'm always drowning in games I want to play so I don't get very hyped for future announcements anymore.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
I like it just because of the hilarious threads and fear mongering it produces like this. Have some patience.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
It's… fine.

This topic has come up quite often, with 2019 being an off year for the PS4. This year though, is looking shit hot in terms of game releases and the next-gen reveal will no doubt offer some mind-blowing looking games and fantastic quality of life features to look forward to. The lack of concrete information about the PS5 is only building up to something that will end up being more exciting when we finally hear about it, so I'm perfectly fine with that. I doubt it's long until the press previews for upcoming games like Ghost of Tsushima and TLoU Part II, and then the deluge of announcements for PS5 - in all its glory.

Then, we won't stop hearing from them and nobody will remember how reserved they were.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
tumblr_p8ksdyneIZ1xse7g3o1_500.gifv

Arkaign

Nov 25, 2017
LOL. I haven't noticed because it doesn't really matter to be honest. Whenever the info is released, we can go from there. It's ages until the Fall/Holidays, so what difference does it really make.

Wallace Wells

May 24, 2019
I just want them to announce some details so people will stop arguing over some probably outdated github leak lmao

Estarossa

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They really have dropped the ball these past couple of years... and I bet whatever they have in store won't satiate the people. Playstation is currently faceless.

Rogue Kiwi

Chicken Chaser
Banned
May 5, 2019
We don't really know that much more about series x. I think Sony are just going to have one big news blowout. I am annoyed that they bailed on E3 thought as selfishly I want e3 to continue and thrive as its one of my favourite times of the year.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm neutral.

Not excited obviously with the silence.

But at the same time, I feel like Sony is preparing a bigger show by saving everything up.

Brian_FETO

The Million Post Man
Oct 25, 2017
Final Fantasy 7 Remake comes out in a few months, Last Of Us 2 comes out shortly after and then Ghosts of Tsushima shortly after that

very scary times we live in

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
No, but ironically it is entirely because people won't stop talking about how Sony have stopped talking.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
Talk about what really. It is a new box, it comes out this year. They will tell you when and how much before then.

The specs are irrelevant. Playstation is pretty much what everyone will get as long as it is not priced out of the market. The competition doesn't really exist like it used to, it really doesn't matter what MS does relative to ps5 imo, it won't make much of a difference in hardware sales and even MS doesn't care too much about it, it's a different era now, everything has changed and will change even more, there is not even proper e3 pressers now. These products and the way they can or should communicate information has changed.

Whether it is weaker or stronger, doesn't impact a thing. It will be good enough and that's been the moto of the consoles for as long as they have been around, just good enough for the right price.

Last edited:

Prime2

Oct 25, 2017
Won't matter what they do, they are the market leader and they could launch with zero talk about it and still take that crown.

Dragun

Oct 30, 2017
Don't really mind Sony's approach as long as the announcements & game reveals that Sony eventually presents prove worth the wait. Otherwise, if it falls flat... Smh.

Oct 27, 2017
The Ether
Would i like more info? Yes.

Am I freaking out a bit with a lack of info? Yes.

Is that a Sony problem or a me problem? Definitely a me problem.

Stop blaming the company for your own weird brains.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I mean I'd like to hear more just like anyone would, but it is what it is. We're probably super close to a reveal event happening and as soon as they announce it, people will get excited again. So it's really not relevant whether or not anyone is happy with their silence. They'll talk about it when they're prepared to.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
When I say no, it means exactly that. I'm not banging down Sony's door. I don't really feel like making 100s of posts about how they need to show the PS5. I'm not frothing at the mouth. It just means I'm not happy. The system likely launches in October and they're still saying nothing. I don't like it.

That doesn't mean the PS5 won't sell or I won't buy it. I have to clarify because if I say "no" people default to "Ugh, you're probably harassing Sony."

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't matter to me, show stuff when your teams can and aren't rushed to have a perfect showing like GOW E3 pressure on SSM (Raising Kratos). Less pressrue, more time on the games.

MrMegaPhoenix

Oct 27, 2017
I don't care.

Realistically, it's fair to assume the PS5 will sell upwards of 80m and have nearly every major third party release along with at least good Sony games. We know it's coming at the end of the year, so there is no point getting upset because it's the first day of February and no concrete details. May-July is a standard time to reveal it as they will want it near a next Xbox focused event anyway.

There isn't much left for ps4 to announce either, so no need to focus on trade shows when it's obvious they would be secretive about next gen

Oct 27, 2017
I'm happy with the current generation of consoles, aka the best console generation. I'm in no rush to upgrade, especially with my backlog, so I have no reason to thirst for the next generation.

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
It's January 31st still in the US. I mean....the Holidays are a long ways off still.

If it was July and you still had nothing from them, I would question it.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Personally unsure. I mean Dead Silence as a Field Upgrade is nice enough but I think they've been using a tad much. Become a bit of a crutch.