• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are You Happy With PlayStation’s Dead Silence?

• Yes

Votes: 548 18.9%
  • No

Votes: 993 34.2%
  • Neutral

Votes: 1,359 46.9%

• Total voters

Sillegamer

Oct 27, 2017
I am beginning to wonder is there a functioning marketing department at PlayStation since 2018.

- Every opportunity to present to the public has been abandoned - E3, Gamescom, Paris Games Week, PlayStation Experience, Tokyo Game Show.

- The successor to one of the most successful consoles is revealed in a random article.

- Almost painful radio silence on anything related to the platforms direction and future with a couple of Wired articles.

- A random blog post reminding 100m+ consumers that your console is coming in 2020 with a few details about the controller.

- State of Play is short, sterile, and directionless at times.

The reveal of the logo alone was the most liked Instagram video game post yet it feels like they have absolutely no idea what's going on in terms of a timeline.

It is now February 2020. We have 9 months to launch with absolutely no idea of when to expect to see a console were supposed to be interested in. Not the games lineup, price, design or direction.

Just an idea of when to expect to see a product you want to pay 499. If E3 was happening, the natural inclination would be a press conference.

E3 2020 is again cancelled. No indication of PSX. Shawn Layden was gone overnight. Gio Corsi out.

The WWS OT and Next Gen thread are a wasteland of people waiting on announcements that don't come and from a marketing perspective, this is bizzare.

Fake specs, rumours and constant teasing from blatantly shitty sources are running rampant. Real insiders are dead silent and as a hardcore fan of PlayStation, Xbox is just nailing them in fan interaction and I applaud Phil Spencer. At least pre PS4, insiders like gopher and demonite hinted at announcements. Playstation seems completely frozen right now and I have literally no idea what to expect, which from a clarity perspective combined with a 19+ month no show at any public events, departures, supposed tension between SIE divisions and this thunderous silence is not the typical behaviour of a market leader.

I feel sorry for anybody who is waiting because at this point, I am yet to see an actual marketing strategy from Jim Ryan beyond a few articles and a logo drop. It doesn't seem like PlayStation. And as the leading platform holder, it's transitioned from quiet confidence to simply appearing to not care about its own fans.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
if Sony doesn't do something fast to appease the rabid demand for PS5 I'm worried people may not buy PS5s.

Dec 8, 2018
It's.A.Toy

people need to chill just because Sony did one thing seven years ago it does not mean it will play out the exact same way it did then.

kennyamr

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY, USA
I'm definitely enjoying ppl freaking out, posting, and making threads about Sony 'cause of the silence.
It's almost as if they are building the hype by doing/spending nothing.

freeradical

Oct 27, 2017
Sony owes you nothing. They know exactly what they are doing. And the number of these threads indicates that!

piratethingy

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't really care either way. I have to wait till the end of the year regardless which sucks. My thirst is extreme.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
Neither yes or no. Would I like to know more about the PS5? Sure. Am I annoyed at PlayStation's silence? Not really.

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Where's the neutral option? Obviously I'm not happier because of it, but it doesn't bother me either. The PS5 will be in my living room before the year is over and I'll know everything about it.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
I guess I haven't followed Sony closely enough in the past to notice that they were particularly quiet now.

So apparently it doesn't bother me

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
PlayStation's communication has been awful since Andrew House and Adam Boyes left the company.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
There is no rush, we are going to be drowning in marketing very soon, enjoy the peace and quiet while it lasts.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
Yes...I'm sure everyone will talk about how awful their silence was when they finally blow the lid on their next gen plans...Sony is doomed...

psilocybe

Oct 27, 2017
PS5 is coming. Announced games are to be released.

What else do you want? Eventually there will be a proper reveal. It is not like MS is showing much either.

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
I am entitled to frequent and detailed updates for this consumer product I have yet to buy dammit!

Sony owe me for the money I haven't spent and stress I have caused myself!

Have they no decency, sirs?

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
honestly i haven't really even thought about it. i can't wait to see what they have, but there is so much great stuff out there now to keep me busy, so the info comes when it comes. what's the rush?

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
Where's the neutral option? Obviously I'm not happier because of it, but it doesn't bother me either. The PS5 will be in my living room before the year is over and I'll know everything about it.

Pretty much this. Am I "happy" about it? Of course not, wish we knew everything lol.

Completely understand it though and I'll be front and center when they do talk about it.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It is getting a little long in the tooth now, but i'm hoping things return to normal this year.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I don't really mind the lack of massive live events, more often than not I'm annoyed by them these days (like companies insisting on panning shots of the audience when they're showing a trailer)

But I hope they do have regular State of Plays in the run-up to the PS5's launch, with new announcements and details. Spreading it out over the year that way actually sounds awesome, rather than getting it all thrown at us in February and June. State of Play has also gotten some pretty solid showings (the FFVII one was aight) and I figure they were more of a testbed for future streams to iron out the kinks.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
Not gonna lie I do feel a little sad that PlayStation doesn't have a good personality to push the platform. Phil Spencer is a great face for Xbox and is always active and in tune on social media.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
You should have made an ambivalent option. I don't really care, still got games to look forward too in the next months.

Also they were quiet with the PS4 as well, outside the PS Meeting and E3.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I worry it's like Nintendo and the later years of the Wii when they got really quiet.

At the time People assumed they where loading the chamber for next gen, turned out they had nothing.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
neutral i guess. would like to hear more details but im more interested in the upcoming ps4 games so it's no big deal.

The Gold Hawk

Jan 30, 2019
Yorkshire
I'd kind of like to know (definitively) what their deal is goingto be with backwards compatability next gen to know if I should bother getting their games for the end of this gen or not.

Otherwise couldn't give a hoot.

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
I trust Sony that it's for a good reason.
They got a lot of backlash for announcing games that were years away.
They don't want to make that mistake again. They'll show us what they're cooking when it's ready.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
I think it would bug me if I cared about Sony games at all. Which I haven't really cared for since their gonzo days back on the PS1. They've been busy lately getting the PS5 ready and restructuring the company while at the same time E3 has started to implode making something of a perfect storm of non information.

Ananke

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 19, 2020
It will all make sense soon...have faith and relax. They don't owe anything to anyone, and will make an announcement and hold press events when they are ready.