• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are PlayStation Fans Happy With Sony's Current Silence?

• Yes

Votes: 598 20.6%
  • No

Votes: 717 24.7%
  • Indifferent

Votes: 1,586 54.7%

• Total voters

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017
On one side I always enjoy some good press conferences and gaming shows, so I'm kinda disappointed by the silence, but if they don't have anything substantial to show, then this is the way to go.

Why don't they have anything to show? Because we already know the big hitters that are coming in the next couple of months/year and PS5 is to release in 2020, therefore I'm not worried in the least about the future of PlayStation and their silence. If we didn't have the stellar 1st party lineup, then I'd be worried.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
Right now it doesn't bother me because it hasn't been that long since E3 but if it gets around to the next E3 and they still haven't said anything about what's coming later on in 2019 then I'll wonder what on earth they're doing.

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
Can't say I care either way.I've got so many games in my backlog to play not to mention everything that's coming out in the next 3 months it's hard to keep up.

Getting tired of seeing trailers for games that won't be released for donkeys anyway.

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
I'm waiting for the eventual spiritual Vita successor, I can feel its imminent eruption in my bones. Until then, good night sweet prince.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
It's indifferent until the end of 2019... We all know next gen is coming and if you don't know about it by now simple things like wide games & consoles sales scream at you that a new gen is incoming

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't say I'm HAPPY with the silence but knowing what PS4 games they still have coming and knowing that PS5 is getting closer and closer, I UNDERSTAND their silence and I'm perfectly content in waiting the games I know are coming. Getting to see them once or twice more than what we will eventually end up seeing wouldn't make much of a difference. Let the developers focus on their games and bring them into the spotlight when it makes sense. No need to force showings at events just for the sake of showing something if they still face 9-12+ months of development.

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
They kept giving me exclusives all gen. They had an amazing year. There are still announced games that need to come out (Dreams, The Last of Us 2 and Death Stranding). I don't need do be reassured every month that they are indeed making games.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As long as this is the kind of 'silence' we're getting from 2019 I'll cope just fine.

OhPOhD1.png

ACL

Nov 18, 2017
They have got tons of games announced. In fact, so many games, that it's hard to pinpoint when the inevitable next gen fit in. 2020 release date for PS5 would mean, that we have less than 2 years for tLoU, GoT, Death Stranded, Days Gone and Dreams to come out, before starting lineup of PS5 games hits. Even 2021 for PS5 would be fine with no additional announcements of AAA exclusives for PS4.

You talk about tons of games but can only list 5. I expect more to be announced, but 5 games in two years wouldn't exactly be a huge amount, that's 2-3 games per year and if you aren't "lucky" enough to be interested in some of these 5 games, it will really be a dire 2 years, when it comes to PS4 1st Party output and most importantly not everyone wants to be there day one with PS5.

El-Pistolero

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
You talk about tons of games but can only list 5. I expect more to be announced, but 5 games in two years wouldn't exactly be a huge amount, that's 2-3 games per year and if you aren't "lucky" enough to be interested in some of these 5 games, it will really be a dire 2 years, when it comes to PS4 1st Party output and most importantly not everyone wants to be there day one with PS5.

MLB The Show 2019, Medievil, concrete Genie, Japanese exclusives, VR games and possible unannounced titles...Nah, they will be fine!

mugwhump

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
I thought this thread was gonna be about their lack of transparency over the new censorship policies.

No point showing up to E3 if they don't have anything they want to show or are comfortable showing at that time.

ACL

Nov 18, 2017
MLB The Show 2019, Medievil, concrete Genie, Japanese exclusives, VR games and possible unannounced titles...Nah, they will be fine!

They'll be fine even if they pushed every known 1st Party game to PS5 and cancelled the PS4 version... What have Japanese exclusives to do with the topic at hand?

BIGLukas

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I mean yeah it sucks to not have PSX or their E3 conference but if they don't want to show anything then it's probably good that they aren't.

Oct 28, 2017
I mean it's not like they're sitting around the office playing poker all day. It's obvious they're working on the last PS4 games and prepping ps5.

Guessing this is that "crouching down" moment Sony mentioned months ago.

Yurinka

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I think it's understandable. They already shown what they can for their 2019/2020 games: Dreams, Days Gone, Medievil, Tsushima, Death Stranding, TLOU2. And for these games before launch they only will release maybe a trailer or two more before launch.

They may announce some minor game more but won't have decent game announcements until 2020 (or at least after E3 2019) once they reveal PS5 and its games. So it wouldn't make sense to spend a lot of money going to E3, making PSX to show the same games again and again.

They mentioned that are reconsidering their communication so maybe they make something more similar to Nintendo Direct: cheaper, more focused on the online, with more focus on 3rd party and indie games and made many times across the year instead of in the 3 or so main gaming events.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We all know they are announcing the PS5 next year or so hence the silence, they are holding off announcements because everything is next gen.

Punpun

Alt account
Banned
Nov 24, 2018
I'm not happy with the silence. If all the big announcements like TLOU2 and DS end up being PS5 titles, I'll be pissed. Sony became to arrogant this gen because there's no real competition for them.

Shoshi

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
I'm happy if they save money on PR and stuff and do what they're good at - providing us with the best games.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
It is fine. It is the moment of the generation where there is simply less to say. As I'm not ready to move on, I'd say it can continue even a bit more.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
I'm not happy with the silence. If all the big announcements like TLOU2 and DS end up being PS5 titles, I'll be pissed. Sony became to arrogant this gen because there's no real competition for them.

I don't think there's a slightest chance, that the announced games wouldn't be released on PS4. Sure, they might come to PS5 as well, but they aren't likely to skip the current system.

I also don't see how any of this would be a sign of arrogance.

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018
okay so i can appreciate the 'you disagree' vibe you guys are putting off? But I mean this 'holier-than-thou' attitude with the short replies is very annoying.

To clarify since you're putting more on it than you need to:

I thought 2018 merely continued in the Sony theatrical style from the past two years. Orchestra, sitar player and theatrical stage elements, then building environments of the games you're seeing.

Did I need to write all of that? No. I just disagree it's anymore pretentious than getting a symphony to introduce every game or orchestrating the other theatrical elements from previous year. They're all trying to build the same kind of ambiance of a moment for the crowd that's there.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
their E3 was pretentious AF in my opinion and this silence reminds me of a 'we can do what we want' attitude; for example, microsoft announcing the XBONE (coming off of 360) and Sony announcing PS3 (coming off of PS2). So I just hope I am dead wrong and this silence is 'hard at work' rather than 'we have won'.

Huh?! If you're talking about the barn scene, I loved it, and it tied perfectly with The Last of Us 2 material that followed. If that was prententious, then the orchestrated GOW reveal was such as well.

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018
Answering the question, I don't really care? If there is one thing you can count on a company selling you something to do, they will try to sell you on it more.

And if they don't sell you on it or you think the presentation is arrogant, pretentious, lazy, then don't buy it until you hear something you like.

Shini42

Jan 7, 2018
5 in less than two years is a ton, when we're talking about AAA exclusives. Don't forget, that PS4 have a full third party support on top of that 5 games. No competitor can say that about themselves.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland

The PS3 didn't have a huge load of exclusives in 2013 either (GOW:A, TLOU, Beyond, and GT6 EDIT: + Puppeteer), but it's still generally considered a great year of exclusives. That send-off for the system generated a lot of goodwill, which carried on to the PS4, and if they manage to replicate that with Days Gone, TLOU2, Death Stranding, Ghost of Tshushima, Dreams, Concrete Genie, and MediEvil, it'll likely pay-off for them next gen as well.

Romez

Nov 11, 2017
Why would anyone be unhappy? We know what games are coming and we know that most of them will come next year.

Days Gone is in a few months time. Ghost of Tsushima, Dreams and The Last of Us Part 2 are all coming soon and most likely next year.

Then they'll announce PS5 when they're ready.

JamboGT

Vehicle Handling Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Have played tonnes of great games this year, know what games are on the horizon, am ok with things.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
The poll results show indifference - with the catch that 'so long as they deliver the product?"

At the end of the day, these corporations are not my friends. We have a transactional relationship where if their products or affliated services are worth the money, I'd buy them. If they continue to deliver that without doing something that I deem to be unethical, I will continue that relationship. If they fail to deliver, that relationship ends and I take my money elsewhere.

Sony's "silence" is not their product. Their silence contributes to an air of uncertainty in regards to the future pipeline, but at the end of the day... that isn't their product. That's just their (lack of) marketing of their product.

And while marketing is an element of any relationship between an enthusiast consumer and a corporation... they are not why I have a relationship with the company. It's the products.
The question to ask is "why does people care about PSX and E3?"

The answer is "for the games that will be shown there."

If next year comes along and Sony has no equivalence in terms of a platform, be it a PS-Direct, PS Meeting, etc - to announce and showcase games ( at least the bare minimum expected of a platform holder annually ) people will naturally be upset.

But it doesn't have to be a PSX or an E3.

And a PSX or E3 without games wouldn't be a show people care about.

It is not my interest to care about the 'lack of fairness' that a billion dollar corporation shows to other multi-hundred million/billion dollar corporations.
Exactly.

As to the last point...how did we go from fans being unhappy to 3rd parties...lol.

Some folks are letting their true intentions show.

OP
OP
Sillegamer

Sillegamer

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, over 2000 votes already passed.

Seems like indifferent is the clear majority so far, with no behind.

The category with the fewest votes is Yes - as in, happy with the current silence.

By current silence, I directly mean the absence of a clear release schedule going forward into 2019 or an indication of the next time Sony will speak to the fans.

The software slate is excellent, but the major titles except for Days Gone do not have any release dates, which is odd.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
People (around 90 milion to be more exact) would be really pist off if any of those games (Death Stranding, TLOU2 and GoT) did not come out on PS4. I think they are not so dumb to do that. In a perfect setting, the PS5 launches in 2020 with some exclusive games (Horizon 2 and etc) and with some patches/remasters of the last big PS4 games.
Some of you do realize the PS4 launched with PS4 exclusives.

At the same time, your also want to show off the shiny new toy.

Nevermind, I saw you mentioned the games already announced for PS4. Yeah that would be tricky of they didn't come to PS4.

Deleted member 22585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
Sony is on a streak of great titles and have been amazing in the last years. PS5 is on the horizon and there are still games to come on PS4. They are handling it just fine. Feel indifferent.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
They better reconsider and show up to E3, even if they decide not to do a conference. Skipping it entirely is a mistake

AfterTheFall

Oct 27, 2017
They are working hard on a brand new console. They aren't going to show us what they are working on until the time is right. Hopefully we will all go "wow"

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
They don't need to talk since they've been delivering on the games. There's nothing for them to say other than to flaunt sales figures.

[Sigma]

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I voted indifferent although voting that is just like voting "no" in my book.lol. The reality for me is that I still need to get thru a bunch of games that came out this year and some the year before. If anything, im more concerned or curious about what's going on with the whole censorship thing.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
I missed having a European show this year, but otherwise I don't really expect a lot of noise. I certainly wouldn't be expecting 'noise' this time of year.

So, it doesn't really matter. Being quiet in terms of press conferences and quiet on the market are two different things. Their market activities and game output speaks for itself. If they actually do get the Dreams beta out in time for Christmas, it'll be a cap on a great year.