• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Are PlayStation Fans Happy With Sony's Current Silence?

• Yes

Votes: 598 20.6%
  • No

Votes: 717 24.7%
  • Indifferent

Votes: 1,586 54.7%

• Total voters

Deleted member 9857

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I voted for indifferent because I'm not happy about it but I'm also definitely not unhappy about it. Sony has done enough to earn my faith in them when they're being silent based on what they've given us this gen so far.

We don't need to know everything at the earliest points of development after all.

Jaxar

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Just like 99% don't care about PSX and E3?

No those are big shows granted, and to be fair Sony said we'd hear more about their plans in the new year. It's mid-December now so hopefully we'll hear more before too long.

The rest of the stuff you mentioned though are just desperate bullet-points strung together to try and push a point. That's the sort of thing most of the PS4 population aren't too concerned about, and it's certainly not something that would cause Sony to shy away from their community over. Actually, even just the notion of that possibly being true is laughable.

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
hahahaha this thread.

Sony is doing fine, their 2019 lineup is mostly set, with some games likely spilling into early 2020. Beyond that, they'll have to announce new titles for the launch of their new hardware at some point, but there's still plenty of time for that in early 2020. The roadmap for their success was laid out in 2013. Barring a huge curveball from MS upending their plans, I don't see why they should deviate from it.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
I haven't played anything on my PS4 since finishing Spider-man, but from the start of 2019 I'm going to be floored with Kingdom Hearts 3, Resident Evil 2, Devil May Cry 5, and Sekiro. Hard to complain about that.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Imagine a world where great games keep coming out, month after month, with no preview, fanfare, or endless hype train.

Sounds pretty great to me, honestly.

Staticneuron

Oct 25, 2017

Well.. Trouble is we have some very crafty stealth trolls who know how to just slide on by. The interesting thing is how relentless some of them are and they refuse to move on. I have 2 on my ignore list that did this daily and I bet they are still doing it daily. It's just not worth lowering yourself to their level because all you're doing is making things worse. Some see Sony's success in this market as an offense and try make anything they do, or don't do, a big deal. There are critics who just want them to do better and then there are critics who want them gone but try and hide it with their concern trolling.

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
I haven't really been a fan of Sony at all this generation, and the silence has just made me dislike them even more.

Sony gave me God of War, which I feel like is an absolute masterpiece. Especislly considering I HATE the series. And Uncharted 4 was pretty great, and I loved replaying Ratchet and Clank, but otherwise I have been really unimpressed with everything Sony has put out, their "better than you" attitude, and now their silence with nothing really announced that has me excited to own a Playstation or to buy the next Playstation.

Troll

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Sarcasm.

I'm fine with cross-gen for the launch titles but I want next-gen exclusives going forward.

Sorry man its hard to tell on here. To me it really depends on a few things that should dictate how long OG PS4 support continues. I don't think there's a way to support the PS4 indefinitely, and no one should expect that. At the same time game engines are incredibly scalable. Games like fortnight can run on toasters and still look great on my X. I'm excited to see what Sony has in store for the PS5 and how they handle forward compatibility. I trust sony is going to do something reasonable.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty worn out by their silence. It wouldn't be as bad if I cared about anything they have announced, but I just don't. Death Stranding isn't even a real game yet, and the rest of their stuff just feels completely unexciting to me.

When you have nothing to look forward to, absolute radio silence is kind of the worst thing. I have really not been impressed with Layden's leadership so far.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No those are big shows granted, and to be fair Sony said we'd hear more about their plans in the new year. It's mid-December now so hopefully we'll hear more before too long.

The rest of the stuff you mentioned though are just desperate bullet-points strung together to try and push a point. That's the sort of thing most of the PS4 population aren't too concerned about, and it's certainly not something that would cause Sony to shy away from their community over. Actually, even just the notion of that possibly being true is laughable.

Talking about crossplay is desperation bullet points? That's an interesting take given how everyone involved seems to be part of it one way or another.

People were upset over PSX 2017 (which they run, not attend) and people were upset at E3 2018. How is that not getting repercussions or do you need them to be fined or something?

Judging by a lot of the comments here it appears as long as Sony continues to deliver the goods nothing else seems to matter.

Well.. Trouble is we have some very crafty stealth trolls who know how to just slide on by. The interesting thing is how relentless some of them are and they refuse to move on. I have 2 on my ignore list that did this daily and I bet they are still doing it daily. It's just not worth lowering yourself to their level because all you're doing is making things worse. Some see Sony's success in this market as an offense and try make anything they do, or don't do, a big deal. There are critics who just want them to do better and then there are critics who want them gone but try and hide it with their concern trolling.

I don't think I've ever come across anyone wanting Sony gone. I couldn't fathom any reason why anyone would want that.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
I don't care about the silence per se, but I have been unhappy with their events -- and lack of them -- the last couple years. I don't know who exactly is responsible for this, but their PR efforts have been consistently not at all what I want to see. So in that respect I'd rather them say nothing than have an hour of harmonica solos. I like artsy stuff, but I don't want that at Sony events. I want big, brash, swagger Sony. That can be artistic as well, but PSX felt really navel gazing on their part. Even though the event was quieter, it felt more self-aggrandizing. Past events were huge spectacles, but they still struck a tone of humility. I think that's the main tonal shift that's happened since the beginning of the PS4 and it rubs me the wrong way.

I also don't like the renewed focus on western cinematic games as if we're back in the PS3 gen again. I buy consoles primarily to play Japanese games. It's starting to feel like I'll have to buy a Switch to get that experience now. Sony is letting too many good Japanese titles become Nintendo exclusives.

Deleted member 36493

User requested account closure
Dec 19, 2017
Sorry man its hard to tell on here. To me it really depends on a few things that should dictate how long OG PS4 support continues. I don't think there's a way to support the PS4 indefinitely, and no one should expect that. At the same time game engines are incredibly scalable. Games like fortnight can run on toasters and still look great on my X. I'm excited to see what Sony has in store for the PS5 and how they handle forward compatibility. I trust sony is going to do something reasonable.
No worries.

Next-gen consoles are expected to have far more powerful CPUs than what current-gen consoles have. This opens the door for enhanced physics and AI that could drive gameplay mechanics — something that wouldn't be as "scalable" between generations. But I see what you mean and it's definitely possible that the transitional periods between generations will last longer this time around.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
As a PS4 owner, it's fine. They've done everything to signal that's Days Gone, Death Stranding, Last of Us 2, and Tsushima will be the last major first-party games for the PS4 over the course of the next two years. That seems like an acceptable lineup to me, and I don't need new demos of those games every few months just to fill out the event calendar.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Judging by a lot of the comments here it appears as long as Sony continues to deliver the goods nothing else seems to matter.
And that is what matters the most to a lot of people here, the games.

I get wanting them to talk more about their policies and I think we will get that closer to the PS5 reveal.

SavoyPrime

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina USA
I'm honestly not bothered. I have such a backlog on my PS4, that will keep my attention for quite some time. I'm sure with the PS5 on the horizon, there just isn't much for them to talk about right now outside of the known games coming. No need to keep hammering the same nail about Last of Us 2, Death Stranding, Days Gone, etc. Plus let's be real, Sony isn't going to really lose any momentum this gen. So they can do this. Xbox is a wrap. They don't have anything coming up that is going to seriously move units and be a legitimate threat to the PS4. So you can take risks when you have like a 46 million unit lead on your competition. I just don't want them to get complacent or over-confident though. I don't think MS will be making the same mistakes they made this time around, in next gen's race.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia

The poll results show indifference - with the catch that 'so long as they deliver the product?"

At the end of the day, these corporations are not my friends. We have a transactional relationship where if their products or affliated services are worth the money, I'd buy them. If they continue to deliver that without doing something that I deem to be unethical, I will continue that relationship. If they fail to deliver, that relationship ends and I take my money elsewhere.

Sony's "silence" is not their product. Their silence contributes to an air of uncertainty in regards to the future pipeline, but at the end of the day... that isn't their product. That's just their (lack of) marketing of their product.

And while marketing is an element of any relationship between an enthusiast consumer and a corporation... they are not why I have a relationship with the company. It's the products.

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
Doesn't really bother me TBH because we know what's on the horizon and when they come forward they'll come strong IMO.

The radio silence has me intrigued and weirdly excited.

Oct 30, 2017
I swear I feel like Nintendo "goes silent" and also leaves their platforms with a lot less to play towards the end of generations more than Sony seems to be doing currently.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As a PS4 owner, it's fine. They've done everything to signal that's Days Gone, Death Stranding, Last of Us 2, and Tsushima will be the last major first-party games for the PS4 over the course of the next two years. That seems like an acceptable lineup to me, and I don't need new demos of those games every few months just to fill out the event calendar.

The poll results show indifference - with the catch that 'so long as they deliver the product?"

At the end of the day, these corporations are not my friends. We have a transactional relationship where if their products or affliated services are worth the money, I'd buy them. If they continue to deliver that without doing something that I deem to be unethical, I will continue that relationship. If they fail to deliver, that relationship ends and I take my money elsewhere.

Sony's "silence" is not their product. Their silence contributes to an air of uncertainty in regards to the future pipeline, but at the end of the day... that isn't their product. That's just their (lack of) marketing of their product.

And while marketing is an element of any relationship between an enthusiast consumer and a corporation... they are not why I have a relationship with the company. It's the products.

Is it fair to the third party publishers that the leader in the console industry doesn't feel the need to promote their titles at big events any longer because Sony knows they will get the majority of sales regardless?

Orbit

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
their E3 was pretentious AF in my opinion and this silence reminds me of a 'we can do what we want' attitude; for example, microsoft announcing the XBONE (coming off of 360) and Sony announcing PS3 (coming off of PS2). So I just hope I am dead wrong and this silence is 'hard at work' rather than 'we have won'.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia

The question to ask is "why does people care about PSX and E3?"

The answer is "for the games that will be shown there."

If next year comes along and Sony has no equivalence in terms of a platform, be it a PS-Direct, PS Meeting, etc - to announce and showcase games ( at least the bare minimum expected of a platform holder annually ) people will naturally be upset.

But it doesn't have to be a PSX or an E3.

And a PSX or E3 without games wouldn't be a show people care about.

Is it fair to the third party publishers that the leader in the console industry doesn't feel the need to promote their titles at big events any longer because Sony knows they will get the majority of sales regardless?

It is not my interest to care about the 'lack of fairness' that a billion dollar corporation shows to other multi-hundred million/billion dollar corporations.

cheesekao

Dec 1, 2017
They still have a slew of exclusives that have yet to be released. Them releasing good games is what matters most.

Gifted

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm fine for now honestly. We know the major upcoming 1st party games: Days Gone, Dreams, Ghost of Tsushima, and Last of Us 2. PS5 announcement is happening sooner than later, were in a good spot.

The last year or so has lead me to believe that they're saving announcements for next gen and very possibly trying to get to a point where they don't announce games so far in advance. We'll see what ends up happening.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
I'm indifferent.

Layden specifically implied that next year is when more things will be happening. There's enough going on right now for them to stay quiet. If they keep doing this a few months into next year then I might start to get concerned.

So basically it's a nonissue. Neither yes or no because nothing has really happened yet for better or worse.

AudioEppa

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
stay silent and focused.

If people want to listen to Sony talk, Watch or read old interviews until they have something new to say.

Staticneuron

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I've ever come across anyone wanting Sony gone. I couldn't fathom any reason why anyone would want that.

I wasn't being serious.

I think this is why playstation fans aren't worried. Sony has been delivering for generations. You may not like everything that comes out but one thing that is constant is thier studios are all working on something. In addition to this because of the PS4's position on the market, it gets alot of attention from third parties and even a few exclusives. So the question " Are you ok with company "X" doing "Y" ?" is always a conditional question.

I can point to Microsoft. If MS were to fall silent for a while at this point in time, most gamers shouldn't be worried given the studio acquisitions and the amount they have stated are in the pipelines. This is a different reaction from the time they cancelled Scalebound because that led people to count the titles they were working on and feed into the uncertainty you mention.

All three companies seem to be in a good position right now and have many projects in the pipeline. No reasonable gamer should be worried at this time if MS, Nintendo or Sony fell silent for a while.

What are you talking about? Any major pubs absence provides more exposure for the third party games that are displayed at the event. And even if Sony games sell alot, third party pubs normally sell more due t being multiplatform. Third parties don't need to rely on Sony showing up to push their product for them.

Last edited:

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018
their E3 was pretentious AF in my opinion and this silence reminds me of a 'we can do what we want' attitude; for example, microsoft announcing the XBONE (coming off of 360) and Sony announcing PS3 (coming off of PS2). So I just hope I am dead wrong and this silence is 'hard at work' rather than 'we have won'.

Amazing...

Deleted member 50193

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
The only thing I'm unhappy about is their silence over the debacle that is the PlayStation Classic. Otherwise I couldn't care less, still got plenty of PS4 games to play through.

Dizastah

Oct 25, 2017
Confused about what? In the public eye they decided to not attend this years PSX, won't be attending E3 2019 and didn't stick around post-show at the Games Awards (both Phil and Reggie did).
The thread title says "current silence". Now you tell me what announcements the other two have made lately that make Sony seem so silent....other than MS acquiring studios(because they obviously need to).

Maybe their poor/embarrassing E3 show this year and the controversy surrounding console crossplay plus censoring games made them pull back from making too many public appearances.

So you're saying they're afraid to make appearances because of a "poor/embarrassing" E3 and crossplay controversy?
giphy.gif

Oct 31, 2017
Totally indifferent. As long as the games keep coming I don't care. I don't need constant updates on upcoming games, I just want them to be good when they arrive. I also know that they are preparing for the PS5 so I don't expect them to keep me constantly updated on the future lineup for the next 5 years. We already know that GoT, Death Stranding, Days Gone, TLOU2, and Dreams are on their way. Those games are more than enough to keep me satisfied until the PS5 arrives.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
I can be patient with Sony. I have a feeling they won't be quiet for too much longer looking at their lineup of big projects coming out in 2019 and beyond, so they'll have to show more of it in some shape or form. Besides, almost anything Sony shows catches my attention lately, so if them being silent for a few more months means we could potentially see a mega conference after E3 2019, I think that's worth the wait myself.

Jaxar

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Talking about crossplay is desperation bullet points? That's an interesting take given how everyone involved seems to be part of it one way or another.

The issue of cross-play is a far bigger issue to people like yourself on forums like ERA than it is for the greater gaming community, and again to suggest that Sony is shying away from their PR because of issues like that is honestly quite silly.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
They have tons of announced and incredibly high profile [basically the best "most anticipated"] games. The "silence" is only for distant distant games that won't be out for years.

I'm fine.

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
Can't say that I care since I dun play Sony made/published games. That they "snubbed" JP games at E3 and last PSX (iirc) compared to years before means even less reason to look forward to an event/news from 'em.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't make much of a difference to me, honestly. Most of my gaming time lately has been spent playing Switch.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
PS5 is on the horizon

their silence is fine

If it were 2019 I'd give you that. But all signs point towards it being 2020 at the earliest, and we still have about a dozen more exclusives in the pipeline, half of which we barely know anything about, and all but one exist without even a vague release date. Sony quickly rose to become one of my favorite devs this gen, but their silence can be worse than Nintendo's at times.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Don't we know more about upcoming 2019 Sony games than upcoming 2019 Nintendo and Microsoft games?
It'll be fine. No worries or anger or anything here.

bear force one

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orlando
Gamers, please at least try to act normal for once.

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
I'm indifferent.

They've pretty much laid out the groundwork of what we'll get in 2019. I don't really see the need to have them reiterate the same talking points again and again. If there was no mention of new 1st party software coming out next year, then yeah, I'd be a bit concerned about their silence, but that's not the case.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm indifferent. Whenever they decide to make an announcement I'm sure it'll be great, so I'm not really bothered by it one way or the other.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The thread title says "current silence". Now you tell me what announcements the other two have made lately that make Sony seem so silent....other than MS acquiring studios(because they obviously need to).

So you're saying they're afraid to make appearances because of a "poor/embarrassing" E3 and crossplay controversy?

The topic is about Sony's current silence which has to do with cancelled events and future events. Microsoft had an XO event, it wasn't just to announce more studios. Nintendo has had two Nintendo Directs. Both will also be appearing at E3 next year. Phil and Reggie also stayed behind at the Game Awards, Shawn didn't stick around.

It's also no secret many disliked Sony's E3 event so maybe Sony wants to control it's messaging in the future and feels these shows no longer serve their needs. It's also timely that since the Xbox One X came Sony decided to focus solely on their own games at this years E3. Hopefully that has nothing to do with them no longer having the best versions to showcase.

Sony has always relied heavily on third party titles and now it seems like they no longer feel the need to promote them and since they've announced their unreleased exclusives multiple times I guess that's it until they are ready to talk about the PS5.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not happy, but it's pretty clearly telegraphing PS5. I'm assuming that almost all of their upcoming PS4 first party games will be cross platform releases

Oct 27, 2017
Don't care, really.

I do not see what they would need to address right now, cross play is getting fixed and that the only thing I heard about (though I do not care about it either).

Deleted member 1003

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Confused about what? In the public eye they decided to not attend this years PSX, won't be attending E3 2019 and didn't stick around post-show at the Games Awards (both Phil and Reggie did). Maybe their poor/embarrassing E3 show this year and the controversy surrounding console crossplay plus censoring games made them pull back from making too many public appearances.
No, none of this. They had a great year and they know it. They will have a great 2019 as well. If you're and others so troubled by the "censorship" there is always the internet to satisfy the "needs."