• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you think finishing just the Shura route is considered beating the game?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Portmanteau

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm wanting to settle a debate between two friends.

One friend says that he has finished Sekiro - he got the Shura ending on his first playthrough and it put him into NG+, thus he considers it beaten. My other friend contends that by going that route, you've essentially cut the game short since the other path is far longer and thus have not truly beaten the game.

I'm not going to inject my opinion here, I just want to see what the general mass thinks.

By taking the Shura route, do you think this constitutes beating the game?

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I mean yes. You beat a boss and get an ending. There is more to do if you are getting one of the other endings but and ending is an ending.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Doing the shura route is like playing the neutral route in Undertale and considering that "beating" the game.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think I'd consider it. It's clearly an alt route for completionist types.

Like, you can technically go kill Lavos in Chrono Trigger a couple hours into the game, but I don't think I'd call it "really" beating the game if it was your first time through.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
Leaning towards "no," but you're really only missing Fountainhead Palace and the Isshin fight. It's like 15% of the game maybe?

Either way, it's a great ending to witness, but I think you're doing yourself a disservice if it's the only one you go for.

Mugman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I consider it an ending for sure, but I'd also consider it a shame if that's the only ending of the game that was seen

Duty

Oct 25, 2017
If you didn't defeat
ISS
you didn't beat anything.

Last edited:

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
If you take a alternate route that's critical path to the ending is exponentially shorter than the normal ending then it doesn't count.

Young Liar

Nov 30, 2017
Yes, that's beating the game, but also, yes, not playing the game again to see the other endings means missing out on more of that good, good Sekiro content.

Oct 25, 2017
Not really. But if they're ok with that experience, more power to them. It's like people who only get ending A in a Yoko Taro game and consider it done. If you're ok with that, I'm not gonna tell you that you're playing it wrong, but you definitely didn't experience what the game has to offer in terms of main story.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
Yes, but not completely.

The game allows you to end the story at 75%, yes it's technically end, but only 75% of the game.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
It's not the compete or fulfilling ending to me, but it's an ending they designed and put in the game so I still say it counts.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Hmmmmm.......its subjective, its a way to finish the game, but I would say that 'beat' implies something more complete. Not going towards the "good" ending removes 3 to 5 major boss sequences from the game (adding only 1) and removes one of the largest areas in the game (probably 20-25% of total game explorable area), and a revisit through transformed key areas of the game.

I guess then the question also is, did you really beat it if you didn't experience the final boss for the 'good' endings, as he is considered by many to be the toughest boss in the game and one of the toughest ever. Of course some players do think the Shura ending boss sequence is just as hard.

So again, I lean towards no, but I would also say that to get the true best Sekiro finish you really need to make sure you do all available bosses, including the two late optional bosses and the final boss sequences for the Shura and 'good' endings. Only then would I say you got the best out of what the game has to offer.

Rai_11

Nov 7, 2017
It's like all those games where you can beat the game in a really messed up way at the beginning! No the Shura ending is not beating this game I would say!

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, sure. It technically counts because you got to the credits. And even beyond that, you're only missing out on extra content, not necessarily "taking the easy way out" or whatever. If you can beat the shura ending you can beat the others as well. It's not easier, it just has less content. So even if you want to go beyond the technical definition of "beating the game" and get into more subjective stuff there's no reason to be snobby about it.

TechMetalRules

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Sep 11, 2019
United States
Only doing the Shura ending in Sekiro is like wearing the bare minimum 15 pieces of flair, when you could really express yourself by wearing 37 pieces. Don't you want to express yourself?

Wealthydave3

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Yes it does count because its one of the 4 "paths" you can take. Its not like Nier Automata where the endings are really endings. As a matter of fact the final boss for shura ending is harder than the final boss most people fought.

Gparan

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
While I have not played Sekiro I think an ending that happens after playing through the majority of the game is as good as any other ending. As someone that has played all other Soulsborne games (even gettting the platinum to 2, 3 and Bloodborne) anyone saying no feels like typical gamer elitism.

Zolbrod

Oct 27, 2017
Osaka, Japan
It's an ending, it's got a final boss, it's got end credits, and it leads into New Game+.
Don't see how it doesn't count.

Would I recommend people play the other story line? Yes, but that doesn't mean this one doesn't count.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Technically, yes.

Personally, I vote no. You're missing:

- Fountainhead Palace
- Ashina on fire
- Demon of Hatred
- Genichiro/Isshin, obviously the true last boss

Feels like too large a part of the game to say you "beat" it, personally. But, technically, it's an ending with credits and all.

sym30l1c

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, technically you do. But I would consider that just reaching an ending and not properly finishing the game. You are missing a fundamental part of the game.

You can get an ending in Far Cry 4 and 5 in what, 15-20 minutes? Would you consider that really finishing the game? (I know in Sekiro you experience quite a lot more in comparison)

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I voted yes, they beat the game. There's a clear cut final boss, credits roll ect.

Etain

Oct 25, 2017
I'd consider it a bad end. Yes, it's an ending, but it's a premature one with a huge chunk of the game to still play. And this isn't getting into hardcore 100% territory either, just new areas to visit.

EDIT: And if that satisfies you, great, TBH you arguably gained enough for your time and money with other games left at half done, never mind this one. But know there's still more game to squeeze out if you're not satisfied yet.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
In my opinion, if you reach a finishing point, that is beating the game. Even if it is unconventional. That being said, your friend is missing some of the best content in the game, so that is disappointing. Like, they beat it, but they didn't get the most out of it...

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
He's missing out on a lot of content, but yea, he did finish the game. Just like how you can finish Bloodborne and miss out on more than 60% of the game.

Loadout

Oct 26, 2017
Israel
The Shura ending is just one of the multiple ways to experience how events unfold. Of course, every developer would've preferred that every gamer would beat their product multiple times to experience every bit of content they've put in there, but it's down to the player whether they choose to do so.

You can get an ending in Far Cry 4 and 5 in what, 15-20 minutes? Would you consider that really finishing the game? (I know in Sekiro you experience quite a lot more in comparison)

No, because that's obviously an easter egg or rather a running gag within the series at this point. I think the developers said so themselves.

Timelord19

One Winged Slayer
Aug 21, 2018
Mallorca, Spain
Beating Sekiro without hearing "Hesistation is defeat" after SSI beats you dozens of times is not the full experience. But yes Shura ending is still an ending after all.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Shura Ending boss is harder than the SSI fight. Soo there is that. I did SSI but haven't beaten Shura ending yet since release lol

White Glint

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Now I wanna do Shura again just for those two boss fights.

Wouldn't really consider it beating the game since they haven't seen a lot of really really great stuff.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who finished with Shura first and let out a mighty "wait, what?!" when the credits started, I'm gonna say that's leaving things unfinished.

It's like saying you beat symphony of the night after conking Richter dead without discovering the inverted castle.
Unfortunately sekiro Shura ending doesn't let you pick back up from the decision moment thus making it sorta definitive in execution of the bad end.

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
No way, if you don't do the real final boss, which is the hardest and the best in the game, then you haven't completed it. You skip too much otherwise.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
hqdefault.jpg