• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

1 year later, were you able to secure a PS5 or Series X?

• Yes, I bought a PS5

Votes: 1,172 37.1%
  • Yes, I bought a Series X or S

Votes: 425 13.5%
  • Yes, I bought both

Votes: 978 31.0%
  • No, but I've actively been trying

Votes: 105 3.3%
  • No, but I haven't really tried too hard

Votes: 259 8.2%
  • No, but I am not in the market to buy one

Votes: 219 6.9%

• Total voters

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Think I'm in the "fuck a console this geb, sticking with pc" crowd but honestly if I did get an X or something I'm not trying to buy one until I can walk into a store, purchase it and be done. Most of my friends are going to uograde but refuse to do so until they can do the same. Not wasting my time with childish bullshit lotteries and such.

eternalblue

Oct 27, 2017
I knew I wanted a PS5 sooner or later, mainly wanting to get one before Horizon: Forbidden West's release, but didn't really try too terribly hard at tracking various website drops or anything until Final Fantasy VII Remake: Intergrade was announced on February 25. That lit a fire for me to actively try my best to get one before Intergrade came out. I wound up getting an order to pickup at store from Target 2 weeks later on March 11.

As for Xbox Series S/X, I originally wasn't interested in it much at all, as I already feel that it was kind a waste of money when I bought an OG Xbox One last generation and hardly played enough of it for it to have been worth it, since PS4 had more system exclusives I was interested in and I was already more entrenched in PlayStation's ecosystem. Game Pass has looked increasingly good to me, though, and there's been a handful Xbox exclusives that I'm interested in playing, so I'd started seriously considering getting a Series S which has been frequently widely available and easy to purchase, but as attractive as its pricepoint was, I couldn't convince myself I wouldn't regret not getting a Series X instead which would still give me the option for discs as well. So off and on, I tried looking for a Series X, but not very hard for the last several months. Then with Gamescom on August 25 the limited edition Halo Infinite Series X was announced, which I thought looked really cool. Saw a link for it at Microsoft's site, had to refresh once, then got an order in for one, so I should be getting my Series X on November 15.

OP
OP
LetsEatSnacks

LetsEatSnacks

Oct 18, 2020
United States
I only purchased the PS5 as the Xbox exclusive lineup has never been too interesting to me but to
I knew I wanted a PS5 sooner or later, mainly wanting to get one before Horizon: Forbidden West's release, but didn't really try too terribly hard at tracking various website drops or anything until Final Fantasy VII Remake: Intergrade was announced on February 25. That lit a fire for me to actively try my best to get one before Intergrade came out. I wound up getting an order to pickup at store from Target 2 weeks later on March 11.

As for Xbox Series S/X, I originally wasn't interested in it much at all, as I already feel that it was kind a waste of money when I bought an OG Xbox One last generation and hardly played enough of it for it to have been worth it, since PS4 had more system exclusives I was interested in and I was already more entrenched in PlayStation's ecosystem. Game Pass has looked increasingly good to me, though, and there's been a handful Xbox exclusives that I'm interested in playing, so I'd started seriously considering getting a Series S which has been frequently widely available and easy to purchase, but as attractive as its pricepoint was, I couldn't convince myself I wouldn't regret not getting a Series X instead which would still give me the option for discs as well. So off and on, I tried looking for a Series X, but not very hard for the last several months. Then with Gamescom on August 25 the limited edition Halo Infinite Series X was announced, which I thought looked really cool. Saw a link for it at Microsoft's site, had to refresh once, then got an order in for one, so I should be getting my Series X on November 15.

I'm kind of right there with you on the Series X/ S. I have a PS5 and thought I would never pick up the X but game pass really does feel like a system seller to me. That said, I still don't have much interest in Microsoft's exclusives and I've never been a big fan of Bethesda games so I'd essentially be buying it to be my "free games box."

Hoping Sony comes out with a new service today to compete!

Ryu_Ken

Oct 30, 2017
Got both at launch but gave my nephew my PS5 so he could have one for Christmas. Had to wait till March to get another one.

dglavimans

Nov 13, 2019
I was able to secure 2 digital PS5 and 1 XSX on launch.

The XSX was pre-ordered the day after it got announced at VGA lol and the PS5 the day after the console was first shown..

The second digital PS5 was just purely for my own sake because while I was first on the list for the XSX the PS5 was a bit harder so I wasn't sure I would receive it. On a Dutch forum we spoke about pre orders and someone had their PS5 cancelled or something so I decided to ask him if he wanted the second one if both came through to me. Sold it at him for market value and he was so happy and nice to give me a year of PS+ for it :)

BigDes

Knows Too Much
Oct 25, 2017
Got a Series S. They seem easy enough to get here, Series X and PS5 I have not actually seen in the wild at al yet.

W1ckedEvoX

Oct 27, 2017
Was able to snag an XSX/XSS/PS5 for myself, an XSX/PS5 for my brother and a PS5 for my fiancé throughout the year….much blood, sweat and tears lol

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
I ordered my Xbox Series X online via Walmart's Web site when pre-orders first went live. I ordered my PlayStation 5 DE online via GameStop's Web site last month. I wasn't trying to get a PlayStation 5 the entire time. I only recently decided to get one because of some PlayStation 4 games I wanted to play, and I really didn't feel like it was worth the money to just buy a PlayStation 4 when I could get a PlayStation 5 DE for $100 more and not deal with excruciating load times.

BlkSquirtle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Got 3 PS5s at launch, One for me, my partner and my friend who couldn't. My partner sold theirs in the end because there was nothing out yet that they wanted. Got a fourth a month later for a friend of a friend who was having trouble snagging one.

Before anybody says anything I didn't use a bot or pay scalper prices, just staying up late, getting lucky and following Wario.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
No, but I'm not looking to get one. Was very close to get a Series X at one point, but got an RTX 3070, which is even more rare

Calvinien

Banned
Jul 13, 2019
My local Electronics Boutique (RIP) had a long line the day preorders for the S|X went live. This was in the middle of lockdown so it was one of like 2 stores open in the mall.The lineup was doubly long because of social distancing, but we had the room. It wasl also the day right after the bethesda buyout so that was all people were talking about. It was pretty fun.

They had us take numbers down and called us one at a time to enter the store and do the actual ordering. We had to reserve a specific time to come in. So I had to pick up my box between 1:00 and 1:30.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Honest question... As someone that owns both a xbox one and a 3060 ti, I RARELY use my Xboxone for anything other than streaming.... and I have a chromecast that I use more for streaming nowadays anyways. Do you find yourself still playing the series X?

Yeah, if it's a controller game I just find it easier to boot it up for stuff like Rocket League. As long as I get the 4k/120 mode then there's no need to go through the procedure to get my PC on the TV.

Rogue74

Nov 13, 2017
Miami, FL
Finally got my PS5 on August 5th. Was trying since Xmas when my wife tried to get me one and was unsuccessful. Saved the gift cards I got instead for 8 months lol.

Squirrel09

Nov 4, 2017
Yeah, if it's a controller game I just find it easier to boot it up for stuff like Rocket League. As long as I get the 4k/120 mode then there's no need to go through the procedure to get my PC on the TV.
That makes sense. I guess my computer boots up and loads into games quicker than my Xbox one. But with the series X being faster I can see the draw to that. I do wish windows functioned better with a controller.

Yung Coconut

Oct 31, 2017
Got a XSX at launch from the MS Store and that kept me sane during the 5 month search to score a 5900x and 3090 FE. Mostly play on PC, but the XSX has been really nice for media in the frontroom and whatever Game Pass releases are console only.

Probably going to completely skip the PS5 at this point and just play whatever scraps Sony throws at the PC in the next few years. I have absolutely no desire to hunt for another electronics item during the pandemic and have made it this far without one. First Sony console I haven't owned.

xewind

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Got a PS5 at launch.

I've seen the series S a couple of times on Walmart and been thinking of buying it but haven't done it yet.

Deleted member 46429

Self-requested ban
Banned
Aug 4, 2018
No, and somewhere between not trying and not in the market to buy one.

I have no rush to get a next gen console, but I imagine I'll get one eventually. Until then, I'll be trucking along with my PS4

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
Yup, managed to preorder and import from an international Amazon link that was shared here back in November.

After that success, I actively tried to get one for my sister and a friend periodically over a few months, but didn't have any luck. They both managed to get one eventually, though.