• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry, I get that Omar was criticized unfairly for her comments, but if calling someone "cheap" when they're cheap is anti-Semitic then I don't know what we're doing anymore.

My parents are cheap, too, and they're also not poor. Retirement house in another country, drive a second hand Kia.

If Bernie wasn't cheap and they said he was based on him being Jewish then well okay, but I don't see it.

I'm not trolling, truly, I just don't see the offense like others do.

I think there's a bit more to it than that, there's also relevance. Someone being cheap or not is something to discuss when they're tipping a waiter. Do we have an expectation that politicians not be cheap?

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry, I get that Omar was criticized unfairly for her comments, but if calling someone "cheap" when they're cheap is anti-Semitic then I don't know what we're doing anymore.

My parents are cheap, too, and they're also not poor. Retirement house in another country, drive a second hand Kia.

If Bernie wasn't cheap and they said he was based on him being Jewish then well okay, but I don't see it.

Well I can't get the original cached tweet wording to load but I'd say that if you're writing in this climate about a Jewish guy and money that you and several editors should at least be sensitive to that. In a way it's like using the "just the circle game" defense or "Pepe is funny and I'm not racist " approach- sure those things may sometimes be true but if you understand the current context then you should expect this kind of reaction and adjust your angle accordingly. It's also not news- Bernie's wealth has been extant and refreshed for some time so it's an editorial that also serves little purpose and that exacerbates how problematic it is in this context.

If they had new information about hypocrisy or insider trading or whatever then sure.

The fact that they redacted and replaced the tweet means they recognized it too.

Oct 25, 2017
Bernie is ancient and has been a public servant for like 40 years with books. Is 2 million really that much for someone who has had a job for that long. It's really not.

These ancient gotchas where you cant be rich or poor and support redistribution are dumb as shit. Engels was from a wealthy family to begin with and so was Zhou Enlai.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
seemed to me like you came into a thread about anti-semitism related to bernie sanders and went on a rant about how he didn't release his tax returns until he did release his tax returns (the literal only way that can happen, you can't release your tax returns until you do release your tax returns) and how that was super "suspicious" and how his totally "suspicious" behavior (he released his tax returns on tax day by the way [coincidence?!?!], months prior to the first primary debate) was a self inflicted wound that led to this anti-semitism

Um. No. You came up with this angle all on your own I'm afraid. I repeated my bafflement at Bernie's prior years of tax and holdings obfuscation (which is a real thing that happened) because the topic of the thread was a ridiculous politico hot take on the exact same subject which was a nothingburger as it turned out.

I just read a column that posited sort of convincingly that Bernie didn't show his taxes because

A) he's ornery
B) he didn't have a tax attorney to actually do the paperwork for him

But he's been inconsistent or vague on it for years. The reason it became a focus and a political liability in this period was the very valid and serious issues with Trump. It became a bad look and Bernie was combative about it in interviews. In retrospect it is possible he's just that grumpy but there's nothing controversial or unusual about citing the political appearance of it up to their release. Especially in the climate we're in.

Last edited:

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
already here as "not true antisemitism,thread is a waste because substantial issues not being discussed", dogwhistle by any other name

There are like two people dissembling and the rest of the thread agrees with you. I really don't quite understand picking a fight with people that largely either aren't commenting or don't even exist. It's constantly done on this forum as well in any thread on any topic. You obviously have a right to be angry about this. It's a shit article and tweet. But fighting ghosts just seems pointless.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Um. No. You came up with this angle all on your own I'm afraid

one sentence later...

I repeated my bafflement at Bernie's prior years of tax and holdings obfuscation (which is a real thing that happened) because the topic of the thread was a ridiculous politico hot take on the exact same subject which was a nothingburger as it turned out.

you mean you came into a thread about anti-semitism related to bernie sanders and went on a rant about how he didn't release his tax returns until he did release his tax returns (the literal only way that can happen, you can't release your tax returns until you do release your tax returns) and how that was super "suspicious" and how his totally "suspicious" behavior (he released his tax returns on tax day by the way [coincidence?!?!], months prior to the first primary debate) was a self inflicted wound that led to this anti-semitism?

Oct 29, 2017
On the one hand, the concept of increasing your personal wealth from your political campaign is kinda gross. On the other, Politico went in so hard on their hate-boner for Bernie they went straight into anti-Semitic dog whistles without blinking an eye.

Bramblebutt

Banned
Jan 11, 2018

My problem is that I don't see anything about Bernie's behaviour that's particularly miserly or uncharitable, ESPECIALLY in comparison to his political peers. So where is this judgement coming from, if not prejudice?

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
one sentence later...

you mean you came into a thread about anti-semitism related to bernie sanders and went on a rant about how he didn't release his tax returns until he did release his tax returns (the literal only way that can happen, you can't release your tax returns until you do release your tax returns) and how that was super "suspicious" and how his totally "suspicious" behavior (he released his tax returns on tax day by the way [coincidence?!?!], months prior to the first primary debate) was a self inflicted wound that led to this anti-semitism?

Can you stop suggesting that I'm defending or supporting politico's shitty dog whistle please? Or that Bernie's taxes are irrelevant to the topic?

I will give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you just misunderstood my post, but if not you may as well just call me an anti Semite. You're selectively quoting things you think support that and ignoring things that plainly state the opposite and I really don't appreciate the inference.

To be extremely clear to anyone reading this derailing spat who thinks that I somehow came up with the idea that Bernie was weird and evasive about releasing his taxes myself then there are literally dozens of articles discussing the exact same thing from allies and enemies alike for years.

The fact that he released them on tax day is irrelevant to the prior news cycle about it that has been discussed on and off since 2015. You may as well say he didn't reveal his age till his birthday. He had many opportunities to release his taxes prior to now and not only didn't, but was combative about it. I read about it in the news same as you and wondered why. In this thread I repeated my surprise that his taxes were fine and that he created a completely pointless drag on his message because his taxes are fine. And he's still one of the less wealthy senators.

SFhHDiC.png

His potential opponent in 2020 has made a giant issue out of not releasing his taxes. It's a real thing. Bernie could have ended that discussion in 2015 and didn't until 2019. Now he has.I had multiple conversations about the exact same issue in 2016 and at the time one theory was that his wife had healthcare investments that would have looked hypocritical. That wasn't true either.

I hope this is clear to you now. But I am extremely irritated at the inference and the refusal to acknowledge that Bernie had a campaign tax release issue before now. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills here.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
Weird how Bernie gets singled out for being rich. As if there aren't richer candidates running.

Deleted member 22490

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I hope this is clear to you now. But I am extremely irritated at the inference and the refusal to acknowledge that Bernie had a campaign tax release issue before now. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills here.
I believe that phanphare has acknowledged this before. It's just that it's weird that in a thread about anti-semitism, you start posting about his taxes.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can you stop suggesting that I'm defending or supporting politico's shitty dog whistle please? Or that Bernie's taxes are irrelevant to the topic?

I will give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you just misunderstood my post, but if not you may as well just call me an anti Semite. You're selectively quoting things you think support that and ignoring things that plainly state the opposite and I really don't appreciate the inference.

To be extremely clear to anyone reading this derailing spat who thinks that I somehow came up with the idea that Bernie was weird and evasive about releasing his taxes myself then there are literally dozens of articles discussing the exact same thing from allies and enemies alike for years.

The fact that he released them on tax day is irrelevant to the prior news cycle about it that has been discussed on and off since 2015. You may as well say he didn't reveal his age till his birthday. He had many opportunities to release his taxes prior to now and not only didn't, but was combative about it. I read about it in the news same as you and wondered why. In this thread I repeated my surprise that his taxes were fine and that he created a completely pointless drag on his message because his taxes are fine. And he's still one of the less wealthy senators.

SFhHDiC.png

His potential opponent in 2020 has made a giant issue out of not releasing his taxes. It's a real thing. Bernie could have ended that discussion in 2015 and didn't until 2019. Now he has.I had multiple conversations about the exact same issue in 2016 and at the time one theory was that his wife had healthcare investments that would have looked hypocritical. That wasn't true either.

you really don't get it, do you? and yeah you absolutely are leaning into this anti-semitic nonsense with your posts. you literally came into a thread about economic anti-semitism related to bernie and your entire first post was basically one long rant victim blaming him and attributing instances seen in the OP as a self inflicted wound caused by his "suspicious" (this word keeps going in quotes for a reason, by the way) behavior regarding his financial documents, never mind the fact that you're bringing up his "suspicious" behavior as a negative, self inflicted wound after the point where any reasonable suspicions would have been assuaged.

I hope you reread your posts and consider the context of the thread you posted them in as well as your own personal fixation on bernie's behavior surrounding his financial documents as being "suspicious" and why it continues to proliferate past the point of any reasonable suspicion. you've said some highly problematic things and I hope you can take the time to understand why and bring that understanding forward with you.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
So, is the argument that, because Bernie attained some level of wealth well beyond retirement age, he's a hypocrite for pointing out economic inequalities? Shouldn't the fact that it took him until age 77 to reach this modest level of wealth bolster his message?

Last edited:

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017

If you couldn't stop talking about Ilhan Omar's supposed anti-semitism but have nothing to say about a major political news outlet literally calling the foremost Jewish politician in the country "cheap," it's time to admit you just wanted to take down the Black Muslim lady.

đź‘€

Deleted member 22490

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

If you couldn't stop talking about Ilhan Omar's supposed anti-semitism but have nothing to say about a major political news outlet literally calling the foremost Jewish politician in the country "cheap," it's time to admit you just wanted to take down the Black Muslim lady.

đź‘€

I wonder when Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Schumer are going to do something with this. Shit, where's Chelsea Clinton at?

Oct 25, 2017

đź‘€

Lmfao, they'll never admit this. They're cowards.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, is the argument that, because Bernie attained some level of wealth well beyond retirement age, he's hypocrite for pointing out economical inequalities? Shouldn't the fact that it took him until age 77 to reach this modest level of wealth bolster his message?

Yes. And it's accompanied initially by a problematic headline, and imagery and even in the most generous framing possible- written and edited by multiple political journalism professionals who're exquisitely aware of both anti Semitic political climate, dog whistle language and nuanced and not so nuanced context- and yet it still got published and sat there until readers complained at which point they adjusted the phrasing but left the article as is - despite the fact it contains no new information or insight and serves only to reinforce a particular stereotype.

It's as I said earlier, like defending the circle game and Pepe as "harmless kid stuff and it's not my fault the nazis are using it" as if you had no alternative but to use them, despite realizing how it would look.

The article itself is either deliberately dog whistling or (generously speaking) accidentally dog whistling- but given that it has no other value as a piece of journalism, tweaking the headline kinda misses the point. Just delete it and own that you fucked up. It's just sitting there now like a shit in a swimming pool drawing attention to itself and marring the other 99.999% of the pool.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017

SFhHDiC.png

This has nothing to do with the issue at hand. The use of "cheap" by Politico plays off of the stereotype of Jewish people being miserly/stingy/parsimonious due to the historical context of some Jewish people being lenders/usurers, and Bernie not revealing his taxes has no bearing on others' use of them stereotyping him whatsoever.

This discussion really is not appropriate for this thread.

Oct 25, 2017
this is extremely shitty

and i am extremely tired of giving people who play the "plausible deniability" game when it comes to making bigoted dogwhistles

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
This is such bad faith, BS writing. He addresses his wealth whenever asked about it. He intends to pay the taxes he plans in his policy ideas just like everyone else in his income bracket.

Palantiri

Oct 25, 2017
Dear gods, a career politician well past the age most people want to retire at has managed to buy 3 houses and 'amass' almost $2 million?! Fuck I should hope that if the US dream means anything, then a person in his position would have at least that at his age.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Jesus this is clear anti-semitism from Politico, a tree made out of money... really?

Aurizen

Oct 25, 2017
Philly
I'm very confused about how the media comes after Bernie. They're hyping up his 2 million but their establishment has billions! they need to sit down and leave him alone. Bernie has the least money in Congress. Mitch Mcconnell has billions. Hillary, Obama, Biden, Kamala they're richer than Bernie. What is the bg deal?

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
The text is hella anti-Semitic but am I missing something with the imagery?

Edit: didnt see the second image

Last edited:

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

The money tree isn't inherently an anti-semitic imagery, but in combination with the whole "Jews are rich and miserly" narrative, it's certainly not a good look to say the least (especially considering that the wealth that Sanders has amassed isn't even remotely comparable to some other representatives who aren't getting the same kind of shit).

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
The money tree isn't inherently an anti-semitic imagery, but in combination with the whole "Jews are rich and miserly" narrative, it's certainly not a good look to say the least (especially considering that the wealth that Sanders has amassed isn't even remotely comparable to some other representatives who aren't getting the same kind of shit).
Yeah I edited because I only saw the one with houses.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017

Economic antisemitism is a form of antisemitism that consists of stereotypes and canards that are based on the economic status, occupations or economic behavior of Jews. It also includes economic behavior and laws as well as governmental policies that target the economic status, occupations or behavior of Jews.

In some cases, stereotypes and canards have motivated economic behavior and governmental actions that targeted Jews. In other cases, economic behavior, laws and/or governmental policies have fed the propagation of those stereotypes and canards.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economic_antisemitism

The stereotypes of Jewish people and Finance is well established at this point.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
I don't understand how attacking his wealth is effective at all. The guy's 77 years old, been a national level politician for years, in a position to rake in hundreds of thousands of dollars a year in speaking fees if he wanted to but don't, yet his wealth only amounts to $2 million. He have peers in congress that has wealth well over ten times his own and are decades younger.

If it takes you until you're 77 years old to amass a wealth of $2 million, doesn't that just make Bernie's argument about wealth inequality stronger, not weaker?

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand how attacking his wealth is effective at all. The guy's 77 years old, been a national level politician for years, in a position to rake in hundreds of thousands of dollars a year in speaking fees if he wanted to but don't, yet his wealth only amounts to $2 million. He have peers in congress that has wealth well over ten times his own and are decades younger.

If it takes you until you're 77 years old to amass a wealth of $2 million, doesn't that just make Bernie's argument about wealth inequality stronger, not weaker?
And he didn't accumulate most of it until he had a multimillion selling book.

Deleted member 28076

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, this confuses me about the Mister Gotcha attacks on Bernie too. What's the average net worth of a congressman? Because sub-$2 mil seems pretty low for that career.
If anyone's interested I just went ahead and looked this up myself, because I am impatient and have a poor attention span. Sanders is the 423rd-richest congressperson between both the House and Senate. In terms of the Senate, he is the twelfth-poorest. Gillibrand, Harris, Klobuchar, and Booker are all wealthier than him, and Warren is currently the richest congressperson running for the Democratic presidential nomination. https://www.rollcall.com/wealth-of-congress

This study was conducted for the 116th congress sworn in in 2017, the 117th which was sworn in in 2019 is still being researched.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
If anyone's interested I just went ahead and looked this up myself, because I am impatient and have a poor attention span. Sanders is the 423rd-richest congressperson between both the House and Senate. In terms of the Senate, he is the twelfth-poorest. Gillibrand, Harris, Klobuchar, and Booker are all wealthier than him, and Warren is currently the richest senator running for the Democratic presidential nomination. https://www.rollcall.com/wealth-of-congress
Lmao

Deleted member 16657

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

đź‘€

(((Bernard Sanders)))

No idea why but this combination of posts made me bust a gut laughing