• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
It is difficult to get people excited to continue voting in a broken system for a slow and painful death because it seems that is the best we can offer. We can slow down the rate at which we slide into a neo-fasc theocracy. That'll get 'em for sure.

I vote, I tell people to vote, I donate to campaigns all around the country as well as to causes that directly impact me locally (such as Mark Elias suing FL for gerrymandering and removing two predominantly Black districts) but I sure as fuck can sympathize with people who feel completely abandoned by a broken system and can't see how voting is working for them. Activists before us worked really hard and many gave their lives to give us the freedoms we have today. And yet here we are seeing them dismantled before us.

Republicans have been attacking this for 40 years and this inevitability comes at no surprise to anyone paying any attention at all, and the light at the end of the tunnel grows dimmer as we see challenges against Obergefell and public education on the horizon.

Last edited:

Plover

Oct 27, 2017
That's fair.

I feel that those who solely just vote are also a bit hypocritical. If these rights are so important, which they are, people would be working as much as they can to help those in need now and voting. It's privilege to be able to forget about an issue until an election comes up.
That is also fair. Voting is ideally just one part of making a difference.

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
The problem isn't voter apathy it's Democratic leadership apathy. Republicans have a plan, they have an ideology while Democrats don't seem to have much of either beyond neoliberalism. At best, Democrats kick the can down the road for the problem to be dealt with later. Democrats will not win every election, they need to leverage their power when they have it.

Dodongo

Oct 25, 2017
Someone who encourages voting, even if they do nothing else, is way more helpful than someone just doomer shitposting. Every little piece helps. Twitter is awash with apathy, and most of the doomers don't post about donations either. Those people do nothing but help republicans. That's what I mean.
You're absolutely right. The only reason we're even in this mess is because fewer than half of young voters showed up in 2016, even though we all knew women's rights were on the line. We knew LGBT rights were on the line.

Doomposting doesn't accomplish a goddamn thing, and it actively foments the apathy that gets Republicans elected. I have zero respect for those who are still wasting time blaming Dems instead of organizing to oppose Republicans.

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
The problem isn't voter apathy it's Democratic leadership apathy. Republicans have a plan, they have an ideology while Democrats don't seem to have much of either beyond neoliberalism. At best, Democrats kick the can down the road for the problem to be dealt with later. Democrats will not win every election, they need to leverage their power when they have it.
Voter apathy ensures that Democrats rarely have majorities capable of enacting many legislative goals. It definitely is a problem, and has been a consistent one for decades.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Re the big umbrella.

You want to know the difference between Dems and Republicans on this?

Every Republican wants what their most extreme members do, like Greene and Gaetz, but Democrats are fighting tooth and nail against AOC and Bernie.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017

tbh it's always weird to see the folks say "republicans actually believe in things and have an ideology" when it all focuses on either "destroy things democrats have enacted like the affordable care act" or "destroy things that they believe democrats are doing, like critical race theory"

III-V

Oct 25, 2017

"We have to recognize that this decision will impact trans folks," she said. "Particularly trans men and nonbinary folks who need access to reproductive healthcare and abortion specifically."
Activists and supporters of the LGBTQ community say any decision to overturn Roe v. Wade could have significant consequences on vulnerable groups if privacy-related rights like access to contraception or gender-affirming care are threatened.
"The same tactics that we're seeing on the attacks of abortion care, are the same tactics we're seeing with gender-affirming care, and access to gender-affirming care, the attacks are on our health care providers, and then our vital body autonomy," Ojeda said.
"What we really need now is outrage, anger and action for those among our community who are about to see the most destructive attack on our civil rights in a generation," Oakley said. "And we need to fight back by showing up by being in the streets by protesting for ourselves and the LGBTQ-plus community, and in solidarity with other folks who are having critical civil rights protections stripped away."

Kerr is a Law professor at Cal
@BerkeleyLaw

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
tbh it's always weird to see the folks say "republicans actually believe in things and have an ideology" when it all focuses on either "destroy things democrats have enacted like the affordable care act" or "destroy things that they believe democrats are doing, like critical race theory"

When people say that, what they mean is they are working toward a specific goal, which is a White controlled Christian Fascist state. And that's what GOP leadership is built on. GOP voters are more of what you're saying, but that is built around the ideology that the leadership has been slowly implementing through the decades.

Democrats, at least as a whole, have no endgame from their leadership. Pockets have ideas, other pockets have other ideas, and so on and so forth.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
Democrats, at least as a whole, have no endgame from their leadership. Pockets have ideas, other pockets have other ideas, and so on and so forth.

kinda seems like an issue that arises when you have to represent everyone in a large country who isn't actively working to create a white christian fascist state (and even many who are doing that but find republicans personally distasteful)

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona GOP loves to openly associate with white nationalists, because they can do so without repercussions. And this guy is a nazi but if you listen, he tells you exactly where the party is headed.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
Ehh. This is just schrodinger's Republican. They're whatever vague BS we need them to be for the argument now. Very commonly I see on this forum people saying that republicans don't have a legislative agenda and they exist to spite Dems as their only real platform. 2016 we were all like, "Oh the Republican party is in its death throes and will pull itself apart over trump," and now they're tactical geniuses who've laid the groundwork for decades to pull off their 4D chess move.

americans, of all political stripes, really love to trot out fascist concepts like "our enemy is weak and effete yet also an overwhelmingly powerful, unstoppable force", you see it with the left talking about liberals, you see it with liberals talking about the left and the republicans, you see it with the right talking about the liberals/left (which they do not make distinction on). it's... not great!

Oct 29, 2017
You just proved mamaspaghetti's point though. If voting wasn't important they wouldn't trying to take it away from folks. I live in Georgia and Kemp tried his damndest to fuck all of us and make voting as hard as possible. So folks here showed up with water and chairs and we sat and waited like 8 fucking hours to vote last time. I can't tell you how many older folks were out there saying things like "He's not gon' take this from me!"

Both things (voting and helping out on the ground in your community) are important but I agree with the main point that voting is essential. If more people voted rather than staying home in 2016 then this thread wouldn't exist. The threat to roe wouldn't exist. The fucking he'll scape we've lived through from Trump's time in office wouldn't have happened. The backslide that's hurt the entire world wouldn't have happened. We're on the precipice of becoming a fascist led country. That wouldn't have happened if in 2015 more people voted. Full stop.

Bolded: Yep, straight up.

The amount of people who stayed home because of some apathy to the choices played a huge part in where we are today. Voting is SUPER fucking important, and anyone who says/thinks otherwise is 100%, inarguably wrong. I'm barely interested in holding a conversation with anyone who thinks "well actually, voting doesn't matter bec--" no, no. Shut the hell up. Vote. Curb your fake-wisdom and apathy for one fucking day.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
kinda seems like an issue that arises when you have to represent everyone in a large country who isn't actively working to create a white christian fascist state (and even many who are doing that but find republicans personally distasteful)

It is, but that is only part of the issue. The other part of the issue is you have a leadership who actively benefits from the status quo and won't be majorly impacted by a new status quo were their power is reduced or nulled entirely. It's a combination of things.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Ehh. This is just schrodinger's Republican. They're whatever vague BS we need them to be for the argument now. Very commonly I see on this forum people saying that republicans don't have a legislative agenda and they exist to spite Dems as their only real platform. 2016 we were all like, "Oh the Republican party is in its death throes and will pull itself apart over trump," and now they're tactical geniuses who've laid the groundwork for decades to pull off their 4D chess move.

You're confusing two different things. Having a legislative agenda does not mean they have no agenda. Their agenda is more about controlling the systems to make legislation largely unneeded, mostly in the sense of taking over the courts. People who were saying that in 2016 were native or ignorant. It was obvious for years what the GOP, and those that were funding them, were planning. Just because more people understand that now doesn't make that less true.

Kind of handwaving the GOP's obvious acceleration in fascism as just people making stuff up on the fly is pretty ignorant and dangerous, to be frank.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
americans, of all political stripes, really love to trot out fascist concepts like "our enemy is weak and effete yet also an overwhelmingly powerful, unstoppable force", you see it with the left talking about liberals, you see it with liberals talking about the left and the republicans, you see it with the right talking about the liberals/left (which they do not make distinction on). it's... not great!

Good Lord

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The GOP is the party of zealots. Reason, logic, science and so on don't mean shit to them and are treated as threats or bullshit. They're a cult that doesn't care if we die, or even they die in the process. Even in their "death throes" they'd try and drag everyone into the grave with them.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Visiting Prof. @Georgetown
- 20th-Century History of Democracy and Its Discontents - Contributing Opinion Writer @GuardianUS
- Co-Host @KreuzundFlagge Podcast

Edit: the GOP of 2016 (pre-trump) effectively did die, we only see the remnants of that left today. The New GOP is the America First Movement, its basically as if the Tea Party had edged out the rank and file but they didn't. Trump was able to do this like a mob boss in a way that was exceedingly effective in crowning himself as king and the MAGA movement as the party platform.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Arizona GOP loves to openly associate with white nationalists, because they can do so without repercussions. And this guy is a nazi but if you listen, he tells you exactly where the party is headed.

Yeah, it's pretty incredible, and very suspect, to see people handwaving away the GOP's obvious fascist bend or that this is something that hasn't been happening slowly over decades. Definitely giving some real weird vibes right now

III-V

Oct 25, 2017

edit: I thought this was horrific enough to make a new thread about in etcetera

Last edited:

Rampage

Oct 27, 2017
Metro Detriot
Destroying thing is the tactic that are using to get the ideological goal. Scorch earth tactics appeal to allot of people because it produce the NOW result people crave. I get people to the polls. Hate is a powerful motivator.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
The time to vote was actual in 2016 when the future of the Supreme Court was on a knifes edge. That would have been the "NOW" moment to protect abortion rights.

The problem is people want thing fixed NOW, but the system has always been slow, plodding, and takes years for votes to show results. The conservative are getting everything they want because they choose vote for the long game. Their moment has been building for decades, they understand how the system.

NOW voters are losing simple because they don't take the time to understand how law making works. Their desire for instant gratification is what is stripping them of rights. They are detached from reality of how the system work, and the refuse to participate in it because it doesn't match their idea system.

Democracy is a pool we all vote to be able to use. If you can't bother to vote during the upkeep phases to keep the pool open while your not using it, the other side will build fence. "Well, I can 't swim now, so what is the point of voting?

You can't swim now because you didn't vote. They way to open the pool is to vote. But now it make take 2 generation for your grand kids to swim because you did bother to protect the pool for them.

I was born year before I gained the right to a medical abortion. I voted to keep it, but not enough people chose to defend it, Now, I like will be of natural cause before it is restored because that is how long it will take to undo what took the conservative decades to achieve.
Yup. With who the opposition is, we have to show up every time even if we aren't going to get what we want every time. Republicans do, they showed up for 50 years of promises of repealing roe and didn't stop when they didn't get what they wanted the first time it failed. They kept showing up. The left doesn't do that and we ultimately failed to show up in 2016 and that's why we're having this conversation.
2018 still had Trump as president, so turning out that year just slowed the bleeding artery.
2020 was a last-chance election, to prevent us from dying on the bed.

We need to have voted the shit out of 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2021.

We need to vote the shit out of every year from 2023-end of America. Yes, every year - lots of local election in off years that matter too. If there's no election that year then fine, but if you want change you can't show up twice and think that's enough. You have to show up EVERY time. Local elections, primaries, special elections, and the big ticket ones.
Exactly. Democracy in a lot of ways is like a garden. You have to tend to it constantly or it becomes overgrown with weeds and other things that will destroy everything you worked for. You can't look at it and do something twice a year and expect everything to be fine. That's not how it works.
This is also true. As I mentioned earlier, democratic leadership doesn't seem to understand who they're actually dealing with in regards to their political opponents. And to the point that Artdayne is making, I think a lot of democratic leadership plays not to lose rather than to playing to win. And though those things might sound like they're the same thing, they are definitely not.
Bolded: Yep, straight up.

The amount of people who stayed home because of some apathy to the choices played a huge part in where we are today. Voting is SUPER fucking important, and anyone who says/thinks otherwise is 100%, inarguably wrong. I'm barely interested in holding a conversation with anyone who thinks "well actually, voting doesn't matter bec--" no, no. Shut the hell up. Vote. Curb your fake-wisdom and apathy for one fucking day.
Man, I post 99% of the time from mobile and now I need to go back and fix that post after seeing all those damn typos. Lol

And of course I agree with everything you said. You HAVE to vote and you have to do the other things, especially when we know who the opponents are and what they want to do to us and everybody else.

A huge part of what we're dealing with in regards to our political system being broken has also come about because politicians AND the electorate are completely unwilling to compromise. Life doesn't work like that. You HAVE to compromise. And we saw this happen SPECIFICALLY ON THE LEFT where people will not show up if the candidate isn't going to do 100% of what they want 100% of the time. Republicans do NOT do this. They show up anyway and just keep chipping away even if they don't get what they want every time. They don't stay home. And I'm sorry but this website is a place that pulls this kind of shit constantly. I've seen so many posts here about how Biden and trump are basically the same and I cannot fucking FATHOM how anyone can say that with a straight face. There are plenty of things Biden has done in his past and things he's done now (shit with student loans) that piss me the fuck off. But if my choice is between him and the Christian Taliban lead by Donald fucking Trump, I'm voting Biden and doing what I can to promote change where I can both locally and nationally. At least Biden can be reasoned with. Y'all-qaeda can't be reasoned with and under Trump they caged children, let Covid rampage through the country, radicalized a third of our population, and tried to over throw the government. How could ANYONE say those two things are the same?

They aren't the same. Not fucking remotely.

Last edited:

MechaMarmaset

Nov 20, 2017
You're confusing two different things. Having a legislative agenda does not mean they have no agenda. Their agenda is more about controlling the systems to make legislation largely unneeded, mostly in the sense of taking over the courts. People who were saying that in 2016 were native or ignorant. It was obvious for years what the GOP, and those that were funding them, were planning. Just because more people understand that now doesn't make that less true.

Kind of handwaving the GOP's obvious acceleration in fascism as just people making stuff up on the fly is pretty ignorant and dangerous, to be frank.

I didn't mean to come off as hand waving it. There was a larger point that I was trying to make but I didn't spit out in text properly, so I'm dropping the post.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017

america is a fascist country, its people raised on a steady diet of fascist propaganda, it should not be surprising that fascist rhetoric (such as "our enemies are both powerful and weak", a core tenant of fascism as described by umberto) enters into folks's vocabularies, even the ones who do not support fascism

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
You already know that 60 dems or a majority doesn't mean they have the votes to get things passed. Trump had a majority and couldn't get everything he wanted passed either.

So with that said I think we should focus on something that the majority of democrats don't seem to get and I keep seeing this happen over and over. These older dems in Congress all behave as if their "friends" across the aisle are being performative. They shouldn't be doing this. The right isn't being performative at this point. The biggest mistake that dems and, well, everyone is making, is they misunderstand that the difference between the old breed of republicans and the new breed. Kevin McCarthy for example, was running his mouth and didn't believe half of what he said when he would say shit. Ted Cruz is the same way. It's performative. They're the old breed republicans who think that they have to perform to get votes. MTG, that dumb chicken head from Colorado, Paul Gosar, Madison Cauthen, and Trump, are true believers. They BELIEVE this shit to their core. What performative members of the Republican Party don't get is that their base and their voters believe the performances are real, like someone believing pro wrestling is real. So when republicans have been screaming for decades that they will repeal roe, they ended up with 3 justices that would do it because of a president that is a true believer of internet conspiracies.

Democrats haven't caught up. They aren't playing against people with similar agendas but who have different views on tax policies. They're fighting against people who are full on crazy and who tried to overthrow the government. The right has become America's Taliban. And dems still don't get it and they still don't act accordingly.
This seems to be what a lot of Democrat voters are missing. Issues like Roe aren't just "red meat" to the right; they're life and death, heaven and hell issues. They aren't just things they'd like to have like lower taxes or nicer police; they are things that they *believe* must change *in order to save the country from itself* and they will make any sacrifice to force a course correction. The clarion call -- heard from homes to pulpits -- has been deafening to those with an ear to hear. Left is the way to anarchy, Sodom, God's vengeance, pillars of salt. Right is the path to saving lost and future generations from Satan's influence. In effect, the result of the decades of packaging and messaging is that the Right simply wants it more than the Left collectively, organizationally.

This has been a tug of war and the Right have been pulling like they were part of Squid Game using leverage and superior strategy to overcome their lack of numbers. And so despite being fewer in number...here we are being pulled into a pit of spikes. Because a numbers advantage don't mean shit if it's not organized and focused to a task. And rare are the moments when the Left is focused. It's a beautiful sight it is when it happens (the summer of BLM as the most recent example), but it sure is rare. Until we want rights for women and all of our various minority groups and fixes for so many of the nation's inequities and inequalities as much as the Right has wanted Roe, we will continue to be the ones pulled into the pit of spikes.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
It's a beautiful sight it is when it happens (the summer of BLM as the most recent example), but it sure is rare. Until we want rights for women and all of our various minority groups and fixes for so many of the nation's inequities and inequalities as much as the Right has wanted Roe, we will continue to be the ones pulled into the pit of spikes.

Even when the Left is organized, what did it lead to? This is one reason why there is voter apathy, which isn't a good thing, of course. We had massive protests that the country hasn't seen before/in decades and what did we get? More police funding? A handful of "accountability" laws?

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
sorry I had to cross post this

I want to see a lot more ads about this, and I want them to go beyond abortion. They need to cover every right that is now under threat. The Democratic base needs to be ALOT more frightened than it is right now. We quite literally can't allow another midterm to go by where the American left sleeps.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
I want to see a lot more ads about this, and I want them to go beyond abortion. They need to cover every right that is now under threat. The Democratic base needs to be ALOT more frightened than it is right now. We quite literally can't allow another midterm to go by where the American left sleeps.
I agree 100%, I have no idea why it still feels as if we are asleep at the wheel.

Drek

Oct 27, 2017
I agree 100%, I have no idea why it still feels as if we are asleep at the wheel.
Because establishment Dems don't want to ruffle the feathers of their friends in the traditional establishment GOP, and are more focused on not losing control of the Dem party to progressives than keeping fascists from taking over the entire gov't.

Tya

Oct 30, 2017
america is a fascist country, its people raised on a steady diet of fascist propaganda, it should not be surprising that fascist rhetoric (such as "our enemies are both powerful and weak", a core tenant of fascism as described by umberto) enters into folks's vocabularies, even the ones who do not support fascism

If the US was already a fascist country, none of the rights the republicans want to take away would exist in the first place. Your post makes no sense.

Deleted member 4614

Oct 25, 2017

🙄 America's social and democratic protections have increased significantly since we were fighting literal fascists in the 40s. Words have meaning.

Oct 25, 2017
I can't even begin to express how horrifying this is and how devastated I am.

My husband and I have zero chance of conceiving without assistance. We went through a year of IVF to get pregnant (which I guess in some states would be a criminal act). Earlier this year, at my 9 week OB appointment we learned the pregnancy ended in a miscarriage. I had an abortion the next morning because I couldn't bear the thought of continuing to carry the fetus/passing it at home. I had a great care team but the procedure was traumatizing. The IVF process was so difficult and it, combined with the miscarriage, completely fucked over my mental health and I spent a few months feeling suicidal. I cannot even imagine what would have happened if I didn't have the choice to have a D&C after the miscarriage.

We live in North Carolina and are strongly considering relocating to New England, as we're planning on adopting children from foster care. Republicans need to flip just 5 seats here in order to have a super majority that can override Gov. Cooper's veto power and that's absolutely terrifying.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK

Exactly. This is most visible in the Democratic Leadership's response to this seismic catastrophe being: Vote!

Rampage

Oct 27, 2017
Metro Detriot
Even when the Left is organized, what did it lead to? This is one reason why there is voter apathy, which isn't a good thing, of course. We had massive protests that the country hasn't seen before/in decades and what did we get? More police funding? A handful of "accountability" laws?

Change happened. It suck is small and incremental. But change did happen. What do people want, a gold star for their efforts? 50% of the population is on the brink of losing their body autonomy, "but what did WE get".

It is simple- NOTHING. A couple of marches does not get change. Constant pressure from march, from holding offices/position, from voting is what get change.

The Republican understand this- it not a mystical formula. They fought long and hard over decade to be where they are at the moment.

Liberals, progressive, and democrats just simple refuse to what is need. They would rather complain then participate. The simplest thing everyone need to do is to vote. Yes, it is much harder in sin certain place than in others. But if people can't take the time to keep up on their registration, ID, and vote then we lost already. If you can't find time to do that, how do you expect people to tale time to organize, march, run for office, and win?

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
I can't even begin to express how horrifying this is and how devastated I am.

My husband and I have zero chance of conceiving without assistance. We went through a year of IVF to get pregnant (which I guess in some states would be a criminal act). Earlier this year, at my 9 week OB appointment we learned the pregnancy ended in a miscarriage. I had an abortion the next morning because I couldn't bear the thought of continuing to carry the fetus/passing it at home. I had a great care team but the procedure was traumatizing. The IVF process was so difficult and it, combined with the miscarriage, completely fucked over my mental health and I spent a few months feeling suicidal. I cannot even imagine what would have happened if I didn't have the choice to have a D&C after the miscarriage.

We live in North Carolina and are strongly considering relocating to New England, as we're planning on adopting children from foster care. Republicans need to flip just 5 seats here in order to have a super majority that can override Gov. Cooper's veto power and that's absolutely terrifying.
I am very sorry for your loss, I know this is very painful.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
Nah if voters weren't apathetic and letting republicans take government, it wouldn't have slid back. It's a continual war.

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
Nah if voters weren't apathetic and letting republicans take government, it wouldn't have slid back. It's a continual war.
I agree. And like always, it is easier to break things than build new ones. GOP also has the advantage of not needing to pitch new ideas or approaches, they just have to play on people's nostalgia for the "good ol days" and work to revert everything. It's much easier than 20 different ideas of approaches to progress that you have to educate people on and convince them it's viable.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
I agree. And like always, it is easier to break things than build new ones. GOP also has the advantage of not needing to pitch new ideas or approaches, they just have to play on people's nostalgia for the "good ol days" and work to revert everything. It's much easier than 20 different ideas of approaches to progress that you have to educate people on and convince them it's viable.
Yep especially since there's going to be infighting due to different groups wanting their priorities first inevitably always going to build some level of resentment which sadly builds apathy.