• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Firewithin

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Orange County
I'm not American so please excuse my ignorance/lack of knowledge with the laws and rules or opinions there but what's the big deal about letting people get abortions will if they want? Why is there a "movement" or whatever that is so against it? What's their reasoning for not allowing it? What does it impact so much that there needs to be an "against" for it in the first place?
because religion is a cancer and at this point its also just about owning the libs

syphonblue

Apr 29, 2022
I guess maybe the smarter ones realize that this might nerf their base. What are they gonna run on now that they don't have the roe v wade boogeyman?
Note: I'm sure they'll drum up a phantom migrant caravan again, but point still kind of stands. They need a new white whale and whatever they choose it's not going to bite as hard.
They've got LGBTQ teachers grooming students now

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks guys. Wow so it's basically religion that's been politicised? Like "we know all of you religious people are anti abortion and while we actually don't care either way, If you vote for us we will push your agenda all you need to do is…vote for us"?
Yes. The key thing to remember is that even relatively hardcore religious groups like the Southern Baptists until the 70s specifically said it's not up to the government to choose what people do with themselves bc it could lead to undue influence of the state on religion.

This is a recent tactic, formulated specifically to grab onto sentiment and not based in religious text

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
One of the things that has been wild to me is seeing the republican politicians not jumping for joy over this. It was the White Whale for decades, and they finally got it.

They need to keep their base outraged or they lose voters. The key to their success is keeping people afraid and angry of others.

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
They're not ignorant. They know they're lying. They know their base eats it up.

20070209-LUp4VMDr@2x.jpg
Fox News is nothing like that!
(their reporters would never leave the comfort of their studio)

CerealKi11a

Chicken Chaser
May 3, 2018
They have. It's why they are talking far more about the leak. It's to direct their base to be outraged that Liberal Justices would do this. Despite it, likely, being a Conservative who did.
Oh I agree, I was just thinking more long term. I don't think this "outrage" lasts longer than June once the final verdict comes out. They'll have to galvanize the base with something before the fall, and it will likely be just as evil and just as effective since GOP voters buy whatever is sold to them.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
Oh I agree, I was just thinking more long term. I don't think this "outrage" lasts longer than June once the final verdict comes out. They'll have to galvanize the base with something before the fall, and it will likely be just as evil and just as effective since GOP voters buy whatever is sold to them.

They have CRT and transphobia already. They'll likely go after gay marriage at SCOTUS soon.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019

"Keep voting for us. If Dems come back in power they'll start killing babies again."

Nov 2, 2017

Fuck you ABC. Nobody is "Pro-Abortion." It's "Pro-Choice." Get is right.

This is centrist pablum that you've swallowed whole. Plenty of people, myself included, are in fact pro-abortion. Abortion is a good thing, the retreat into the weasel language of "choice" just in hopes that some Diet Bigots might feel more comfortable in the movement is a large part of how we've got a Democratic Party that's spent 50 years doing lip service but completely failing to actually protect abortion rights.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not American so please excuse my ignorance/lack of knowledge with the laws and rules or opinions there but what's the big deal about letting people get abortions will if they want? Why is there a "movement" or whatever that is so against it? What's their reasoning for not allowing it? What does it impact so much that there needs to be an "against" for it in the first place?
www.theguardian.com

There’s a straight line from US racial segregation to the anti-abortion movement | Randall Balmer

Leaders of the religious right would have us believe that Roe v Wade mobilized apolitical Christians. The real story is very different

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
Ah yes, "don't bully the majority court" that is bullying the majority population.

This was decided basically 50 years ago, a generation that accepts and understands it's importance by majority.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

One of the main reasons is Conservative men want to control women, their bodies, and their rights. Religion is the excuse, but in their heart of hearts a lot of these dudes couldn't give less of a fuck about Jesus or whatever. The Bible also doesn't say shit about abortions. It's why most anti-choice legislation is drafted entirely by groups of men without any involvement from women at all.

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
Sure would be nice if justices stepped down before dying and having their life's fucking working undone in a years time

CerealKi11a

Chicken Chaser
May 3, 2018
"Keep voting for us. If Dems come back in power they'll start killing babies again."
It's the same thing they use for guns, but is it really going to be as effective? I feel like people are way less motivated about what could happen compared to what has happened. More importantly I hope this motivates liberals who would stay home otherwise to vote since they're the ones with motivation issues.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
just triple checked to make sure i would be getting my ballot in the mail in a few months

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
I don't like having to resort to using fear to motivate people the way the right does it, but I wish more people were talking about how this will essentially pave the way for the government/state to dictate what can be done with anyone's bodies, INCLUDING MEN.

The majority of men that are potentially out there cheering this on are completely unaware of the ramifications to bodily autonomy for everyone. This is not just about women and abortions specifically. I'd like to think that this could motivate centrists but I mean what does?

FulcrumTK

Oct 6, 2020
Seeing that stupid post keep getting quoted is getting me heated, so I think I'm just gonna boil my thoughts down to two points.

1. This, among other travesties, occurred with democrats in power. Women, people of color, and queer people have every right to be angry with democrats for continuing to fail them.

2. Voting is necessary, but voting by itself isn't enough.

Ablacious

Dec 23, 2018
If the leak wasn't from the gop, it's a big gift at least. It gets the 4 week attention span away from midterms. And as someone else said when the ruling is actually announced, it'll increase Dem apathy on 'why nothing was done if they're in power' which is the political-intelligence of a huge chunk of the electorate.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Seeing that stupid post keep getting quoted is getting me heated, so I think I'm just gonna boil my thoughts down to two points.

1. This, among other travesties, occurred with democrats in power. Women, people of color, and queer people have every right to be angry with democrats for continuing to fail them.

2. Voting is necessary, but voting by itself isn't enough.
This is a judicial decision, not a legislative or executive one, and Democrats definitely don't have any power over the SCotUS.

Also, this mess has a number of causes, but the biggest one (conservative super majority on the SCotUS) would have 100% been avoided through voting in 2016.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
This is a judicial decision, not a legislative or executive one, and Democrats definitely don't have any power over the SCotUS.

Also, this mess has a number of causes, but the biggest one (conservative super majority on the SCotUS) would have 100% been avoided through voting in 2016.

They do have power over SCOTUS but two of them, explicitly, won't let them exercise that power.

etrain911

Oct 27, 2017

Or RBG not being hubristic and retiring under Obama when she had the chance.

Edit:
The SCOTUS was delegitimized back in 2000 when they gave the presidency to Bush. It is a joke to think they ever held any legitimacy.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
They do have power over SCOTUS but two of them, explicitly, won't let them exercise that power.
No? Unless you're talking about court packing which isn't a real solution. Not only would the Court just get packed each time the PotUS change parties, it would immediately delegitimize the SCotUS (meaning states like Mississippi wouldn't have to follow Roe anyway).

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
If the leak wasn't from the gop, it's a big gift at least. It gets the 4 week attention span away from midterms. And as someone else said when the ruling is actually announced, it'll increase Dem apathy on 'why nothing was done if they're in power' which is the political-intelligence of a huge chunk of the electorate.
Could more have been done? Was this ruling foreseeable/measures possible to put in place?

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
No? Unless you're talking about court packing which isn't a real solution. Not only would the Court just get packed each time the PotUS change parties, it would immediately delegitimize the SCotUS (meaning states like Mississippi wouldn't have to follow Roe anyway).

They can Court pack, they can change how SCOTUS functions in general, etc. The Constitution only specifies that it must exist. Congress decides how it works.

It's already being delegitimized from this leak. It already means it's hostile and unstable.

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
People going on about the sanctity of scotus are missing the forest for the trees. It's already delegitimized.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Can you explain to me how the court is legitimate now? Three hyper partisan judges were just placed by a president and senate that do not represent the majority of voters, and they did it by ignoring established norms.

Can you also explain to me how "the parties placing more judges each time they get elected" is worse than the status quo now of not getting anything done until a couple of people die and a party gets lucky enough that it happened while they held the senate? We will likely never see a 60 seat senate again and if we do, it will be a Conservative one. You cool with that?

Also I would like to know how court packing is illegitimate when the process is allowed by the law as we understand it.