• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
The deck was stacked against them by the establishment. Bernie and Liz both had a real shot but the system collapsed when Clyburn forced the moderates hand to consolidate with Amy and Pete bowing out to force the majority to Biden.
But would the deck really be more favorable for them in the open field? With republicans flinging shut at them as real opponents? Idk

Oct 25, 2017
The deck was stacked against them by the establishment. Bernie and Liz both had a real shot but the system collapsed when Clyburn forced the moderates hand to consolidate with Amy and Pete bowing out to force the majority to Biden.

Retcon conspiracy nonsense. Biden led by double digits throughout 2019 and people that understood how primaries work were beating the "Biden's early schedule really sucks" drum for months. You don't need a conspiracy to explain why a woman drops out before coming in 6th on Super Tuesday and losing her home state as a nice memorable mark of shame.

Veezy

Oct 27, 2017
This is straight-up awful. I'm not American, so I legitimately didn't know abortion laws were in such a fragile state at a federal level. I always just assumed that certain states were problematic themselves.
To be a bit clearer, even Casey (the other decision this opinion would impact) is bullshit. Determining what was an "undue burden" is a fine line. Is setting a term limit an undue burden (even though 3rd trimester abortions are already illegal unless the life of the mother is at state)? Are enacting a law that says an abortion clinic within X number of meters within a school cannot operate an undue burden? Is requiring the pregnant person to have an ultrasound before the operation or have a waiting period an undue burden? Et Cetera.

Alito's opinion is, while stripping away abortion, also a statement on privacy, individual medical decisions as a whole, and bodily autonomy. While I would, obviously, like this decision to not come to pass, I'm not hopeful.

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Shoulda been president.

But we needed someone who could reach across the aisle!

No offense, but if Liz couldn't win amongst her own peers as a Democrat I really don't think she would have been able to move much on a national scale.

Biden has a 42% approval rating. What are we clinging on to? He hasn't moved anything on a national scale. At least Warren would have give inspirational speeches and used Executive Orders for good. Biden is a complete and total dud, at best.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
There is no question that she gets it but Liz, like the rest of good ones, doesn't have the ability to persuade other senators to vote for her position. None of them do and that's a problem.

Honestly I don't know what the solution is. Congressmen get to just do whatever they want, immune to the damage they're doing to the people around them. These votes never really seem to give them the kind of existential dread they give the common population.

I really don't think this battle is winnable with decorum any longer, when half of Congress can't even agree on a baseline standard of governance and the other half just wants to kill governance entirely and watch everyone else suffer from a safe distance, immune to any of the pain they're causing.

It really feels like the only way to actually fix things is to make their lives as miserable as they want to make everyone else's.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Warren isn't the only one who gets it.

Sanders isn't the only one who gets it.

Black Democrats have been screaming about these very issues for decades.

I'm not just saying this because I'm Black. I'm saying this because it's relevant.

UF_C

Oct 25, 2017

Meanwhile Pelosi and Clyburn are poised to still help anti abortion Dem Henry Cueller in his primary against a progressive leftist.

Quick question. Does a liberal dem stand a chance in the general or will a more conservative Democrat have a better chance?

That's the political calculus, as heartless at it is.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
There is no question that she gets it but Liz, like the rest of good ones, doesn't have the ability to persuade other senators to vote for her position. None of them do and that's a problem.
As opposed to..? Biden was the amazing consensus builder. He said the maga fever will break after he is elected and he will be able to persuade everybody. Man can't even convince his own party to vote for his agenda.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
The question of who the leaker was is an interesting one, but people assume that was leaked from someone inside the court system. I think it may have been leaked from outside, as in a discovery within a security breach.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I don't know what the solution is. Congressmen get to just do whatever they want, immune to the damage they're doing to the people around them. These votes never really seem to give them the kind of existential dread they give the common population.

I really don't think this battle is winnable with decorum any longer, when half of Congress can't even agree on a baseline standard of governance and the other half just wants to kill governance entirely and watch everyone else suffer from a safe distance, immune to any of the pain they're causing.

It really feels like the only way to actually fix things is to make their lives as miserable as they want to make everyone else's.
It was never really about decorum was it? The Rs had plans. The Ds has reactions or plans that wouldn't counter the Rs general strategy

May 26, 2018

Meanwhile Pelosi and Clyburn are poised to still help anti abortion Dem Henry Cueller in his primary against a progressive leftist.

After that bullshit "how dare they" letter from her and Schumer, here's how they really feel. Maintaining old political power, compassion-free.

They're not agents of adaptation or change. They're dry leaves.

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't fucking matter who the Democratic candidate was in 2020. It could've been Bernie, Liz, fuckin Yang....the result would've been the same.

The chance to stop this was in 2016.

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
Quick question. Does a liberal dem stand a chance in the general or will a more conservative Democrat have a better chance?

Yup, what's the point of bringing this up? Do they actually think Pelosi is against abortion or is it more likely she wants to try to hold the house majority?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It was never really about decorum was it? The Rs had plans. The Ds has reactions or plans that wouldn't counter the Rs general strategy

My point is that as long as Congress gets to be immune to any of the pain they cause the general populace with the kinds of votes, they don't have to care who they hurt. If abortion gets banned federally, a Republican senator who gets his aide pregnant in a secret affair will still be able to get her an abortion behind closed doors and won't be prosecuted for doing so even if it leaks. And we wind up paying for it with taxpayer money too, because our federal taxes fund the Congressional health plan.

Realistically, until Congress starts to feel the same pain they inflict on the general populace on a daily basis, they will always be able to sleep at night after voting away our rights. They need to suffer just like we do.

Deleted member 3896

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't fucking matter who the Democratic candidate was in 2020. It could've been Bernie, Liz, fuckin Yang....the result would've been the same.

The chance to stop this was in 2016.
Depressingly true. I will never, ever, ever, ever forgive anyone who sat that one out, voted for Trump or voted third party. Fucking scum.

UF_C

Oct 25, 2017
How many progressives and pro choice votes will be lost? Supporting this candidate will ripple across elections. It's bad politics.
I disagree. The most important vote any elected makes is their vote for speaker of the house or majority leader of the senate. In some sense, it's the only vote that many of them will make their entire career that matters. Leadership sets the agenda, sets committee assignments, and everything else. The vote for Speaker is all that matters because the rest of the agenda is simply pro forma off that single most important vote.

etrain911

Oct 27, 2017
Yup, what's the point of bringing this up? Do they actually think Pelosi is against abortion or is it more likely she wants to try to hold the house majority?
How dare people bring up that Pelosi is circling the wagons on an anti abortion candidate the day that Roe v Wade is revealed to likely be overturned? Don't they understand political calculus or something?

Zyae

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Mar 17, 2020

the progressive wont win, an anti choice dem is better than a republican, its not really hard to understand.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas

That area of Texas is rapidly gravitating towards the GOP. Big anti-abortion religion fueled streak in conservative Hispanic areas like that.

He also votes with House Dems anywhere from 88%-97% of the time. He's annoying on some of his conservative stances but not every House district is built for a progressive Dem.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Realistically, until Congress starts to feel the same pain they inflict on the general populace on a daily basis, they will always be able to sleep at night after voting away our rights. They need to suffer just like we do.
I mean, it's worth a shot, but I don't know how long something like that can go on for before they draw up harsher anti protest laws or something

III-V

Oct 25, 2017

I'm not just saying this because I'm Black. I'm saying this because it's relevant.
Absolutely, and I wish I could vote for every Black democrat out there because I would. White America has failed America and will continue to do so as long as we are unable to confront the sins of the father.

This sentiment is evergreen:

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
How many progressives and pro choice votes will be lost? Supporting this candidate will ripple across elections. It's bad politics.

Texas (Laredo, not Houston) is neither progressive nor pro-choice. On abortion they poll more right of the average red state.

by223ewu-u2hd7rrphh6da.png

May 26, 2018
Perhaps, but what I meant was that Dems could be as indecorous as the Rs, but if they still did not have the long term goal orientation to combat the Rs that also would not have mattered

System ain't set up for progressives to govern like conservatives do. Deep down at this country's heart is slavery and genocide and rape. It's always beating hard, transporting blood through the body no matter how you pretty it up.

etrain911

Oct 27, 2017
That area of Texas is rapidly gravitating towards the GOP. Big anti-abortion religion fueled streak in conservative Hispanic areas like that.

He also votes with House Dems anywhere from 88%-97% of the time. He's annoying on some of his conservative stances but not every House district is built for a progressive Dem.

This candidate has literally been raided by the FBI idk how anyone views him as a safe bet.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
But we needed someone who could reach across the aisle!

Biden has a 42% approval rating. What are we clinging on to? He hasn't moved anything on a national scale. At least Warren would have give inspirational speeches and used Executive Orders for good. Biden is a complete and total dud, at best.
And yet she still lost the primary. Are you suggesting that approval ratings matter more than actual electoral results?

Oct 25, 2017
Racoon City

But they're white so people will actually listen. When we scream these things we're just being dramatic and pulling cards and other stuff they say. A tale as old as the country itself.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA

Yeah Liz's level of outrage is what we should be expecting out of everyone at a bare minimum, but minority politicians and activists in local, state and federal levels have been just as pissed about this for decades they're just not allowed to show it or they're never taken seriously when they do

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It took awhile for the Republicans to become full-blown fascists, but they got there by moving slowly to the right and by having a (mostly) united voice and direction. Democrats have to adopt a similar policy. Keep moving to the left and espouse the brilliance of a more progressive society. A centrist will never get anything done so getting them elected is a short-term bandaid instead of a real solution.

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
Repeatedly seeing the theory around twitter that this was leaked by someone connected to Alito and it does actually make sense. You release some early draft that will have the left on fire for a few months saying that the decision is ultra-radical (which it is) and at the last moment when the actual opinion is released in June/July it is "only" the watered down 15 week ban. Then the Fox News crowd get to go back to their "see, the libs were hysterical again, this isn't an extreme decision" shtick.

They know how horrendous is would look to have the conservative Chief Justice joining the liberals in dissent. So by going instead to the 15 week ban they can get him onboard for the better optics.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
Texas (Laredo, not Houston) is neither progressive nor pro-choice. On abortion they poll more right of the average red state.

by223ewu-u2hd7rrphh6da.png

Part of the district includes places in the RGV and parts of San Antonio. It's why Ciscernos almost beat Cuellar last time. With the FBI raid? She may beat him.

Even that poll shows they don't want it to be illegal.

Iron_Maw

Banned
Nov 4, 2021

House Leadership always backs in incumbents. Peolsi is also supporting my rep Pressley, AOC and other progressives. Its not an either or. Random twitter post rarely give you the full story.

May 26, 2018
Repeatedly seeing the theory around twitter that this was leaked by someone connected to Alito and it does actually make sense. You release some early draft that will have the left on fire for a few months saying that the decision is ultra-radical (which it is) and at the last moment when the actual opinion is released in June/July it is "only" the watered down 15 week ban. Then the Fox News crowd get to go back to their "see, the libs were hysterical again, this isn't an extreme decision" shtick.

They know how horrendous is would look to have the conservative Chief Justice joining the liberals in dissent. So by going instead to the 15 week ban they can get him onboard for the better optics.

Thing is they don't have to play these games anymore. Their voter base consists of fascists. They can do it without concern. Go out, snap up as many dream goals as possible and dare anyone to resist.

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
How dare people bring up that Pelosi is circling the wagons on an anti abortion candidate the day that Roe v Wade is revealed to likely be overturned? Don't they understand political calculus or something?

It just shows how people don't understand the SCOTUS draft was a consequence of 2014/2016, and Cuellar has nothing to do with it. If supporting an anti-abortion Dem senate candidate meant winning and holding the senate majority in 2014, Merrick Garland would've been seated instead of Gorsuch.

LauraLaMer

Banned
Dec 5, 2021
The absolutely massive protests in France ended up with Melenchon a distant third and Macron with his negative approval rating winning a convincing second term against Le Pen. Of course the USA isn't France, but people overstimate how much of the population is legitimately progressive.

less

Oct 25, 2017
This candidate has literally been raided by the FBI idk how anyone views him as a safe bet.

It's a tough situation. They still need his damn vote in Congress especially with the margins being as small as they are. He's shitty and should go but no surprise that leadership is going to back their own member versus challengers. If he loses they'll back the winner equally hard.

But, wait until Republicans regain the house, senate, and presidency. The filibuster will be gone the moment Dems use it to stop something. And then voting rights will be so fucked that Dems can never gain control again.
McConnell has no interest in getting rid of the legislative filibuster. He knows its existence helps the GOP more. Hence why it was never abolished during Trump's time in office.