• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ripcord

Oct 30, 2017
There's only a circle firing squad because there's still a lot of leftists and liberals that think they can reconcile differences and team up to take down the Republicans. Internal accountability would be important for that reconciliation. It comes from a place of optimism and hope.

As far as, "It's gonna get ugly!" and, "it's gonna get violent!", it already is. We've been getting slaughtered in the streets and all the peaceful protests didn't amount to jack because our leaders are unwilling to lead us to where we need to go.

I also hate to fuck up the party, but we're past uprising territory. We're firmly into resistance at this point. Two very different things.

Oct 27, 2017
PIT
"Done nothing"? If anyone thinks voting has done nothing of note for Biden's presidency they're straight up not paying attention.

One of the biggest economic relief and stimulus packages in our history was passed because enough people voted for Biden and Georgian voters got us 2 Senate seats. This bill was huge and full of helpful things that will be paying off for years to come.

The first black woman Justice will be on the Supreme Court because enough people voted for Biden and denied Trump a second term and voters in Georgia did what was thought impossible and won 2 runoff Senate races in the same election.

Biden has been able to appoint the most lifetime Federal judges in the first two years of a Presidency since 1980 because enough people voted him in and Democratic voters in Georgia did what so many of the cynics said couldn't happen.

We had easy and free access nationwide to vaccines for covid because Biden was elected and not Trump.

Russia is getting their shit kicked in by Ukraine with tons of help from the US because Biden got elected and Putin's little stooge didn't. If Trump was re-elected because people sat it out then we're likely discussing how Russia is orchestrating their shadow government in Ukraine right now instead.

I could go on.

Now imagine none of this happens if just a small amount of voters in the country and in Georgia thought their vote couldn't make a difference and sat it out.

And the reason why more isn't getting done in Congress? It wasn't because voting didn't make a difference. It's because not enough Democrats were elected. Someone can't expect to get an entire agenda passed when they only have the absolute bare minimum of margin of power with a 50/50 Senate. If you want a chance at it all you need to increase those margins, and I know of one reliable way to do that.

Exactly.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Voting is slacktivism. Expecting the government to fix itself because a few people in it were switched out is foolish. Nothing will be fixed until politicians are forced to bear the burden of accountability, and that will never come from law.

Absolutely not. Voting is not slacktivism.

A retweet is slacktivism.

Attending a protest to get juicy content for your Insta is slacktivism.

Dunking on someone on an internet message board is slacktivism.

Engaging in your civic duty is not slacktivism. Like...wut?

People are confusing "slacktivism" with "bare minimum." Voting is the bare minimum, and nobody is suggesting that all you should do is vote then go back to bed.

Naiad

Aug 27, 2020
Exactly.

Every time there's a woman's march my feeds are full of conservative women telling liberal women to go home and take care of your family. Someone who was okay with the Jan 6 riot was complaining about the trash left next to a garbage can by protestors in 2017 women's march because "liberal women are disgusting pigs". Never mind that they were out protesting for HER rights.

An exboss of mine, southern baptist once said "women's rights are for the birds - it's unethical and destroys the American family". She also said that if her husband divorced her she would seriously considering killing herself because she didn't want to face her parents for the shame of failing in her duties.

And then you have the mass women voting for trump.

Just went outside last weekend to do some wedding shopping and saw a woman with a bedazzled shirt of Trump's face on her chest stating "You can grab these anytime!".

You can't help these women because ignorance has pushed them so far down the spectrum that they think sexual assault is a joking matter, but they'll be the first bootlickers to complain if that sexual assault came from anyone who isn't a white man.

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
I don't think Republicans will get rid of the filibuster. Their strategy is clearly pass as little legislation as possible federally and let the court tear everything down. The court has shown itself perfectly capable of destroying voting rights and is more than capable of looking the other way on election fraud. Removing the filibuster would theoretically allow Dems to actually pass legislation in the future if they were somehow allowed to take back congress.

It is mind blowing that the supreme court of the US was less conservative during the time period where segregation was the norm in much of the US than it is today.

It's currently being floated among themselves that they will remove the filibuster for a federal abortion ban.

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
Voting is slacktivism. Expecting the government to fix itself because a few people in it were switched out is foolish. Nothing will be fixed until politicians are forced to bear the burden of accountability, and that will never come from law.
Voting takes a few hours per year, so it's not mutually exclusive with literally any other form of activism.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Absolutely not. Voting is not slacktivism.

A retweet is slacktivism.

Attending a protest to get juicy content for your Insta is slacktivism.

Dunking on someone on an internet message board is slacktivism.

Engaging in your civic duty is not slacktivism. Like...wut?

People are confusing "slacktivism" with "bare minimum." Voting is the bare minimum, and nobody is suggesting that all you should do is vote then go back to bed.
well said

Sain

Nov 13, 2017
I dunno guys voting doesn't seem to be working.

Voting neutralized Trump from 2018-2020 and has enabled some positive, but not earthshattering, legislation and judicial appointments in the current cycle. It is the bare-minimum, most important thing that any people of good conscience can be doing once or twice per year. People not voting in 2016 and casting protest ballots has directly led to this particular moment.

JaseMath

Oct 27, 2017
Denver, CO
Thinking back to the brief period in the primary when she was leading most polls. It felt like there was real electricity behind her campaign. :(
I thought she was the best fit in 2020. Not as far left as Bernie but nowhere near as old school as Joe, but I understand that given Trump's politics, she wasn't in the best position to win. I wish she would try again.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017

The inability — or unwillingness — to think of women as rights-bearing people kicks in early in this draft decision, when Alito complains that, "far from bringing about a national settlement of the abortion issue," Roe "enflamed debate and deepened division." The unsubtle implication of this is that if anyone doesn't like women having rights, then well, that right just has to go.
Alito's tendency to imagine women as appliances instead of people is inescapable. He blithely dismisses the idea that forced childbirth is a burden on women, claiming medical costs are "covered by insurance or government assistance" and after the baby is born, all a woman must do is "drop off babies anonymously" and should have "little reason to fear that the baby will not find a suitable home."
And if women don't like it, he sneeringly writes, well, "[w]omen are not without electoral or political power," as they still retain their right to vote.

Iron_Maw

Banned
Nov 4, 2021
Liz is great, but she Biden, Bernie, Harris or any other dem presidental candidate would not change this situation. The problem isn't the presdiency with the Dems, its with two seilfish assholes who are barely aligned with their own party outside scant amonnt of issues and 50 other scum buckets in the senate.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Kamala feels almost absent from this discussion when she could really be at the forefront as a standard-bearer.

E_i

Oct 27, 2017
qpwbNhA.jpg

It's the entire mantra of the conservate movement.

JohnsonUT

Oct 27, 2017
It's currently being floated among themselves that they will remove the filibuster for a federal abortion ban.
For sure. In the same way that has been a growing strategy among Democratic Senators. Ultimately, you need to get 50 Republican Senators on board and buying into the strategy that banning abortion (as well as banning gay marriage, ending ACA, cutting SS and medicare, etc) is worth Dems being able to reverse the bills and implement universal health care, paid leave, increased minimum wage, green new deal, etc. That is the risk to a Republican leader. If they do nothing, the Supreme Court can do it for them albeit a little more slowly.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
No offense, but if Liz couldn't win amongst her own peers as a Democrat I really don't think she would have been able to move much on a national scale.

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
So, for all of the complaints about the Democrats appointing liberal justices who would make up for, "Activist," courts, the Republicans have now appointed far right conservative justices who have gone pretty far on the activist scale. Overturning a previous ruling is a fairly activist thing to do, IMO. It's somewhat extreme, and is very rare.

But, hey, if it fits their political agenda, then that kind of activism is OK, right?
That, and/or it's always projection with these assholes - they accuse the left of "activist judges" when they're the ones who appoint the extreme "activist" judges, only extreme towards themselves.

Hopefully this does have negative consequences at the polls come November. Maybe that Republican takeover is stalled. Maybe... ?

shem

Oct 25, 2017
See i'm more sympathetic to "the democrats should have done something" but like in 2000 when the supreme court literally stole an election. This was decades in the making but 2000 was the wakeup call. Instead every elected dem had their heads in their ass for 22 years.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
So, for all of the complaints about the Democrats appointing liberal justices who would make up for, "Activist," courts, the Republicans have now appointed far right conservative justices who have gone pretty far on the activist scale. Overturning a previous ruling is a fairly activist thing to do, IMO. It's somewhat extreme, and is very rare.

But, hey, if it fits their political agenda, then that kind of activism is OK, right?
That, and/or it's always projection with these assholes - they accuse the left of "activist judges" when they're the ones who appoint the extreme "activist" judges, only extreme towards themselves.

Hopefully this does have negative consequences at the polls come November. Maybe that Republican takeover is stalled. Maybe... ?

Republicans are master projectors. Every single thing they accuse Democrats of doing is EXACTLY what they want to do when they get power. They're such rotten-through cynics that they cannot perceive of an opposing force that isn't just them but a different color.

Oct 27, 2017
orly?

explain how my city, Houston, has more people living in it, than the entire state of Kentucky? yet the sr senator from kentucky got to block anything the dems passed before 2020 after they took the house in 2018?

I think it's pretty clear I meant there was no actual gerrymandering, in terms of moving lines around districts to manipulate results. Obviously the entire Senate is not proportional (by design) and is incredibly flawed.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
If you don't think by now that manchin and sinema are compromised you are delusional

There would need to be either blackmail and or bribery going on here

Both have voting records up until trump that suggest that they may have not made a hard time coming to an agreement to kill filibuster under certain circumstances for specific matters

It fucking stinks.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
You mean the Republicans are going to do the thing Democrats could have done in the past but didn't specifically because Democrats respect the system and Republicans do not?

Hmm.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
For all the (rightful) anger at Sinema and Manchin doing what we knew would do, has either Biden or Harris come out and said now is the time to strike down the filibuster? The only clip I saw was Biden saying no.

Dr. Feel Good

Oct 25, 2017
No offense, but if Liz couldn't win amongst her own peers as a Democrat I really don't think she would have been able to move much on a national scale.

The deck was stacked against them by the establishment. Bernie and Liz both had a real shot but the system collapsed when Clyburn forced the moderates hand to consolidate with Amy and Pete bowing out to force the majority to Biden.

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Telling others to vote lets people shift the blame when things don't go "our way". I don't even disagree that more people need to vote and vote regularly, but as someone living in an R+26 district in one of the reddest states in the country, I can understand why people get fed up with it and feel like their vote doesn't make a difference, especially when Republicans in this state and similar states are actively trying to make it harder for people whose votes would actually make a difference to vote.

I live in CA so my vote doesn't matter one bit. Yay!

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
People overlooking Harris in favor of the performative white people?

What else is new.
Well I really liked Harris myself but I don't think her response is overly motivational or informative or reassuring. I wish she could take this and use it as a flagship issue for her. Her numbers are in the shitter (racism, misogyny) but she is a super intelligent, law minded, strong progressive woman. I really, really hope she can take this moment to stand up and shine.

onyx

Dec 25, 2017
Your logic is beyond broken if you really think voting doesn't work in a thread where Trump winning the EC vote lead to what the current SCOTUS is doing.

People on this forum won't shut up about the vote that doesn't count (popular vote), because Trump lost it (not important, just felt like mentioning it). If more people voted for Hilary, abortion rights wouldn't be going away.

These threads always following the same beats though. Outrage, hopelessness, "voting doesn't work", "voting does work", "doing nothing but voting doesn't work", " no one even said to just vote", and finally "I'm sure most of us vote and are just venting".

You're free to say what you want, but I think even just venting about not voting is harmful. People are already feeling hopeless as it is, but whatever. Do what you want.

Republicans are pulling actions that should motivate the left to turn out and vote in record breaking numbers for the midterms. There was a time SCOTUS wouldn't kill abortion rights right before an election, because it should bring the left to the voting booth. If they actually do this and still get big or even enough little wins in November, things are getting much worse.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The deck was stacked against them by the establishment. Bernie and Liz both had a real shot but the system collapsed when Clyburn forced the moderates hand to consolidate with Amy and Pete bowing out to force the majority to Biden.
Which is how these things always go. Why would the moderates just keep running knowing it means defeat for their side?

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
You mean they had a shot when there's no way to get majority support. If you only win by being the largest of a small plurality, you're not actually popular.

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
For sure. In the same way that has been a growing strategy among Democratic Senators. Ultimately, you need to get 50 Republican Senators on board and buying into the strategy that banning abortion (as well as banning gay marriage, ending ACA, cutting SS and medicare, etc) is worth Dems being able to reverse the bills and implement universal health care, paid leave, increased minimum wage, green new deal, etc. That is the risk to a Republican leader. If they do nothing, the Supreme Court can do it for them albeit a little more slowly.

The Dems would not implement all of those things even if they could because many don't agree with all of those as a whole. But it would be worth it to them to ban it.

And, if the GOP keep making it harder and harder to vote, it'll be less and less likely for the Dems to get Congress and the Presidency.

You mean the Republicans are going to do the thing Democrats could have done in the past but didn't specifically because Democrats respect the system and Republicans do not?

Hmm.

Pretty much.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
We all knew the challenge to RvW was coming, but I'm still livid at how gleefully and forcefully conservatives are moving ahead on this.
I've told my wife I'm ready to march in DC, whenever she is. This is setting Women's rights back decades... poor and minority women particularly.
Shameful.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Start taxing the churches today. They elbowed their way into the political discourse decades ago and it's time to bleed them dry. Sick of this shit.

etrain911

Oct 27, 2017

Meanwhile Pelosi and Clyburn are poised to still help anti abortion Dem Henry Cueller in his primary against a progressive leftist.