• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
People need to start boycotting corporations who backed politicians that helped further this. Maybe some financial blowback will cause these companies to reconsider donating to Republicans.
there is no amount of voting that fixes the damage that we see is about to be inflicted. Punitive measures will only go so far before they get ignored.

100%. People that do not want to live in oppressive states will leave to more progressive and bountiful ones.

Creating two de facto nations that are held together in name alone. A humane prosperous one. And a violent, parasitic, oppressive one.
nah, just a shift to a union of nation states

Nola

Oct 29, 2017
I mean, it's a bit of catharsis and ideological clout building in a sea of despair, but we all know the answer here: no

Which is also why I think people ascribing complex conspiracies to the motives of Republicans simply misses the reality, this is a party for the ultra wealthy that has ceased upon reactionary movements and coalitions as a means to secure and retain power.

There is no grand plan here, a useful motivator has reached it's natural conclusion and now the game shifts. And the fallout is not accounted for or concerned with. When social fabrics inevitably weaken in already impoverished communities and a generation of kids end up in a system incapable of caring for them, Republicans will continue advocating the bootstrap prescription while running on taking a hard line on any of the predictable rises in criminality and social unrest their policies create, on pointing to their political outcomes as justification for further racist policies and beliefs.

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The whole "Just vote!" argument assumes the institutions are fine and it's just the people running them that are bad. When the whole system is broken, voting can only fend off bad policy until someone awful eventually wins the vote.

So, yeah, I vote, but it's not like that's making the system work any better.

Last edited:

pirata

Oct 25, 2017
I want to be clear: that post was not me attacking people who don't vote. I have smoke for that group, but that wasn't the point.

The point of that post that was quoted was this: If you can't be bothered to vote, when you KNOW the stakes!? Then spare me all your posturing about violent revolution. You can't even get off your ass to do the bare minimum. I don't buy it. I don't believe it. I don't respect it. Spare me the 🧢.

Trying to convince me you're about this life. Spare. ME.

I still don't understand what you're saying here. Where are the people who can't be bothered to vote? And why does their existence justify our suffering at the hands of the oppressor?

And what do you mean "about this life"? You mean, sick and tired of being crushed under the heels of those who hate me and made my life a living hell and a good chunk of the people who should be unified to oppose the enemy instead blaming me and millions and millions of other like me for our oppression because I live in a "red state"? I honestly don't understand what you mean.

UF_C

Oct 25, 2017
Good luck when a majority of states are Republican dominated and see the redistricting process as one of their strongest tools in solidifying power on their behalf.
Fair and open elections is something that polls well on both sides of the aisle. It's about how it's pitched. Most republican voters are not very sophisticated. You tell them that this the way to keep blm out of their elections and they will pass it with flying colors.

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017
I believe the rich in the US cause of a lot of issues, but abortion ain't one of them. According to every study I've ever seen: the higher your income, the more likely you are to be pro-choice; the lower your income, the more likely you are to be pro-life.
The rich have happily tied abortion rights to their own interests because they know it's more likely to pass that way.

They know they can always get it if they need it.

Scottt

Oct 25, 2017
Relying on voting as a response to oppression is foolish and flees from more impactful actions. It is not a useful conversation. Sure, go on and vote, but stop gnashing about it and move it down the list of imperatives. On a top ten list, casting a vote once or twice a year should be near the bottom.

nonoriri

Apr 30, 2020
This is allowed due to how unfair states are allowed to determine voting districts. It incentivizes division and only empowers candidates to go further to the extreme.

Change redistricting and you save this country. And we can do this through each state's constitutional petition process. We can fix this. We just have to together and absolute in our goals.

Voting helps. But we can do so much more. But we have to start at the beginning. At the root of the issue. And that's who and how we select our candidates for office.
I agree redistricting would be a good thing but a huge gap still remains when the all judicial processes lay within the Senate which is more favorable to Republicans. Even if redistricting gave Dems a much fairer shot, it doesn't address this problem.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
100%. People that do not want to live in oppressive states will leave to more progressive and bountiful ones.

Creating two de facto nations that are held together in name alone. A humane prosperous one. And a violent, parasitic, oppressive one.
Unless we have 2 kings like Sparta we'll still be one state I would think. Flip a coin on which one will benefit which side

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
I still don't understand what you're saying here. Where are the people who can't be bothered to vote? And why does their existence justify our suffering at the hands of the oppressor?

And what do you mean "about this life"? You mean, sick and tired of being crushed under the heels of those who hate me and made my life a living hell and a good chunk of the people who should be unified to oppose the enemy instead blaming me and millions and millions of other like me for our oppression because I live in a "red state"? I honestly don't understand what you mean.

I didn't say or imply anything in your post I put in bold.

iamdelirium

Nov 25, 2017
Voting, takes an hour maybe two: Can't be bothered!

Organizing, weaponizing, and risking your life for a violent uprising: You can count on me for that!
I can't add any more emphasis for this. There are so many people online who roleplay as revolutionaries rather than do the BARE MINIMUM needed for change all while adding gasoline into the fire.

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017
I believe the rich in the US cause of a lot of issues, but abortion ain't one of them. According to every study I've ever seen: the higher your income, the more likely you are to be pro-choice; the lower your income, the more likely you are to be pro-life.

Evangelicals is #1.

Also 80% of democrats support abortion in most/all cases, so probably take them off your list. If democrats won the presidency in 2016 this would not have happened. It is the direct result of the evangelical backed Trump appointing 3 justices.
The rich have happily used abortion as a tool to advance their no-tax, dismantle the Federal Government agenda. Meanwhile they hop on a flight to get an abortion where it's legal.

Joke's on them because red states will 100% criminalize their residents going to another state to get an abortion. Make no mistake – they're gonna ram personhood through and red states will say that 1-day old fetuses are residents of their states

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Yesterday morning, The Washington Post has an article saying that if Roe was overturned and Republicans won the House and Senate their top priority would be to pass a national heartbeat bill to ban abortion in all 50 states https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2022/05/02/abortion-ban-roe-supreme-court-mississippi/

that's the most fucked up thing about it.

they want it to be about states' rights if they can't control the federal congress.

but as soon as they have control federally, they want to enact legislation that they want to override the will of the states.

pirata

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair they didn't include themselves in that revolution. It's just going to happen I guess, somehow.

I'm not trying to say that we allowed this, I thought. I'm saying we don't have what it takes to stop it. I'm sorry if I implied that

Stop neutering your own power! Even if this is absolutely true, what advantage is there at all in espousing this? Seriously, think about it! There is nothing to be gained whatsoever from spreading this!

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of people can't afford to leave.
That is likely to be the case for many. I hope and wish for a better future, but paying attention to what is happening right now is important to mitigate how the negative things sure to come will affect us.

I feel like the far right and their ruling class are preparing for the harsh world to come by seizing absolute power to subjugate the masses by force.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The rich have happily tied abortion rights to their own interests because they know it's more likely to pass that way.

They know they can always get it if they need it.
Yeah

The rich have happily used abortion as a tool to advance their no-tax, dismantle the Federal Government agenda. Meanwhile they hop on a flight to get an abortion where it's legal.

Joke's on them because red states will 100% criminalize their residents going to another state to get an abortion. Make no mistake – they're gonna ram personhood through and red states will say that 1-day old fetuses are residents of their states
Yeah

You don't have to be pro-life to fuck with other people's rights, you only need to care more about your taxes and your money than about civil rights. Lots of "pro-choice" rich fucks vote for conservatives because of low taxes and don't care if that threatens the rights of women or minorities.
Fair. Again, I'm not going to defend the rich. Let's just be focused on the fact that this is the result of republicans and evangelicals.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Then let's change it!
6000.jpg

Nola

Oct 29, 2017
I see a lot of migration in the future. Why would Democrats stay in red states at this point?

We'll just become more polarized.
The people wealthy and educated enough, sure, but go look at a map of African Americans during slavery and 100 years later. The lack of migration is eye opening.

And one of the sociological reasons this is explained is that when the boot is pushed down harder and harder on a communities neck, it simply erodes both the avenues through which you can make life changes and makes a person more dependent on their network of family for basic survival.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
Then let's change it!

That would require a brand new constitution. There aren't enough votes in purple states to reform their elections. And lol at doing that in red states. Meanwhile blue states are doing it and ceding extra votes in the House because it's 'the right thing to do.'

You can't play by the rules and expect to beat back fascism.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it's a bit of catharsis and ideological clout building in a sea of despair, but we all know the answer here: no

Which is also why I think people ascribing complex conspiracies to the motives of Republicans simply misses the reality, this is a party for the ultra wealthy that has ceased upon reactionary movements and coalitions as a means to secure and retain power.

There is no grand plan here, a useful motivator has reached it's natural conclusion and now the game shifts. And the fallout is not accounted for or concerned with. When social fabrics inevitably weaken in already impoverished communities and a generation of kids end up in a system incapable of caring for them, Republicans will continue advocating the bootstrap prescription while running on taking a hard line on any of the predictable rises in criminality and social unrest their policies create, on pointing to their political outcomes as justification for further racist policies and beliefs.
Yes, I know it will never happen, I saw it as a rhetorical question :) You are absolutely on point with the everything you wrote as far as the leadership is concerned, but the conservative ideology embraced the religious right and it is slowly becoming partr of the political fabric as well. I don't want to lose sight of the fact that we are on the receiving end of a religious reckoning they have prayed for. I am most certain they will pin this victory as Trump's legacy and continue to deify the man.

AwShucks

Oct 27, 2017
orly?

explain how my city, Houston, has more people living in it, than the entire state of Kentucky? yet the sr senator from kentucky got to block anything the dems passed before 2020 after they took the house in 2018?

That's not gerrymandering. That's just how the Senate works. Statewide elections for 2 senators. Nobody is changing the shape of Texas and Kentucky to make it more likely for one party or the other to have more senators.

UF_C

Oct 25, 2017
I agree redistricting would be a good thing but a huge gap still remains when the all judicial processes lay within the Senate which is more favorable to Republicans. Even if redistricting gave Dems a much fairer shot, it doesn't address this problem.
It does in the fact that states determine their own election laws.

Look, if the voters of a state want to elect fascists, it's their right to do so. But they do not have the right to disenfranchise the opposition. Which is what we are seeing today. The state laws on elections are purposefully preventing certain groups from voting. By completely changing state houses we change state election laws making our elections more fair and less open for malfeasance by special interest groups.

To make real change will take years. Decades even. But if we start today we can make a difference for the future of this country.

Nola

Oct 29, 2017
Fair and open elections is something that polls well on both sides of the aisle. It's about how it's pitched. Most republican voters are not very sophisticated. You tell them that this the way to keep blm out of their elections and they will pass it with flying colors.
And yet, Democrats can't even pass simple election reform and Republicans have been deeply mobilized against it while supporting or rationalizing their party's illiberal reforms in states across the country, so maybe this logic isn't as soundproof as you are framing it

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Laws don't apply to the rich.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
orly?

explain how my city, Houston, has more people living in it, than the entire state of Kentucky? yet the sr senator from kentucky got to block anything the dems passed before 2020 after they took the house in 2018?
That's just how the senate works which is a huge problem on its own, but Gerrymandering is specifically about congress districts re-drawings.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Voting is likely the easiest thing any one of us can do to push for change but it doesn't fix this, but it certainly could delay or stop the impending neofasc takeover.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
that's the most fucked up thing about it.

they want it to be about states' rights if they can't control the federal congress.

but as soon as they have control federally, they want to enact legislation that they want to override the will of the states.

It's "States' rights!" with any sort of civil liberties, but it becomes 'we must act according to God's Will (TM)' as soon as there's an opportunity to turn one of their ideologically-based rallying cries into action via law.

You can't 'argue' with the moral/religious....'assuredness/superiority' they've somehow convinced their voters that they have.

That's not gerrymandering. That's just how the Senate works. Statewide elections for 2 senators. Nobody is changing the shape of Texas and Kentucky to make it more likely for one party or the other to have more senators.

It's not 'technically' active gerrymandering (since that is done within the state itself), but choosing to select positions of extremely valuable, and limited, political power based off arbitrary land allotments, by nature gives power to the minority group in a very similar, if not essentially the same, way.

Iron_Maw

Banned
Nov 4, 2021
Relying on voting as a response to oppression is foolish and flees from more impactful actions. It is not a useful conversation. Sure, go on and vote, but stop gnashing about it and move it down the list of imperatives. On a top ten list, casting a vote once or twice a year should be near the bottom.
Minimal engaging democracy should be at bottom of our list is sure a weird and tone deaf take given the recent events. But yeah sure its not like elections have consequences or anything. Better to start uprising that will lead to military junta amirighte?

And no nobody is saying just to vote. But voting is single biggest power you have. That's how you got Roe, Casy, Civil Rights, Gay marriage and various important rights as law in the first place.

And frankly even if some of you got your revoltion and new system, given your attridue towards voting you would just back here in again in couple decades. That is the fundamental problem.

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's just how the senate works which is a huge problem on its own, but Gerrymandering is specifically about congress districts re-drawings.

Wasn't Dakota being split into two states considered gerrymandering? And Republican being opposed to statehood for DC and Puerto Rico would be a failed attempt at gerrymandering.

cmChimera

Oct 28, 2017
DOMA did not ban gay marriage. It said the federal government would not recognize gay marriages legally performed in the states. That is also bad (and outside the jurisdiction of Congress, as even a lot of conservative legal theorists said at the time), but it is not a nationwide gay marriage ban.
Yes I understand what DOMA was. My point was that Reublicans are not afraid to make a federal issue out of marriage, and this court is openly attacking the idea that marriage is even a right in the first place. If it's not a right, then Congress can pass legislation like DOMA. It's not purely a state issue because he federal government can deny you things with discriminatory intent even if all states legalize marrigage between the same sex (which multiple states would be quick to ban again).

UF_C

Oct 25, 2017
And yet, Democrats can't even pass simple election reform and Republicans have been deeply mobilized against it while supporting or rationalizing their party's illiberal reforms in states across the country, so maybe this logic isn't as soundproof as you are framing it
Because it's their self interest at stake. Why change the rules that got them there in the first place.

The petition process was created to give a check on a legislature no longer serving its people.

We cannot expect the current crop of politicians to make the change. So let's put something on the ballot that WE create. And don't have to depend on the folks currently in office to do the right thing.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Stop neutering your own power! Even if this is absolutely true, what advantage is there at all in espousing this? Seriously, think about it! There is nothing to be gained whatsoever from spreading this!
My impression is more that we need to know what we can't do to start getting to something we can. In my original post I brought this up mainly bc I really don't think it makes sense to advocate revolution like it's around the corner if we can't do that in any practical terms.

Measure before we cut basically. But if your response is something more like "don't rule it out without discussion" I suppose that's valid

TrojanAg

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
So what would it take to pass a law to make abortion legal in all 50 states? Regardless or Mancin and Sinema, there are a few Republican senators, such as Murkowski, who are opposed to this decision.

Oct 27, 2017
I think women should call for a nation wide general strike. I hope they do. Let men that try to take away their autonomy understand the power that they have.

UF_C

Oct 25, 2017
It's not just about congress. It's about the state senate and assemblies too. Which is where
1. State election law and who gets disenfranchised is created.
2. It's THE farm system where future congressman and senators cut their teeth.

Redistricting is so much more than how Congress is chosen. It sets the stage for the entirety of political divisions in our lives.

And we can control the narrative because there are more of us than there are of them.

Hrodulf

Oct 25, 2017
The whole "Just vote!" argument assumes the institutions are fine and it's just the people running them that are bad. When the whole system is broken, voting can only fend off bad policy until someone awful eventually wins the vote.

So, yeah, I vote, but it's not like that's making the system work any better.
Telling others to vote lets people shift the blame when things don't go "our way". I don't even disagree that more people need to vote and vote regularly, but as someone living in an R+26 district in one of the reddest states in the country, I can understand why people get fed up with it and feel like their vote doesn't make a difference, especially when Republicans in this state and similar states are actively trying to make it harder for people whose votes would actually make a difference to vote.

May 26, 2018
So what would it take to pass a law to make abortion legal in all 50 states? Regardless or Mancin and Sinema, there are a few Republican senators, such as Murkowski, who are opposed to this decision.

A constitutional amendment at this point, but even then SCOTUS could just reinterpret it. It's a living document only when they say it is.