• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
If this is the majority opinion (I am skeptical, largely for reasons related to my understanding of Gorsuch's approach to the 14th Amendment), then abortion laws would vary by state. In some states, abortion would be made entirely illegal. In some, it would be made illegal after a certain point (15 weeks, 6 weeks, etc.). And in some (Democratic-run) states, it would still be legal at any point.

Roe v. Wade enshrined a *federal* right to an abortion, which this opinion would revoke.
Until a republican congress outlaws it nationwide along with gay marriage.

Like the hat?

Oct 25, 2017
Lol okay. Not about us! We did nothing wrong! We didn't lose an election horribly in 2016, we didn't roll over when mitch mcconnell refused to seat a justice under obama! We didnt' do anything so there's nothing to fix!

Fuck this. Dems made mistake after mistake and the GOP capitalizes every time. Burying your head in the sand and pretending you can still play fair ball with the GOP is a fools errand.
They don't want to win anything because both sides get richer and raise more money if they are constantly fighting. It's all a joke.

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
If this is the majority opinion (I am skeptical, largely for reasons related to my understanding of Gorsuch's approach to the 14th Amendment), then abortion laws would vary by state. In some states, abortion would be made entirely illegal. In some, it would be made illegal after a certain point (15 weeks, 6 weeks, etc.). And in some (Democratic-run) states, it would still be legal at any point.

Roe v. Wade enshrined a *federal* right to an abortion, which this opinion would revoke.

The draft, as leaked, is the majority opinion as it stands. This can change, of course.

Just for my understanding.

Would abortion still be possible (without problems) up until the 15th week of pregnancy? How long is abortion currently legal in most states? I am asking cause in my country it's 12 weeks and I haven't heard this to be contentious time-frame. There are other issues within our laws that make it unnecessary harder than it has to be though.

Nevertheless, the reasoning in Judge Alito's draft is... Well, your constitution is a fucking mess.

It would be up to the states so it will be completely illegal in some and others will have more restrictions.

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
Just handwaving every avenue and saying there's nothing we can do to replace the obviously-broken system we have isn't going to lead anywhere good, and exclusively working within this system with no plan to reform it isn't working

I'm not trying to hand wave it away, but it's hard to engage with your premise if you don't give a concrete example or concrete steps on what should be done in the US. I can't think of an example where an existing form of government was turned into a multiparty proportional system without violent revolt.

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
Quick Reminder that the DCCC is the same organization that when sending emails, they use the letter 'O' instead of the number '0' to make numbers look more intimidating. "We need $1OO,OOO!"

Absolute fart squad energy.
Is this a serious post?

They don't want to win anything because both sides get richer and raise more money if they are constantly fighting. It's all a joke.
You can't actually think this?

Devil

Oct 25, 2017

Thanks! Didn't get that from the Politico article.

So, when he says the issue should go back to the elected representatives, does he mean the federal government/congress (to find a 'better' reasoning for a federal abortion law) or does he argue specifically in favor of what you describe, laws on a state by state basis? The latter would be fucked up.

Sky Chief

Oct 30, 2017

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
So let me get this straight. We need 60 non Manchin/Sinema Dems to get anything done. This will never happen. So how exactly is voting gonna solve this?

And to be clear, I'm not saying don't vote or throw in the towel. But saying wait till November and hope we get a bigger majority is the dumbest fucking thing in the world. Women are going to be dying from this far before November comes around.
We should have thought about this everytime we or someone we know hesitated to prevent a death cult from making it so we didn't have a choice. The is why "vote blue no matter who" will never be something to mock. You damn right you vote blue no matter who.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Propaganda in the US isn't nearly as united in purpose as countries like Russia, Hungary, and Turkey, where nearly the entire media apparatus was captured by the ruling party. I'm not saying that the 35% of the country who's balls deep in conspiracies is recoverable, but I am saying that there is a limit to how much propaganda can paper over public discontent when it isn't totally centralized.

Not to mention the seat of power of the country is in the middle of a disproportionately left-leaning area, within quick travel distance of several other disproportionately left-leaning cities, so it will begin to creak and break earlier than Nebraska or whatever.
It doesn't have to be that kind of news propaganda.

We're already prone to infighting and I believe there are issues right now that we haven't solved that are ripe for making into wedge issues that will section off whole contingents of the American left. When they start really instigating those with bad actors I think there real risk we'll really come apart. We don't need to March to one drum, just split apart enough to weaken us into insufficiency.

Then again we're already insufficient. Guess we'll see

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Lol okay. Not about us! We did nothing wrong! We didn't lose an election horribly in 2016, we didn't roll over when mitch mcconnell refused to seat a justice under obama! We didnt' do anything so there's nothing to fix!

Fuck this. Dems made mistake after mistake and the GOP capitalizes every time. Burying your head in the sand and pretending you can still play fair ball with the GOP is a fools errand.
Chuck Schumer is a horrible senate leader and he should have never been put into the role. That's one of the first things that needs to change. Nancy also needs to go.

Oct 29, 2017
Thanks! Didn't get that from the Politico article.

So, when he says the issue should go back to the elected representatives, does he mean the federal government/congress (to find a 'better' reasoning for a federal abortion law) or does he argue specifically in favor of what you describe, laws on a state by state basis? The latter would be fucked up.
This part. And yes, it is fucked up.

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
Antifa storming the capital in all black is the exact thing Republicans want and need to further their totalitarian project.

When fighting a war, strategy is important.

I hear what you're saying, but it also sort of feeds off the narrative that no matter what we do, we're fucked. Do nothing, see our rights eroded. Take action, see our rights stomped out.

We're damned if we do and damned if we don't. Either way, we're screwed, which I think is exactly what the right wants us to think.

Until a republican congress outlaws it nationwide along with gay marriage.
Marriage is purely a state issue, not a federal one.
Yesterday morning, The Washington Post has an article saying that if Roe was overturned and Republicans won the House and Senate their top priority would be to pass a national heartbeat bill to ban abortion in all 50 states https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2022/05/02/abortion-ban-roe-supreme-court-mississippi/
On that front, at least, the filibuster will prevent anything from happening (as long as McConnell is around, anyway).

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
Yesterday morning, The Washington Post has an article saying that if Roe was overturned and Republicans won the House and Senate their top priority would be to pass a national heartbeat bill to ban abortion in all 50 states https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2022/05/02/abortion-ban-roe-supreme-court-mississippi/

If the ruling is that the states are allowed to set abortion rules, can't blue states then use that same ruling to allow abortion?

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't have to be that kind of news propaganda.

We're already prone to infighting and I believe there are issues right now that we haven't solved that are ripe for making into wedge issues that will section off whole contingents of the American left. When they start really instigating those with bad actors I think there real risk we'll really come apart. We don't need to March to one drum, just split apart enough to weaken us into insufficiency.

Then again we're already insufficient. Guess we'll see
I have a hard time viewing that as merely a propaganda thing when, as we've seen in this thread, people are enthusiastically lining up for infighting and circular firing squads. It's a problem that ails our entire society these days -- we'd rather beat up on each other and WIN than do the boring work of trying to improve things incrementally. I blame social media more than I blame traditional media outlets for that.

pirata

Oct 25, 2017
Any violent uprising requires a strong movement.

Nothing like that exists for the left in the US. We barely have movements that can March

We are infants

Stop victim blaming yourself and everyone else for our oppression. Mass movements and revolutions don't need decades to develop.

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
Eventually, Republicans will get 60 votes they need. With all the gerrymandering and rigged system put in place, it's only a matter of time. Heck, it could even happen in combination of the midterms and 2024 election. This is gonna be chaotic.
Well then let's try to prevent it for as long as possible.

Again, voting takes a few hours per year. That's it.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Tell me how many fundraiser emails you got in the past 12 hours.

What's wrong with that?

You always have the option to...not give money.

Another misconception about how politics works when it comes to Dems is that people buy into the Republican framing that Democrats are the party of the rich coastal elites.

9 times out of 10 Democrats are fucking broke.

If they weren't taking these obvious opportunities to fundraise and build an opposition, then we'd be criticizing them for that.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
I have a hard time viewing that as merely a propaganda thing when, as we've seen in this thread, people are enthusiastically lining up for infighting and circular firing squads. It's a problem that ails our entire society these days -- we'd rather beat up on each other and WIN than do the boring work of trying to improve things incrementally. I blame social media more than I blame traditional media outlets for that.
You get what I'm saying though right? They will lean on that like never before and it's going to be a hell of a time.
Stop victim blaming yourself and everyone else for our oppression. Mass movements and revolutions don't need decades to develop.
At some point we need to take responsibility for ourselves. It is what it is.

pirata

Oct 25, 2017
You get what I'm saying though right? They will lean on that like never before and it's going to be a hell of a time.

At some point we need to take responsibility for ourselves. It is what it is.

Fuck you, it's not my fault I grew up afraid of being murdered by Republicans because I'm a gay Texan.

Like the hat?

Oct 25, 2017
Is "they" every Democrat, or just Sean Maloney, or the entire DCCC, or what?
The majority of the Democratic Party. There are people who truly do care but they are made out to be jokes and "too far left"
The majority of the Democratic Party cares about their next fundraiser a lot more than anything else.
You don't have to agree. This is just how it appears to me. Bububut decorum wink wink

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Surely people aren't going to stand for this shit if it comes through? Surely this will push people to bring the rage? Saying this isn't a federal issue is straight bullshit! This is the sort of thing you mobilize immediately on and bring the pain

Sky Chief

Oct 30, 2017
If the ruling is that the states are allowed to set abortion rules, can't blue states then use that same ruling to allow abortion?

By my understanding the ruling does not say that states can set abortion laws but rather that there is no fundamental right to abortion and because of that a federal ban would be possible.

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely, but I think that that, too, has its limits, especially when considering how non-representative DC and the Northeast corridor of cities is. Discontent can get squashed in Nevada at the same time it's erupting in New York and DC.

And maybe our portion of the work is to disarm our own pointless in-fighting on ERA.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Chuck Schumer is a horrible senate leader and he should have never been put into the role. That's one of the first things that needs to change. Nancy also needs to go.

Not a fan of Schumer at all but Pelosi is extremely effective in her role. She got a public option passed, for instance. I see no reason she needs to go.

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
The majority of the Democratic Party. There are people who truly do care but they are made out to be jokes and "too far left"
The majority of the Democratic Party cares about their next fundraiser a lot more than anything else.
You don't have to agree. This is just how it appears to me. Bububut decorum wink wink
This is pretty misinformed. As someone who works in nonprofit fundraising that crosses over in political spheres, this isn't the majority at all. It is some, but it isn't "most."

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
Gerrymandering essentially occurs on a national level with the Senate, though - having non-equal representation via giving 'more' power to states with less population.

Who then get to decide who gets seated for the Supreme Court.

I'd add in voting suppression to tilt thin margin states.

nonoriri

Apr 30, 2020
Which I expect will happen. Even if this is the final decision, this draft opinion is nakedly political in ways that I don't think certain conservative judges would approve of.
Wouldn't the other justices already be aware of the general arguments that Alito would make in his majority opinion? Like I'm just trying to imagine a scenario where like Gorsuch reads this and is shocked by arguments being made and changes his mind. It would seem bizarre that he wouldn't already be aware.

geardo

Oct 27, 2017
Yea, that's what the federal ban is for if Rs ever control every branch of the government again while this not resolved.

And there it is 😖