• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

chiller

Apr 23, 2021
Is there any legitimate possibility that the Democrats will finally wake up and get rid of filibustering? Cause I couldn't give two shits about "putting them on the record" when we already know where everyone stands. As long as the filibuster is in place nothing progressive will ever pass in the Senate.

Agreed, and likely not.

Iron_Maw

Banned
Nov 4, 2021
Is there any legitimate possibility that the Democrats will finally wake up and get rid of filibustering? Cause I couldn't give two shits about "putting them on the record" when we already know where everyone stands. As long as the filibuster is in place nothing progressive will ever pass in the Senate.
48 Dems voted to change the rules last year. Take a guess why it didn't happen.

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
State-by-state, slowly breaking each 2 party structure and providing new political landscapes that people can see and then advocate for federally.

Will that weaken federal Democratic power in the short term? Probably.

The fact that this hasn't happened in small states like Maine, NH, or Vermont. Nor has it happened in deep blue large states tells me we are very far from it.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
We%27re_All_Trying_To_Find_The_Guy_Who_Did_This_banner_1.jpg

Are you saying Bernie would've completely changed his platform to something passable in a 50-50 senate had he won the nomination? Obama's Planned Parenthood answer happened in 2007, when he wasn't yet the nominee.

Oh you're talking about a Bernie, well he didn't become President so his promises about what he'd do as President are unfulfilled.

Maybe he would have been full of shit like Obama it's quite possible.

Planx

Oct 27, 2017
The fact that this hasn't happened in small states like Maine, NH, or Vermont. Nor has it happened in deep blue large states tells me we are very far from it.
And the fact that multi-party proportional representation is the norm in much of the rest of the world tells me we should be more vocal in demanding it ourselves.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn

We have two 'The call is coming from inside the house' horror show Senators. Sinema's corporate backers are already giving her the speech to say in the next few days about how being a queer woman this hurts her, but bipartisanship is the only way forward and she's going to do her best to work on said bipartisanship by getting free food and drinks at the next GOP mixer.

Subxero

Oct 25, 2017
United States
This is disgusting if/when it happens. I just don't understand anything they do. Everything they do is either cruel, racist, xenophobic, religious zealotry, or helps the super rich.

I sure hope if they tell women what to do with their bodies they make sure to force everyone to get all their vaccinations. Lol.

Last edited:

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Republicans want everyone to be allowed to have sex, but know that unwanted kids are more likely to be pushed into that school ---> prison pipeline that allows them to utilize legal slavery. If they die they die, if they suffer, who cares; some other unwanted kid will ideally be there to take their place.

To them, women are factories and kids are the products.
I was under the impression that this also might be part of the Quiverful approach.
Force kids out from everyone in a red state > propagandize said state until they'll be able to convince everyone to vote R > defund education which prevents the kids from knowing better > build up their army of undereducated brainwashed masses to be able to compete with cities in terms of numbers > Zerg rush the legislature

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
surprise the final opinion will have slightly different wording to make it seem a bit more narrow but it will effectively be identical

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
I actually think it's far more likely that the opinion was leaked by a right-leaning clerk. No point in delaying the celebration or the damage control.

Proxy

Oct 27, 2017
Roberts can try and manipulate the conversation at present all he wants but eventually the decision is going to be the same. And the result is going to be catastrophic.

AwShucks

Oct 27, 2017
What are people gonna do? Get mad? Protest? Vote?

Who cares about any of that? Certainly not a Supreme Court Justice with a job for life.

The fight already happened. The bad guys won.

Worse, the bad guys won and their opponents aren't willing to do what it takes (abolish the filibuster and stack the courts) to even fight them.

You mistake Sinema and Manchin as "opponents" of the bad guys.

Oct 25, 2017
Congrats John Roberts. Your name will go down with Roger Taney as the worst Chief Justice in American history. And like Taney, don't be surprised if your court is partly responsible for the country splitting up.

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
And the fact that multi-party proportional representation is the norm in much of the rest of the world tells me we should be more vocal in demanding it ourselves.

Sure but those systems have been created that way from inception without an existing constitution in place, and some of their governments much newer than the US. The question is how to overcome entrenched interests in the US and how to address the disengaged public.

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah Roberts can say it's not the final opinion all day long, we can all see where it's going to land. I'll bet the overall language will be slightly softer but effectively the same, probably with Roberts joining the liberals to help make it look less obviously partisan.

Lucky Aces

Banned
Dec 7, 2020
I don't know what it's going to take to enact change but a lot of people are running out of options if this continues.

We all know deep down what it's going to take, but no one here likes to even say it. This will all eventually lead up to violent riots. It WILL happen, it's just a matter of WHEN, not if.

And I'm not at all encouraging it because that's one of the last things I want to happen, but when we will continue to see people's, minorities especially, freedoms and rights being taken away, I'm not at all gonna be shocked when it does happen.

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
Oh you're talking about a Bernie, well he didn't become President so his promises about what he'd do as President are unfulfilled.

Maybe he would have been full of shit like Obama it's quite possible.

If you want to pick someone else, tell me an elected politician who as kept all of their campaign promises. Blaming Obama for not codifying Roe is so stupid.

Gambit61

Oct 26, 2017
WTF my coworker just told me about this. What a great country we have here.

"Land of the free" 🤦🏽‍♂️

Drek

Oct 27, 2017
It won't be the final position, just a framework and now they're going to basically publicly workshop it to encircle any abstract justifications they can reach for.

Its "this is how we feel, now tell us how much we need to moderate the langauge to make all you centrists ok with this".

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
If you want to pick someone else, tell me an elected politician who as kept all of their campaign promises. Blaming Obama for not codifying Roe is so stupid.

Ok so you're admitting it was a broken promise now but it's ok because all politicians do it.

Which that's fine if you want to rationalise it that way, I just think Obama shouldn't have lied about something this important. It was a disappointment.

KatieKatsup

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
48 Dems voted to change the rules last year. Take a guess why it didn't happen.

We have two 'The call is coming from inside the house' horror show Senators. Sinema's corporate backers are already giving her the speech to say in the next few days about how being a queer woman this hurts her, but bipartisanship is the only way forward and she's going to do her best to work on said bipartisanship by getting free food and drinks at the next GOP mixer.

*sigh* Yeah figures Sinema and Manchin are going to continue to further obstruct anything happening.

Honestly just don't see the point anymore. Things are quickly going to keep getting worse, midterms and 2024 are likely going handily to the Republicans and no one is going to strongly revolt in a way that fundamentally changes anything.

I try to remain a positive, "look on the bright side" person. I vote, I protest, I contact reps, I donate, I do everything we're supposed to do. But every day there's new legislation striping away more rights and protections and it's hard to see any light. Feels like nothing matters.

Apologies for ranting and doom posting. Just… fuck. 😓

Planx

Oct 27, 2017
Sure but those systems have been created that way from inception without an existing constitution in place, and some of their governments much newer than the US. The question is how to overcome entrenched interests in the US and how to address the disengaged public.
I think that's an assumption on your part and isn't the case for every country. Some of them had Constitutions like ours, and they led to dictatorships that were eventually replaced by fairer systems. Some of them had Constitutions like ours and voted for reforms. Some of them were created whole-cloth like you say. It shouldn't matter when the path we're on now is so clearly leading down to authoritarianism, suffering and injustice

Just handwaving every avenue and saying there's nothing we can do to replace the obviously-broken system we have isn't going to lead anywhere good, and exclusively working within this system with no plan to reform it isn't working

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
It won't be the final position, just a framework and now they're going to basically publicly workshop it to encircle any abstract justifications they can reach for.

Its "this is how we feel, now tell us how much we need to moderate the langauge to make all you centrists ok with this".

Yeah I except they all know how they want to vote and it's just a brutal exercise of power and the actual reasoning or whatever is garnish but it is nice at least to see them squirm a little bit over their fears about their public legitimacy.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
I mean, we already know what's going to happen here.

Tiktokers will do dances for police for the clout, actors will pose in revolutionary cosplay, and we'll get a load of bright young people arrested for no greater purpose and filed away in the system

I dunno. We never really had a leftist uprising here outside of The Weatherman which was straight terrorism.

I would say in a world with militarized police, mass surveillance, and most importantly a media willing to go with certain provided narratives even outside of the rightwing ecosystem its a problem. We had the biggest protests in decades during 2020 and the police won: violently attacking protestors, overtime, and a year of 'crime is rising not because of a worldwide pandemic but because you said mean things about cops'.

Maybe if we hit Vietnam level but you had people with hard skin in the game (the draft) and that took years we don't have.

Lucky Aces

Banned
Dec 7, 2020
I mean, we already know what's going to happen here.

Tiktokers will do dances for police for the clout, actors will pose in revolutionary cosplay, and we'll get a load of bright young people arrested for no greater purpose and filed away in the system

That too. Can't believe how humanity as a whole have turned into when I also except THIS to happen.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Why do people say this? Doing nothing is going to guarantee it. Might as well TRY to do something.

Have you signed up for firearms training?

Where are your molotovs?

The thing that bothers me the most about all this ideation of violent retribution isn't the idea of violence itself; it's that it's being perpetuated by people who wouldn't do shit themselves.

ZeroMaverick

Mar 5, 2018
I mean, those other people got to storm the capital and get away with it. Maybe we should try too? I have a 4-day weekend on Memorial Day and it's only an 11 hour drive to DC for me. Y'all ain't talking about it, though