• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Beefsquid

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I think Biden would consider it, but Sinema and Manchin won't support it because they love raking in cash on the status quo.
Yea, it's unlikely Sinema and Manchin would support it, but I don't think dems can and should hide behind them. Force them to vote. If they oppose it, well that is that. But to sit back and do nothing because they're afraid doesn't seem very inspiring.

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
If the draft opinion wasn't leaked, people would still question the legitimacy of the Court. All of this is just a circus act just to shift some of the attention away from the actual opinion to it leaking. Hell it could be a Republican conspiracy to leak so outrage can be shifted, if we want to go down that rabbit hole. :/

It likely would but this is open hostility within the Court itself. If people don't see the Court as legitimate and stable, it can have massive consequences. Despite what many of us think, the Court enjoys large favorability.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
So when they overturn gay marriage ect what then? People won't just let their rights be taken away like that.
Trans people rights are already under attack, now women's reproductive rights and the right to privacy has been attacked. People have already had their rights taken away.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017

giphy.gif

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
That specific issue? No. The general point about how our Presidents run on stuff they have absolutely no intention to push for or belief will get done on its own? Yes.
Every politician ever over-promises. They run based on their aspirations. And if they don't...realistic campaigning is met by hand-clapping emoji and BETTER THINGS AREN'T POSSIBLE on Twitter. What on earth is the point of litigating Obama's campaign promises in 2022.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Fuck the United States of America, such a shitty developing nation that can't even protect its own citizens. Fuck the Democrats for not doign their damn jobs and legislating actual legislation all these decades. And a big fat double fisted middle fingers to the Republican Party for being such worthless inhumane, sexist, fascist pieces of shit that they went through with it. There will be a special place in hell for these assholes

Iron_Maw

Banned
Nov 4, 2021
Yea, it's unlikely Sinema and Manchin would support it, but I don't think dems can and should hide behind them. Force them to vote. If they oppose it, well that is that. But to sit back and do nothing because they're afraid doesn't seem very inspiring.
They already did this with the filibuster vote last year. So this would just be the equivalent of that again.

Fact sadly the makeup of the Senate doesn't favor Biden or dems at this moment reality because they don't have numbers.

effzee

Oct 26, 2017
NJ
Probably a more generous reading than he deserves, but part of the reason Republicans can achieve their goals with or without a national legislative majority is because they have put such a premium on nominating judges with a partisan slant.

As soon as they put ACB on the court it was full throttle on passing state laws that overturned previous precedent, and they're going after written-in-stone federal statutes (like OSHA or the VRA) that they don't have the votes to overturn either. They've also repeatedly signaled that they won't stop state legislatures from abusing what's left of the VRA, so the law is virtually dead.

You can always tell when someone is politically unserious if they think that one president can completely flip the country around, because even in a fairy tale world where Bernie is president and he strong-arms the party into passing New Deal 2.0, the Supreme Court can just say 'lol no' and we're in the exact same place. 2016 was the most pivotal election of our lifetime and we dropped the ball, and we'll be paying for it until our kids are having kids.

Agree with this 100%.

Unfortunately, the vast majority of people only vote and or care about the Presidential election. No one cares about the midterms or local elections and how they affect their daily lives more so than a President can.

Republicans have this game mastered. They have their base completely in sync and they vote in droves in midterms. They know they can limit at Dem president.

And then you have the group of people who don't even bother to do the most basic reading and research and then say "what's the point, nothing ever changes..."

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
So when they overturn gay marriage ect what then? People won't just let their rights be taken away like that.

I mean, there will be protests, but we already saw from the George Floyd protests that these people will just hunk down and let the mass storm of peaceful protests pass. Voting is a rigged game that is getting more and more rigged as the GOP makes more moves to be able to ignore results they don't like, and even without that as a factor, voting isn't going to have a lot of impact at this point since this court is solidified unless there is at least 2 unexpected deaths during a Dem presidency when Dems hold the Senate. Really, we're at a point where the only thing that is going to impact change is an organized revolt, one that inspires legitimate fear for the safety of the people in power and their families.

But that isn't going to happen. The minute you start talking about stuff like that, people get too nervous, and most of the "allies" will pull back the reigns and/or you're just going to be laughed at for it being unrealistic. But that's the only real path to changing things once the highest court in the land starts chopping up human rights, because that's basically the period at the end of the sentence until something radical happens to force a change (like the Civil War and slavery, for instance) or a new court comes decades later.

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
That specific issue? No. The general point about how our Presidents run on stuff they have absolutely no intention to push for or belief will get done on its own? Yes.

He didn't run on Roe and generally avoided talking about abortion and gay marriage. He was asked a question during the campaign about it.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, there will be protests, but we already saw from the George Floyd protests that these people will just hunk down and let the mass storm of peaceful protests pass. Voting is a rigged game that is getting more and more rigged as the GOP makes more moves to be able to ignore results they don't like, and even without that as a factor, voting isn't going to have a lot of impact at this point since this court is solidified unless there is at least 2 unexpected deaths during a Dem presidency when Dems hold the Senate. Really, we're at a point where the only thing that is going to impact change is an organized revolt, one that inspires legitimate fear for the safety of the people in power and their families.

But that isn't going to happen. The minute you start talking about stuff like that, people get too nervous, and most of the "allies" will pull back the reigns and/or you're just going to be laughed at for it being unrealistic. But that's the only real path to changing things once the highest court in the land starts chopping up human rights, because that's basically the period at the end of the sentence until something radical happens to force a change or a new court comes decades later.

If you take away too many rights there will be violence. I don't think the protests will be peaceful this time.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
So this is basically over right? Barring sone Jackson esque "let the court enforce it" we have no choice but to abide by this decision when it comes out.

So all we can really do is wait for the next time we can emplace in 3 Justices without the opposing party responding and vote for our school superintendents. There's no point in wasting air in this

Geode

Oct 27, 2017
It likely would but this is open hostility within the Court itself. If people don't see the Court as legitimate and stable, it can have massive consequences. Despite what many of us think, the Court enjoys large favorability.

If the leaked opinion was in favor of Roe v. Wade, would we be having the same conversation? I doubt it. Sure, Roberts would still order FBI to look into it, but Republicans would be trying to get them to change the opinion before it was actually released.

yagal

Oct 25, 2017
I mean what we really should be talking about here is that our systems are inherently broken and have been since the beginning of the country.

The Supreme Court is inherently undemocratic.

Republicans have won 3 presidential elections in the last 30 years but have more justices on the bench.

The electoral college gave the presidency to two men who did not get the majority of votes.

The confirmation process requires us to go through the Senate which is set up to give power to states with low populations.

Like we can bitch about the far left and Hillary and moderates and whatever the fuck but the reality is structuraly our democracy was designed for a party to game the system exactly like this.

Tyranny of the minority was baked int the system as a way for the rich elites to tip the scales towards them. That process just got hijacked over the last 40 years by fundamentalists.

European democracies have gone through several revisions but the US has this insane cult of the constitution. It's sacred, it's an extremist cult...Everything is the same since forever

I wanted to say protest and vote even when I know that, from my outsider's point out of view, little has changed after the protest following Floyd's death. I feel bad, but doing nothing would be worst... The USA is very good at putting an ananas in your butthole while looking you in the eye with a good old democracy smile on the face

Planx

Oct 27, 2017
Every politician ever over-promises. They run based on their aspirations. Realistic campaigning is met by hand-clapping emoji and BETTER THINGS AREN'T POSSIBLE on Twitter. What on earth is the point of litigating Obama's campaign promises in 2022.
It's not relitigating, it's pointing to past promises made, asking "Why didn't this happen?" and trying to understand the reasons people become disillusioned with the Democratic party

And there's a lot there. The Democratic party has promised the moon for 2 decades now and has had a good amount of political power in that time, and they don't really have much to show for it. When people wonder "Hey I did my job and voted, and we didn't get what we were told we'd get" and the people they voted for say "It wasn't my fault you didn't get that, you didn't vote hard enough" you can only play that card so many times before wonder what the hell they're voting for.

Does the system do its best to frustrate progress and limit what can be done? Yes it does, but if that gets in the way of getting people what they want then maybe our politicians should be discussing any possible way to change the underlying systems that distribute political power instead of floundering in the same culture war for generations. You can't blame people for getting upset they are lied to every election without end.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017

You'd be surprised how many Americans just turn into Uncle Phil in this GIF when authoritarian laws are passed that don't effect them directly.

fresh-prince-we.gif

I just don't think it will happen (any time soon). A key pillar of modern white supremacy is the framing of racism as stuff that happened in 1950s. Everyone is still racist as fuck, but it allows the system to perpetuate it because everyone can point at shit like lynchings and separate but equal and go, "I'm not racist. I don't like that stuff, but black people need to get off welfare." Getting rid of interracial marriage would disrupt that illusion too much so I doubt you'll find enough republican voters to go along with it.

I think you're missing the point that if Alabama were to pass a law right now you'd be depending on ACB, Alito, Kav, Thomas, and Gorsuch to determine whether the Civil Rights Act is still relevant in 2022. *National* vote counts no longer matter because Republicans can now set up localized religious fiefdoms with impunity.

The GOP is mask off, the first Texas abortion bounty law, the "Don't say Gay" bills, and book banning spree should have set off alarm bells for anyone who wasn't paying attention. They've already signaled that Obergefell v. Hodges is next on the menu, there will be at least one state that tries to wipe out gay marriage in the next 5 years, and after that, the only thing left is the CRA.

DjDeathCool

Oct 28, 2017
Bismarck, ND
Just a reminder "states rights" are not the end game here. This filth won't stop until its illegal everywhere by passing fucked up border laws and will then move onto extinguishing LGBTQ peoples. These fucks want to revert society to the 1950s.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
If you take away too many rights there will be violence. I don't think the protests will be peaceful this time.

You may be right, but I really doubt it's going to be something we see organized and in mass. Too many liberals and moderates are scared of the idea of a real French-style Revolution because of the level of bloodshed that would come with it, as well as the chaos that would ensue afterward. Because after the French Revolution came the French Terror, after all, and the ensuing years of a revolt would be a potentially perilous one, and a lot would ride on a lot of people who came into this new power structure having both a moral core as well as an understanding that something has to be built that is going to be more favorable to a majority of people because they are standing on a powder keg.

I just don't think a lot of people have it in them to follow through, the idea of political violence as an agent of change has become so stigmatized within the moderate and liberal mind that I just don't think they'd ever have the stomach. I mean, who knows, but most likely we'll see the same ineffective mass peaceful protests alongside some bigger scale riots that get shut down and condemned from all sides while those in power doing this continue on larger unopposed.

Deleted member 4614

Oct 25, 2017
So this is basically over right? Barring sone Jackson esque "let the court enforce it" we have no choice but to abide by this decision when it comes out.

If the GOP were voted out of every office everywhere we could have a constitutional convention protecting abortion.

The problem is enough people vote for the GOP that this won't happen.

So you have to out organize and beat them.

Sky Chief

Oct 30, 2017
You'd be surprised how many Americans just turn into Uncle Phil in this GIF when authoritarian laws are passed that don't effect them directly.

fresh-prince-we.gif

I think you're missing the point that if Alabama were to pass a law right now you'd be depending on ACB, Alito, Kav, Thomas, and Gorsuch to determine whether the Civil Rights Act is still relevant in 2022. *National* vote counts no longer matter because Republicans can now set up localized religious fiefdoms with impunity.

The GOP is mask off, the first Texas abortion bounty law, the "Don't say Gay" bills, and book banning spree should have set off alarm bells for anyone who wasn't paying attention. They've already signaled that Obergefell v. Hodges is next on the menu, there will be at least one state that tries to wipe out gay marriage in the next 5 years, and after that, the only thing left is the CRA.

Don't forget that in two years we'll have them hearing whether states can just say who won their presidential delegates instead of actually counting votes if the next R presidential candidate doesn't win

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
It's not relitigating, it's pointing to past promises made, asking "Why didn't this happen?" and trying to understand the reasons people become disillusioned with the Democratic party

And there's a lot there. The Democratic party has promised the moon for 2 decades now and has had a good amount of political power in that time, and they don't really have much to show for it. When people wonder "Hey I did my job and voted, and we didn't get what we were told we'd get" and the people they voted for say "It wasn't my fault you didn't get that, you didn't vote hard enough" you can only play that card so many times before wonder what the hell they're voting for.

Does the system do its best to frustrate progress and limit what can be done? Yes it does, but if that gets in the way of getting people what they want then maybe our politicians should be discussing any possible way to change the underlying systems that distribute political power instead of floundering in the same culture war for generations. You can't blame people for getting upset they are lied to every election without end.

This doesn't respond to yogurt's central point, which is that when a politician does campaign on what they could realistically do, they are near universally panned for it. "Not aspirational." "Good things AREN'T possible!!!"

This is the part where I remind y'all that Hillary Clinton actually released a book on her policy proposals and how she planned to accomplish them:

But a bit less than half the party went in for the guy who's M4A proposal up to that point was a whopping...2 pages long. 2 pages.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
If there's no right embedded in the Constitution, Congress could still legislate one. That's their entire purpose. The Supreme Court is saying there is no right to privacy, so States can legislate to diminish your privacy. If Congress passes legislation saying that States cannot do that, then the states have to listen.

That's not how it works. If the Supreme Court's view is that abortion isn't a reserved power, then it's saying that congress does not have a constitutional right to legislate one. Congress can pass laws, and does so all the time, that the court has overturned. The language of this ruling makes it absolutely crystal clear that they would do so because they do not view a constituonal basis for legalising abortion at the federal level. It is a matter for the states.

Nola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
And like in 90% of cases it gets to this point, the fascist party uses the violence as the basis to justify further suppression of their opposition and disenfranchise minorities under the guise of safety and order. And for the most part the centrists of the country will side with them, and because most of the time fascists have at their backs the corrupted capitalist and police/military apparatus, it's a pretty easy task to mobilize and neutralize the opposition.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
If the GOP were voted out of every office everywhere we could have a constitutional convention protecting abortion.

The problem is enough people vote for the GOP that this won't happen.

So you have to out organize and beat them.
Sure but this current issue is settled until then. It's done?

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
Incorrect. Obama promised to sign the Freedom of Choice Act as his first act as President. Then he said once elected it wasn't a priority.

Responding to a question regarding how he would preserve reproductive rights in a speech given to the Planned Parenthood Action Fund on July 17, 2007, Obama declared, "The first thing I'd do, as president, is sign the Freedom of Choice Act. That's the first thing that I'd do."

He didn't campaign on it. It was a response to a question.

Planx

Oct 27, 2017
This doesn't respond to yogurt's central point, which is that when a politician does campaign on what they could realistically do, they are near universally panned for it. "Not aspirational." "Good things AREN'T possible!!!"

This is the part where I remind y'all that Hillary Clinton actually released a book on her policy proposals and how she planned to accomplish them:

But a bit less than half the party went in for the guy who's M4A proposal up to that point was a whopping...2 pages long. 2 pages.
No it does get to that, the system we have now rewards in the short term candidates who promise more than they'll ever be able to get done, and in the long term never sees those popular vote-getting measures passed.

So why don't we start talking about implementing new systems that let parties and candidates get done the popular things that they promise? What we have now is useless and clearly doesn't protect the hard-won rights that we all need and rely on.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017

That probably hurt her. Reading is for elites

Tya

Oct 30, 2017
as a non-American who casually follows American politics, im still truly baffled by Leftists who refused to hold their nose and just vote for icky Clinton to block Trump from getting power.

it was obvious even observing from afar that Trump would nominate far-right religious nutters to the SC, and that Clinton most certainly would not. WHY wasnt that enough of a reason to vote against Trump..? i truly dont get it. when Trump was campaigning he literally said women who get abortions should get punished. i dont understand how people didnt rush to vote against him, even if the other option was any random person.

now America is stuck with religous extremist anti-freedom SC judges for who knows how many decades.. its depressing even to me and i'll most likely never set foot in the country.

is there any way to stop abortion becoming illegal now? what can be done about the judges?

Realistically, nothing can be done about the current makeup of the court. This was decided in 2016. As you can also see from this thread, there are still people comically talking about Democrats earning their votes while Republicans are openly talking about ending democracy in this country.

nonoriri

Apr 30, 2020
That's not how it works. If the Supreme Court's view is that abortion isn't a reserved power, then it's saying that congress does not have a constitutional right to legislate one. Congress can pass laws, and does so all the time, that the court has overturned. The language of this ruling makes it absolutely crystal clear that they would do so because they do not view a constituonal basis for legalising abortion at the federal level. It is a matter for the states.
Does that also mean that a federal law outlawing abortion would also be unconstitutional under this argument? It seems to me yes but also I guess there's no requirement for the court to be consistent.

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
If the leaked opinion was in favor of Roe v. Wade, would we be having the same conversation? I doubt it. Sure, Roberts would still order FBI to look into it, but Republicans would be trying to get them to change the opinion before it was actually released.

The leaking itself is more of what I'm talking about. This rarely happens with unpublished opinions and it means the Court is hostile with each other. This can have big consequences.