• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
Also just old as hell. Pretty much the entire leadership is 70+ years old. Nancy Pelosi, for example, was born in 1940 and has been the minority/majority leader since 2003! They are out of touch. I'd love to see a breakdown that shows the % of dem voters younger than the democratic congressional leadership. Have to think its at least 80%

out of touch...with a ruling from 1973? and a rights debate the predates even that by decades?

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
someone plz correct me if i'm wrong.. but is the general idea with this supreme court that the federal government can only guarantee rights that are specifically in constitution?

so theoretically red states can do whatever they want (except legalize chattel slavery) and the same for blue states?
Essentially, this is what I expect. If it's not explicitly in the constitution and it's a liberal legal viewpoint, it's on the chopping block. Their standard is that the only true way to enact a law is to have a constitutional amendment. And they know 100% such a thing is not going to happen. They have no problem throwing out regular legislation.

Oct 25, 2017
This, thank you. Clarence Thomas and Amy Barrett are just doing their jobs and can't hold all the blame.
giphy.gif

blue_whale

Nov 1, 2017
I never said anything about laying flat, I just exposed the contradiction in your statement. It's not about being 'fair,' that's just your weird Boomer-ish flavor you chose to add to this. I said you can't have it both ways, and you can't.

You can't just shout vote, vote, vote when the voting matters less and less. Clinton won the popular vote by over three million votes, but lost because of less than 10,000 across 3 states. Gerrymandering, voter suppression, the gutting of the Voting Rights Act, the electoral college, etc. are all things that are making voting mean less and have less impact. Not to mention the GOP are setting things up to just throw out results of elections that aren't in their favor in the near future.

You call me naive, but ironically, it's the opposite here as you think that voting alone is going to save us. It's not, because people are already voting, they're voting in mass. But the system is rigged against them and will continue to do so unless voting is largely meaningless.

And that's what I was pointing out. You, like a lot to people, want to have an easy target to point out so you can punch down on whatever targets (young people, minorities, queers, leftists, DINOs, etc.) and then when things don't pan out you can blame those groups again.

Voting is just one part of the puzzle, and it a part that is slowly becoming less relevant. No one is saying not to vote, but if all you care about is voting, you're in for a rude awakening in the next several years.
10000 votes is not very much, if that is the hurdle you need to jump to get the presidency. Maybe more political action; just a little more get out the vote in key states was needed to keep trump out and you know those supreme court seats in hand. It's easy to say that in retrospect, but... you know as you admit those votes mattered a lot.

As for attacking voters, I'm not attacking voters at all. I'm a voter, why would I attack myself? I'm a minority and an immigrant that came from an authoritarian country; republican democracy in this country is very important to me. It's disturbing seeing this backslide given that ostensibly the majority of American voters do not want this.

Murr

Banned
Dec 5, 2019
establishment Dems treat Republicans like Republicans treat climate change

come on. if you have any hope in Democrats idk what to tell you at this point. they care more about decorum than they care about you.

trying to get local R's to form a union is a far more worthwhile use of my time than canvassing at this point

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
You can't stop an unstoppable force with an immovable object if you are too concerned with weather the object is worth a damn.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm just going to point out, again, making Row a law wouldn't have done shit. The Supreme Court can overturn laws, that's literally why they are considered a check on the rest of the government. It would have taken a literal constitutional amendment to prevent this and that was never on the table.

ok but consider this: everyone is aware that a constitutional amendment is almost impossible so it's harder to blame the libs for not doing it

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
And it wouldn't have done a damn thing to change the current makeup of the court. So now we blame RBG, right?

We have a 4-4 court with Roberts in the middle right now. I think we avoid this.

I mean I'm not saying it would fix everything and at the time institutional norms were still a thing that kind of existed so it felt extreme compared to say post Trump.

Deleted member 6645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At some point, minorities, women, the poor, LGBTQ, the marginalized need to realize they need each other. They want you oppressed. Ideally, they'd prefer you fucking dead. Stop being nice.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
someone plz correct me if i'm wrong.. but is the general idea with this supreme court that the federal government can only guarantee rights that are specifically in constitution?

so theoretically red states can do whatever they want (except legalize chattel slavery) and the same for blue states?
Basically they are taking the stance that since Historically Abortion was criminalized in many places and things like Gay people were considered evil and vile that the rights afforded them do not count because history says penalize and punish. ignoring the 9th amendment which specifically states not all rights are stated in the Bill of rights or Constitution and should be considered.

PunchyMalone

May 1, 2018
The dems had control after the 2016 elections? That's news to me. This is happening because some people abstained or voted Jill Stein in 2016 in states that mattered.

Hillary didn't lose because the left didn't vote for her, so the point doesn't work there either.

That's not how SCOTUS works. Due to it's nature, a SCOTUS made up of different idealogies can happen that are different from the party currently in power at the executive and legislative levels. Biden has been able to appoint just 1 SCOTUS seat so far on a SCOTUS that was already heavily conservative.

I know how SCOTUS works. My point is the dems love to point fingers at the left for their own failures, even when Bernie is endorcing both candidates and most leftists vote for them, its still somehow our fault that this party manages to lose. Even when they have everything we could have voted in, its still not enough.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
The sad thing is the establishment is backing Cuellar
Maybe they think if they anti-abortion well enough the Rs will stick by them for some votes.

Fuck, idk at this point. It's clear that conventional strategy isn't really keeping pace here; maybe the winner here is to start spouting our own anti-abortion rhetoric all over and then when in office don't follow through on any of it to keep offices in our court lol

Just Manchin in every state we can. If we'll accept it for one state, why not every similar state? And if we've been failing at that and trying, pay for more convincing R-Democrats. Really just slide into the den of thieves

Oct 25, 2017
We have a 4-4 court with Roberts in the middle right now. I think we avoid this.

I mean I'm not saying it would fix everything and at the time institutional norms were still a thing that kind of existed so it felt extreme compared to say post Trump.
If you actually think Roberts would be your ally if this came to a split...

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
At some point, minorities, women, the poor, LGBTQ, the marginalized need to realize they need each other. They want you oppressed. Ideally, they'd prefer you fucking dead. Stop being nice.

The unfortunate thing I've learned, in my 36 years on this planet as a Queer Black person, is that the guiding hegemony in American politics is race.

Of all the identities I claim. Black, Queer, poor, disabled. I am most reminded, again and again, that I am Black first.

Until this country truly wrestles with its original sin, I feel that will always be the case.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
Maybe they think if they anti-abortion well enough the Rs will stick by them for some votes.

Fuck, idk at this point. It's clear that conventional strategy isn't really keeping pace here; maybe the winner here is to start spouting our own anti-abortion rhetoric all over and then when in office don't follow through on any of it to keep offices in our court lol

Just Manchin in every state we can

That seat is in real danger of going red because of the inroads the GOP are making in South Texas.

Dems will dump tons of money to keep Cisneros out when they should be spending tons of money get folks to vote for them.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
establishment Dems treat Republicans like Republicans treat climate change

come on. if you have any hope in Democrats idk what to tell you at this point. they care more about decorum than they care about you.

trying to get local R's to form a union is a far more worthwhile use of my time than canvassing at this point

helping folks unionize is good and worthwhile but it's very confusing as to why you're specifically limiting to a union for republicans and putting it in opposition to supporting democrats.

Nola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
If I can chime in here and give some context to all of this shitflinging: this goes further back than 2016, y'all.

Who stole the election in 2000? Who started a taste test for minority rule? Blaming Obama or the Bernard Brothers or RBG is missing the fact one party has cheated and been underhanded the entirety of this century, and they've never once been punished to the degree they should have.

Chris Hedges called this shit out 15 years ago. His book American Fascist painted this a decade and a half ago.
Who would punish them?

And if you say the American voters, who would be the vessel through which that punishment would be carried out??

You see the problem here?

Al Gore decided to lay down, Democrats were scared to prosecute Bush and his cronies for fear of "precedent and norms," Obama insisted on reaching across the aisle and finding bipartisan consensus with a party that saw denying him that consensus and cooperation their best chance at power, Democratic leaders preferred to mock realist strategists that said to pressure RGB to retire instead of recognizing the harm that could cause, Biden shuffled away his promises to look at SC reform, refused to eliminate the filibuster, Democrats can't even decide that voting rights, which are in their own best interest, is worthy enough to pass for self preservation.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno

This.

I really, really hope this is the wake-up call that people need to realize that the Republican party considers anyone who isn't a white Christian to be an enemy and they want you dead.

They're not your friends, they're enemies and that's what they consider you to be.

GGenoGold24

Banned
Feb 21, 2022

If you don't think this way, you've obviously not posted outside "Leftist" spaces.

Roe v. Wade is just the first in a long list of pet peeves which ends with non-WASPs becoming second-class citizens.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
Obama did have a supermajority.
Briefly. And that includes Joe Lieberman.

[33] From January 27 to April 28, 2009, when Senator Arlen Specter(R-Pennsylvania) joined the Democratic caucus, there were 56 Democratic senators, 41 Republicans, two independents, and one undecided seat in Minnesota. That vacancy was filled as an additional Democratic seat on July 7, 2009, with the swearing-in of Al Franken, bringing the totals to 58 Democrats, 40 Republicans, and 2 independents. Seven weeks later, on August 25, Sen. Edward M. Kennedy (D-Mass.) died, lowering the Democratic total to 57 for a month until Paul G. Kirk Jr. (D) was appointed and sworn in as Senator Kennedy's interim replacement on September 25, 2009. Just over four months later, on February 4, 2010, Scott Brown (R) who had won a special election for the seat, succeeded Paul Kirk, returning the Republican caucus to 41, and again reducing the Democratic caucus to 57 plus two independents.
And that's when the ACA passed (if that tells you anything about what was/was not going to pass in that Senate).

Last edited:

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
I knew it would happen eventually but... nothing I can type can convey my feelings on this. Dread for how much further they'll be willing to go - and more likely in less news-worthy ways that people will not know they need to fight - and how long it will take before we can ever walk any of it back.

We only have leaked drafts of the opinion so we don't know yet but it's looking like Alito is saying certain rights are rooted in tradition, and certain rights (abortion) aren't, and so the ones not rooted in tradition are optional.

It is of course complete hokum and basically the Court has decided the outcome it wants (abortion banned) and the reasoning is an afterthought.

Which is really just business as usual for them in this super cool legal setup we've got in this country.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018

We know they do. We need other folks to give a fuck and actually do something.

Trans folks know that the GOP are targeting them. Cis folks aren't putting anything on the line to help them, for example.

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
You do realize how demoralizing "vote blue no matter who" is when dems can't get shit done even with 60 senators right? Let alone the current setup where they have the presidency and both houses. Somehow there's always an excuse for the dems.
Yes it demoralizing to have to continuously vote for milquetoast candidates that keep the lights on to stave off fascist candidates, only hoping the structure of the Senate loops back around to give you just enough votes to allow substantive change for a few months every few decades. But that's the fight, it doesn't end.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
GOP sure gonna love all this infighting among Liberals as they continue to fuck over the USA.
Yup. This thread is full of finger pointing instead of "we need to go out and vote no matter what because the R's sure as hell will".

We even had people bringing up student loans in this thread kind of implying is a reason to not vote. Like, bruh...

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
It's getting to the point that violence may unfortunately happen. It's really getting THAT BAD. Jesus fuckin Christ!

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
You do realize how demoralizing "vote blue no matter who" is when dems can't get shit done even with 60 senators right? Let alone the current setup where they have the presidency and both houses. Somehow there's always an excuse for the dems.
Our 2009 supermajority was full of blue dogs and conservative dems. Any Dem is better than any Republican, but not every Dem is a dyed in the wool progressive either. Our current setup is significantly more progressive than our last DDD government was, but we have a 50-50 senate where our single anti-choice Dem senator can gum up the works. And yeah, it's really fucking frustrating. But it's hardly an indictment on the Democratic party writ large. The vast majority of congressional Dems believe in a woman's right to choose. Pretending otherwise is disingeuous and breeds more both sides bullshit.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
The unfortunate thing I've learned, in my 36 years on this planet as a Queer Black person, is that the guiding hegemony in American politics is race.

Of all the identities I claim. Black, Queer, poor, disabled. I am most reminded, again and again, that I am Black first.

Until this country truly wrestles with its original sin, I feel that will always be the case.
I think everyone needs to listen to The Story of OJ at the very least to get a quick 4 min rundown of being black in America. And understand that no matter what you do how much they might say you're "one of the good ones" you're still just a nigger to them. Hardest lesson I ever learned in college, after being sheltered growing up. Came home questioning everything.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
in the majority opinion alito writes basically "this ruling only impacts abortion and no other potential consideration of other topics stemming from inherent right to privacy, pinky swear!!" lmao

Not really. Alito mentions Obergefell and Lawrence as not "real" rights specifically. They are telegraphing their next moves.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Too many people on this forum think that just because the Dems have control they should do whatever the hell they want.

I think many of you aren't actually interested in a functioning democracy if your response to this injustice tonight is "blame the dems."

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
It was, for years. But now the GOP has gone further right wing and has gained support for more radical issues. They no longer need to parrot Roe V. Wade to get people to vote for them, when they have the made up nonsense of CRT and the ever growing homophobia and transphobia as well.

It's just horrifying how truly fucking soulless these Republican fucks are
Yeah, I'm terrified to see what the next big issue is. And you're right, they have these cultist so locked in that the abortion issue might not be so necessary to assure votes these days.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Whelp, there it is. For those keeping score, Abortion now becomes immediately illegal in about half the states. Also all of the Abortion laws facing legal challenges now immediately go into effect.

And if you think the Pro-Life folks are going to stop here, you're nuts. There's already planned bans on the table to arrest women who obtain abortions out of state, outlaw contraceptives, and even eliminate "life of the mother" clauses for things like ectopic pregnancies.

Hellwarden

Oct 25, 2017
Thinking it's a good thing Maryland expanded who could give abortions recently.

Might lose abortion rights in Virginia in the next couple years.