• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017
Don't even try reasoning with this bull shit, its just cover to blame Obama and democrats.
its like people forget what happened with Obamacare. It killed off Dems majority in both houses and made Obama basically a lame duck. And even ACA was stripped down from its original form by one pos "democrat" turned independent. so no way would an abortion bill had passed.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Let's blame the woman or the Black man.

Playing the greatest hits tonight.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I'm sorry what's wrong with the statement? Are we just going by the one quote picked out for the Twitter headline?

They basically called the conservative justices liars and called the impending opinion an abomination. Schumer as of now doesn't have the votes to do anything and Manchin/Sinema at minimum aren't going to let him do anything about it. The House/Pelosi isn't even the issue here.

Oct 25, 2017
Let's blame the woman or the Black man.

Playing the greatest hits tonight.
Was he even an American? Lets see if we can pull that shit up.

Thread about the largest GOP majority in an activist court overturning a right that was around before my mom was able to have a child is being blamed on the failure of democrats. Shits wild.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
The House isn't the problem for an abortion bill (the Senate is) but maybe they should drop support for Cuellar in his primary now lol

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's not America. If this country can normalize children being murdered in school as a rite of passage to adulthood, this too will be normalized.

I cannot name a single time in my life where rampant protest made a difference aside from awareness. It's never manifested as action in America. The people and the politics have largely been severed where it really matters.
It also seems that when we did have a whole summer of protests for BLM the last election that it didn't really help the dems. they just scraped by with a victory with the thinnest of margins. And lots of dems are convinced the protests did more harm than good.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
The GOP has regrettably failed to face consequences for anything in recent memory, and I expect overturning Roe will be no different.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
If we're gonna yell at Obama it should be for not trying to seat Garland and seeing what happens.

That was the thing he could have tried that would have stopped this

It's not clear if it would have worked but it was something

Nola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
No he didn't. He had for less than a few months and that was only on paper cause senator Byrd was hospitalized and Al Franken wasn't sworn in til 7 months after Obama was elected
Much like today with the Dem majority and Biden and his pathetic SC committee that he once promised on the campaign trail to try and use to right the obvious wrongs committed by his opposition, Democrats have long put adherence to outdated bureaucratic norms and processes, a disdain for radical reform, above doing what is necessary to save this country in a period of oppositional radicalization and illiberal governance. Like then, the solution was simple, get rid of the filibuster and pass all the necessary reforms and dare the Republicans to explicitly roll them back. We aren't gonna get that though, so what we are left with currently is switching between a slower and accelerated version of Republican driven illiberal decline. Slightly slower when Democrats hold power, faster when they don't. But make no mistake, when they do hold power, they are incapable of reversing anything in a meaningful capacity while their opposition uses other levels of government to still slowly advance their agenda

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
Obama did have a supermajority.

For a total of 4 months. With the 60th vote being an independent senator who had endorsed his anti-abortion opponent in the 2008 election.

Would you rather spend political capital getting real healthcare protections for millions of uninsured Americans back then or pick a fight on an issue that wasn't perceived to be in danger at that time?

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
I think you are terribly naive. In your life has anything been totally fair? It can be biased for you or against you. I don't see that as 'rigged'. I proposed a solution. You propose lieing flat and nihilism. You know what's really rigged? Living in a country like China where you can't vote at all and any political participation by the proletariat is theater. We narrowly avoided Trump a second time by voting, if the American people struggle, they can overcome gerrymandered districts and unfavorable electoral maps.

I never said anything about laying flat, I just exposed the contradiction in your statement. It's not about being 'fair,' that's just your weird Boomer-ish flavor you chose to add to this. I said you can't have it both ways, and you can't.

You can't just shout vote, vote, vote when the voting matters less and less. Clinton won the popular vote by over three million votes, but lost because of less than 10,000 across 3 states. Gerrymandering, voter suppression, the gutting of the Voting Rights Act, the electoral college, etc. are all things that are making voting mean less and have less impact. Not to mention the GOP are setting things up to just throw out results of elections that aren't in their favor in the near future.

You call me naive, but ironically, it's the opposite here as you think that voting alone is going to save us. It's not, because people are already voting, they're voting in mass. But the system is rigged against them and will continue to do so until voting is largely meaningless.

And that's what I was pointing out. You, like a lot to people, want to have an easy target to point out so you can punch down on whatever targets (young people, minorities, queers, leftists, DINOs, etc.) and then when things don't pan out you can blame those groups again.

Voting is just one part of the puzzle, and it a part that is slowly becoming less relevant. No one is saying not to vote, but if all you care about is voting, you're in for a rude awakening in the next several years.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
If we're gonna yell at Obama it should be for not trying to seat Garland and seeing what happens.

What are you even talking about, that's not a power the President has.

It's like saying he should have fired Alito.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
Much like today with the Dem majority and Biden and his pathetic SC committee that he once promised on the campaign trail to try and use to right the obvious wrongs committed by his opposition, Democrats have long put adherence to outdated bureaucratic norms and processes, a disdain for radical reform, above doing what is necessary to save this country in a period of oppositional radicalization and illiberal governance. Like then, the solution was simple, get rid of the filibuster and pass all the necessary reforms and dare the Republicans to explicitly roll them back.
You mean like they did with the Supreme Court? They absolutely would. There's little doubt of that

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
I guess I was too subtle for you. Having 60 Democratic senators =/= having 60 votes for codifying Roe into law. No fuckin senator from South Dakota or Arkansas is voting for that bill.

You do realize how demoralizing "vote blue no matter who" is when dems can't get shit done even with 60 senators right? Let alone the current setup where they have the presidency and both houses. Somehow there's always an excuse for the dems.

PunchyMalone

May 1, 2018
She's right though. We have been saying this for that long. Fall the fuck in line like republicans do or suffer the consequences. It's that fucking simple.

You do realize Biden is the president and the dems control the house and senate, right?

Blaming leftists who have absolutely no political power, for stuff thats happening on the dems watch is real silly shit.

wisdom0wl

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
people out here blaming Barack Obama for not codifying abortion rights when a bastardized version of the ACA barely squeaked by?

what in tarnation

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
Much like today with the Dem majority and Biden and his pathetic SC committee that he once promised on the campaign trail to try and use to right the obvious wrongs committed by his opposition, Democrats have long put adherence to outdated bureaucratic norms and processes, a disdain for radical reform, above doing what is necessary to save this country in a period of oppositional radicalization and illiberal governance. Like then, the solution was simple, get rid of the filibuster and pass all the necessary reforms and dare the Republicans to explicitly roll them back.

Yeah the substance of why Obama couldn't do it isn't very flattering is it

He had to lie and break his explicit promise because he decided to try and reach across the aisle and respect the norms and procedures of the Senate where his opponents were just pretending to negotiate to make things as toxic as possible and sink his Presidency.

And it gets really depressing when you realise it's all just happened again with Biden's first term

MorganFreakman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
[/QUOTE]
Also just old as hell. Pretty much the entire leadership is 70+ years old. Nancy Pelosi, for example, was born in 1940 and has been the minority/majority leader since 2003! They are out of touch. I'd love to see a breakdown that shows the % of dem voters younger than the democratic congressional leadership. Have to think its at least 80%

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
this is the republican's final gambit. if we all vote, we can stop them from regaining power again.

losing sight of our power is the worst thing to do right now.

I gave 12 years of my life to this country (Air Force), I've voted in every election, that I've been able to vote in (minus 2008 as I was deployed to Iraq and wasn't really focused on voting).

All I've seen since I turned 18 is the Republican party constantly fuck things up to the tune of a 20 year war that accomplished nothing (and gave me really bad anxiety/possibly PTSD), a ruined economy, a massive bungle of a pandemic, another ruined economy.

I just turned 40 a couple of months ago. That's all my adult life has been. It's been nothing but a colossal shit-show by a bunch of religious lunatics.

Now, these assholes are set to take even more rights away because they have the Bible shoved up their asses.

I'm sick and fucking tired of getting screwed over by these assholes, and I'm sick and tired of seeing people I care about get screwed over by these assholes.

The issue I have with saying, just vote, is that it's a message that's just fallen on deaf ears to Democrats over and over and over.

Hopefully, this is the wake-up call that gets people to wake the FUCK up and see what's actually going on.

Am I pissed, hell yes I am.

I used to love this country, but that love is gone. I'm going to continue to vote and do my part, but any love I had is gone, and it's hanging out with the less angry, anxious person I was before I joined the military.

The only minor solace I can take is that my wife and I are completing a move to California and getting out of the racist shit-hole that is South Dakota.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
It also seems that when we did have a whole summer of protests for BLM the last election that it didn't really help the dems. they just scraped by with a victory with the thinnest of margins. And lots of dems are convinced the protests did more harm than good.
Maybe they did tbh. It seems clear that what we and BLM want at this point is not popular with half the country

Oct 25, 2017

And it wouldn't have done a damn thing to change the current makeup of the court. So now we blame RBG, right?

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
For a total of 4 months. With the 60th vote being an independent senator who had endorsed his anti-abortion opponent in the 2008 election.

Would you rather spend political capital getting real healthcare protections for millions of uninsured Americans back then or pick a fight on an issue that wasn't perceived to be in danger at that time?
So I'm just going to point out, again, making Row a law wouldn't have done shit. The Supreme Court can overturn laws, that's literally why they are considered a check on the rest of the government. It would have taken a literal constitutional amendment to prevent this and that was never on the table.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
You do realize Biden is the president and the dems control the house and senate, right?

Blaming leftists who have absolutely no political power, for stuff thats happening on the dems watch is real silly shit.
The dems had control after the 2016 elections? That's news to me. This is happening because some people abstained or voted Jill Stein in 2016 in states that mattered.
Any kind of federal law pertaining to abortion without a constitutional amendment will just have the conservatives make up new reasoning to justify why it's not constitutional.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The GOP has regrettably failed to face consequences for anything in recent memory, and I expect overturning Roe will be no different.

I mean if this and the whole attempting to overthrow a presidential election doesn't do it, nothing will. And they know it.

Things are only going to get worse from here. If they have the house, senate, presidency, and supreme court come January 2025, it is legit over for this country even pretending it is a functional democracy. And I don't think that is unlikely outcome.

viandante

Apr 24, 2020
someone plz correct me if i'm wrong.. but is the general idea with this supreme court that the federal government can only guarantee rights that are specifically in constitution?

so theoretically red states can do whatever they want (except legalize chattel slavery) and the same for blue states?

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas

That's not how SCOTUS works. Due to it's nature, a SCOTUS made up of different idealogies can happen that are different from the party currently in power at the executive and legislative levels. Biden has been able to appoint just 1 SCOTUS seat so far on a SCOTUS that was already heavily conservative.

JimD

Aug 17, 2018
Well, it sure seems to work for Republicans

Because that hasn't been their strategy. Increased gerrymandering, pushing ideological zealots behind the bench, dogwhistle appeals to the far right, and redefining a media landscape that continues to skew to conservatives have been far more effective. As a voting block right wing and center right voters have been all the place. But Republicans in government have been winning battles without much response from the opposition.

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City

Blame isn't a part of the equation. It's simple math, if Dems controlled the scotus things like this wouldn't happen. Some people just have to blame someone for it and that is just a distraction. The reasons why don't matter, what matters is if we succeed or not.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
What are you even talking about, that's not a power the President has.

It's like saying he should have fired Alito.

No it's not. The constitution is less clear about how necessary passing the Senate is and he could have recess appointed him and then the only thing that could have happened to stop it would have been an impeachment.

It's probably not intentionally in his power but there are articles in the NYT and Wapo floating this as a possibility at the time.

Most of the mainstream thinking is that he shouldn't try it due to norms but there were constitutional scholars that either thought he explicitly could or that the constitution had much more gray area than most folks think

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
someone plz correct me if i'm wrong.. but is the general idea with this supreme court that the federal government can only guarantee rights that are specifically in constitution?

so theoretically red states can do whatever they want (except legalize chattel slavery) and the same for blue states?

We only have leaked drafts of the opinion so we don't know yet but it's looking like Alito is saying certain rights are rooted in tradition, and certain rights (abortion) aren't, and so the ones not rooted in tradition are optional.

It is of course complete hokum and basically the Court has decided the outcome it wants (abortion banned) and the reasoning is an afterthought.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
If I can chime in here and give some context to all of this shitflinging: this goes further back than 2016, y'all.

Who stole the election in 2000? Who started a taste test for minority rule? Blaming Obama or the Bernard Brothers or RBG is missing the fact one party has cheated and been underhanded the entirety of this century, and they've never once been punished to the degree they should have.

Chris Hedges called this shit out 15 years ago. His book American Fascists painted this a decade and a half ago.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
No it's not. The constitution is less clear about how necessary passing the Senate is and he could have recess appointed him and then the only thing that could have happened to stop it would have been an impeachment.

It's probably not intentionally in his power but there are articles in the NYT and Wapo floating this as a possibility at the time
The Senate never recessed, so there could be no recess appointment.

Oct 27, 2017
So I'm just going to point out, again, making Row a law wouldn't have done shit. The Supreme Court can overturn laws, that's literally why they are considered a check on the rest of the government. It would have taken a literal constitutional amendment to prevent this and that was never on the table.
Exactly this.

The only thing that would ostensibly have prevented this (other than the very obvious Trump defeat in 2016) would be successfully convening a constitutional amendment codifying the right to abortion - and when you look at the kind of majority on both the state and federal level that such an act would require, it's an absolute fucking pipe dream.

Adder7806

Dec 16, 2018
Easy to see why the Fascist Republicans are winning right in this thread. Lot of people are eager and content to point the finger at Democrats and ignore the the ones actually responsible - anyone who doesn't vote and support Democrats 100% of the time. If you don't, you're just helping the enemy.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
If I can chime in here and give some context to all of this shitflinging: this goes further back than 2016, y'all.

Who stole the election in 2000? Who started a taste test for minority rule? Blaming Obama or the Bernard Brothers or RBG is missing the fact one party has cheated and been underhanded the entirety of this century, and they've never once been punished to the degree they should have.

Chris Hedges called this shit out 15 years ago.

Facts are facts, people.