• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Winter Melon

Oct 29, 2017
The MOST REALISTIC way to overturn this decision is the following:

- Win the swing elections in 2022 midterms to get 52-53 democratic senate seats.
- Repeal the filibuster and then codify Roe v. Wade.

This is very doable and we can have this done and guarantee abortion rights by JANUARY 2023. Not decades. It's way more likely than packing the court (FDR, the most popular Democratic President ever with huge Dem majorities in Congress couldn't do it), getting rid of the Supreme Court, or whatever other crazy ideas have been proposed.

The Supreme Court ruling a Congressional Act unconstitutional is EXTREMELY RARE and it certainly won't do it for a 50-year Supreme Court precedent codified into law. This is the best way forward.

Stop blaming the democratic party, Bernie, Obama, RBG - the very people who have been protecting abortion rights for decades. If you're mad: go out and protest, then volunteer, canvass, do everything you can to get more democratic seats into the House/Senate this November.

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
No, I don't.

The Dems suck at politicking. They suck at drafting legislation. They even suck at retiring (RBG) and this is the culmination of their ineptitude.

Yes, we all get it the Repubs are evil, etc. But we *knew* that going in. Reading the letter that RBG wrote to the Senate before she passed made my fucking head spin. She honestly expected McConnell to do the right thing? Are these fucking people paying attention??

Trump didn't get anything substantial passed over 4 years besides the tax cut. He failed multiple times trying to repeal ACA and to get funding for a wall. He did succeed at appointing a lot of judges, something that Biden is also currently doing.

Your expectations for Dems are way out of whack compared to how little Republicans expect out of their politicians yet still reliably vote for them.

Treestump

Mar 28, 2018
For users in Michigan:

www.mobilize.us

Find out How to Sign Reproductive Freedom for All! · Reproductive Freedom for All

Help Reproductive Freedom for All qualify for the November 2022 Ballot by signing our petition! Completing this form does not constitute a valid petition signature. After completing the form, you will receive instructions for signing the petition. To qualify for the November 2022 ballot...

We need signatures to get this on the November ballot.
Will sign and get my family to as well. Thanks for this.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of endgame, what is the endgame here?

I have talked to so many people who call themselves 'pro-life', none of them will talk about it. They act like getting rid of Roe is some panacea. Poof, there goes abortion. All the while they tell me gun control won't work, because a criminal will always find a way to get a gun.

So how does this work, what are the logistics? How are we not going to punish women? You have made an act illegal, how do you only punish one party?
From what I've observed, a lot of conservatism draws on the appeal of rose-tinted nostalgia. "Remember back in the [insert older decade] when [insert newer progressive policy] didn't exist? Wasn't society so much more peaceful and orderly back then." Now that's all a big fucking lie, but there definitely are some people who think that this is just part of the process of restoring the "Good ol' America" they remembered.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Repeal the filibuster, admit Washington DC and Puerto Rico as states, pass sweeping voting rights legislation, bar partisan media (such as reintroducing the fairness doctrine) and crackdown on the dissemination of misinformation via social media, motivate the justice department to ferret out the corruption in the Republican Party and, when evidence allows, jail prominent politicians, pack the Supreme Court in the short term and, in the long term, reform it into a more balanced entity whose non-partisan nature can be enforced.

The end goal being to create a landscape where the Republican party, as it currently exists, cannot succeed on a national level, forcing it to either wither and die or undergo a fundamental transformation. Then we can have an opposition party that marginalizes the fringe element, but can still act as a healthy counterpoint to a strong American left.

Do the Democrats have the means to do this? No. But it's nice to dream.
Just as a note, the fairness doctrine only applied to anything over publicly owned airwaves. So stuff like CBS, NBC, and ABC all had to abide by it, but it would have never applied to FOX News or any of the nonsense on the internet. You'd pretty much have to totally rewrite it from scratch and figure out how to make it work in our modern age (which I'm not sure is possible, given the existence of social media and extremist blogs). It would be nice if we could figure it out though.

May 26, 2018
Repeal the filibuster, admit Washington DC and Puerto Rico as states, pass sweeping voting rights legislation, bar partisan media (such as reintroducing the fairness doctrine) and crackdown on the dissemination of misinformation via social media, motivate the justice department to ferret out the corruption in the Republican Party and, when evidence allows, jail prominent politicians, pack the Supreme Court in the short term and, in the long term, reform it into a more balanced entity whose non-partisan nature can be enforced.

The end goal being to create a landscape where the Republican party, as it currently exists, cannot succeed on a national level, forcing it to either wither and die or undergo a fundamental transformation. Then we can have an opposition party that marginalizes the fringe element, but can still act as a healthy counterpoint to a strong American left.

Do the Democrats have the means to do this? No. But it's nice to dream.

America worships cruelty and corruption. It doesn't matter who you switch out because the system doesn't want to get better. Quickly will more come to continue the culture, for there is nothing else with power.

There are others who dream but they will soon no longer matter either...

Europe and Asia better be getting their shit together to run independently of American aid because this nightmare land will turn on them all, just as surely as it will turn on itself and sever its own limbs out of cannibalistic hunger.

Oct 25, 2017
You can't cast any aspersion against the Dems.

Even though I'm not quite sure why.

Everyone is rightfully mad and is grieving and I understand the need for people to be able to process this in their own way.

My method of processing is to try and understand how we got here and how to avoid it in the future. If we can't figure out how to fix it then we are doomed to repeat it. I hate where we are, and I am horrified by it, full stop. And I don't believe that we ever did anything wrong, I just also don't believe that we did enough.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
This is pretty unprecedented though as well, as this is the first time I can think of where an existing right has been TAKEN away. Have to see how Americans react to this.

the only closest thing i can recall was gay marriage legalized in california through the court system and then banned by voters.

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
Not the first time exactly. There was also Prohibition that banned the sale and distribution of alcohol. It lasted awhile but was repealed relatively quickly. Don't see abortion being the same, though
Drinking alcohol has never been a universal right nation wide. Still isn't with many dry counties. So I would not call that the same thing.

Jun 22, 2019
republicans are bad people. when they go low, step on them.

drive-elevator.gif

Smiley90

Oct 25, 2017
I'm speechless. Just truly, utterly, speechless. 1960's, here we come. I feel so incredibly bad for every poor women in trigger states, and every woman and American in general. What's next?

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
What is it with some people on the left where they treat Republicans like unaccountable forces of nature with no more agency than an earthquake or tsunami?

You could have a republican shit in the middle of the street and you'd have some posters finding a way to blame a democrat for not finding them a bathroom.

because that thinking is easier. no further reasoning needed.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of endgame, what is the endgame here?

I have talked to so many people who call themselves 'pro-life', none of them will talk about it. They act like getting rid of Roe is some panacea. Poof, there goes abortion. All the while they tell me gun control won't work, because a criminal will always find a way to get a gun.

So how does this work, what are the logistics? How are we not going to punish women? You have made an act illegal, how do you only punish one party?
Over the next 4 years or so it'll be a push towards a federal abortion ban.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I hope that the Supreme Court are ready for a lot of riots to happen all over this country, & for a majority of Republicans in Congress & everywhere else to lose this year. I also happen to be a pro-choice male.

It's also the fault of the following:
  1. The DNC for running Hillary Clinton back in 2016 against Trump, knowing all of the baggage that she & her husband had for decades from the Republican/GQP Party & from right-wing media propaganda. Bernie should've won the presidential nomination instead, & if he were the nominee back then, he would've definitely won. But the DNC had screwed him over all because he was a progressive & not another corporate, neoliberal Democrat.
  2. People in 2016 sitting in their homes & apartments & not getting their lazy asses out there to vote for Hillary to begin with.
  3. Bill Clinton, Barack Obama & Joe Biden for not having things like Roe V. Wade signed into law, especially when Obama was President, as he had control of all three branches of Government with a supermajority in the legislature. They've completely failed on that front.
This was exactly why I've been screaming from the rooftops that something like this was going to happen everywhere & what happens when people keep voting for corporate, neoliberal Democrats, including on this forum. And I lost my posting privileges on this forum over this shit.

They only do the bare minimum & nothing else. They don't care about us poor & middle class people; They only care about insider trading & dark &/or bribe money from their rich corporate masters (corporations, donors, lobbyists & from Wall Street). They're absolutely no better than Republicans are in whom they've been getting Russian money from Putin.

Current Democrats (with the exceptions of everyone from the Congressional Progressive Caucus) are center-right while Republicans are now far-right. This entire scenario has me fucking livid.
Lol, this post so perfectly illustrates the problem. Five right-wing justices, appointed by a Republican president and senate, are going to overturn Roe. And you write a long ass post about how the DNC, Joe Biden, Barack Obama, and a majority of congressional Democrats are the ones to blame. How in the world do you expect Republicans to lose in the midterms when Democratic voters castigate Democrats for Republican policies?

ZedLilIndPum

Oct 27, 2017
Will be fun to see mainstream press obsess over "unprecedented leak" rather than, ummm, the unprecedented decision.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Women are about to lose fundamental control over their bodies and trolls are up in here trying to shit up another thread with Democrat hate.

Shameful behavior.

Yeah just baffling why people would be mad that after a whole election cycle of begging us for our money and votes they deliver us jack shit in return and consistently side with protecting corporate interests rather than people.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
If you're mad: go out and protest, then volunteer, canvass, do everything you can to get more democratic seats into the House/Senate this November.

I'm not gonna canvass for folks who are actively supporting a pro-life Dem over a pro-choice one in my state. Not only that, I have limited bandwidth so I'd rather spend it helping abortion funds and trans folks in my community.

I feel the electoral process is not going to do much for my community.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
I'm speechless. Just truly, utterly, speechless. 1960's, here we come. I feel so incredibly bad for every poor women in trigger states, and every woman and American in general. What's next?

anti-gay marriage (and anti-trans) rights. i'm sure they'd love to roll back segregation too ('it's not a big deal anymore and the states should really decide').

Akainu

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everywhere and nowhere
No chance. There's no defensible Christian/Jewish philosophy behind banning interracial marriage, unlike abortion and gay marriage. And the modern US conservative movement is based on winning epic debates using Christian/Jewish philosophy.

Plus they need their multiracial coalition of conservatives for the future.
Marsha Blackburn and Mike Braun already gave away the game. The argument is gonna be "states rights".

blue_whale

Nov 1, 2017
Things aren't fair in this world, and to expect them to fair is terribly naive. You are supposed to overcome challenges. If the deck is stacked against, you just need to be win by an even greater margin. Defeatists start blaming the system, but we all are part of the system, and short of revolution the system is not going to change. We have to vote for Democrats for the House, for the Senate and for the Presidency regardless of which state you are in. As long as this ruling matters to you. I guess if you don't give a shit then just give up I don't know.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Drinking alcohol has never been a universal right nation wide. Still isn't with many dry counties. So I would not call that the same thing.

I mean, yes, but the same can be said of abortion as well. There's lots of places, and have been since the original Roe ruling, where you couldn't really get an abortion or had to jump through hoops. Prohibition was even an amendment at one point before being repealed. So it's 100% comparable in the sense that it once was generally legal and then that legal right was taken away. The two acts are, obviously, different, but it's probably the only time something of that nature that impacted people on that near-universal level to take away a certain right has occurred

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Trump didn't get anything substantial passed over 4 years besides the tax cut. He failed multiple times trying to repeal ACA and to get funding for a wall. He did succeed at appointing a lot of judges, something that Biden is also currently doing.

Your expectations for Dems are way out of whack compared to how little Republicans expect out of their politicians yet still reliably vote for them.

They don't want to pass legislation. They're more than content with obstructing any major bills being passed while they quietly remake the courts and legislate through the judicial branch.

No party will ever have 60 votes again. At least not in the foreseeable future.

There is no more major legislation that is going to be passed.

So if we don't figure out how to combat this... This is only the opening salvo.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Some blue check already has a post up requesting prayers for the families of the conservative Justices who will be putting this in motion. Lol

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Lol, this post so perfectly illustrates the problem. Five right-wing justices, appointed by a Republican president and senate, are going to overturn Roe. And you write a long ass post about how the DNC, Joe Biden, Barack Obama, and a majority of congressional Democrats are the ones to blame. How in the world do you expect Republicans to lose in the midterms when Democratic voters castigate Democrats for Republican policies?
If Hillary or another rightful nominee had won the 2016 election against Trump, we wouldn't be having three right-wing justices on the SC to begin with. Plus yes, it is Obama & Biden's fault, as they could've easily had shit like Roe V. Wade into law. They're as neoliberal as they come.

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017
Shit's about to get real now. When Roe is officially overturned, it will be a turning point in this country. I expect lots of buildings burning and officials cowering talking about "the mob!" or whatever.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
I see my favorite hot take floating around: One party system, it is just that Dems provide cover for Reps

fragamemnon

Nov 30, 2017
federal ban on abortion is just the new carrot for votes and the GOP party platform bullet item on the 'family' powerpoint slide.

alito literally wrote exactly how states should assault anything they don't like, that's the next step in all of this

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Can't wait to start the new underground railroad, a service to help poor women get abortions in states where they are legally allowed to do so.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
If Hillary or another rightful nominee had won the 2016 election against Trump, we wouldn't be having three right-wing justices on the SC to begin with. Plus yes, it's all Obama & Biden's fault, as they could've easily signed Roe V. Wade into law.
This wouldn't have stopped this and you should know that. The Supreme Court has always had the power to overturn laws, making it a law wouldn't have done shit to stop this.

SerAardvark

Oct 25, 2017
What does Nacy Pelosi's daughter have to do with this?

Stop being deliberately obtuse. There is no more meaningful way to participate in politics than dunking on people's tweets.

The Democrats could definitely have been better in different ways, but if you're gut reaction to this decision is to use it as ammuntion to continue expressing your political grievances (particularly if you're really just mad about student debt or whatever) maybe try considering the fate for people actually affected by a monumental case like this and those who might be affected by other, similar, case law that may not be threatened. It's not always about you.

Bacalao

Oct 27, 2017
So once Republicans inevitably take back the Senate + Presidency that's a wrap for the US, right? I feel like once that happens we'll cross the point of no return and something will have to give...