• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Folks in here blaming Obama now. Why can't folks just place the blame on the people actually doing the evil shit?

The people doing the evil should always be the core to blame, but evil people can do their evil often because of the inaction of those who are 'good.' I don't really see the issue in pointing that out. It may not help anything, but nothing that is occurring right now in this topic is really helping anything.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Black Voters are only considered heroes because we're instrumental in trying to help white liberals achieve the aims of things that help them, but those same liberals never return the fucking favor and actually make headway on the issues that affect us because they're "too divisive" or "the slogans are stupid."

Like holy shit I'm tired of propping y'all up and being heralded as a hero for voting for people who don't even like me. I don't want your fucking pedestal.

I want my fucking rights protected.

SPEAK ON IT

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
I think the idea of independent voters is imaginary and due to many can't wrap their minds around how bigoted and right wing most of America is. Yeah, someone is going to give me stats saying various leftist ideals poll well in Evangelicaltown, USA. But guaranteed if those questions added "…and black people would get these protections too" they would change their answers quick.
That's literally what's derailed universal healthcare ever since FDR tried to do it way way back.

MorganFreakman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think the point isn't that some minor aspects of the history of this shit can't be blamed on figures on the left, but that...I mean come on, it's pretty obvious who the actual threat is here
Most people on this board lean left. There really isn't much we can do regarding right wing politicians / nut-jobs. We can, and should, criticize our leaders when they fail us. They weren't innocent bystanders. Their decisions are part of the reason we are here. We let them steal 1 supreme court seat and gave the other away smh

Oct 25, 2017
Folks in here blaming Obama now. Why can't folks just place the blame on the people actually doing the evil shit?
Why blame the people responsible when you can blame Obama? Fuck it, blame RBG. Anyone else we ant to blame rather than placing it squarely where it belongs? Republicans and those that didn't vote cause it didn't matter.

Oct 25, 2017
If I remember correctly, he didn't have the full support of the Democrats then to do it. Yes had the 60, but not all 60 would have voted to pass it. That's the problem with Democrats, they don't work as a full unit. Republicans can because they all agree to love literal shit together.

Republicans aren't really unified on legislation either. There's a reason why we've been living on reconciliation for 15 years now.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Just so we're clear about what's next here, what other social rights have conservatives hated similarly to Roe? Gay rights and the ACA are likely the next things to be destroyed. Is interracial marriage also a target? The fact I even has to ask that is absurd, but America sucks ass and this is something the Christian fascist movement has a real issue with.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Nah this party always stops short of doing the right thing in the name of pragmatism. Or... Hubris. Whatever the fuck prevented RBG from stepping away when she was fucking 80. Looks like this is going to be a 5-4 ruling. RBG steps down when she should and Roe isn't overturned.

It's not as if the Republicans hid their desire. Yeah, they suck we all get it. This party still fucking blew it.

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck every vile piece of shit who backs this absolute fucking bullshit.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly both the Democrats and the Republicans are to blame here. The Democrats have done jack shit to codify Roe v Wade into law to actually protect the precedent it sets. Fuck the Republicans pushing to change it and fuck all the democrats who are consistently more interested in protecting corporate interests than human beings.
As far as I'm aware, Dems aren't the ones trying to take away your rights. But sure, fuck the Dems.

Instead of blaming people, you all should be looking for a way so in the future the zealots can't pass their abhorrent agenda.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
if obama had ~codified roe into law~ we'd be in the same position we are now, because the supreme court has the power to overturn laws and parts of laws and the current court is pretty open about their willingness to throw out any kind of precedent on partisan grounds.

TheFatOne

Oct 27, 2017
Blaming Obama, RBG, etc is just wasting energy and time at this point. They had smaller parts in this overall then the GOP. Need to focus on the people who made this happen over the last 50 years.

ngower

Nov 20, 2017
Skimmed the opinion and not great. At the very least it's a highlight of the roadmap they're laying out for future "controversial" cases.

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
The lack of participation from the Democrats and Independents is unlike on the Republicans side.

The R's vote religiously for their candidates. D's don't. For whatever reason.
You answered your own question. Republicans successfully tied themselves directly to the worst aspects of Christianity.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
Nah I don't agree.

We knew this was going to happen if they had the power to change it... It's not as if this was some unexpected turn of events. It's us vs them.

This is a right that many people fundamentally believe in. But they didn't vote/legislate/step down when they needed to for the greater good. This party let us down. Again.
Do you seriously think a so-called Senate supermajority that couldn't even pass a healthcare plan with a public option was capable of codifying Roe?

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
Y'all, the machine responsible for this was set in motion before RBG ever lined her robes with that iconic white lace.

Stop looking for simple scapegoats. It's basic behavior. We're talking high concept shit here.

It takes a thousand things to get us here, yes — conservatives have been building to this for close to 50 years, and Trump pulled the trigger, but am I going to tell anyone not to be mad at Ginsburg when she refused to do the obvious thing for the sake of ego and wanting to get to be there for a big history moment when a woman appointed her replacement? Nah. She fucked up. A thousand things led to this, but one smart decision from her would have given us years more to work with, and she didn't take it. The game is high concept shit, but when you lose on a play decided by inches, people are going to nitpick the play calls.

The Democratic electorate as a whole failed, it never cared about this shit until it was too late, and got itself tied in knots fighting over picayune shit instead — everything was lost in 2016 because of stupid infighting and shortsightedness, and we've just been waiting six years for the axe to drop — but one person really did have the power to put us in a better spot, was smart enough to know it, and just didn't.

And yeah, we shouldn't be looking back, should be focused on what we can do now, but the answer is not much in the short to medium term. The numbers in Congress aren't there to do anything at the federal level, and you can try to do things at the state level for the next year or two to make sure as many people as possible can go to other states to get it done, but barring a massive reversal of electoral fortunes, there are high odds of a filibuster-proof GOP majority in 2025, and a federal abortion ban along with it. This is going to be a decades long fight to get back to where we were.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
It's just ridiculous to me that this country is allowing 50 different corrupt, partisan, sometimes religious extremist states to each decide the fate of people's entire lives, just because they happen to live there. It's a fundamental failure of the fine print of the Constitution as it stands to do what its big sweeping statements guarantee. (I know this isn't exactly a new fact, just let me vent)

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
But conservatives: R v W has been around for 50 years.

Isn't change bad? Don't we have to preserve history? Your dads were in power when this court case was submitted: aren't they going to be "rolling around" to see someone changing the laws?

Wasn't Obama able to do a recess nomination, but didn't?
No the Senate never went into recess and if he had done that it would have been an unprecedented constitutional crisis that likely would have caused the nominee to not be recognized as a legitimate justice.
Beyond which, recess appointments aren't permanent, they only last until the end of the Congress in question. Trump would still have gotten to appoint a new justice even if Obama had made a recess appointment for a few months (which, to be clear, he could not).

ZSaberLink

Oct 26, 2017
Doesn't a lot of the reason that the Supreme Court holds this much power is because Congress refuses to legislate anymore? Like Congress is allowed to pass laws and with state cooperation even amend the constitution. Instead they haven't done anything really in decades.

The Supreme Court has historically been mostly a conservative body. Black voting rights were held back decades because of it. Eventually laws were made around this.

Also while of course the Republicans and Mitch McConnell are to blame for this, I'm still pissed off at the number of things Dems managed to let slide. RBG should've retired when asked under Obama. Dems should've codified Roe v Wade into law. Dems should've done a much better job of holding up McConnell Court appointments. Like if McConnell could sit there and hold up nominations for a year, Dems couldn't have come up with a dumbass excuse to hold up Barrett's nomination for like 40 days? (Edit I obviously know McConnell + republicans had the senate majority and that's why he could do this. It's just infuriating that having the majority of one house can control things like this. Everything in the Senate are arcane rules that can change if need be. Republicans will do anything to get what they want, whereas Dems are meek and constantly try to "do the right thing" in politics rather than being ruthless to get the right outcome).

I also do think folks thinking this country is just dead is a bit hyperbolic. I'm extremely pissed off too, but just saying "we're doomed" is just giving up. Thankfully laws aren't permanent and let's put up a fight on this. If you're able to vote in the US, you have no excuse now

Last edited:

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
i know codifying RvW or whatever legislatively is sexy topic of discussion and all right now but this very draft has made it clear this majority would throw any federal law into the fire as well. the logic they're using is nothing short of a constitutional amendment should be able to grant the unfettered right to abortion.

if you're relitigating politics from 2009 or whatever and playing woulda coulda shoulda with hindsight on what the political landscape of today would look like had the fresh Obama administration attempted to codify RvW well then, I have nothing for that. that's your own fun thought exercise to play with.

Hecht

Blue light comes around
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Most people on this board lean left. There really isn't much we can do regarding right wing politicians / nut-jobs. We can, and should, criticize our leaders when they fail us. They weren't innocent bystanders. Their decisions are part of the reason we are here. We let them steal 1 supreme court seat and gave the other away smh
I basically said that we can look at people on the left who played a role. But when people are pointing at them as the inciting event or the sole cause of this, they've lost the plot. This shit's been in motion since the moment Roe was decided in the first place.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
But conservatives: R v W has been around for 50 years.

Isn't change bad? Don't we have to preserve history? Your dads were in power when this court case was submitted: aren't they going to be "rolling around" to see someone changing the laws?

"GodLOL"

That's going to be their answer. Literal fairy tales.

How many developed countries have negated abortion rights? Is America the king again?

Nov 3, 2021
Is interracial marriage also a target?
No chance. There's no defensible Christian/Jewish philosophy behind banning interracial marriage, unlike abortion and gay marriage. And the modern US conservative movement is based on winning epic debates using Christian/Jewish philosophy.

Plus they need their multiracial coalition of conservatives for the future.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
remember when 2016 happened and we watched the results as Trump won? That was a bad night.

How many nights have we collectively had since for similarly bad things? Feels like a lot
Yeah. I remember some of my friends comforting me that it won't be so bad. God they were so damn wrong. It was way worse than I ever imagined. And what's terrible is that things are looking bad in the future. Biden is not the strong leader to in act changes. Congress is in gridlock despite the initial prospect that they have majority. If A new SCOTUS judge nomination last month to go by, it won't be easy to do anything. Basically leave the red states behind. But like many have said here, that's not an option for many people especially the kind of people who would be most harmed by this.

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
It was a figure of speech.

What you're talking about is a separate issue.
ah fair. But yeah. I think they reason republicans get that type of vote is because they aligned themselves with the worst cult like aspects. Their platform is that anyone not a republican is coming for your family and your Christian religion and you have to fight for it.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Doesn't a lot of the reason that the Supreme Court holds this much power is because Congress refuses to legislate anymore? Like Congress is allowed to pass laws and with state cooperation even amend the constitution. Instead they haven't done anything really in decades.

This is technically true.

As someone (sorry I'm forgetting who) said earlier, the Judicial doesn't actually have the power to enforce its opinions. Congress, especially in coordination with the Executive, could easily render it irrelevant.

Good luck getting that type of cooperation these days, though.

Oct 25, 2017
Nobody in 2010 thought we would be in a situation where SC seats never get approved by the opposing party. This is a totally new paradigm shift in American history and it is extraordinarily lazy to think that was how everybody thought that was going to happen. Just pure laziness mixed with very online political trolling. People should feel bad about spouting retcon BS garbage.

whytemyke

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
It's just ridiculous to me that this country is allowing 50 different corrupt, partisan, sometimes religious extremist states to each decide the fate of people's entire lives, just because they happen to live there. It's a fundamental failure of the fine print of the Constitution as it stands to do what its big sweeping statements guarantee.
To the people who wrote it, though, it's a feature. They didn't want this country to really be anything but a confederacy of nations. It wasn't until Lincoln that politicians started to question whether we could do better.

And ultimately the country is being dragged backwards by oligarchs and fascists who are wielding their wealth to subjugate anyone who isn't super wealthy.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
If this is inevitable I really hope it spawns some of the largest demonstrations we've ever seen and results in a massive defeat of Republicans everywhere next election.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm wondering why Alito for the opinion and not Barrett. I thought the idea of the GOP putting a woman on the court was so they can point to her and say, "see, she's not a man and she decided to end Roe." Or maybe they just don't give a shit about appearances anymore.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Garbage country.
my spicy take is that perhaps instead of blaming the people who did not want this to happen, we should blame the people who have made it their life's mission to make this happen.

Pretty much.

The left attacking the left just benefits the right. It's always been like this.

The US is fucked, holy shit. What will the leftists do to repair the brains of the Q-anon bigots and brain dead idiots with too much Shapiro and Tucker Carlson in their minds?

GillianSeed79

Oct 27, 2017
Anybody not expecting this country to become full blown MAGA fascist land by 2024 is deluding themselves. Trump and the GOP already seized the judiciary years ago and for our lifetimes. Dems are going to get slaughtered in the midterms. Trump or Desantis or MAGA 2.0 will win the White House in 2024 thanks to voter suppression and the Dems inability to do jack shit in office. Shit is fucking grim. Just hoping I survive until retirement so I can get the fuck out of this shit hole.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Black Voters are only considered heroes because we're instrumental in trying to help white liberals achieve the aims of things that help them, but those same liberals never return the fucking favor and actually make headway on the issues that affect us because they're "too divisive" or "the slogans are stupid."

Like holy shit I'm tired of propping y'all up and being heralded as a hero for voting for people who don't even like me. I don't want your fucking pedestal.

I want my fucking rights protected.
100%
Yes, fuck the democrats. Inaction is culpability as far as I'm concerned. Voting does jack shit if the people you vote into office refuse to wield the power they've been given to protect people.
Yep. Doesn't fucking matter if we get senate/house seats if the Dems that the party props up immediately sell out the party platform when they get in office.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
if obama had ~codified roe into law~ we'd be in the same position we are now, because the supreme court has the power to overturn laws and parts of laws and the current court is pretty open about their willingness to throw out any kind of precedent on partisan grounds.

The problem with this sort of reasoning, and the parallel reasoning it couldn't get a supermajority, is then why did he even promise it?

And that question taps into a deeper frustration a lot of people feel that the Democrats treat it as something to campaign on, but not necessarily do.

Ensorcell

Oct 27, 2017

The Supreme Court has historically been mostly a conservative body. Black voting rights were held back decades because of it. Eventually laws were made around this.

Also while of course the Republicans and Mitch McConnell are to blame for this, I'm still pissed off at the number of things Dems managed to let slide. RBG should've retired when asked under Obama. Dems should've codified Roe v Wade into law. Dems should've done a much better job of holding up McConnell Court appointments. Like if McConnell could sit there and hold up nominations for a year, Dems couldn't have come up with a dumbass excuse to hold up Barrett's nomination for like 40 days?
Uh no they couldn't. McConnell had the Senate majority to stop Garland, the Dems did not have the power or majority to stop Barrett. It's a simple concept.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As far as I'm aware, Dems aren't the ones trying to take away your rights. But sure, fuck the Dems.

Yes, fuck the democrats. Inaction is culpability as far as I'm concerned. Voting does jack shit if the people you vote into office refuse to wield the power they've been given to protect people.