• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
I hate this country. I have no hope. I fully expect nationwide laws like gay marriage and 'sodomy' to be next since Alito specifically mentioned them
You can imagine a reality where (hypothetically) a Justice Gorsuch is a Roberts-like figure presiding over slow narrowings of Obergefell (à la Roe and Casey) an even more conservative justice votes to blow it up entirely. The goalposts are going to move.

"Empowering red states to regulate and ban abortion" is not the endgame. It's the opening act.

Valkrai

Oct 25, 2017
Hey berniebros, good job fuckers.

Lmao sounds about right. Its Bernie's supporters fault for doing something they have no control over.

Yes because Ginsburg, and not Trump, put these new justices into power.

I mean she could have retired and appoint somebody new. Maybe it was a bad idea to keep an 80 year old woman in office if that's the only thing that's supposedly protecting people's rights.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I'll never forgive Ruth Bader Ginsburg for her selfishness. She's the precipitating event for all of this

Calling her the precipitating event for this is too far, but I agree with the sentiment. It was incredibly shortsighted on her part not to retire. Even she herself said she said the symbol of American less as an eagle but as a seesaw, going back and forth. So she knew that eventually the GOP would have control again and with her age and already having one battle with cancer…I'll never be able to understand why she didn't step down at the moment when Obama still had the Senate. She's a legend and always will be, but the hubris of that will always haunt her legacy

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Hey berniebros, good job fuckers.
giphy.gif

MorganFreakman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
You can't honestly expect her to 4D chess and assume a total breakdown on order in 2013. Getting here required conservatives doing great on 2014, 2016, and 2018.
She had multiple battles with cancer. She was very old. You don't need a crystal ball to see an outcome like this. That's why she's was being pressured to retire 10 years ago

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
remember when 2016 happened and we watched the results as Trump won? That was a bad night.

How many nights have we collectively had since for similarly bad things? Feels like a lot

Scrobbles

Oct 25, 2017
Cannot believe that in 2022 we still have people unironically throwing around the term berniebro

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
Roe v Wade took about 50 years to overturn so on a similar time scale most of us won't live to see this overruled.

I honestly don't think we'll need to wait that long for other rights. Especially since conservatives and fascists no longer need go play the long game or hide their motives. We are seeing the acceleration of the decline, greater than prior decades.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
truly scary to think how far they will go and that their vision for an ideal america is rooted in such evil and bigotry. anyone who's not a rich white male will be at risk. this is really big and i just can only hope people take it seriously, but it seems these days no one takes anything seriously until it's too late.

CerealKi11a

Chicken Chaser
May 3, 2018
No there is no way around that. Joe Manchin is from a state that voted for Trump by 40 points. He has no political incentive at all to end the filibuster and pass legislation that would codify Roe.

Not to single you out but these convos often turn in a "Dems can do something but they just won't!" direction, when the sick reality is that when 1 or 2 senators in an evenly split Senate say no, then that's it. Sometimes there really is no way around it. It's not always a case of Dems as a party being insufficiently "do something" about the problem. In fact it often isn't!
The shit I hate about this is that the most impactful thing he will have ever done in his life and career would be to knowingly push the end to the filibuster for voting rights and codifying Abortion at the expense of his job. If he's worried about money he can be on some stupid news show. Unfortunately, he is not and can just get tossed in the GOP for all I care.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
my spicy take is that perhaps instead of blaming the people who did not want this to happen, we should blame the people who have made it their life's mission to make this happen.

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
I honestly don't think we'll need to wait that long for other rights. Especially since conservatives and fascists no longer need go play the long game or hide their motives. We are seeing the acceleration of the decline, greater than prior decades.

Exactly. 6-3 is much better for them to dismantle rights than 5-4. Roberts is no longer able to lean on folks.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
RGB could have made a politically wiser choice, but she didn't. That does not place the blame at her feet.

This is not Obama, Biden, Bernie, Hillary, RGB's fault folks. Get a damn grip.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020

He means we won't be alive to see abortion rights come back

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
The fact that a clerk was willing to leak this, something that hasn't happened in over 150 years, shows how dire this is.

This is DEFCON 1 shit.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Was planned for years.

Heritage foundation approved of the three conservative justices for a reason. This was the reason.

Fuck. We're going backwards.

Katamari

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Call me cynical but I think independent voters still vote red because their gas and inflation is too high or they think it's Biden's fault since he's president.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
When is the vote to overturn roe v wade happening?
The first round already occurred. The justices are still in conference. It's possible that the reported 5-4 breakdown changes. However, because we can assume that Roberts is in the minority (as in, he's voting against the opinion), that means the senior Associate Justice in the majority -- the one who decides the opinion in this case -- is Clarence Thomas.

That means Thomas assigned the opinion to Alito.

I'm sure the opinion has (or will) change from the February draft we've seen, but I don't know how it's anything but 5-4 in the end.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
The infighting and shit stirring here is the exact reason why things have gotten this dire. Rather than uniting against the very obvious enemy, we'd rather point fingers and whine about the failures on our own side.

Shut the fuck up and start fighting the right people. If you haven't noticed, they're fucking winning.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Blame RBG
Blame Democrats

Jesus some of y'all.
Focus

The grand irony for me continues to be that we on the left waste so much fucking time arguing that we can't do what we see the right do literally every fucking election.

This is why I'm so protective of Black voters. Not JUST because I'm Black myself, but because Black voters are literally THE ONLY Leftist voting block that operates this way. We take our asses out and vote for the D candidate no matter WHO that fucker is.

Big Baybee

Oct 27, 2017
The grand irony for me continues to be that we on the left waste so much fucking time arguing that we can't do what we see the right do literally every fucking election.

This is why I'm so protective of Black voters. Not JUST because I'm Black myself, but because Black voters are literally THE ONLY Leftist voting block that operates this way. We take our asses out and vote for the D candidate no matter WHO that fucker is.
Yep.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This is one of the messages I think should be stated over and over and over again: Republicans want rapists to have more rights than their victims.