• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Seneset

Oct 27, 2017
Limbus Patrum
Insane that something that got passed in this country damn near have a century ago just got killed because it was too far left for the current Supreme Court.

And nice to see these justices undermining previous rulings because of their personal biases.

What a joke.
Rachel's show had a good point about this. The Court only has power because of their respectability. They have no ability to enforce their opinions on their own. Blatantly doing things like this that makes the public loose total faith in the court as in impartial body is going to have repercussions they can't possibly foresee.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
As ever, conservatives are not mad that something has happened, but that someone said it was going to.

If you don't realize we're seeing Christian fascism in real fucking time, you're a lost cause right now. Every social right since Roe is on the line now.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Which only works if you have time and money to do it.

Like most things this will affect poor people and rich people will tell themselves it's not 'thay big of a deal'
Which ultimately is why I don't think the backlash will be catastrophic here, electorally.

The swing voters that are theoretically most affected by this - suburban white women with moderate-to-high income - aren't really losing much. They either live in blue states, or have the means to visit those blue states if need be. "Roe is the law of the land" is a purely rhetorical distinction - they would LIKE for it to remain, they'll be upset that it's gone, but repealing it has no practical effect on their lives, so how big a deal will it really be? Enough to shift their voting habits? I don't see it.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Roe v Wade took about 50 years to overturn so on a similar time scale most of us won't live to see this overruled.
Yeah, I was just talking to my wife about this. US will likely continue to slide for the next 30 years, and who knows if we ever see these times again. There is plenty to hate right now but I know things can and will get worse.

People need to realize that the GOP base will largely be massively motivated after seeing this, and although the left will fight it is currently an uphill battle just to not absolutely go to shit in the next two years, and after that, the fight begins again. People are tired, and Dems have not delivered on promises such as codifying Roe, Voting Rights, BBB, Student Loans, as well as of yet there are no real consequence for Jan 6, so I can certainly understand where people are depressed or upset. I know the situations were complex and we had some obstructionists senators. People are tired of fighting like hell just to hold on to what they had before, but our only salvation will be more fighting.

Look to some of the greatest fighters of the past for inspiration such as the civil rights leaders and let's not let their sacrifice be in vain as we have a long and difficult road ahead. The alternative is the continued slide into neo-fascism.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno. I -hope- the one small brightside of the trump years is that while america is white supremacist as fuck there's proof of enough GOP members have no ideological loyalty(never trumpers in the sheets, pro-trumpers in the streets). If there's a big enough backlash many will vote for survival. A Susan Collins survives because she never has to put up or shut up for either side while selling bipartisanship. One hopes this is an in or out moment for many
The only thing I see is plausible deniability is gone.

Moderates can't hide behind "both sides" or "The GOP isn't *that* crazy/evil" anymore.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
I really hope that people reading this who still have conservative connections in life finally puts it to mind to sever those ties. I don't care if it's your mom or your grandparents or whoever. This is the end result of what these people believe in, and I think my new line in the sand with other people is that if they have conservative people they care about at all in their lives, I'm immediately suspicious of them. I know this isn't the first strike from the GOP (it's like strike 999999999999), but it's a massively high profile moment. I know some people try to not get involved with politics, but conservatism needs to be a blanket non-negotiable for everybody that is disgusted by this news today.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Y'all, the machine responsible for this was set in motion before RBG ever lined her robes with that iconic white lace.

Stop looking for simple scapegoats. It's basic behavior. We're talking high concept shit here.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll never forgive Ruth Bader Ginsburg for her selfishness. She's the precipitating event for all of this
Hillary Warned everyone about the threat of a radicalized Supreme Court. It was people like Bernie who said she was hyping up a situation where there wasn't a need to be worried. After Obama was denied his pick of a Justice there should have never been a doubt again about the endgame role of the Supreme Court in GOP politics.

Alito in his writing establishes he supports states banning Sexual Acts deemed inappropriate historically and of course Same Sex. He supports rebanning gay marriage and other "fake rights"

JAlpsWanderer

Oct 27, 2017
I've said it before, so not to sound like a broken record, but Democrats, the Left, and anyone against this kind of shit need to start labeling the GOP as the American Taliban. Make it fucking stick.

I might have called it a false equivalency a few years ago, but it's almost a foregone conclusion at this point.

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hartford, CT
Anyone thinking that Dems aren't going to be pissed off and vote in the midterms is insane. After this shit, those "angry republicans" ain't going to have shit on angry dems. You want young people to vote? This is exactly the type of thing that will make that happens.

VoidCelestial

Oct 10, 2020
We're being dragged into some new dark age and it is pretty demoralizing. Can only pray that Democrats use this to rally for these upcoming midterms and change the vote to 50.

Broseph

Mar 2, 2021
I hate this country. I have no hope. I fully expect nationwide laws like gay marriage and 'sodomy' to be next since Alito specifically mentioned them

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
If they really think people are gonna sit back and let this shit happen they're in for a rude fucking awakening.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Hillary Warned everyone about the threat of a radicalized Supreme Court. It was people like Bernie who said she was hyping up a situation where there wasn't a need to be worried. After Obama was denied his pick of a Justice there should have never been a doubt again about the endgame role of the Supreme Court in GOP politics.
Wasn't Obama able to do a recess nomination, but didn't?

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I'll never forgive Ruth Bader Ginsburg for her selfishness. She's the precipitating event for all of this
I get that people think Ginsburg should've retired earlier. But she also fucking died in her job trying to protect women's rights. Who the hell on this forum would dedicate the end of their life to a job, no matter what the greater good?

People to blame for this decision: Trump, the conservative justices, everyone who voted for Trump, everyone who decided voting in 2016 or 2020 wasn't worth it. Not the actual people doing the hard good work.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't Obama able to do a recess nomination, but didn't?
No the Senate never went into recess and if he had done that it would have been an unprecedented constitutional crisis that likely would have caused the nominee to not be recognized as a legitimate justice.

Oct 25, 2017
She 100% is. She should have retired, but she choose not too. Her seat directly went to ACB, who is presumably a decind vote, because she didn't retire.

I respect what she did as a justice, but her hubris will undo her life's work and more

You can't honestly expect her to 4D chess and assume a total breakdown on order in 2013. Getting here required conservatives doing great on 2014, 2016, and 2018.

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018

Of course she's to blame for the GOP senate refusing to consider any nominee in 2016 and then rushing a vote 8 days before the 2020 election? She's to blame for believing someone who was leading by 9 points in the polls 2 months before the 2016 election would lose? GTFO.