• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Really looking forward to donation emails from Democrats who actually aren't doing anything while Republicans tear the country to cinders.

None of the Justices who voted this should see a moment's peace.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
The sick minded glee and cheering from a crowd of people who want women to just be baby making factories is repugnant.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
As opposed to what?

Got some breath for the Republicans who are responsible for this? Or are we supposed to join in on shitting on the only opposition?

Yeah they suck too. What's to say about them anymore? They've made their intentions known for decades now and the people who could've done something about this haven't.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
The interliberal/left voting arguments have no real endpoint tbh.

Start making converts or you're wasting your time on either side of that issue

Don't give breath to it if you're going to slap fight

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
Without the SC Roe vs Wade wouldn't have existed in the first place. The people saying "abolish the supreme court" are basically agreeing with the conservative judges that it wasn't the court's place to provide these protection rights 😬

I mean just because I liked the results of Roe and Obergefell doesn't mean I agree with the process. This is the other side of that same coin. The court was always too powerful but now its just completely mask off. I really don't know what the solution is now. The Supreme Court says no rights are valid at all unless explicitly stated in the federal constitution. This is no longer an actual court. LGBT rights are finished Contraception, interracial marriage, pretty much anything you can think of is toast.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
It's not forgotten. You are preaching to the choir. We know.

Going by the reactions to this thread and most threads about voting, "we" definitely don't

Then no one is talking about those people. The system isn't getting changed, it fucking isn't. People are expressing their anger at individuals who said fuck it, and you are up in here saying well you see, its technically the system to blame.

If you are going to give up the idea that the system can be changed, then you might as well say nothing, because the system is rigged and getting more rigged as time goes on. All you're doing at that point is berating people who don't matter because the system can never be changed in your view

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is not the will of the people, straight up. This is the political machine at work against the people. It's absolutely disgusting and unrepresentative of our values.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
REPUBLICANS JUST GOT THEIR FUCKING UNICORN WHILE THE DEMS ARE IN POWER AND BIDEN STILL REFUSES TO CANCEL STUDENT LOAN DEBTS

VOTING IN THIS GOD DAMNED COUNTRY IS SUCH A FUCKING JOKE

I mean ya should be permd for uttering the words student loans here

This might be the most important moment of all our lives happening now, yall in-fighters and cynics please fuck off.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peeling away the filibuster seems like such a gamble at this point. It's of little value to Democrats legislatively if Republicans take the House, and I'd be terrified of what a Republican trifecta plus a 6-3 Supreme Court would allow without SOME legislative firewall.

But like, if they're really going all-in, they'd have the capacity to get rid of it themselves. So should Democrats try and get ahead and shore up what defenses they can in the last ~6 months of House control?

I just wish they had that level of urgency at the start of Biden's term, when the writing was on the wall, and they had the means to enact more meaningful change. So much time pissed away. (But, shit, not like they had a guaranteed 50 votes for the more vital legislation either way. Remember when DC statehood seemed like a possibility? Good times.)

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
REPUBLICANS JUST GOT THEIR FUCKING UNICORN WHILE THE DEMS ARE IN POWER AND BIDEN STILL REFUSES TO CANCEL STUDENT LOAN DEBTS

VOTING IN THIS GOD DAMNED COUNTRY IS SUCH A FUCKING JOKE
Imagine making a post like this. You realize Biden being in has little do to with the current composite of the court, right?

And student loans in a thread about women having their basic human rights stripped from them?

Oct 27, 2017
I never understand how republicans can pass the shittiest things through and democrats just always sit on their hands. This is more from emotion talking but why cant they nuke the filibuster, pack the courts and force things through? Republicans always do it and democrats are just like doing nothing per usual.
Because Dems are at a disadvantage when it comes to Senate control. The solution is to get rid of the idea that each state gets an equal vote.

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
And there is literally no way around that? I feel like there has to be a way to vote them out or something.
Manchin is from a deep red state. He's coasting on inertia at this point. If he were to be primaried, he would be replaced by a republican for a generation.
Sinema is just a piece of shit, and should be primaried.

Pand

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I really hope people properly riot over this. If this goes through without people showing up for mass protests to draw the line, the whole country is fucked.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
Peeling away the filibuster seems like such a gamble at this point. It's of little value to Democrats legislatively if Republicans take the House, and I'd be terrified of what a Republican trifecta plus a 6-3 Supreme Court would allow without SOME legislative firewall.

But like, if they're really going all-in, they'd have the capacity to get rid of it themselves. So should Democrats try and get ahead and shore up what defenses they can in the last ~6 months of House control?

I just wish they had that level of urgency at the start of Biden's term, when the writing was on the wall, and they had the means to enact more meaningful change. So much time pissed away. (But, shit, not like they had a guaranteed 50 votes for the more vital legislation either way. Remember when DC statehood seemed like a possibility? Good times.)

Republicans will just get rid of it themselves. They did it to get a court seat already

Spiritreaver

Oct 26, 2017
Not surprise this thread has derailed into infighting.

I'm ready to keep fighting for the future, even if I don't live to see it get better. Can't change the past. When yall are ready to come together, I'll be with ya.

Oct 25, 2017
*Congress tries to pass law codifying abortion*

Manchin: "I cannot in good conscious vote for legislation until after we hear the verdict of the Supreme Court and in which case I will respect their verdict"

Book it.
Christ, if I were a reporter and he were to say that shit to me, I'd be all like, "do all your votes in the Senate come from waiting and seeing what SCOTUS does?"

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
Trump's effective margin of victory was like less than 100,000 votes across several states. So yeah, marginal non-voting populations can be blamed.

We have no way of knowing how many of those non-voters were leftists or Bernie supporters who sat out the election, though. The actual polling showed that Bernie supporters showed up for Hillary in good numbers. More Bernie supporters voted for Clinton than Hillary supporters showed up for Obama in 2008. I understand your frustration but it seems like those people were far more vocal on the internet than they were in real life. They likely didn't help, but there were a lot of groups I would say influenced the election more, primarily white men and women in general.

It wasn't just the electoral college, it was also the voter suppression across multiple states, and the Supreme Court gutting the Voting Rights act. But people just want to instantly jump to blaming the voters, despite the fact that the majority of voters did what they were supposed to, and usually do as Democrats often get more votes since they represent more people.

Until people drop that attitude, nothing is going to change. This thread is a great version of that. A rigged system robs the majority of the will? 'Oh my god, I can't believe all you people didn't do what you were supposed to do!?' Same old song and dance

Absolutely, there were multiple factors rigged against us and it's only going to get (likely much) worse.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
Going by the reactions to this thread and most threads about voting, "we" definitely don't

If you are going to give up the idea that the system can be changed, then you might as well say nothing, because the system is rigged and getting more rigged as time goes on. All you're doing at that point is berating people who don't matter because the system can never be changed in your view
Yes the system is rigged
Yes by and large people voted for Hillary

But we need more people to do their part to beat the odds. We failed when it wasn't guaranteed that we would fail.

Deleted member 5876

Big Seller
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have a theory. Everyone seems to think this leak came from someone who disagreed with the opinion and wanted to let everyone know.
But consider:

This morning there was reporting out that Republicans were planning their very first bill, after they take back congress, to be to make abortion illegal across the country and they would nuke the filibuster to do it.

I think a conservative Justice leaked the vote and draft opinion to Republicans in congress, which obviously further leaked from there.

What's next? Gay marriage?
possibly? I mean from what I read (and if anyone wants to add more, please do), gay marriage was made legal on the same amendment as roe v. wade. Aka the 14th amendment. So, hypothetical, they could go after gay marriage. But what really makes my skin crawl about this is the mention of overturning Casey as well? Namely, because of the whole women had to get a husband permission to do a medical thing! like what the actual fuck is overturning that about?! Real scary shit!

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Do people really expect record protests will come from this?

This issue is less marketable and less visible than the George Floyd killing and we'll have less open enemies than the police who can be trusted to commit police brutality and exacerbate the issue further. We'll have a hard as fuck time getting something close to the 2020 protests (which also failed)

Oct 25, 2017
Fine, change it. But until it is changed you know the rules, you know the game, the blame is the people. Full stop. When the game is changed, great.

Haruko

Oct 25, 2017
Why couldn't we have been lucky enough for covid to take Thomas a few weeks back. Ugh

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
I have a theory. Everyone seems to think this leak came from someone who disagreed with the opinion and wanted to let everyone know.
But consider:

This morning there was reporting out that Republicans were planning their very first bill, after they take back congress, to be to make abortion illegal across the country and they would nuke the filibuster to do it.

I think a conservative Justice leaked the vote and draft opinion to Republicans in congress, which obviously further leaked from there.
I wouldn't be surprised it was one of the MAGA staffers to then gaslight and blame BLM/etc for leaking it.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope people properly riot over this. If this goes through without people showing up for mass protests to draw the line, the whole country is fucked.

Oh I think there's no doubts the protests are going to be massive. But I hope those protests are directed both towards SCOTUS but also the Democratic leadership.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
possibly? I mean from what I read (and if anyone wants to add more, please do), gay marriage was made legal on the same amendment as roe v. wade. Aka the 14th amendment. So, hypothetical, they could go after gay marriage. But what really makes my skin crawl about this is the mention of overturning Casey as well? Namely, because of the whole women had to get a husband permission to do a medical thing! like what the actual fuck is overturning that about?! Real scary shit!

Alito specifically mentioned that Obergefell, same-sex marriage, and Lawrence, which stopped the criminalization of sodomy, as not "real" rights. They are telling you what they will do next.

kittenbreath

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I can't wait to be lectured about the pointlessness of voting by people who only vote once every four years *at most*

If Democrats actually cared about midterms and state legislative races half as much as conservatives do then we wouldn't be at this junction. There are so many pathways to victory in our form of government, you can't afford to ignore any lever of power.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
If this goes through without people showing up for mass protests to draw the line, the whole country is fucked.
The only mass protest that politicians sorta kinda cared about in recent memory before that shit was dropped about were the 1/6 riots because those fuckers actually breached the Capitol and posed a physical threat. I learned very quick from going out in the streets those two summers ago that while it makes a very nice show, and it gets international attention, the fact is American politicians don't actually care in the long run about protests because they know for a fact that they can wait the heat out and avoid the consequences.

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
Do people really expect record protests will come from this?

This issue is less marketable and less visible than the George Floyd killing and we'll have less open enemies than the police who can be trusted to commit police brutality and exacerbate the issue further. We'll have a hard as fuck time getting something close to the 2020 protests (which also failed)
On the other hand, this affects white people.