• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
Remember this before withholding votes in upcoming elections because Biden won't unilaterally cancel all student loans.

Sky Chief

Oct 30, 2017
This is literally the catch 22 almost every backsliding democracy ends up facing. Their opposition is radical, willing to break the rules, the government, and typically has an ingrained and powerful backing that has an almost religious like core of followers devoted to the cause and a more moderate wing eventually willing to bend to them and make common cause. Then contrasted with a opposition that refuses to acknowledge the gravity of the situation and plays by the old rules, and the result is they get destroyed, and when a modest reaction happens, the illiberal party uses that as further justification to stranglehold their power.

Pretty much

TheOMan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So the Republicans can retaliate and stack the court themselves when they get the chance? Smart, real smart.

If you protest voted for Jill Stein, the blood is on your hands.

Technically, they already did this with Obama.

The thinking is that at least you get 4 years of an SC working with you instead of against you.

Lifetime appointments also need to go.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
I personally love the leak; we left decorum a long time a if it ever existed. As usual, America has to learn things the hard way: all these crucial years of doing things the 'honorable way' has led to a resurgent right and an America as a dying democracy.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully this begins in earnest the conversation that began in the last Dem primary (driven mostly by, yeah I'm about to say it, Pete Buttigieg)...

This needs to signal the end of the Supreme Court.

I might not ever see it in my lifetime (likely). But this needs to be the moment that the concept of the Supreme Court goes down in history as inherently unhealthy and antithetical to the concept of a functioning democracy.

Message received I think.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
I never understand how republicans can pass the shittiest things through and democrats just always sit on their hands. This is more from emotion talking but why cant they nuke the filibuster, pack the courts and force things through? Republicans always do it and democrats are just like doing nothing per usual.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
the Republicans can retaliate and stack the court themselves when they get the chance? Smart, real smart.
That's a better situation than now. Now despite presidential elections swinging its very likely I will never breath air with a liberal Supreme Court, from birth to death. At least stacking the court would do away with pretense and give some control for a few years. Blow it up. You know if liberals ever got the court the conservatives wouldn't wait an instant.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bernie was the one in 2016 saying Hillary was overhyping the threat of a radical Supreme Court and saying Planned Parenthood was part of the Establishment. So really Bernie can fuck right off.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully this begins in earnest the conversation that began in the last Dem primary (driven mostly by, yeah I'm about to say it, Pete Buttigieg)...

This needs to signal the end of the Supreme Court.

I might not ever see it in my lifetime (likely). But this needs to be the moment that the concept of the Supreme Court goes down in history as inherently unhealthy and antithetical to the concept of a functioning democracy.
Ha, would be nice to get something out of this

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
I understand the anger, but the "Hillary is as bad as Trump" non-voters were just a vocal minority that didn't sway the election. Hillary won the popular vote, it was the electoral college that fucked us. And it's over, there's nothing we can do to change the past. The left needs to let that shit go and come together. I have a great deal of pessimism that will ever happen, but it needs to. We need to finally recognize that the right is our enemy and it isn't fucking around. It is going to take away our rights and establish a full-on Authoritarian state if no one stops it.

I just wish some of the politicians we elect could actually accept that fact and do something about it.

It wasn't just the electoral college, it was also the voter suppression across multiple states, and the Supreme Court gutting the Voting Rights act. But people just want to instantly jump to blaming the voters, despite the fact that the majority of voters did what they were supposed to, and usually do as Democrats often get more votes since they represent more people.

Until people drop that attitude, nothing is going to change. This thread is a great version of that. A rigged system robs the majority of the will? 'Oh my god, I can't believe all you people didn't do what you were supposed to do!?' Same old song and dance

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Call me super naïve, but I'm legit shocked they went through with it.

I too wondered about the political timing of all of this, but then I realized...

A Black woman was just appointed to the Supreme Court and has yet to take her seat.

LEAVE IT TO ME TO POINT OUT THE RACISM.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Can't wait for all the limp dick electioneering from D's off the back of this. Gonna be a lot of "donate here!" and "Vote!" in the coming days.

Mr_Antimatter

Oct 28, 2017
The democrats have no blame for this, this is solely on the hands on the GOP and folks who protest voted or abstained in 2016.

And if they can come after row, then oberfell and perhaps even loving can be in the crosshairs.

Yesterday

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Attempted Thread Derail in Sensitive Thread
REPUBLICANS JUST GOT THEIR FUCKING UNICORN WHILE THE DEMS ARE IN POWER AND BIDEN STILL REFUSES TO CANCEL STUDENT LOAN DEBTS

VOTING IN THIS GOD DAMNED COUNTRY IS SUCH A FUCKING JOKE

Dodongo

Oct 25, 2017
Look, my post is a post of extreme frustration of the party who when we had an open supreme court seat with Obama as president, didnt even actually freak out over it. Nothing on the level of focus and determination that the republican party would have used. But aside from that. I live in Utah, one of the reddest states. I still vote. For every race I can and try to push things in the best direction possible. I vote, I still try even knowing in my particular circumstances that in many races in my State, it is quite literally pointless. I'm not saying give up or dont vote for democrats, I still will. I just have no fucking hope or expectations of them utilizing and mobilizing even on this the most critical of issues. If ever there is a time for a party to go fucking nuclear... it's now. Federal legislation to protect abortion, stack the court, fucking everything. Go for it. Go for it now.
No worries, I understand. We're all ticked off, and there's no shortage of frustration to go around.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Can't wait for all the limp dick electioneering from D's off the back of this. Gonna be a lot of "donate here!" and "Vote!" in the coming days.

As opposed to what?

Got some breath for the Republicans who are responsible for this? Or are we supposed to join in on shitting on the only opposition?

gozu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
America
I truly believe the USA as a country is doomed. There's simply too many flaws in the USA's democracy which enable bullshit like this.

As a country, it's not doomed.

As a democracy, it looks doomed to me.

Senate is rigged in favor of tiny rural republican states. because rural = low info voter. Whether it's America, France, UK, Turkey, India or Brazil. Rural voters tend to vote for the wrong party more often than not. They are more easily deceived by assholes. Always have been. In the USA, many also carry a chip on their shoulder about city elites or whatever which leads them to do deplorable things like voting for Trump and by doing so, wiping their asses with the constitution despite all the blood their fathers spilled fighting for it.

House of representatives is rigged because of gerrymandering that has been sanctioned by the Supreme Court.

The Supreme Court was rigged and its legitimacy destroyed by McConnell. Roe v Wade being overturned is a huge disgrace that was unfathomable 10 years ago. UN-FUCKING-FATHOMABLE. Remember Citizen United's ridiculous money = free speech and anonymous money now? Remember quid pro quo doesn't exist unless there is a suitcase of money being exchange? Lower courts have been stacked at a vertiginous rate during the Trump admin to make things much worse.

The presidency is rigged thanks to the electoral college that already allowed 2 illegitimate presidents to rule for 12 out of 20 years that should have had democratic presidents in any other democratic country in the world.

Public trust in the mainstream media is at an all-time low for no good reason. Just sabotage and lies from the other side, who respect no rules. Twitter, facebook and company enabled this to a nightmarish degree, best exemplified by QAnon. Another huge red flag.

Finally, a legit coup was attempted by the last president, who not only did not yield, but convinced the vast majority of republicans that the election was fraudulent, and his party is happy to enable dictatorship if that's what it takes to beat demographics. They have replaced all the principled people that balked at the last fraud attempt.

And who's in jail 16 months later? Nobody important. The people who needed to step up to the challenge have all failed. Starting with those who didn't abolish the electoral college in the 60s or 70s. Many failed to have the necessary balls and moral character necessary to do what was needed.

How many red flags do I need to realize we are the frog and the water is now reaching that boiling point?

Feel free to try and cheer me up because I need it after writing all that down.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
REPUBLICANS JUST GOT THEIR FUCKING UNICORN WHILE THE DEMS ARE IN POWER AND BIDEN STILL REFUSES TO CANCEL STUDENT LOAN DEBTS

And those Republicans will go out to vote for their candidates no matter what. It's not a joke for them.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I know that I'm personally starting to spiral so I figured it was important to paste these here if anyone needs them:

Crisis Text Line: text BUDDY to 741-741 (for free 24/7 support)

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-8255

After Abortion Hotline/Pro-Voice: 1-866-439-4253

Pregnancy Hotline: 1-800-467-8466

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I never understand how republicans can pass the shittiest things through and democrats just always sit on their hands. This is more from emotion talking but why cant they nuke the filibuster, pack the courts and force things through? Republicans always do it and democrats are just like doing nothing per usual.
Because Kirsten Sinema and Joe Manchin are preventing the Dems from ending the filibuster. That's why

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017

imagine

imagine in a thread about one of the fundamental women's rights being attacked, and all you can post about is Student Loans?

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully Dems take the gloves off, finally. If this doesn't get young people motivated for the midterms... I don't know