• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
What does this even solve? It'd be a constant yo-yo where the court keeps getting larger and larger. Any time Republicans gain control they can just strike down anything they don't like via the court.

Just abolish the supreme court as an institution entirely. It has always done more harm than good when it comes to rights and now it'd just be comical if it wasn't all just so fucked up.

They would have just ruled the law was unconstitutional if Congress did that? When 1 branch has the power to rule the only legal laws are the ones that are expressly mentioned in the non-amended constitution I'm not sure how passing actual laws is going to help.
You can't do that without a constitutional amendment.

At this point, stacking the court is the only option (though you'd have to find a way to get the problem congresspeople on board to even do that). If it means that power has to wax and wane with whenever one party holds the Executive and Legislative, then so be it.

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada

coincidence or reaction to the politico story?

Looking like they know that there are two options: Expand the court or the people are going to open up some seats.

Note: This is not an endorsement for political violence against the conservative justices or any justice of SCOTUS, it is an acknowledgement of the seismic reaction that will happen if this report is to be believed and Roe V Wade gets overturned. People are going to be fucking furious. They're already furious over his leak.

greatgeek

Oct 25, 2017
Congressional codification is not a thing that's going to happen, anyway. This SCOTUS will not find a constitutional basis for it in the Commerce Clause or any other provision. And a constituional amendment is less likely.

Merc_

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
This is quite a leak because I can't believe they'd want the public to know about this so close to midterms.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
If 'Didn't vote' was a candidate in 2016 it would have won handily. Rigged votes weren't why PA went to Trump, or MI.

Hilary Clinton won the vote by 3 million votes, and the presidency was won on the basis of roughly 10,000 votes across a few states. Amazing how that's quickly been forgotten

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
I feel like someone willing to accept a gun from a friend already has a gun of their own, don't you?
Guns are expensive, and as well armed as this country is, I guarantee there's a not insignificant portion of the population who would love to be armed to the teeth but can't afford it.

Your average cousin fucking racist conservative probably owns a gun, but it's probably a pistol or a hunting rifle, or a shotgun at best. Only the well to do can afford to have an arsenal of assault weapons, and I'd be willing to wager that a majority of those with said arsenals are conservatives.

I'm not saying it's the deciding factor in a civil war, but it's definitely a factor.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even if we somehow managed to do away with the filibuster this Court is Completely Hostile to Abortion. They would not let stand any law enabling abortion

Oct 25, 2017
I'd argue fuck the Democratic Party that put all its eggs in her basket even though she wasn't a popular candidate

She crushed the competition. Why could have ran that you think would have beat her? People don't run unless they think they can win, unless it is for some dumb credibility or notability boost.

In 2013 she was literally the most popular political figure in America. Her numbers getting torn to shreds mostly happened after she locked up the primary, and you are really spreading some really stupid retcon stuff here. She's a complicated political figure out she was extraordinarily popular in the build up to her run. SoS tends to be a super popular position in general.

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'd argue fuck the Democratic Party that put all its eggs in her basket even though she wasn't a popular candidate
Fuck Anthony Weiner in particular. I don't think she'd have lost if not for the investigation that was opened up thanks to his...everything.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
I understand the anger, but the "Hillary is as bad as Trump" non-voters were just a vocal minority that didn't sway the election. Hillary won the popular vote, it was the electoral college that fucked us. And it's over, there's nothing we can do to change the past. The left needs to let that shit go and come together. I have a great deal of pessimism that will ever happen, but it needs to. We need to finally recognize that the right is our enemy and it isn't fucking around. It is going to take away our rights and establish a full-on Authoritarian state if no one stops it.

I just wish some of the politicians we elect could actually accept that fact and do something about it. I have zero faith that's going to happen, of course.

Stone Cold

Oct 27, 2017
She crushed the competition. Why could have ran that you think would have beat her? People don't run unless they think they can win, unless it is for some dumb credibility or notability boost.

In 2013 she was literally the most popular political figure in America. Her numbers getting torn to shreds mostly happened after she locked up the primary, and you are really spreading some really stupid retcon stuff here.
If she was so popular why did she lose all the battleground states

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Hopefully this begins in earnest the conversation that began in the last Dem primary (driven mostly by, yeah I'm about to say it, Pete Buttigieg)...

This needs to signal the end of the Supreme Court.

I might not ever see it in my lifetime (likely). But this needs to be the moment that the concept of the Supreme Court goes down in history as inherently unhealthy and antithetical to the concept of a functioning democracy.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, but the majority of voters are doing their part. That's my point. We are misdirecting the criticism to the wrong place.
Then no one is talking about those people. The system isn't getting changed, it fucking isn't. People are expressing their anger at individuals who said fuck it, and you are up in here saying well you see, its technically the system to blame.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
So there's nothing to be done, then, huh? Just roll over and die?

Democrats winning in 2016 would have prevented this decision easily. Winning the senate in 2014 too.

I know you think you're helping, but this kind of doomposting is not helpful. Dems winning the White House in 2016 would have prevented this.

The difference between living in a red state vs living in a blue state is life or death for some young women.

Look, my post is a post of extreme frustration of the party who when we had an open supreme court seat with Obama as president, didnt even actually freak out over it. Nothing on the level of focus and determination that the republican party would have used. But aside from that. I live in Utah, one of the reddest states. I still vote. For every race I can and try to push things in the best direction possible. I vote, I still try even knowing in my particular circumstances that in many races in my State, it is quite literally pointless. I'm not saying give up or dont vote for democrats, I still will. I just have no fucking hope or expectations of them utilizing and mobilizing even on this the most critical of issues. If ever there is a time for a party to go fucking nuclear... it's now. Federal legislation to protect abortion, stack the court, fucking everything. Go for it. Go for it now.

greatgeek

Oct 25, 2017
I understand the anger, but the "Hillary is as bad as Trump" non-voters were just a vocal minority that didn't sway the election. Hillary won the popular vote, it was the electoral college that fucked us.

Trump's effective margin of victory was like less than 100,000 votes across several states. So yeah, marginal non-voting populations can be blamed.

Nola

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, but the majority of voters are doing their part. That's my point. We are misdirecting the criticism to the wrong place.

Then what are you saying? What's your point?
Here's the thing, the ONLY solution we have at the moment is to 1.) Go above and beyond the stacked system to gain power and 2.) put so much clarity of focus and pressure on the Democratic Party that they believe their correcting of our democratic and human rights backsliding is the ONLY way for them to maintain power and status.

This is literally the catch 22 almost every backsliding democracy ends up facing. Their opposition is radical, willing to break the rules, the government, and typically has an ingrained and powerful backing that has an almost religious like core of followers devoted to the cause and a more moderate wing eventually willing to bend to them and make common cause. Then contrasted with a opposition that refuses to acknowledge the gravity of the situation and plays by the old rules, and the result is they get destroyed, and when a modest reaction happens after it's already too late, the illiberal extremist party uses that as further justification to crush and outlaw their opposition power.

And we already see the vicious cycle of this ramping up over the last couple decades, and now the Republican Party is fully invested in the project of tilting America irreversibly in their favor through corruption of the system, then using any oppositional victory as a rally to further corrupt it. Not sure how many more cycles we have in us…