• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dodongo

Oct 25, 2017
I still find it strange where a US state of 100,000 population is equal in representation to a state of 10,000,000 , I'm talking about 2 Senators per state?

I'm not from the US but shouldn't Americans find this horrible too? what is the reason for this
The Senate is designed to give outsized power to red states. It's totally broken as an institution.

Another reason why the "weak Dems are just ineffectual" narrative is completely tone deaf. Blue voters have to turn out in way greater numbers just to break even.

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
People had to know this was coming…. Doesn't make it any easier to swallow. The leak allows for all red states to get their shit laws in place to ban abortion as soon as the law passes. Protests will be plentiful, but the law isn't going anywhere.

Republicans smelled blood a while ago and going for the kill. I feel for all of those populations that will feel the Republican rage for the next few decades..

grand

Oct 25, 2017
I would agree with you in broad strokes for most times before the 21st century.

As of now the continuing climate catastrophe for me is both ahistorical and allows for backsliding on a rather unprecedented scale potentially. We can lose like we never have before.

Well, it's gonna be quite a time in any case
Okay, so I'll admit climate change is a very realistic wrench in the gears to the whole process: not just for the US, but the world. No one is equipped to handle the social & economic upheaval from climate change. That's far more likely to cause severe issues with the US status quo moreso than anything else.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Like, theoretically, at best, a conservative "gun nut" could dual wield two guns at once. Having a massive gun collection isn't going to suddenly give someone an upper hand.
And people greatly underestimate how many Liberal minded people have guns. We may not be freaks who need 50,000 rounds of ammo and 200 guns but we are armed

Ensorcell

Oct 27, 2017
This was virtually guaranteed after RBG's death. The decision leaking is the twist. The U.S. is falling apart.

Kemal86

Oct 25, 2017
The Senate is designed to give outsized power to red states. It's totally broken as an institution.

Another reason why the "weak Dems are just ineffectual" narrative is completely tone deaf. Blue voters have to turn out in way greater numbers just to break even.

yeah but that won't stop the narrative from being repeated endlessly even on this site. somehow, it's dems fault.

Hrodulf

Oct 25, 2017
Another reminder that no, both sides are not bad. Every election matters, and now thousands and thousands of women are going to suffer the consequences of peoples' indifference.
I mean, more people voting would be better, sure, but the system in America is so tilted in favor of Republicans that Trump won the EC by nearly 15% despite getting 2% less of the popular vote.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
People had to know this was coming…. Doesn't make it any easier to swallow. The leak allows for all red states to get their shit laws in place to ban abortion as soon as the law passes. Protests will be plentiful, but the law isn't going anywhere.

Republicans smelled blood a while ago and going for the kill. I feel for all of those populations that will feel the Republican rage for the next few decades..

those states already had abortion ban laws in the pipeline. they've been writing them up since 2020 when ACB was confirmed.

TyrantII

Oct 25, 2017
Boston
We, the majority of voters, didn't. The rigged system just did what it was rigged to do.

Yes and no. There's plenty of eligible voters who have bought into propaganda and don't vote. They'd be a moderating factor, and buffer against this minority being able to terrorize and govern in bad faith.

But shit has been going on since the reconstruct, and the problem has been kicked down the road so many times. There is some irony that the DLC moderate Clinton's who refused to deal with it in the 90s (probably the last time they had the numbers and political will to do anything) then lost 2016, and possibly the nation to the same forces they ignored then.

Oct 25, 2017
Just posting to keep an eye on any protest information/share if I come across any. I now live near Susan Collins office so im sure she's going to be ecstatic when she sees me.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
This system is still broken. I vote but I know my work outside the political process is much more impactful in my community.

While history may gives us hints in many ways, I don't think we should pretend that it can't happen here. It can and has. Now, how far will it slide? We don't know.
I'm more arguing against the idea that it "will" happen moreso than whether it can happen. The enemy of progress is apathy and apathy can allow anything to occur unabated.

Oct 25, 2017
We, the majority of voters, didn't. The rigged system just did what it was rigged to do.
This is such a cop out. It has been the system since this shit tier country was established. People in very specific states said ehh fuck it.

You knew the rules of the game, you were explicitly told the rules of the game, you were DIRECTLY warned about the repercussions, people still went ehh

Hellwarden

Oct 25, 2017
Not much to say tbh.

Like to think this kicks off something big, something that really shifts this country in a big way.

But I'm too cynical to really believe that.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
hard not to feel that we lost since Reagan tbh

The conservative machine was so powerful then. And we built nothing to counter it. BLM and on the ground activism can never make up the difference

Nola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Just illustrating my point more and more. There will never be any hope if you can't even acknowledge the system is broken.
Both things can be true: the system is broken and people failed to act with the right sense of urgency and clarity needed to stave off even worse harm

Just like it can also be true that the Republicans are true evil, but at the same time, if the Democratic Party can't lead and stop looking like the SPD party of Germany circa 1930, and the left in this country arguing the same sort of ridiculous acclerationsim the KPD party did at the same time, the country is fucked because the Republicans, like the Nazi's, will simply continue to go to extremes to maintain power, while the opposition will spend as much time fighting their own sides and playing to their moneyed base and the old way of politics, and they will get progressively steamrolled over time

Big Baybee

Oct 27, 2017
Republican voters plow ahead and vote for every shitty candidate put in front of them. Wish my side did the same. Going to get a lot worse.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
It's possible to recognize the system is rigged and wish more people had voted. It's not impossible to win the presidency.

Hilary won the popular vote by over 3 million. The majority of people did their job. The 2016 election was decided by less than 10,000 votes across three states that had heavy voter suppression. The system is rigged. You're just attacking the people who did what they were supposed to do.
Yes and no. There's plenty of eligible voters who have bought into propaganda and don't vote. They'd be a moderating factor, and buffer against this minority being able to terrorize and govern in bad faith.

But shit has been going on since the reconstruct, and the problem has been kicked down the road so many times. There is some irony that the DLC moderate Clinton's who refused to deal with it in the 90s (probably the last time they had the numbers and political will to do anything) then lost 2016, and possibly the nation to the same forces they ignored then.

Yeah, but the majority of voters are doing their part. That's my point. We are misdirecting the criticism to the wrong place.

I never said it was. Please continue putting words in my mouth.

Then what are you saying? What's your point?

steejee

Oct 28, 2017

If 'Didn't vote' was a candidate in 2016 it would have won handily. Rigged votes weren't why PA went to Trump, or MI.
brilliantmaps.com

If “Did Not Vote” Had Been A Candidate In The 2016 US Presidential...

Map created using 270 To Win, based on reddit user Taillesskangaru's posts here and updated here. The map above shows what the 2016 US Presidential Election results would have been if votes not cast for Hillary, Trump or one of the third party candidates had gone to fictional candidate "Did Not...

www.vox.com

Voter suppression didn’t cost Hillary Clinton the election

Voter suppression might explain Clinton’s loss in Wisconsin — but not Florida, Michigan, or Pennsylvania.

Why didn't Obama codify it into law?
Obama only briefly had a 'supermajority' and spent it on the ACA and Roe v Wade was not seen as in much danger then as it clearly is now.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Heads up:

If in a moment this perilous; a moment where the "Bad Guy" has never been clearer...you can still only fix your fingers to talk about how much the Democrats suck?

You need to step away from your computer, or your mobile device...and find the nearest mirror to take a long hard look in.

Post it in Neon and font 48.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
It's time to stack the fucking court!!!!

What does this even solve? It'd be a constant yo-yo where the court keeps getting larger and larger. Any time Republicans gain control they can just strike down anything they don't like via the court.

Just abolish the supreme court as an institution entirely. It has always done more harm than good when it comes to rights and now it'd just be comical if it wasn't all just so fucked up.

Why didn't Obama codify it into law?

They would have just ruled the law was unconstitutional if Congress did that? When 1 branch has the power to rule the only legal laws are the ones that are expressly mentioned in the non-amended constitution I'm not sure how passing actual laws is going to help.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I just don't see how the 2024 election's aftermath won't destroy whatever little of value is left of this pathetic excuse for a nation. You gotta imagine if you were able to run the simulation a hundred times the country wouldn't even make it to 2026 in at least half of them

ADS

Oct 27, 2017
A sincere FUCK YOU to all the ERA (or was it gaf back then?) members circa 2016 who didn't vote for Hillary since "the supreme court doesn't matter, we need to send a message to the democratic party that we want more progressive candidates".

How'd that work out, hmm?

Barzul

Oct 25, 2017

This is because power is power and cultural influence is irrelevant. Democrats need overwhelming power to absorb the likes of defectors like Manchin and Sinema. They just don't have that. I'm skeptical this Roe decision changes much, not sure if what is being lost is understood because it's been around for so long.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
What does this even solve? It'd be a constant yo-yo where the court keeps getting larger and larger. Any time Republicans gain control they can just strike down anything they don't like via the court.

Just abolish the supreme court as an institution entirely. It has always done more harm than good when it comes to rights and now it'd just be comical if it wasn't all just so fucked up.

They would have just ruled the law was unconstitutional if Congress did that? When 1 branch has the power to rule the only legal laws are the ones that are expressly mentioned in the non-amended constitution I'm not sure how passing actual laws is going to help.
Without the SC Roe vs Wade wouldn't have existed in the first place. The people saying "abolish the supreme court" are basically agreeing with the conservative judges that it wasn't the court's place to provide these protection rights 😬