• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sky Chief

Oct 30, 2017
46.86% of American voters openly support Trump and the GOP, people who tried to establish an authoritarian dictatorship. Once the Republicans get control of the presidency, House of Representatives and Senate they'll be free to establish that and at that point there will be no way back.

Yeah, when Republicans gain federal power the next time they will never give it up bar a civil war and we all know who has more guns

Feign

Aug 11, 2020
<-- Coast
What's next? Gay marriage?

Of course. That's where a lot of this started after all. I highly suggest anyone who hasn't read this to read it, despite the length. It's 17 years old and as relevant as ever.

That article brings up James Dobson of Focus on the Family, one of the people behind, "Love the sinner, hate the sin." One of the most quietly insidious phrases to catch on. Again, this was written in 2005 about things from decades prior, but here is Dobson in 2016 penning an Op-Ed for Christianity Today:

I don't vote for candidates or political parties. I support those who will lead the country righteously, honorably, and wisely. In many ways, this is a single-issue election because it will affect every dimension of American life: the makeup of the Supreme Court. Antonin Scalia's sudden death made this election the most significant of our lifetime. The next president will nominate perhaps three or more justices whose judicial philosophy will shape our country for generations to come.
Unelected, unaccountable, and imperialistic justices have a history of imposing horrendous decisions on the nation. One decision that still plagues us is Roe v. Wade, imposed on America in 1973. It divided the nation and has led to the murders of 54 million innocent babies. This killing goes on every day.

Unfortunately, the article has since been paywalled, but it originally said that as vile a person as he thought Trump was, Christians needed to hold their noses and vote for him to secure the Supreme Court. This has been the plan for decades in the making. The focus will be back on gay marriage soon enough and we'll be lucky if it's just that.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
You aren't wrong, but this chart is slightly misleading. All those areas of red, while red, are not HEAVILY populated I think.

That's my point though, those tiny pockets of blue in the big spots of red ARE heavily populated. Millions and millions of people live in them, despite the states they're located in being red, potentially deep red. Hypothetically, if the US as we knew it collapsed and the states were seceding from each other again, what's the answer for everyone stuck in pretty much any city in the south? Are they going to be left to fend for themselves? Is the north going to miraculously have enough housing to cover the huge influx of refugees?

"Solving" 2022 America is a lot more complicated than just saying "Blue states should leave the union".

Cbrun44

This was always their end game. Not surprising at all. The moment Hillary lost this was all in motion. For those of you who didn't vote for her because she didn't meet a particular liberal litmus test I put just as much blame on you. Just ridiculous.

Fortunately being in Washington we will have a state government that will fight for us. For those in red states I hope you fight like hell.

Dodongo

Oct 25, 2017
The democrats winning will do nothing, democrats don't do shit in the face of republican control no matter if they are in the minority or majority. They are fucking worthless as a governing party. Being less bad than the republican party doesn't mean shit when they cant stop republicans from dismantling rights and attacking rights.
I know you think you're helping, but this kind of doomposting is not helpful. Dems winning the White House in 2016 would have prevented this.

The difference between living in a red state vs living in a blue state is life or death for some young women.

Nola

Oct 29, 2017
That's not true. History is one of ebbs & flows. There's always reactionary backlash to progressivism. But in the end, society takes two steps forward for every step back.

The enemy of progress isn't conflict, it's apathy.
go read some history on backsliding democracies that are hitting all the landmarks we are and let me know how many actually magically reverse the trends to become highly functioning democracies without either hitting failed state/authoritarian status or requiring outside intervention.

The prevailing argument for why America won't end up like any number of post WWI European, South American, Central American, Post Soviet, and Eastern European countries that backslid into authoritarianism or illiberal democracy essentially comes down to: America is just better….It's not a strong argument

falcondoc

Oct 29, 2017
This country is so fucked. The supreme court is a profoundly broken institution. A brute political tool to take away our rights.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
And this is why not voting has consequences.

Republicans played the long game while liberals were only concerned with the short term.

Fuck everything.

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017
I still find it strange where a US state of 100,000 population is equal in representation to a state of 10,000,000 , I'm talking about 2 Senators per state?

I'm not from the US but shouldn't Americans find this horrible too? what is the reason for this

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
truly scary and sad shit.

how much must people bear before they truly start to give a shit and push back? i guess when it affects them personally?

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
That's not true. History is one of ebbs & flows. There's always reactionary backlash to progressivism. But in the end, society takes two steps forward for every step back.

The enemy of progress isn't conflict, it's apathy.
I would agree with you in broad strokes for most times before the 21st century.

As of now the continuing climate catastrophe for me is both ahistorical and allows for backsliding on a rather unprecedented scale potentially. We can lose like we never have before.

Well, it's gonna be quite a time in any case

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Fucking awful shit, but I'm definitely of the mind that whoever leaked this wanted to fuck up the GOP's timeline narrative for this whole thing.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Heads up:

If in a moment this perilous; a moment where the "Bad Guy" has never been clearer...you can still only fix your fingers to talk about how much the Democrats suck?

You need to step away from your computer, or your mobile device...and find the nearest mirror to take a long hard look in.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Heads up:

If in a moment this perilous; a moment where the "Bad Guy" has never been clearer...you can still only fix your fingers to talk about how much the Democrats suck?

You need to step away from your computer, or your mobile device...and find the nearest mirror to take a long hard look in.
+1

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Just illustrating my point more and more. There will never be any hope if you can't even acknowledge the system is broken.
Funny, I personally knew three people that also said the system was broken (who didn't start saying that until late in the Dem primary), and rather than attempt to do anything they chose to sit at home in their swing state (Florida).

I don't talk to them anymore.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
go read some history on backsliding democracies that are hitting all the landmarks we are and let me know how many actually magically reverse the trends to become highly functioning democracies without either hitting failed state/authoritarian status or requiring outside intervention.

The prevailing argument for why America won't end up like any number of post WWI European, South American, Central American, Post Soviet, and Eastern European countries that backslid into authoritarianism or illiberal democracy essentially comes down to: America is just better….It's not a strong argument
Literally none of the mechanisms that lead to failed states exists in the US. The US has a strong economy, welfare policies, freedom of speech, strong geopolitical relations and a crazy amount of checks to political overreach. In fact, some of laws that hinder the US from progressing also prevent it from collapsing. You have to be oblivious to history to not realize the regular loop the US is and has always been in

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
Gotta fight against this shit forever, cause they'll always look for opportunities to try to knock us back to "the good ol' days".

Sucks ass progress can't just permanently stick, but we're dealing with shitty ass people so gotta keep pushing back.

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
I still find it strange where a US state of 100,000 population is equal in representation to a state of 10,000,000 , I'm talking about 2 Senators per state?

I'm not from the US but shouldn't Americans find this horrible too? what is the reason for this

A long time ago a bunch of old idiots made a bunch of stupid decisions and one of them was giving representation to invisible boundary lines drawn on a map and now we all pay the price for it.

Oct 25, 2017
newman-maps-980.jpg
You need to equalize geographical maps for density and have a gradient for the spectrum of voting results. A 51/49 split should not be the same color as a 99-1 split.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
Funny, I personally knew three people that also said the system was broken (who didn't start saying that until late in the Dem primary), and rather than attempt to do anything they chose to sit at home in their swing state (Florida).

This system is still broken. I vote but I know my work outside the political process is much more impactful in my community.

Literally none of the mechanisms that lead to failed states exists in the US. The US has a strong economy, welfare policies, freedom of speech, strong geopolitical relations and a crazy amount of checks to political overreach. In fact, some of laws that hinder the US from progressing also prevent it from collapsing. You have to be oblivious to history to not realize the regular loop the US is and has always been in

While history may gives us hints in many ways, I don't think we should pretend that it can't happen here. It can and has. Now, how far will it slide? We don't know.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Heads up:

Might as well not even bother. The first thing this stuff brings out is attacking the voters, despite the majority of them doing what they were supposed to do. It's clear that most of these people will never point the finger where it belongs.

This is a weak gatcha attempt, and does nothing at all to address anything I said. But keep attacking the voters. For the system is perfect, and forever shall be