• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020

grand

Oct 25, 2017
I truly believe the USA as a country is doomed and as such truly hope that at some point in my life I'll be able to witness blue states seceding, no matter how unlikely that possibility is. There's simply too many flaws in the USA's democracy which enable bullshit like this.
You're being way too pessimistic. The US has survived far worse and more horrendous violations of civil rights.

Nola

Oct 29, 2017
3rd parties didn't sway the 2016 election
People that stayed home and didn't vote for Hilary did though, and that includes moron third party voters, dumbfuck "her emails," and shitstain centrists and lefties that regurgitated ridiculous sexist attacks piled on since the early 90's.

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like poor timing for the GOP considering midterms are right around the corner.
Even if the Democrats somehow win seats in both the House and Senate, what makes you think they'd do anything about this?

Introduce a law that this court will strike down? The party has made it clear they do not want to stack the court.

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
It's not as easy as chalking it up to simply red states/blue states. Austin, Atlanta, Houston, New Orleans, and pretty much any city in the country are going to be more to the left than, say, rural Oregon that has a ton of history with nazis and skinheads.

I genuinely don't know how you fix pockets of blue in an ocean of red.

2020_United_States_presidential_election_results_map_by_county.png
You aren't wrong, but this chart is slightly misleading. All those areas of red, while red, are not HEAVILY populated I think.

This fucking sucks and it's disgusting. Ugh.

My small bit of hope is the GOP will honestly have no idea what to fucking run on when you take out 80% of their platform. Dog catching the tail.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sorry. I just moved out of Texas for similar reasons. Texas will likely go after people for getting out of state abortions at some point. It doesn't help that even in all this craziness so many in Texas are okay with things, just judging by poll numbers.

I vaguely recall either Illinois or Ohio already pushing for that. And you know someone is going to eventually push for a ban that completely disregards residency, because fuck everything I guess.

And y'know, growing up around white moderate New York Republicans, this is what they believed the world was like. That there were intrinsically good and bad places and that was that. Texas is a godawful shithole? Fine, just don't ever go there. Never step foot unless you can handle the customs and God pray if you're unlucky enough to have been born there. Well, belief becomes reality, and we're gonna see just how bad it can possibly get. And I legitimately pray for everyone trying to get out. Godspeed.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Disgusting! If the Democrats don't crush in the midterms then this country is far gone.

The democrats winning will do nothing, democrats don't do shit in the face of republican control no matter if they are in the minority or majority. They are fucking worthless as a governing party. Being less bad than the republican party doesn't mean shit when they cant stop republicans from dismantling rights and attacking rights.

Nola

Oct 29, 2017
You're being way too pessimistic. The US has survived far worse and more horrendous violations of civil rights.
The country was moving forward most of that way, the history of countries democratically backsliding in this manner has a rather one way track record until they hit rock bottom, stay there for a long time, then it's a crapshoot whether they just end up as permanent failed states or get shocked out..but in the modern world they mostly stay failed

Americans just paint their situation with racist exceptionalism, that only those dirty countries end up illiberal democracies or full blown failed states, but America ain't that special that we have a type of human being living here that is immune to the triggers all those backsliding countries encountered

grand

Oct 25, 2017
People that stayed home and didn't vote for Hilary did though, and that includes moron third party voters, dumbfuck "her emails," and shitstain centrists and lefties that regurgitated ridiculous sexist attacks piled on since the early 90's.
You've expanded your attack

May 21, 2018
Empty Space Doesnt Vote though. Red is a very deceptive color on the map.

The senate has to be abolished in order to correct this minority rule abomination that our government has become.

But of course that's not going to happen.

My silver lining to all this is that the ruling motivates people who sat at the sidelines and hemmed and hawed about Biden and the Democrats finally take a side and vote blue in November. Hopefully.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020

Hilary won the popular vote by over 3 million. The majority of people did their job. The 2016 election was decided by less than 10,000 votes across three states that had heavy voter suppression. The system is rigged. You're just attacking the people who did what they were supposed to do.

probably 2 lifetimes, isn't the SC 6-3 now?

It is

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Great. So at LEAST TWO ACCUSED RAPISTS got to vote on abortion rights.

Forget walking out of work: REFUSE SEX WITH ANY MALE. Until they can control their bodies, no man gets to touch them.

Honestly, maybe women should just go on strike and refuse to get married or procreate seeing as humankind isn't entirely worth extending into the future knowing what our own children may have to live through, at least in the states anyways.

Cynical, I know.
Yup, fully co-signed on these too.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Imagine if Hillary had won.
"I just don't feel like I could get a beer with Hillary. Sure the other guy is a literal rapist, like honest to god on tape talking about sexually assaulting women and how easy it is, but man, I need that beer vibe, you know? Both sides."

We're still dealing with the consequences of the most transparent misogyny in modern history and will be for decades. And yes, every single person who didn't vote/protest voted contributed to this.

Rune Walsh

Too many boners
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who lives in a red state, I will push my daughter to move out of here when she can. I don't want her to live in fear of having carry an unwanted baby to term. I know people will argue with me but if you think protesting is going to get you anything, good luck. We're way past that point in America.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
46.86% of American voters openly support Trump and the GOP, people who tried to establish an authoritarian dictatorship. Once the Republicans get control of the presidency, House of Representatives and Senate they'll be free to establish that and at that point there will be no way back.

Sky Chief

Oct 30, 2017
Maddow just said that Wash Post this morning reported that the plan was to overturn Roe and then if R's win the House and Senate they will pass a federal ban on abortion

wingkongex

Aug 25, 2019
Even if the Democrats somehow win seats in both the House and Senate, what makes you think they'd do anything about this?

Introduce a law that this court will strike down? The party has made it clear they do not want to stack the court.

Public outcry could change that sentiment, though. I agree that it's highly unlikely but this decision will cause a firestorm.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
I'm just numb at this point, dulled, tired.

And that's exactly what they want.

This is heartbreaking. Made utterly heartbreaking by the fact that this is not the end. Republicans will roll us back to the Stone Age. Republicans will rob me (and people like me) of my personhood multiple times over until my Black ass is back in chains. This is not hyperbole. Bit by bit, this is the end-game. And Black folks know it. Been knew it.

This is why you fight. This is why you do what you can to protect as much of your peace as you can. Because the last thing you have to give up is your will to fight. To dance with the devil. To vote even if it's just to stop the other person. Voting for the lesser of two evils has never been the weak thing. It has always been the valiant thing. Because no matter what, no gain is permanent and it can always get worse. This is the very thing many of us have been fighting for people to understand.

Tonight I'm going to drink. I'm going to commune with my friends and love ones. Then tomorrow, I'm going to continue fighting for Democracy.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
The democrats winning will do nothing, democrats don't do shit in the face of republican control no matter if they are in the minority or majority. They are fucking worthless as a governing party. Being less bad than the republican party doesn't mean shit when they cant stop republicans from dismantling rights and attacking rights.

So there's nothing to be done, then, huh? Just roll over and die?

grand

Oct 25, 2017
The country was moving forward most of that way, the history of countries backsliding has a rather one way track record until they hit rock bottom, stay there for a long time, then it's a crapshoot whether they just end up as permanent failed states or slowly climb out.
That's not true. History is one of ebbs & flows. There's always reactionary backlash to progressivism. But in the end, society takes two steps forward for every step back.

The enemy of progress isn't conflict, it's apathy.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
I think this will galvanize the left this midterm. We need two senate pick ups. I think we can get them and when we do, you better believe the court will be stacked because now people see the end game they swore 'would never happen".

I imagine this also pisses off Mitch and company because this can completely change the energy of the election.

they don't care about elections (that much) anymore. they will challenge every single critical race, and sue up to the supreme court if necessary.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
It is the voter's fault if they made the conscious decision to not vote.

Hilary won the popular vote by over 3 million. The majority of people did their job. The 2016 election was decided by less than 10,000 votes across three states that had heavy voter suppression. The system is rigged. You're just attacking the people who did what they were supposed to do.

Just illustrating my point more and more. There will never be any hope if you can't even acknowledge the system is broken.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
That's not true. History is one of ebbs & flows. There's always reactionary backlash to progressivism. But in the end, society takes two steps forward for every step back.

The enemy of progress isn't conflict, it's apathy.

We're currently in an example of society trying to take six steps backward in response to one step forward. Things aren't improving anywhere else, everything JUST keeps getting worse.

cDNA

Oct 25, 2017
Democrats winning in 2016 would have prevented this decision easily. Winning the senate in 2014 too.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
46.86% of American voters openly support Trump and the GOP, people who tried to establish an authoritarian dictatorship. Once the Republicans get control of the presidency, House of Representatives and Senate they'll be free to establish that and at that point there will be no way back.
That's not how it works

Geode

Oct 27, 2017
It's crazy in 14 years we've gone from being on the cusp of a liberal revolution to being nearly swept by a fascist tide. Just depressing.
Well I wonder what Democrats will do now? Platform on bringing abortion rights back nationally or just drop it and leave it to the states?