• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
Literally nobody voting for him will care as long as he keeps the hateful rhetoric coming.

Drek

Oct 27, 2017
So he's toast right? That's a big no no to the Tucker Carlson crowd.
I live in what is currently Cawthorne's district, but I'm just south of the very liberal city of Asheville, NC. The district gets redrawn every time as the GOP try protecting the seat and holding Asheville/Buncombe to as few state seats as possible. I'm close enough to Asheville that the "ring" from Henderson county to protect the seat will likely be too far to include me.

That was already known, the GOP lost to the state Supreme Court (Dems won the majority of statewide seats including it the last cycle despite the GOP still controlling the state houses via jerrymander). Their new map got thrown out. Before that Cawthorne was already trying to switch to a new, safer district closer to Charlotte than Asheville.

He has a full field of primary challengers, all labelling him a carpet bagger for that and not having "real mountain values" (this is the lower range of the Appalachian Mtns.).

Personally I get along fine here as I grew up on the other end of the chain in northern Maine in pulp cutting/farming country pretty similar to here. Instead of moonshining we grew pot, but ces la vie.

A recent finance report indicated that Cathorne was eating shit in fundraising of late with a non-trivial amount of income going to legal fees.

His problem isn't about the base not buying his narrative, its that they're just getting sick of the spectacle. Conservative here means conservative in outward demeanor too.

Some level of congressional defense is already being played by the GOP, so they can probably save the seat, but its looking more and more like Cawthorne might get dumped in the primary to bolster that effort.

DazzlerIE

Oct 25, 2017
I nipped over to see what the galaxy brains of r/conservative had to say about this and there's unsurprisingly no mention of it. Plenty of posts about Disney, CRT and other made up boogeymen tho. It must be exhausting living your life in a constant state of fear like that

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
dude's a grade A knob and i hope his political career fizzles asap but this is a nothing burger

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
I'm of two minds on this.

On one hand, as a Queer person who has never cared about gender restrictions when it comes to clothing, I want to view this as a big old nothing.

But, on the other hand, deplorables like Cawthorne would absolutely be using something like this as an example of the LGBTQIA+ "attack on masculinity" if this were ANYONE else.

So, like, Cawthorne... I don't care if this is just you having fun at a party. Good for you, but you would NOT be giving this grace to any other man.

So fuck you.

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't he go on some puritan Christian hocus pocus bullshit denouncing this very stuff while in the halls of congress? The issue, as always, is not that such actions are being done, it's by who. More specifically, those denouncing it in public but being completely zen with doing it when the cameras are out of their faces.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017

On one hand, as a Queer person who has never cared about gender restrictions when it comes to clothing, I want to view this as a big old nothing.

But, on the other hand, deplorables like Cawthorne would absolutely be using something like this as an example of the LGBTQIA+ "attack on masculinity" if this were ANYONE else.

So, like, Cawthorne... I don't care if this is just you having fun at a party. Good for you, but you would NOT be giving this grace to any other man.

So fuck you.
Same. Scum.

GGenoGold24

Banned
Feb 21, 2022
Literally nobody voting for him will care as long as he keeps the hateful rhetoric coming.

Absolutely wrong.

Take it from an ex-Neo-Nazi: Madison Cawthorn fucked up. It's one thing to be a pedophile, or a racist, or a rapist. But dressing like a woman and attending 'liberal' parties is a big no-no.

The Neo-Nazis are going to call him controlled opposition. The Christians are going to call him sinful. That's his two principal blocks turning on him.

The timing even makes me think this might've been a Republican leak. There is, after all, no love for Madison Cawthorn in the Republican Party.

I treat Republicans by their own standards. If they want to live in a hellscape reality, then I treat them like we're in their hellscape reality.

Last edited:

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018

So fuck you.

Same here. I don't actually care that he's wearing lingerie. I don't care for gender restrictions in clothing and think they shouldn't exist. Let people wear what they want.

Cawthorne, however, is a shitty person so I hope this sinks his career.

Darth Pinche

Oct 27, 2017
First of all, to hell with this guy.
But is it just me or does it look like he's wearing a Mithril undershirt? Maybe he's just a Hobbit on the DL?

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017

So fuck you.
Nothing more to say.

Fuck'em.

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
We had like 9 women come forward with accusations of sexual assault and harassment. It didn't move the needle. We had more than enough crap on Trump, his base just didn't care.
I agree but there's something about a photo like this that just sets em off like crazy. Much more than a bunch of gold diggers. << obviously just what they would say. If there had been a photo of Trump like this... Horrific I know... But not sure he could have weathered it.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
I agree but there's something about a photo like this that just sets em off like crazy. Much more than a bunch of gold diggers. << obviously just what they would say. If there had been a photo of Trump like this... Horrific I know... But not sure he could have weathered it.
We had video, remember? Grab em by the pussy?

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017

So fuck you.

It doesn't hold up to his own so-called logic. If he means all the terrible shit he says, then he shouldn't be wearing lingerie even as a joke. And if he can wear it as a joke, why can't other people do it as part of their day to day lives while they're minding their own business? This dude is trash.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
yeah...my reaction to this thread is "so what".

I don't like the guy, and republicans are hypocrites, but I don't even think this really rates? I mean, that Rudy Guliani stuff is ancient history and didn't matter--and frankly shouldn't matter tbh.

I actually think he looks good 🤷‍♂️ But the hypocrisy rates, yeah. The guy is toxic hypermasculinity in the flesh, it's his entire public persona.

What is most unfortunate is the combination of ignorance to trans issues and the social media impulse to out-edge everyone else for clicks, which is leading to people saying some gross, transphobic, homophobic shit. It's hard to swallow queerness becoming the butt of the joke in the efforts to dunk on this piece of shit. Just like every other time something like this happens to be perfectly honest. If only we could keep it at "ha ha you're such a hypocrite" and not "ha ha you like to wear girl clothes" or "ha ha you must like dick"

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I kinda hate when something like this happens, even the left can't avoid their conservative side on these moments

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely wrong.

Take it from an ex-Neo-Nazi: Madison Cawthorn fucked up. It's one thing to be a pedophile, or a racist, or a rapist. But dressing like a woman and attending 'liberal' parties is a big no-no.

The Neo-Nazis are going to call him controlled opposition. The Christians are going to call him sinful. That's his two principal blocks turning on him.

The timing even makes me think this might've been a Republican leak. There is, after all, no love for Madison Cawthorn in the Republican Party.

I treat Republicans by their own standards. If they want to live in a hellscape reality, then I treat them like we're in their hellscape reality.

An ex-Neo-Nazi?

Hecht

Blue light comes around
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
I kinda hate when something like this happens, even the left can't avoid their conservative side on these moments
tbh...I get it. The right spends a continuous, neverending amount of time rallying against this sort of thing. Constantly. And then the finest crack appears in their "masculinity" bullshit, and it kinda makes sense to exploit it. I mean, far be it for me to begrudge someone for dressing in women's clothing - that's not the point. The point is the hypocrisy.

I think there is a difference between exposing the hypocrisy and "making fun" of the cross-dressing. There's a nuance there that really should exist - it's not that we condemn his behavior. It's that we look at it and understand that all of his PUBLIC behavior beforehand is hypocritical to the observed behavior.

I think there's a difference between assuming Cawthorn is a "hidden drag queen" and a "hypocritical opportunist." Sure, he may have done this one thing, but it probably isn't his identity, nor is it something he does often. All that said, he still did it, and it flies completely in the face of his "EXTREME REPUBLICAN MASCULINITY" narrative, and he should be called out for it. But calling his bullshit out shouldn't be some sort of condemnation of the left. If we assume that, sure, ok, this is who he is, it does not suddenly erase his shitty behavior before.

Oct 25, 2017
Charles Dickens would want to see those nipples.

"Y-you can hardly even see them nipples!"
"Yeah, and he's really looking!"

nGMrD.gif