• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Taka

Apr 27, 2018
www.politico.com

How Biden destroyed Trump’s TV ad ‘death star’

The Democrat’s fundraising gusher has enabled a national ad strategy that’s helped put reach states in play.

Biden is saturating the airwaves and outgunning his opponent by a margin of about $178 million in ad buys from June 1 through Election Day, according to data from the media-tracking firm Advertising Analytics.

Beyond the messages that both sides relay in their commercials, the ad buys themselves tell the story of the state of the presidential race — particularly the way that the Biden campaign deployed freighter-loads of cash to gain an advantage over Trump in national and many battleground polls.

"What Biden's campaign is doing is pretty unique," said John Link, vice president of Advertising Analytics, which provided the data for this story.
Of the $421 million Biden has spent and reserved on TV, a higher portion than usual for campaigns — 15 percent — is on nationwide cable and broadcast TV programs seen by the nation's 208 local markets, whether they're in a swing state like Arizona, a blue state like Massachusetts or a red state like Idaho.

Biden's national buys are seen as a key ingredient in making former swing states like Ohio and Iowa look like battlegrounds again. The campaign is advertising heavily on shows such as Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy, which are popular among seniors, and older people especially are watching more TV during the pandemic.
Normally, presidential campaigns prefer a targeted approach of buying ads in local markets in battleground states, with relatively few national buys. That usually means presidential campaigns, in effect, are running 10 or fewer related statewide races.

But in late spring, Biden's campaign saw the map starting to expand in his favor, with as many as 17 states in play. Trump's standing in polls were plummeting over his handling of coronavirus while historic sums of campaign donations began flooding into the Democrat's coffers.

At the same time, ad rates purchased through stations in battlegrounds with major Senate races — such as Arizona, North Carolina and Georgia – were so high that the Biden campaign calculated it could spend slightly more money on ads purchased through the national networks. Those spots would obviously have the benefit of reaching all the swing states — even the biggest reaches for him, like Texas.

The economies of scale achieved by buying national ads in bulk and reaching a broader audience would ironically save money, the campaign concluded.
The scale of Biden's fundraising and ad buying have been jarring for Trump's campaign, which once likened the president's now-evaporated advantage to the "Death Star."
Nick Everhart, a veteran Republican ad consultant, said the combination of Trump's troubles and Biden's ad spending and placement are showing up in polls. States such as Texas, Ohio and Iowa look more in play than anyone expected at the start of the campaign cycle.

"A lot of the movement in some of these red-leaning states has been from white people over 55 who are at home during the pandemic and watching a lot of 'Wheel of Fortune,' a lot of 'Jeopardy' and a lot of local news," Everhart said. "The way those seniors have broken to Biden, in conjunction with how the president has handled the pandemic, looks like it's paying off."

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
I live just outside of Pennsylvania, and I have been seeing a TON of Biden ads, especially the Army Vehicle one and the John McCain one, as well as PA-specific ads about how to actually mail in your ballot. I basically only see Trump ads during Wrestling on Wednesdays, and it's always the same ad, which is a bunch of business owners talking about Joe raising taxes

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Ah yes, they referred to their strategy as a titanic, internally sabotaged dick wave that was the downfall of the Empire, *twice*.

Well, I'll give them credit for apt naming conventions.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
I've barely seen any Trump ads in NY since the summer, but have seen a ton of Biden ads.

Claude Kenni

Oct 25, 2017
Only really encounter ads on Pluto TV and YouTube but Biden ads are a continuous presence here in Minnesota while the Trump ads that were present for a little while have basically stopped.

Rhowm

Nov 27, 2017
It was Trump's older campaign manager Parscale who used 'firing the death star'. Ironically , he was the one who got fired, lol

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
I know this has basically already been said but Parscale naming the fundraising campaign for Trump after something that famously blew up (twice!) due to totally preventable vulnerabilities is just hilariously on-the-nose.

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait to find out some of Trump's ad money was diverted to pay off some of the $400 plus million he owes.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
Biden right now:

749.gif

Here in PA I've seen a lot of TV/YouTube ads for Biden. Only some for Trump. But I've seen about the same number of mail-in ads for Trump as I've seen Biden.

Zache

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I went from basically seeing only Trump ads on YouTube to 5:1 Biden ads without changing the content I watch.

Shoe

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Anecdotally, I'm in a battleground state and I don't think I've seen a single Trump ad in months, whereas Biden ads are pretty prolific. The Senate race is much more even, but Trump is just getting btfo when it comes to advertising.

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
While poking fun at the Death Star analogy is fun, I'm not sure it's exactly apt given what's actually happening. The Death Star was blown up by a single small, precisely-targeted strike that triggered a chain reaction. The whole point of the article is that Biden is shelling out more money than we typically see into large-scale national ad-buys rather than being more sparing and targeting specific states and markets. This feels more like Trump's Death Star is exploding because it was fired at by another Death Star laser.

To be clear I'm totally fine that it's happening either way.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While poking fun at the Death Star analogy is fun, I'm not sure it's exactly apt given what's actually happening. The Death Star was blown up by a single small, precisely-targeted strike that triggered a chain reaction. The whole point of the article is that Biden is shelling out more money than we typically see into large-scale national ad-buys rather than being more sparing and targeting specific states and markets. This feels more like Trump's Death Star is exploding because it was fired at by another Death Star laser.

Biden is obviously an analogy for the force itself

JayCB64

Oct 25, 2017
Wales
dammit i was kinda hoping for one of you guys' weird political adverts where biden blows up the death star..

Oct 27, 2017

The DS was undone by Luke embracing the Force, a more powerful energy that spans the entire galaxy.

The analogy still works!

MisterSnrub

Mar 10, 2018
Someplace Far Away
yeah the death star got blown the fuck up though

i know bannon acolytes love to describe their stuff in villainous terms but it just makes it all the more satisfying when the allied non-shitheads show up and destroy it all

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
Republicans only watch the first half of any movie because they don't really like the part where the bad guy loses.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Basically Biden had enough of a cash advantage that he was able to invest in normally risky states and nationwide ads that allowed him to expand his base without needing to give an inch on the more traditional swing states

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He has a great digital team too. For all the talk about how massive an advantage Trump had with ad experts etc. Biden has one hell of a team behind him. Even the Beastie Boys for the first time licensed their music for biden to use