• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
For these kids, especially seniors in HS and College, this will effect and scar them essentially for the rest of their lives. I feel awful for the things they will miss out on.

... I just realized there isn't going to be a high school prom this year.

Man that sucks for those kids.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Most colleges in Chicago have moved online for the remainder of the Spring semester. I'm guessing that's the way forward.

ryseing

Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
Maybe where you live. Here (Canada) they could be doing calculus, physics, chemistry, computer science, etc.

In the States, second semester senior year is very much "enjoy yourself before college starts" as college applications are already in by then.

After working my tail off for 3.5 years, it was nice basically only being in school for a half day. Honestly one of the best times of my life.

Lonewulfeus

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love this! You're a good person. My sister is a Family Nurse Practitioner and is swamped at work, her fiancĆ© is a tech in the medical field as well, plus my sis is expecting in August sooooo she's stressing about how my 2nd Grader nephew is going to continue his learning remotely and if that'll impact either of their jobs. We don't live near each other so I've volunteered to do whatever I can to help him with his studies even if it means teaching him by working through whatever materials the school recommends. I mean, my county is on lockdown too so it's not like I'll be going anywhere anyway šŸ˜

Thanks! I'm not doing anything right now so it's a nice, if stressful, change of pace lol. When she lived with us for a time I was picking him up from school and making sure he did his homework so this is just a continuation of that basically.

TheBryanJZX90

Nov 29, 2017
Man this one piece of news switched me from this is going to be hard but we will be OK to holy shit how are we going to get through this... don't have an answer yet.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
In case anyone is interested, here's what's being communicated to us so far:

How will the closures impact the school year? Will we have to make up lost days at the end of the school year?

No. The Governor's Executive Order N-26-20 allows school districts to continue to receive uninterrupted funding from the state and the closures will not impact the requirement of the instructional calendar if the District's Superintendent certifies that the closure occurred to address COVID-19. Our school year will end on June 4, 2020.

How do we continue to provide access to learning for ALL students?

While we were preparing for the potential shutdown, and possible at-home learning opportunities, there was conflicting information from the California Department of Education and US Department of Education which caused us to pause our plan. Specifically, a legal analysis of the guidance provided that: "...given the potential equity issues, and potential for related liability claims, LEAs (school districts) should consider delaying implementation at least until Tuesday March 17, when CDE (California Department of Education) and HHSA (Health and Human Services Agency) are expected to issue their guidance." This guidance was important for us to follow as we believe all students should have access to learning and we anticipate that potential legal issues are now being addressed by the Governor. As of the end of the business day today, March 17, we are awaiting guidance.

What can I do if I do not have access to a computing device at home?

We want to ensure all of our students have access to a device. If you need a device, or your student left their district issued device at their school, please complete this FORM. Our site techs will be in contact to arrange for device pickup. Please note that you will be asked to sign a loan agreement when picking up the Chromebook and will be asked to return the device when we return to school.

What can I do if I do not have internet access at home?

Please contact your site principal to request assistance with Internet access. Alternatively, you may contact Comcast directly about their free Internet Essentials broadband and Wi-Fi access for 60 days for households with K-12 and/or college students who do not already have a Comcast broadband subscription. To enroll call 1-855-846-8376 or visit https://www.internetessentials.com/.

What is the district's plan for At-Home Learning?

We have been diligently working on our plan to support learning at-home for the duration of the school closures. We are fortunate to have access to a level of technology resources and support that many districts simply do not, and our plan is built around using the tools our students and teachers are familiar with, including Google Classroom, Seesaw and Google Docs and Slides. However, that does not mean everyone has the same access or support at home. While providing equitable access for all students represents a significant challenge, we are committed to supporting all of our families in continuing to access learning opportunities during the school closures.

Our technology department is in the process of assessing family needs for devices and wifi and setting up the logistics for providing access for all students. We have developed resources and an online learning framework for our teachers to move forward with in supporting student learning at home. This week, we are focusing on developing training and providing professional development for teachers to help them transition to supporting students learning at-home. We will be training all teachers on Thursday and Friday in preparation for launching our at-home learning program starting on Monday, March 23rd. Information about how to access the online learning resources will be communicated by the end of this week.

As we roll out our at-home learning plan, we would like to recognize that no online learning environment can possibly replicate the face-to-face classroom experience we're used to in our schools. Our goal with providing at-home learning is to promote opportunities for students to engage in learning essential knowledge and skills that they will need to be successful when face-to-face classroom learning resumes. We also recognize that this transition will be new for students and families. For the first two weeks, our plans will focus on shifting students to an online learning environment through the use of consistent tools and routines.

My child has an IEP. What does this mean for my child?

Students with IEP's have unique learning goals and needs. Our Director of Special Education is in contact with our County Office of Education and will be providing updates on what learning and services will look like for your child as soon as that guidance is provided. We will do everything we possibly can to minimize the negative impacts of school closures on our students and families.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
Realistically, all of these time scales depend on the degree and effectiveness of what we're doing to slow down the spread of the virus.

If we could slow it down as much as China has by August, it's hard to imagine schools not coming back for Fall.

Lonewulfeus

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is an unprecedented situation, no one knows what can or will happen at this point. It's possible that schools don't reopen this calendar year yes.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
I say go ahead and fast-track Planet of the Apes Vaccine. I want to go back to work.

Trevelyan

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My mother in law is a teacher in CA, and yeah, she's heard things aren't re-opening. Thankfully for us, its great, since we can save money by letting our nanny go and she can help us watch/teach our kids.

ryseing

Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
Realistically, all of these time scales depend on the degree and effectiveness of what we're doing to slow down the spread of the virus.

If we could slow it down as much as China has by August, it's hard to imagine schools not coming back for Fall.

The problem is what happens when we do reopen. It might then spiral according to that Imperial College report that is going around.

Yamajian

Oct 30, 2017
I know nobody has the answers, but it's going to be tough for millions of parents to work from home while also taking care of their kids. A week or two is not so bad, but 3-6 months? That may not fly.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
they might remain closed until 2021. I think it will happen.

Universities can operate in a restricted fashion with online courses or very limited and small classes.

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017
To the teachers in this thread: You might already know this but if not then be aware Microsoft has just made MS Teams free for everyone for the rest of the year. It's very easy and fast to setup a team (think school class) which the kids can access from a computer or tablet. The teacher can arrange video conferences and share his/her screen with the whole class so they can both see and hear the teachings.

By no means a perfect substitute from being in class but it's a lot better than just saying "no classes until next year".

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, I'm a substitute in CA and just applied for unemployment today. Though, the way things are currently going, I doubt I'm seeing those benefits anytime soon.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
To the teachers in this thread: You might already know this but if not then be aware Microsoft has just made MS Teams free for everyone for the rest of the year. It's very easy and fast to setup a team (think school class) which the kids can access from a computer or tablet. The teacher can arrange video conferences and share his/her screen with the whole class so they can both see and hear the teachings.

By no means a perfect substitute from being in class but it's a lot better than just saying "no classes until next year".
Zoom has also relaxed their 40 minute limit on their free tier for people who sign up with their school email addresses.

Deleted member 30681

user requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
I'm not sure and frankly really worried about what will happen with me and my school I'm transferring to. I registered for the summer semester, and I have to attend otherwise my acceptance is null and void. I'm debating if I should wait until we hear news about the summer semester and what will happen or if I should fill out a new application for the fall and hope things are ironed out from there.

Going to wait until the first week of April to decide. If they still don't have something by then I might just go through the entire process again.

OP
OP
Fushichou187

Fushichou187

Nov 1, 2017
Sonoma County, California.

Thanks for this! I'm going to look into it as a possible solution for my nephew and I.

HammerOfThor

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I've had a feeling this will be the case here in Chicago. I think our biggest saving grace at this point will be that the summer fucks up the virus and gives us some breathing room while we wait for a vaccine.

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
You think schools are going to be closed for another year and a half? Wut?

I mean, most statistical models indicate that we'll end up in the same situation if we end social distancing before a vaccine is finalized. I'm sure people will ignore the experts, again, and send everyone back to work and school before we really should, but if we were smart, we'd be very hesitant to just go back to the way things were in a couple of months because that's how things are "supposed to be".

Oct 27, 2017
And if you are planning and able to go to college/university in the fall, you may be working to have a few of your classes count for academic credit at your next school. They may not be able to administer those qualification tests.

Fortunately where I live (in Canada) the government will be changing university admission requirements to accommodate this suspension of the school year.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
We're waiting to hear about graduation requirements, as it's really confusing. I'm not even sure if I can legally grade work my students do at home or require them to do it at this point, to be honest.

Lyndis Lorca

Oct 25, 2017
Still have no idea what's happening with my credential program.

CSUF still taking a wait and see approach. Heard fuck all from the CTC and Pearson.

"Keep working with your Master Teacher if doing online instruction." Not much to plan if we insist on following the curriculum and just having kids read, do Double Entry Journals, and answer questions in their Springboard. /:

Autumn

Avenger
Apr 1, 2018
I'm ruined. I'll probably lose my job. I just left my job last month to work at a school. I'm still a temp do I get no benefits. I don't know what to do.

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hartford, CT
... I just realized there isn't going to be a high school prom this year.

Man that sucks for those kids.

Yup. Some of my favorite teenage memories being my junior and senior proms and those kids wont get to have anything like that.

I fully believe classes will resume in the fall because the testing system will be much more advanced than now for Covid.

ErrorJustin

Oct 28, 2017
He's just saying loudly what EVERYONE has been saying quietly.

As usual, as with most things, this will impact poor kids the most :/

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a substitute in California. Can I get unemployment? I'm not getting paid during any of this.
Should be able to.

Reduced Work Hours
If your employer has reduced your hours or shut down operations due to COVID-19, you can file an Unemployment Insurance (UI) claim. UI provides partial wage replacement benefit payments to workers who lose their job or have their hours reduced, through no fault of their own. Workers who are temporarily unemployed due to COVID-19 and expected to return to work with their employer within a few weeks are not required to actively seek work each week. However, they must remain able and available and ready to work during their unemployment for each week of benefits claimed and meet all other eligibility criteria. Eligible individuals can receive benefits that range from $40-$450 per week.

The Governor's Executive Order waives the one-week unpaid waiting period, so you can collect UI benefits for the first week you are out of work. If you are eligible, the EDD processes and issues payments within a few weeks of receiving a claim.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
Yup. Some of my favorite teenage memories being my junior and senior proms and those kids wont get to have anything like that.

I fully believe classes will resume in the fall because the testing system will be much more advanced than now for Covid.

Basically. Even if our capacity to deal with cases ramps up. I can't see the current situation of lockdowns and closed businesses enduring much past mid-April, folks won't stand for it.

GalacticToast

Oct 25, 2017
I'm an English teacher and I'm heartbroken for my seniors. They went in went Trump was elected and their final year is ruined because of this shit.

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Basically. Even if our capacity to deal with cases ramps up. I can't see the current situation of lockdowns and closed businesses enduring much past mid-April, folks won't stand for it.

Well, they either stand or a lot of people will die. Best case scenario is achieving something similar to South Korea or Singapure, but good luck convincing people and governments to do all the steps required.

Ooopsklo

Banned
Aug 20, 2019
Well, they either stand or a lot of people will die. Best case scenario is achieving something similar to South Korea or Singapure, but good luck convincing people and governments to do all the steps required.
As bad as it sounds I think people would honestly sacrifice the whatever millions of lives to return to normalcy

EN1GMA

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
Ontario (Canada) K-12 public schools are closed until April 6. I fully expect that to be extended at the very least and won't be surprised if kids don't go back until September.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I'm a teacher in Texas and while this isn't official yet, it seems like it's only a matter of time. No one wants to be the one to say it. Once I heard STAAR was cancelled/waived, I felt like that was confirmation that the school year was all but over without actually confirming it.

My district is still tentatively scheduled to reopen on the 30th, but all the ISDs around have extended until the middle of April, so I'm expecting the same for us come next update (which is apparently coming Tuesday), especially since they're holding online meetings on Friday and Monday to train us on how they want us to run online classes.

I'm expecting a very hastily put together way to teach online, not counting this quarter towards promoting students onto the next grade at all, and basically just looking at data from the first semester and the first half of the second on determining if kids advance to the next grade.