• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I work in a low-income district here in S.Cal and predicted as much.

The problem is quite dire however given that distance learning isn't viable because of how many of our kids don't have reliable broadband. (We sent them home on Friday with Chromebooks but that was basically a token gesture)

Then you have the issue of graduation, graduating seniors, etc.

Even if we go back sometime after April, this year is effectively finished and I sincerely hope they don't try and make us administer the CAASP.

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I'm not surprised by this. Its clear that its not going to be so easy to get kids back into school and even if they do too much time has been lost to even consider the grades from this term valid. Here in Florida parents will be the ones to decide if their kids move onto the next grade for the next school year.

www.palmbeachpost.com

Gov. DeSantis says K-12 schools must stay closed until April 15, classes to resume remotely

Florida students in kindergarten through 12th grades will stay off school campuses until at least April 15 because of the coronavirus pandemic, but they will begin some type of online or remote instr…

Lonewulfeus

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm helping my 9 year old nephew with his work each day, so far the only his English class has assigned work through his google classroom. Hopefully math will be coming any day now. The English teacher sent home her basic format for the class and we've been following that as best as we can. So far this isn't drastically different from any online classes I took in the past, now how effective the learning will be is another matter entirely but this seems like the best alternative to in class study as well get right now.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
I mean it has way more to do with how utterly unprepared this administration was and the consequences of actively thwarting attempts at preparations. There's no reason we couldn't have been more aggressive with testing and quarantining back in January other than Trump didn't want it to be seen as a problem that could affect his re-elect.

Don't discount the stupidity of his base. I've seen chatter on professional social networks like LinkedIn from morons who think Trump was being "practical" and that this whole thing is still overblown, that the flu is deadlier, etc. Morons believe lies and see nothing for its basis in reality.

I do think this hurts Trump overall, but his base is as fervent as ever and we still need to campaign as such.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
I mean it has way more to do with how utterly unprepared this administration was and the consequences of actively thwarting attempts at preparations. There's no reason we couldn't have been more aggressive with testing and quarantining back in January other than Trump didn't want it to be seen as a problem that could affect his re-elect.

I'm not talking about just the US, it's breaking everything worldwide.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
We're nowhere near hitting the peak of this thing, of course they are going to be closed.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah but it's also the best part of high school! It's a real shame how many kids are going to miss out on that now. I mean not important in the grand scheme of things, but still sucks in its own way.

Yeah it's a bummer, especially for those honors kids who worked their asses off and might not even get a ceremony.

One of my former students invited me to her graduation and now it's looking like it won't even happen.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
My mom's a school nurse in CA and they've cancelled everything until September at least. The good news is she's salaried and gets paid regardless.

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
New York
For these kids, especially seniors in HS and College, this will effect and scar them essentially for the rest of their lives. I feel awful for the things they will miss out on.

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
My kids are very lucky in that I'm already an educator, though I teach college-level, and I also briefly homeschooled elder child a few years ago when his school closed and we were about to move (didn't want him to change schools twice in a six month period). I am equipped to do this, even though it's not my preference. But so many caregivers aren't, and may not have good tech support to handle it either, or schools equipped to get materials out. It's going to be a bad time.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Certainly.

The Education sector is one of the single largest "melting pot" of people and households. It'll be the last one to have the lockdown lifted.

The Climaxan

Oct 27, 2017
NC-USA
Yeah, this is happening nationwide for sure. I just hope they can go back in the fall. My daughter is in Kindergarten and absolutely loved school. This is breaking her heart.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
So what the hell are parents who live paycheck to paycheck supposed to do if they can't afford daycare? What about the kids whose only good meal each day comes from the school?

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
One thing I could imagine school districts (stupidly) doing is having the kids come back to take the end of year state tests (Texas STAAR for example). The US Department of Education needs to really come to a decision and end the testing requirements for this year so states dont do that stupid shit.
So what the hell are parents who live paycheck to paycheck supposed to do if they can't afford daycare? What about the kids whose only good meal each day comes from the school?
School districts are still providing breakfast and lunch pick-up and go.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
Really hope we see results by the summer, and that schools - and everything else - can rotate back to some sense of normalcy. Jesus, society really wasn't prepared for this.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
In LA this is probably true. Many schools here already leave for the summer early around May and come back to school sooner like in August than the rest of the country.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Schools serve two purposes, one is to instruct children, the other is to free up the workforce.

California should develop a remote curriculum and send it to parents. Better late than never.

They're working on it, but there are legal issues that they have to work through and I think it centers around computer access, Internet access and overall making sure it's accessible to everyone.

Merc_

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Not surprising since this whole thing is still just getting started.

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
Is that happening everywhere? Or just in California?
Here (Indiana) schools just now mobilized to provide - but earlier this week, local restaurants were organizing pickup locations for breakfast and lunch.

MoonScented

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If this happens, I feel like this virus has to be way worse than they're telling us. How do you cancel schools for that long? The domino effect that will have on so many other facets of life is crazy. I'm glad I don't have children right now, but feel for those that do.

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
That might be a little overreaction? Does it mean society is canceled until the vaccine is avaliable in 2 years? Makes no sense.

Here in my country the president mandated the replacement of classes for virtual courses and it's going all right. I'm a professor myself and I'm doing my class that way. It's not ideal, but not awful.
Elementary school so the kids are very young (4-18). Presumably since everyone is home parents could help with virtual classes but I don't think the California education system has anything in place for pre-college virtual teaching.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
If this happens, I feel like this virus has to be way worse than they're telling us. How do you cancel schools for that long? The domino effect that will have on so many other facets of life is crazy. I'm glad I don't have children right now, but feel for those that do.

Dude, they're telling you it's really realy really bad and it's going to get really really really worse. Listen to experts, not Trump.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
New Mexico yes. I dont know about the rest of the country. But, those government funds cant be used for anything else. They have to use it for the school food programs.
Here (Indiana) schools just now mobilized to provide - but earlier this week, local restaurants were organizing pickup locations for breakfast and lunch.
CT has been having it since schools closed on Friday.
Thank God. Ever since the schools started closing the meal situation was the thing that had me worried the most.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
One thing I could imagine school districts (stupidly) doing is having the kids come back to take the end of year state tests (Texas STAAR for example). The US Department of Education needs to really come to a decision and end the testing requirements for this year so states dont do that stupid shit.

Not sure about other states but Texas already said no STAAR this year.

KingM

Oct 28, 2017

California applied to have their state testing waived for this year.

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
What does it mean for schools in the fall?
Its possible they could remain shut for the entire calendar year. Vaccine is a year+ away from being available and cold/flu season ramps up in fall/winter so its pretty optimistic to think everything will be fine after the summer when its just as likely that it could ramp up again in the colder seasons.

Deleted member 19813

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
In Texas, we have canceled state testing. Our district expects to be closed for the rest of the year. We are doing Google Classroom to waive the days.

kickz

Nov 3, 2017
This shit is scary, we are literally grinding to a halt for a very long time

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My girlfriend worked in the cafeteria and is basically unemployed now... Shes trying to get work in the pharmacy as a backup

OP
OP
Fushichou187

Fushichou187

Nov 1, 2017
Sonoma County, California.
Edited the titled for clarity.

Thanks!

Seniors should largely be fine, the second semester senior year is a formality for most kids. From an academic standpoint.

haha yeah that certainly tracks with my experience in HS. I was also thinking about those that got to walk in grad ceremonies but still had to complete a summer class or two in order to actually graduate. I guess it really depends on what that district's remote learning infrastructure looks like.

I'm helping my 9 year old nephew with his work each day, so far the only his English class has assigned work through his google classroom. Hopefully math will be coming any day now. The English teacher sent home her basic format for the class and we've been following that as best as we can. So far this isn't drastically different from any online classes I took in the past, now how effective the learning will be is another matter entirely but this seems like the best alternative to in class study as well get right now.

I love this! You're a good person. My sister is a Family Nurse Practitioner and is swamped at work, her fiancé is a tech in the medical field as well, plus my sis is expecting in August sooooo she's stressing about how my 2nd Grader nephew is going to continue his learning remotely and if that'll impact either of their jobs. We don't live near each other so I've volunteered to do whatever I can to help him with his studies even if it means teaching him by working through whatever materials the school recommends. I mean, my county is on lockdown too so it's not like I'll be going anywhere anyway 😁

They're working on it, but there are legal issues that they have to work through and I think it centers around computer access, Internet access and overall making sure it's accessible to everyone.

I hope this is yet another catalyst for digital equity in our communities

FantasyFreak07

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Fuuuuudge, we had 8 more weeks in our credential program.

I won't get to see my 5th graders at their promotion. :(