• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
The FBI has documented how much of a threat white supremacist groups are here and how embedded they are with local law enforcement and yet they over looked them for years in favor of terrorizing Black activists.

Yup. At the end of the day the FBI has gone out of their way of actively stamping out civil rights movements; even groups as benign as AIDS activists in the 80's and 90's.

Obviously geopolitical politics and homegrown terroristic threats require intelligence agencies, but at the end of the day lets not forget the FBI was also used to settle personal vendettas (shouts to Hoover) and stomp out much of the freedoms they are supposedly sworn to protect.

EOw2Ip0X0AAIQlB.jpg

Last edited:

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Also yeah for a country as big as the US we prolly do need an intelligence community but it sure as shit doesn't need to be the FBI and CIA. Need to be abolished and rebuilt from the ground up just like the police force.

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So...Let them kidnap Whitmer to make things fair?

Or are you just arguing with a person that's agreeing with what you're saying?
I agree that white supremacy is a threat but I'm saying the FBI has demonstrated they don't give a fuck about them because they allowed them to remain unchecked DESPITE having intel on how dangerous they potentially can be. This has persisted through multiple administrations it's not a issue unique to Trump.

Kasumin

Nov 19, 2017
lol give me a fucking break, we are not the world police and our overseas presence is a net negative. This is just Cold War nonsense.
Oh no, not China! I wonder who the new bogeyman will be next year. I really don't care for the Nationalist finger wagging.

As far as the Whitmer thing goes, that's one isolated incident amongst a sea of examples where it later turned out that the foiled "threats" were organized by the FBI to begin so that they would have an issue to "solve". And the influx of hate groups isn't something the FBI has ever shown an interest in solving in the past, likely due to an overlap in their membership.

We don't need the intelligence agencies, we need improvements to the material conditions of people.

Oh, ffs. I'm not talking about China like it's a communist country or that there's some domino theory. I'm talking about the China of today, with their authoritarian leader for life (striking down rules that were supposed to prevent that), that is currently threatening other countries for "infractions" as small as criticizing their government. They've been threatening Canada for years, and those threats have escalated due to Canada taking in people leaving Hong Kong. If you don't think China has ambitions to be the next world power, you're both terribly naive.

And then you both ignore what I said about rising issues with domestic terrorism. You STILL need an intelligence community for issues like that, at the very least.

Also, why the hell would we get rid of our intelligence community when we know that Russia has successfully intervened in American elections in the past? You think that if Biden wins, they'll just give up? Come on.

The FBI has documented how much of a threat white supremacist groups are here and how embedded they are with local law enforcement and yet they over looked them for years in favor of terrorizing Black activists.

Ah, I see. Since the FBI hasn't taken it seriously in the past, we should just scrap the entire organization. And then we won't have anyone who can track and arrest these groups. Great idea 👍

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We could literally abolish all standing armies tomorrow and face no repercussions. Unless you think Mexico is just itching to invade us.

I'm actually pretty lost on this since what you're saying doesn't at all make sense to me.

I'm more curious as to how you came to this conclusion, because... Look, it sounds that your heart is in the right place, but it also sounds like you've centralized the U.S. as the only source of malice in the world.

There's so much more out there that would love to fill a power vacuum. And you know this, so I don't understand how you can believe what you said.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Yup. At the end of the day the FBI has gone out of their way of actively stamping out civil rights movements; even groups as benign as AID's activists in the 80's and 90's.

Obviously geopolitical politics and homegrown terroristic threats require intelligence agencies, but at the end of the day lets not forget the FBI was also used to settle personal vendettas (shouts to Hoover) and stomp out much of the freedoms they are supposedly sworn to protect.

EOw2Ip0X0AAIQlB.jpg
Yep. They fucking suck and need to go and be rebuilt and rethought.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I'm actually pretty lost on this since what you're saying doesn't at all make sense to me.

I'm more curious as to how you came to this conclusion, because... Look, it sounds that your heart is in the right place, but it also sounds like you've centralized the U.S. as the only source of malice in the world.

There's so much more out there that would love to fill a power vacuum. And you know this, so I don't understand how you can believe what you said.

The US is unequivocally the biggest exporter of violence on the global stage of the last 70 years and it's not even close.

I'm not even for abolishing the military - a strong standing army is certainly a useful deterrent - but our intelligence agencies are part and parcel of our international terrorism.

TraBuch

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I agree that white supremacy is a threat but I'm saying the FBI has demonstrated they don't give a fuck about them because they allowed them to remain unchecked DESPITE having intel on how dangerous they potentially can be. This has persisted through multiple administrations it's not a issue unique to Trump.
So what you're saying is that intelligence needs to exist, but it needs a revamp? Which is exactly what the person you're arguing with is saying?

Deleted member 6230

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, ffs. I'm not talking about China like it's a communist country or that there's some domino theory. I'm talking about the China of today, with their authoritarian leader for life (striking down rules that were supposed to prevent that), that is currently threatening other countries for "infractions" as small as criticizing their governments. They've been threatening Canada for years, and those threats have escalated due to Canada taking in people leaving Hong Kong. If you don't think China has ambitions to be the next world power, you're both terribly naive.

And then you both ignore what I said about rising issues with domestic terrorism. You STILL need an intelligence community for issues like that, at the very least.

Also, why the hell would we get rid of our intelligence community when we know that Russia has successfully intervened in American elections in the past? You think that if Biden wins, they'll just give up? Come on.

Ah, I see. Since the FBI hasn't taken it seriously in the past, we should just scrap the entire organization. And then we won't have anyone who can track these groups. Great idea 👍
Scrap the org and build a better one in its place capable of securing the populace

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
The ICs can exist, sure. But not in any way that they did in any of their prior existence.

We need a Nuremberg like cleaning of all levels there, and we're not starting at just things that happened after January 2017.

Cause just "reforming" ICs to their pre Trump days is putting lipstick on a pig. And I feel we deserve to ask and demand for a lot more than just "restoring old trust in us" like these old dudes just want to reset to. They broke that trust generations ago. Not us, them.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A part me understands why people are snubbing their nose at the complete indifference people have to US intelligence agencies but I also recognize none of those people have answers or ideas on how to keep their harmful behaviors in check aside from a pinky promise from executive leadership that bad things won't happen.

I mean, I know this thread is just gonna devolve into leftist/lib fuckery, but it might actually be prudent to reckon with the harm that these organizations perpetuate. Especially when every president in the last 20 years has expanded the surveillance state both domestically and foreign. And because of the inherent clandestine nature of "intelligence", we just sort of spiral Into giving them blank checks to go do what is necessary and forgive them when they fuck it up.

Of course, this is apparent even in this thread where the threat of Russia and China is enough for Americans to just sort of let it happen. Ends justify the means, I suppose. And they turn into Susan Collins whenever fuckery is revealed. It's privileged, tbh.

Kasumin

Nov 19, 2017
The US is unequivocally the biggest exporter of violence on the global stage of the last 70 years and it's not even close.

I'm not even for abolishing the military - a strong standing army is certainly a useful deterrent - but our intelligence agencies are part and parcel of our international terrorism.

That still doesn't address the fact that countries other than the US have malicious intentions. I think a lot of you are ignoring the fact that someone else always moves in whenever there's a power vacuum. Do I support the US's stupid wars in the Middle East? Of course not. But there's a big difference between not jumping into stupid wars in response to terrorist attacks and scrapping every military base outside of the US.

A part me understands why people are snubbing their nose at the complete indifference people have to US intelligence agencies but I also recognize none of those people have answers or ideas on how to keep their harmful behaviors in check aside from a pinky promise from executive leadership that bad things won't happen.

I mean, I know this thread is just gonna devolve into leftist/lib fuckery, but it might actually be prudent to reckon with the harm that these organizations perpetuate. Especially when every president in the last 20 years has expanded the surveillance state both domestically and foreign. And because of the inherent clandestine nature of "intelligence", we just sort of spiral Into giving them blank checks to go do what is necessary and forgive them when they fuck it up.

Of course, this is apparent even in this thread where the threat of Russia and China is enough for Americans to just sort of let it happen. Ends justify the means, I suppose. And they turn into Susan Collins whenever fuckery is revealed. It's privileged, tbh.

I mean, the realistic solution is to pressure Congress and the president to enact safe guards and to restructure the organizations. Change is always going to be slow, and it sucks, but that's how democracies work.

Deleted member 6230

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So what you're saying is that intelligence needs to exist, but it needs a revamp? Which is exactly what the person you're arguing with is saying?
I'm saying the premises we've been granting the intelligence community which gives them blank checks to pull off fuckery around the world all comes crashing down when we look at the fact that they haven't done a good job securing any of from home grown white supremacist terrorism. We need to rethink those premises is my point

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
That still doesn't address the fact that countries other than the US have malicious intentions. I think a lot of you are ignoring the fact that someone else always moves in whenever there's a power vacuum.

It's not our job to police the world, champ. US adventurism has been a miserable failure longer than either of us have been alive. It's time to end it. We can assist other countries without military presence.

Deleted member 4461

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Biggest, sure. I used the word "only" for a reason. Many (most?) of our activities are cruel and manipulative.

And look man, I'm fully aware of the role our intelligence agencies have in that. I don't want to use the word "necessary evil," but their services are exactly that.

If we get rid of their functions entirely, how will we operate as a country?

I think, much like abolishing the police, it would be a multi-year (century?) process that involves creating an environment where we can function without an intelligence community. Which effectively means world peace/or some sort of mutually assured destruction for that stuff.

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
You're right, they clearly don't need intelligence on foreign powers messing with our elections, kidnapping of Governors, terrorist attacks (both foreign and domestic), etc...

You're hopelessly naive about this and I'm not going to waste time arguing why these agencies are needed with someone who only focuses on the bad. Yes they've done horrible things, but having no intelligence community is not the answer.

They've done pretty much fuck all about them though? Foreign powers messing with our elections possibly buying our politicians, messing with the election machines, we know Russia is doing it but who cares we're not going to do anything to stop them. Most of them seem busy creating terrorists and ignoring the real ones. They say they need more and more information, is there ever a point where that is too much. Is there ever a point where the number of innocent people caught up in the torture and rendition to much?

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That still doesn't address the fact that countries other than the US have malicious intentions. I think a lot of you are ignoring the fact that someone else always moves in whenever there's a power vacuum. Do I support the US's stupid wars in the Middle East? Of course not. But there's a big difference between not jumping into stupid wars in response to terrorist attacks and scrapping every military base outside of the US.

I mean, the realistic solution is to pressure Congress and the president to enact safe guards and to restructure the organizations. Change is always going to be slow, and it sucks, but that's how democracies work.

There's nothing inherent to Democracy that requires slow unraveling of authoritarian practices like warrant less surveillance.

hachikoma

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Didn't Biden just run an ad featuring a proud Bay of Pigs veteran? But surely Biden will take the IC in a great direction, y'all.

Kasumin

Nov 19, 2017
It's not our job to police the world, champ. US adventurism has been a miserable failure longer than either of us have been alive. It's time to end it. We can assist other countries without military presence.

I would disagree. The US's military strength has been key to NATO and its alliances with Japan and South Korea. There's a reason why Trump possibly withdrawing troops from Germany, Japan, and South Korea was met with such alarm.

Something else will move in to fill the vacuum. I think the US should withdraw from its role as world policeman, but that's something that should be done gradually. Geopolitical contexts are complicated. The way the US abandoned the Kurds is going to have huge repercussions in the future. Should the US have been there in the first place? No. But I can't exactly go back in time and change that. You work with the world as it is, not as how you wish it was. And your work goes toward making the world how you wish it was, though you may not always be successful and will likely have to change course many times throughout the process.

I think, much like abolishing the police, it would be a multi-year (century?) process that involves creating an environment where we can function without an intelligence community. Which effectively means world peace/or some sort of mutually assured destruction for that stuff.

But that takes a long time and doesn't have guaranteed success! Better to just abolish our military and intelligence services ASAP!

There's nothing inherent to Democracy that requires slow unraveling of authoritarian practices like warrant less surveillance.

I mean, warrant-less surveillance is one problem in a whole messy tangle of problems that surrounds the intelligence community. That's something that can be dealt with through policy. Heck, I just voted against warrant-less electronic surveillance in my state. Fixing every issue with the intelligence community? That takes time.

Biden is just going to try and restore the IC and IC morale to "prominence" where they felt awesome about their role in keeping American imperialism rolling. The mainline democrats and republicans both simply want to get back to the business of managing empire. At least Trump was so chaotic, so disinterested in managing anything that didn't directly enrich him personally, that his buffoonery effectively slowed down whatever terrible activities our agencies were involved in.

An incompetent, self-interested president doesn't necessarily mean a good thing. He has been doing things to curry favor with Saudi Arabia, for example. So no, having Trump as president doesn't mean that our intelligence communities won't still do bad things. If anything, those agencies are gradually being turned to ends that only benefit Trump, which is not in any way an improvement.

Fushichou187

Nov 1, 2017
Sonoma County, California.
Biden is just going to try and restore the IC and IC morale to "prominence" where they felt awesome about their role in keeping American imperialism rolling. The mainline democrats and republicans both simply want to get back to the business of managing empire. At least Trump was so chaotic, so disinterested in managing anything that didn't directly enrich him personally, that his buffoonery effectively slowed down whatever terrible activities our agencies were involved in.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

I guess a better question than "should intelligence agencies exist?" would be what democratic oversight works, and how you can keep it working in the long run. Even as I write that, as terrible as it may sound, I realize democratic isn't the word I'm looking for, as the ultimate arbiter of red lines should be a human rights charter / a constitution, not an electorate trading freedom for safety because that's what they've been sold at a given time.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Biggest, sure. I used the word "only" for a reason. Many (most?) of our activities are cruel and manipulative.

And look man, I'm fully aware of the role our intelligence agencies have in that. I don't want to use the word "necessary evil," but their services are exactly that.

If we get rid of their functions entirely, how will we operate as a country?

If the US government is committed to creating an anti-Nazi branch to take down those domestic terrorists then nothing's stopping them. They are actively uninterested in doing it, until it harms their elected officials apparently. Makes sense given that this country was founded on white supremacy and we cozied up to Nazis before and after the war.

I would disagree. The US's military strength has been key to NATO and its alliances with Japan and South Korea. There's a reason why Trump possibly withdrawing troops from Germany, Japan, and South Korea was met with such alarm.

are you aware of our role in splintering Korea in the first place

Kasumin

Nov 19, 2017
are you aware of our role in splintering Korea in the first place

Well aware. That goes with what I said about taking the world as it is, not as you wish it was. No one can go back in time and change the events that split up Korea. The British can't go back and undo their colonization of so much of the world. I don't think they'd be interested in doing so even with the benefit of hindsight, but that aside... The world we live in today is largely shaped by that colonization, and it shapes relations between countries. Alongside that has been efforts in everything from academic circles to political circles to push back against that colonization with varying successes and failures. But they have made changes. It hasn't been easy, and it has taken a lot of time.

Reuniting North and South Korea is a long, complicated process. The US immediately up and withdrawing from its bases in the region would not magically fix that problem.

The world as we know it is the result of many horrible, cruel decisions made decades or even centuries ago. Fixing the problems caused by these decisions is going to take time, and it's going to be messy.

Just like reforming US intelligence agencies will take time and be messy.

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Everyone's bringing their own pet beef with the IC into this thread, but really the article is good news. Because the IC as it currently stands under Trump is the worst of both worlds. They're being intentionally directed to turn a blind eye to domestic white terrorism and foreign medaling, and what remains of the agencies laying fallow is not the same as reforming or removing said agencies.

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
Oh no, not China! I wonder who the new bogeyman will be next year. I really don't care for the Nationalist finger wagging.

As far as the Whitmer thing goes, that's one isolated incident amongst a sea of examples where it later turned out that the foiled "threats" were organized by the FBI to begin so that they would have an issue to "solve". And the influx of hate groups isn't something the FBI has ever shown an interest in solving in the past, likely due to an overlap in their membership.

We don't need the intelligence agencies, we need improvements to the material conditions of people.

One isolated incident? Those same domestic terrorists had similar plans for Virginia Governor Ralph Northam as well.

Kasumin

Nov 19, 2017
Everyone's bringing their own pet beef with the IC into this thread, but really the article is good news. Because the IC as it currently stands under Trump is the worst of both worlds. They're being intentionally directed to turn a blind eye to domestic white terrorism and foreign medaling, and what remains of the agencies laying fallow is not the same as reforming or removing said agencies.

Exactly.

So many political discussions in Era go awry because a lot of the criticisms seem to boil down to people wanting solutions NOW (or very soon) and anything that doesn't achieve that end is considered worthless and pointless.

Change in large scale contexts like the geopolitical or in large organizational structures is always going to take a long time.

I see this attitude with voting, too. Voting for Biden won't fix everything now, or even in the four years, so some argue that it's pointless to do so. Or even to vote, period.

Deleted member 4461

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If the US government is committed to creating an anti-Nazi branch to take down those domestic terrorists then nothing's stopping them. They are actively uninterested in doing it, until it harms their elected officials apparently. Makes sense given that this country was founded on white supremacy and we cozied up to Nazis before and after the war.

I think we're generally on the same side, but we just need a way to move forward from here. I would agree with band-aid fixes for our intelligence community before we scrap it entirely. Like an anti-Nazi division & greater accountability somehow.

In addition to working towards a world where they're no longer needed, of course.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

An Obama FBI basically made up the threat of black extremism to profile and target black Americans but ok. It's easy to frame people's grievances as "pet beefs" if you're not actually a part of any of the groups being harmed!

Deleted member 6230

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pet Beefs?

fragamemnon

Nov 30, 2017
Really just put better oversight and controls so that our elected public officials know what the intelligence agencies are doing and the intelligence agencies can trust the elected officials to set the right guardrails on their work in a timely manner through legislation. Also, set separation in charter for what civilian intelligence agencies can do and what military intelligence can do, one of the more corrosive parts of our government's organization is how much civilian control has been relinquished to the Pentagon to fill voids that the changing world has made clear need filled.

Tear it all down just means you are left with nothing, leaving us blind to threats and having to rebuild at great opportunity cost. That's not worth it when the reforms are straightforward.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
There's a difference between saying something bad about the us and asking for it's obliteration. Sounds personal.
Is the system broken OH yes. Can it be mended. possibly.

Its interesting that you equivocate saying the empire shouldn't exist as being the same as the state/country itself.

I am for the dissolution of the state when it is no longer needed, though, so not wrong there!

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There's a difference between saying something bad about the us and asking for it's obliteration. Sounds personal.
Is the system broken OH yes. Can it be mended. possibly.
The destruction of the US empire is not the destruction of the US. You'd think a resident of a country that once existed under the hegemony of the UK and still trades with de-empired UK today would understand this.

Kasumin

Nov 19, 2017
So any position that isn't straight, "The US Empire must be dismantled [immediately] and completely" is pro-American Jingoism? FOH with that.

I also love how pointing out that China is a major geopolitical force with ambitions for replacing the US as the dominant world power are dismissed as Cold-War era paranoia. I'm basing my statements on China on their actions in the past 10-15 years. China and Russia are already moving to dismantle human rights priorities in the United Nations after the US has withdrawn from it so much.

I don't think the US should be the world power forever. Heck, I wish the EU had far more influence than the US, China, or Russia because I think they care the most about their citizens than any of the other major global powers.

But the fact of the matter is that the US pulling back from its imperialist position that it spent decades setting up is going to take time. And trying to do it all at once leaves a huge power vacuum, which isn't good, either.

The Bookerman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The destruction of the US empire is not the destruction of the US. You'd think a resident of a country that once existed under the hegemony of the UK and still trades with de-empired UK today would understand this.
China is waiting for this. And it's worst than the US.
Again, I'm not for the status quo either.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm making the argument to end US hegemony. If we stop interfering in those foreign powers, close down all foreign military bases and abolish the US Empire, they'll have no reason to interfere with us.

The last time everyone turned a blind eye to what was happening with foreign powers, a short guy with a stupid moustache convinced an entire country that it would be a swell idea to invade every one of their neighbours and take their land from them. You'd just be okay with that sort of thing happening again, with America just staying out of it? It is also woefully naive to think that if you stick your head in the sand, somehow everyone is going to forget you exist. That kind of isolationist approach will just mean America loses any real influence on the world stage, allowing other foreign powers to decide the direction of basically every other living person on the planet - including Americans.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
The last time everyone turned a blind eye to what was happening with foreign powers, a short guy with a stupid moustache convinced an entire country that it would be a swell idea to invade every one of their neighbours and take their land from them. You'd just be okay with that sort of thing happening again, with America just staying out of it? It is also woefully naive to think that if you stick your head in the sand, somehow everyone is going to forget you exist. That kind of isolationist approach will just mean America loses any real influence on the world stage, allowing other foreign powers to decide the direction of basically every other living person on the planet.

America actively funded the Nazis. Maybe they should seek to establish alliances not based on military dominance and enriching themselves instead of pretending to care about human rights.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
The last time everyone turned a blind eye to what was happening with foreign powers, a short guy with a stupid moustache convinced an entire country that it would be a swell idea to invade every one of their neighbours and take their land from them. You'd just be okay with that sort of thing happening again, with America just staying out of it? It is also woefully naive to think that if you stick your head in the sand, somehow everyone is going to forget you exist. That kind of isolationist approach will just mean America loses any real influence on the world stage, allowing other foreign powers to decide the direction of basically every other living person on the planet - including Americans.
Man funny you bring up the Nazis.

ips-dc.org

The CIA's Worst-Kept Secret: Newly Declassified Files Confirm United States Collaboration with Nazis - Institute for Policy Studies

Pried loose by Congress, which passed the Nazi War Crimes Disclosure Act three years ago, a long-hidden trove of once-classified CIA documents confirms one of the worst-kept secrets of the cold war--the CIA's use of an extensive Nazi spy network to wage a

Although he was wanted in Poland for war crimes, Augsburg managed to ingratiate himself with the U.S. CIA, which employed him in the late 1940s as an expert on Soviet affairs. Recently released CIA records indicate that Augsburg was among a rogue's gallery of Nazi war criminals recruited by U.S. intelligence agencies shortly after Germany surrendered to the Allies

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Remember when America helped Augusto Pinochet liberate the Chilean people from the tyrannical Salvador Allende? We are so good at preventing bad things.