• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 1238

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's it. Not gonna vote for either candidate.
Cool. I better not see you around here bitching and moaning if trump wins. A few republican cabinet members >>>>>>>>>>>> Trump and his fascist regime. And it's very important for Joe to reestablish norms and "reach across parties" (it's all lip service) after this mess of an administration.

but that's cool stay at home. You do you I guess.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I'm glad that all we're using as a form of criticism is if it'll hurt him in the election or not and not like... having awful people in his admin.
Yeaaah...the prospect that a fascist like Trump wins and practically plunges our country into civil war over the next 4 years is at the forefront of my mind at this point first and foremost.

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
Lol, no wonder Dems get rolled over the coals at the time. If this wasn't such a dire situation with Trump I would honestly not give Biden my vote.

OP
OP

EAUA

Banned
Nov 8, 2019
Nothing wrong with this. If i remember right, Obama put Comey in as head of the FBI. And I think we can all agree that went great.
giphy.gif

cabelhigh

Nov 2, 2017
Hmm but I thought people on here said that Biden was ACTUALLY the most progressive candidate ever 🤔

Pez

Oct 28, 2017
This makes sense for Joe's platform. He's a plain-spoken dude and his whole approach to his presidency will be de-escalating tensions across the country.

That example comes from the top. If the top tiers of our government can't come together and work together, what kind of example does that set for the rest of the country and the smaller communities it consists of?

I have faith in Joe to root out the foulest parts of the Republican party (white supremacy, Qanon, etc) and hopefully put in place the right people from both sides to set an example for the country.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
Are people assuming he's considering hardcore hard right republicans or something?

All republicans are hard right and have been for 20 years. I assume he's not going to appoint the Trumper Qanon fringe, but if you look at what counted as a moderate republican in 1980, everyone with those positions are Dems now.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
Yeah, fuck this. Hoping this is just BS campaigning to moderates and when it's actually appointing time none of these will come to pass. The whole party is tainted, and really we should stop playing into public perceptions that Republicans are better at the economy and national security and law enforcement by giving them token positions in those jobs. Democrats won, Dems should get the jobs, and there are lots of Dems who either built their own coalitions running for President this year or who have worked hard campaigning for Biden who deserve them.

I get wanting to reward your backers, and these sorts of Never Trumpers are a small but important part of Biden's coalition, but there's no cabinet secretary's portfolio that would really be safe from a Republican. Even the sort of lower tier offices, are you going to give a Republican Housing and expect them to implement a massive expansion of Section 8 housing and pushes against single-family exclusive zoning? Are you going to trust a Republican with Transportation when you're talking about massive expansions of rail as an environmental project? Trust them with Health when you're trying to build a public option? Those are all moderate, middle-of-the-road Biden plans that none of even the most moderate of Republicans could be trusted with.

And really, given their relative importance's to the coalition, if Never Trump Republicans are getting a lower cabinet post, the left should probably be talking about getting one of the big four to a certified lefty. Like, Liz Warren as Treasury at a minimum.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
Enrage is understatement.

The time to play nice is over nice but between him and feinstein I'm really fed up ever voting for blue again. If it wasn't for ginsburg I'd bow out with news like this.

Fuck the establishment and it's defenders.

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere in Zanarkand
"Trump must go, but the republican party can stay".
All of you who support this are hypocrites.

Literally not what this is about.

But let me ask you a question. What do you think comes after Trump? Those people aren't going anywhere, and you can either destroy their institution and leave them to their own QAnon devices or try to fix the rubble.

Biden is going about this well.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
He's the most progressive candidate in years, they said. We can push him left, they said.

Get ready for 4 years of this shit and constantly getting told to shut up and not complain because the Cheeto is gone. Followed by 2022 being an absolute massacre and Dan Crenshaw or Tom Cotton running on a platform of actual genocide in 2024.

Deleted member 33057

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Nov 14, 2017
It's always the time as I can think of multiple things at once, and even if I couldn't, I've already voted.

I hate these arguments because once he's in office liberals will be saying the same shit. We need to hold our representatives feets to the fire. Throwing around names like John Kasich when we're at record levels of wealth disparity in this country is absolutely bonkers. That's not unity, that's disrespect to the people who voted him in.
Yes start criticizing him after he gains power for 4 years and isn't beholden to voters anymore. Great strategy.
I'm just saying this from the perspective that he hasn't been elected yet. I know he has a good chance but still.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Yeaaah...the prospect that a fascist like Trump wins and practically plunges our country into civil war over the next 4 years is at the forefront of my mind at this point first and foremost.
Ok. His admin picks will be announced after he's already in office lol
His post is exactly what is going on. Meanwhile, we have first page hot post immediately coming in to shit on Biden from just the title. It happens every time in threads like this.
People who disagree with you aren't just posting unreasonable hot takes lmao

I dont think the post I quoted was reasonable at all and you've got the entire history of the Republican party to show why it's unreasonable!

Kino

Oct 25, 2017
A Biden admin will likely keep these people in check.

This plays to his 'moderate' image and will pull people from the right or center right towards supporting him, even if it's a tiny percentage, while I highly, highly doubt this will push any Dems this year into not voting against Trump.
Yeah I hate to say it but this is true. That one guy in the town hall who asked that dumb question about taking the high road and not holding a grudge....there are a lot of voters like that unfortunately.

I still think Biden is a fool for trying to play bipartisan

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
Are you one of those people that think the Lincoln Project are no longer Republicans and good people?
nope. but i also don't see anything wrong with optics posts in positions of very little power. politics is a game of images; we don't even know for sure if he will actually post anybody to any of these positions or if this is all smoke.

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is how you win over voters. Whether or not he actually does this after the election is anyone's guess.

Oct 25, 2017
This makes sense for Joe's platform. He's a plain-spoken dude and his whole approach to his presidency will be de-escalating tensions across the country.

That example comes from the top. If the top tiers of our government can't come together and work together, what kind of example does that set for the rest of the country and the smaller communities it consists of?

I have faith in Joe to root out the foulest parts of the Republican party (white supremacy, Qanon, etc) and hopefully put in place the right people from both sides to set an example for the country.

Obama tried to reach across the aisle and failed at a time where Republicans were less radical than they are today. What makes you think that a more radical party will be more receptive to this?

nope. but i also don't see anything wrong with optics posts in positions of very little power. politics is a game of images; we don't even know for sure if he will actually post anybody to any of these positions or if this is all smoke.

What would you consider a position of very little power in Biden's cabinet?

Oct 28, 2017
And they wonder why people like me call liberals useless

Unless you're interested in dismantling the GOP and what they stand for, you're not helpful in this day and age. They don't deserve any benefit of the doubt. Yet liberals will keep giving it to them regardless because civility and appearances are the only shit they actually care about.

Deleted member 75819

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 22, 2020
Liberalism is hand-sitting while centrists court conservatives. It's no mystery why the Republican party won't die.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
It's mildly amusing that thinking having a diverse cabinet with broader appeal is a bad thing.

Most people fall closer to centrist / moderate than touch the sides of the political spectrum, that has obviously shifted under the era of Trump but you don't win a second term if you don't have broader appeal.

It may sound crazy but picking people the most qualified for a given job and creating a stable administration goes a long way towards creating long term success.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
This is and always has been Biden. There isn't that much ideological clarity but he is very centrist, not surprising he would appeal to Republicans, probably to some degree on terms they understand. He always said he would.

_ifigured

Oct 29, 2017
man this is the ultimate "you had one job" type of situation. constantly meeting shitheads in the middle until we're just standing in their shit with them.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Ok. His admin picks will be announced after he's already in office lol

People who disagree with you aren't just posting unreasonable hot takes lmao

I dont think the post I quoted was reasonable at all and you've got the entire history of the Republican party to show why it's unreasonable!
The post is more reasonable than all of those driveby posts in the first 10 seconds of the thread. Same with the "I'm not a huge fan of court stacking" thread, and any other thread that is the same vein. If you don't even read what the article says or what Biden says, and don't maybe consider what he is considering, it's just a blanket hot take.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How pathetic and subservient would Joe have to be to actually spend his time as President redeeming the opposition party instead of helping the people said party wants dead?

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Incredible how the Biden Brigade will try and spin anything as him playing 5D chess with right wingers lol. Can't be that he's just a typical moderate who is deftly out of touch with how the GOP has turned hard right into full fascism and actually still believes in some fantasy of "reaching across the aisle" despite being a VP to a President who the GOP routinely shit on when he did so.

Nah, can't be. It's 5D Chess. Imagine there will be pictures of him having a fun and causal dinner with McConnell and people will call him the greatest tactician in political history.

And the responses here are so predictable. "Oh my God, do you want 4 more years of Trump!?!?!" Yeah, yeah, we know, everyone knows. But not everyone is going to play your pretend that Biden is something that he clearly isn't.

fragamemnon

Nov 30, 2017
I still think Biden is a fool for trying to play bipartisan

The foot forward is bipartisan, but it's very clear also that if Republicans just want to obstruct and Dems have the power to run them over, they will do so to get things done. That's where the party is, and-again-Biden if anything is a creature of the party.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Yes start criticizing him after he gains power for 4 years and isn't beholden to voters anymore. Great strategy.

As a Canadian, the one thing i learned about the US is you are ALWAYS voting, like constantly. in 2 years you will have a chance to vote in the mid-terms.

This election has ALWAYS been about shoring up support among never-trumpers, independents, soft republicans. It has always been a diverse poliitcal coalition campaign. Why is this shocking at this point? You MUST eject trump and his cabinet by any means before you have the luxury of being idealists.

Status
Not open for further replies.