• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EAUA

Banned
Nov 8, 2019
Joe Biden's transition team is vetting a handful of Republicans for potential Cabinet positions — despite doubts it will win him new support from the right and the risk it will enrage the left

Reaching across the aisle to pick senior members of his administration could shore up Biden's credentials as a unity candidate, a message he's made a cornerstone of his campaign. Past presidents including George W. Bush, Bill Clinton and Barack Obama have all done the same. But that tradition died with President Donald Trump, and liberal Democrats are already warning that a Republican pick, even a moderate one, could sow distrust within the party before Biden even takes office.

"This plays to Joe Biden's comfort zone," said one former Republican member of Congress who is close to the Biden transition. "If you're Joe Biden, of course you're going to want to expand your base a little bit, show some outreach to the other side."

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/10/20/biden-transition-republican-cabinet-429972

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
We've known about this for a while. This might be a new article but we've known Biden is considering this for a while. MOST presidents do it.

Marshall

Oct 27, 2017
Don't read too much into it. I think this is an effort to court some fencesitter Republican voters. Just words.

whiskeymatt

Oct 28, 2017
And this is why you don't welcome/cheer on the support of Lincoln Project ghouls or allow Republicans to speak during the DNC.

Nif

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not uncommon to have at least one member of the opposing party in your cabinet. Obama planned to have 3.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
this is standard practice but that doesn't mean it's good practice, especially now.

"If you're Joe Biden, of course you're going to want to expand your base a little bit, show some outreach to the other side."

would be nice if he showed some outreach to the left. any day now i'm sure!!

MetatronM

Oct 25, 2017
Almost every President not named Trump does this. It's (probably) fine really. It's not like he's going to make Lindsay Graham Secretary of State or anything like that.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Good. This isn't anything new, it's standard. The way Trump did things shouldn't be our standard going forward.

Sain

Nov 13, 2017
Don't really care. Let's see Biden win and then debate what his cabinet should look like.

Kino

Oct 25, 2017
Good, 4 years of "we vs. them" is enough.
*eyeroll*

These same motherfuckers will stonewall and block any and all progressive legislation so they can demoralize voters and snatch back power. This is absolutely the most idiotic move he can make. It's like he learned nothing from Obama's presidency.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I figured as such. You tend to have a couple from the other side, at least - like, Secretary of Defense is almost always a Republican.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
It's not uncommon to have at least one member of the opposing party in your cabinet. Obama planned to have 3.

True, but the opposing party really isn't the Republicans of old. Who could they even out on staff that's heavily involved in the GOP but doesn't have the stench of Trumpism on them? Hell, what's the use since Trump's base won't even see this as a reach out gesture since in their mind probably anyone who works with this admin is a traitor?

Blunt

Oct 26, 2017
Hey, remember when Biden was open to picking a republican as VP ? Wonder what became of that...

Deleted member 2761

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lmao remember a few months ago when the libs thought we were being too presumptuous for predicting exactly this will happen?

Pacifaxe

Oct 28, 2017
West Sacramento
Really don't see a problem with this as long as Biden doesn't pick up the really bad garbage from that side of the aisle. I mean, if he's picking up Ted Cruz... then there's some issues.

Deleted member 2761

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really don't see a problem with this as long as Biden doesn't pick up the really bad garbage from that side of the aisle. I mean, if he's picking up Ted Cruz... then there's some issues.

"Among the names being floated for possible Biden Cabinet posts are Meg Whitman, the CEO of Quibi and former CEO of eBay, and former Ohio Gov. John Kasich, both of whom spoke at August's Democratic National Convention. Massachusetts GOP Gov. Charlie Baker and former Sen. Jeff Flake (R-Ariz.) have also been mentioned, as has former Rep. Charlie Dent (R-Penn.), who resigned from Congress in 2018 and became a lobbyist."

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
i agree with this. it's optics at best. joe knows better than to let vipers in the room.
ishethough.png

zero_suit

Oct 27, 2017
"Among the names being floated for possible Biden Cabinet posts are Meg Whitman, the CEO of Quibi and former CEO of eBay, and former Ohio Gov. John Kasich, both of whom spoke at August's Democratic National Convention. Massachusetts GOP Gov. Charlie Baker and former Sen. Jeff Flake (R-Ariz.) have also been mentioned, as has former Rep. Charlie Dent (R-Penn.), who resigned from Congress in 2018 and became a lobbyist."
Charlie Baker is okay, I guess.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
A Biden admin will likely keep these people in check.

"This plays to Joe Biden's comfort zone," said one former Republican member of Congress who is close to the Biden transition. "If you're Joe Biden, of course you're going to want to expand your base a little bit, show some outreach to the other side."

This plays to his 'moderate' image and will pull people from the right or center right towards supporting him, even if it's a tiny percentage, while I highly, highly doubt this will push any Dems this year into not voting against Trump.

Status
Not open for further replies.