• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
I guess people have been investigating Reade as well as her claims. Politico's come out with some insight into Reade, posted here.

Quick quotes that may be relevant to the posters here:

"She has a problem," said Lynn Hummer, who owns a horse sanctuary where Reade volunteered for two years, beginning in 2014.

She described Reade as "very clever, manipulative...I do think she's a liar."

Hummer provided an email from an exchange where, within weeks of starting at the ranch, Reade asked if she could bring her car on Hummer's property to hide it from "the repo man." Hummer declined.

In another instance, Reade came by the ranch desperately seeking $200 to pay the rent, Hummer said. On the way to Reade's house, Hummer said she didn't notice that Reade texted her and upped her request from $200 to $350.

Hummer also alleged Reade called a veterinarian to the ranch to service her personal horse, leaving Hummer to pay a $1,400 bill.

Reade called Klett in 2019 after first publicly lodging allegations that Biden inappropriately touched her. At the time, Reade did not share details of an assault.

"I felt two things when she contacted me: that she was feeling me out to see if I would represent her pro bono. And there was a sense that she was trying to plant a story with me, so she could later say: 'I told the story to this attorney I worked with,'" Klett said.

"I support women who have been assaulted. Unfortunately, I cannot support Tara Reade," she said. "When she first contacted me regarding this issue, she could not provide enough credible information. And since that time the story has evolved in the media. I question her motives."

Of course, one person who was interviewed points out that this does not mean that Reade must necessarily be lying about Biden, and of course, there is someone who speaks highly of Reade. I wanted to get that out there as well.

ShOcKwAvE

Oct 27, 2017
Carlsbad, CA
Whether she's telling the truth or not, I hate the tone that articles like this will set. She should not be dragged through the mud to portray her with the "not an angel" angle.

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
I have my doubts about Reade's claim, but this seems like an old fashioned hit piece.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I think a lot of people will see these accounts as victim blaming.

Slader166

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
A number of those in close contact with Reade over the past 12 years, a period in which she went by the names Tara Reade, Tara McCabe or Alexandra McCabe, laid out a familiar pattern: Reade ingratiated herself, explained she was down on her luck and needed help, and eventually took advantage of their goodwill to extract money, skip rent payments or walk out on other bills.

The people quoted in this article provided copies of past emails, screenshots of Facebook messenger or text exchanges with Reade, copies of billing invoices or court records detailing their grievances or correspondence. POLITICO also reviewed dozens of public records, including court documents, divorce filings and Reade's 2012 bankruptcy records.
POLITICO has evidence to back up their claims, apparently.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, this is the opposite of what that PBS article was. This is clearly character assassination.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
This is a hit piece ain't it?

This is becoming the trial in the last episode of Seinfeld.

Finalrush

Dec 7, 2017
This thread is going to get very messy lol.

Though I currently think the claims are too muddy for me to believe they're credible, I think this article seems pretty aggressive and will just read as a smear.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Does anyone have any insight into the author?

Feels like a hit piece, but if they have screenshots and documents etc to back up these accounts...

Isilia

Mar 11, 2019
US: PA
It was to be expected, but these hit pieces on her will just ramp up.

We will never get better than making the victim a villain, huh.

Dec 22, 2017
Read the article about 10 minutes ago, and it's gross. People can be down on their luck and miss rent, and it doesn't make them a career criminal.

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
Get a load of this lying bitch with her

*reads notes*

defaulted payments and calling a veterinarian to tend to a sick horse.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You attack a person's credibility. The tactic is pretty well-known.

They're trying to establish a pattern of manipulative behavior for personal gain from previous relationships, with the endgame apparently being a big lawsuit payday against Biden.

I understand the article's intent but I was referencing the part of the OP which claimed that her claims were being investigated by Politico.

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018
This definitely reads like a hit piece, but if the behavior is well documented I can't say its entirely irrelevant. Any crimes she committed aren't relevant, but having a long, documented history of scams and fraud when the argument is this is a scam or fraud are. Which doesn't mean of course that someone who has a long history of fraud couldn't have been the victim of assault, but I don't think its entirely unfair to raise the burden of proof in that case.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
True or false, I'm not crazy about dragging a potential victim's character into the limelight before an investigation can take place. I'd rather see these aspects of her character brought up in an investigation/litigation rather than going through the court of public opinion first.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Has no relevance to her allegations. Seems like a classic character assassination piece.

Sendero

Oct 25, 2017
It's definitively a hit piece. The questions are, if any of this is true, and if it has any relevancy with the Biden case.

If indeed, she has being taking advantage of multiple persons all these years, then you could argue a behaviour pattern.
Thing is, it all could be be true, while at the same time, also her claims against him.

It does feel that unless she is capable to produce further evidence, all these stuff will bury her credibility and by extension, the case.
Amazing how fast reporters can dig information, when there is will. How useful that approach would have been all these past years.

Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017
This is getting incredibly ugly.

Whether Reade's proclivities are honest or not, elevating this kind of discourse is just throwing oil on the fire.

amusix

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I have no respect for the authors and publishers of this piece...the same way I have no respect for all the posters on this board who've been piling up on Biden concerning this stuff.

Finalrush

Dec 7, 2017
It's definitively a hit piece. The questions are, if any of this is true, and if it has any relevancy with the Biden case.

If indeed, she has being taking advantage of multiple persons all these years, then you could argue a behaviour pattern.
Thing is, it all could be be true, while at the same time, also her claims against him.

It does feel that unless she is capable to produce further evidence, all these stuff will bury her credibility and by extension, the case.
Amazing how fast reporters can dig information, when there is will. How useful that approach would have been all these past years.
Either way even if not all of us think this particular case is credible, there's no reason to continue the precedent of attacking accusers who come forward. It's just irresponsible, and the only goal here is convincing people to vote for Biden (it's not like this is going to court), so there's no reason to do shit like this.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Rape doesn't only happen to good people, the vast majority of the stuff in that article has no bearing on whether she was raped or not

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Is a well researched hit piece still worthwhile? I'm not sure it is. The lawyer's comment seems like the only one of potential direct relevance and even that is pretty iffy.

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
Is this the "check fraud" thing?

See, I'm telling you I don't want this shit until it's just reporting, not character assassination. I didn't know she had multiple names, though.

But also, can we not do the libs/neolibs thing so that the subject is the assault/the victim, and not ideologies (especially given that it technically shouldn't be an ideological problem)?

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
For the record, I posted without further commentary because I don't think that would be appropriate.

I did post it because people will see this on the front page of Politico, and therefore it is relevant in and of itself as Vox, PBS, et al. continue to put together pieces on this topic and to discuss the parties, their histories, etc.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this article pisses me the fuck off. This is just an attack on her credibility and has zero relevance to the Biden accusations.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
And people wonder why sexual assault victims don't come forward with their stories of abuse... smh

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
This gives me the vibes i get when unarmed black people get murdered then have their character assassinated.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
This is hardly necessary and does a disservice to figuring out the truth. It's like night and day between this and the PBS article.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
I vaguely remember something about her stealing from a non-profit as well... there's a pattern here, alright.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Is this the "check fraud" thing?

See, I'm telling you I don't want this shit until it's just reporting, not character assassination.

But also, can we not do the libs/neolibs thing so that the subject is the assault/the victim, and not ideologies (especially given that it technically shouldn't be an ideological problem)?
No, everything in this article is from the last 10 years or so unrelated to her time in DC. That issue will probably come up more in the next wave of articles following some of the new information from the PBS article. This article is just character assassination and not relevant to her allegation

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
"We are actually starting to find each other and put the pieces together because we saw her face on CNN," Chung said. "I thought to myself, 'hey, I have a support group now. I think we are Alexandra/Tara survivors."

That's gonna be a yikes.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
This reads like a political hitpiece, and has no relation to her allegations.

Status
Not open for further replies.