• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Literally 100.0000000000% of parents that punish their kids by breaking, damaging, or destroying things that their kids cherish end up having their kids resent them. It's like Parenting 101.

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The context is much worse:

She may (the may is important here as this is just a single tweet) be literally punishing him for having an eating disorder.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure what this accomplishes that putting them in a box, locking it up, and hiding the key for a period of time doesn't. Beyond the emotional distress, of course.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
it's ineffective and will backfire when she inevitably buys more cards for her kid(s)

moustascheman

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
I just read the reply she made and seriously, wtf...

Burning your kid's cards just because they didn't eat their lunch is such a terrible thing to do to a literal 7 year old.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
She's trolling.

image.png

Juan

Oct 28, 2017
It reminds me of this parent who shared they deleted their kid's Minecraft World because they didn't obey.

Aka how to destroy your child trust for ever and never recover.

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Literally 100.0000000000% of parents that punish their kids by breaking, damaging, or destroying things that their kids cherish end up having their kids resent them. It's like Parenting 101.

My mom did this all the time, but my dad didn't. That might be why I have a better relationship with him.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I pranked my daughter once by telling her I was going to burn her favorite graphic novel by grilling it, then grilled a newspaper so that when she ran out there were a bunch of burnt pages and ashes in it.

On topic Re: destroying stuff as punishment: Kids remember this shit and and never internalize it as a action > consequence relationship. You're risking having a normal relationship with him and also training him to solve problems by throwing tantrums (the mom is throwing a tantrum, breaking other people's stuff when you don't get what you want is literally just that).

BarcaTheGreat

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Libertarian.... Doesn't it kinda goes against that value? I mean like I needed to dislike libertarians even more. They are just right wing who won't acknowledge they are racists.

Status
Not open for further replies.