• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
New York
Rest in Peace Elijah Al-Amin.

17 years young. Yet another victim of white america's "fear" of black people while they're the ones killing us for things as simple as playing music.

The murdering thug deserves a fate that I probably can't say on here.

Raguel

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If there's any doubt you shouldn't even be convicted. Do you want the jury to pinky swear and say they really really think the person is guilty?

That human element flaw is inescapable. Rather than ignoring it and letting innocent people die so you feel better emotionally, grow up and deal with reality.
How about you calm the fuck down and don't tell people to grow up. You are acting like a childish twat. I even said the human element is the biggest flaw in a system so back the fuck down

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
A simple recognition of reality would be nice.

I'm telling you it can't be done. We have evidence. The experts have weighed in over decades. You just going "nah, someone can fix it" isn't convincing, especially when the cost of you and whoever that someone is being wrong is innocent lives.

The reality I see is some people deserve to die. Full stop. In this situation the man fits the bill and then some. Beyond that I've got nothing more to share I guess.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lazy cop out? Jesus man I'm not qualified to even begin thinking up solutions to this problem. Better people than me come up with a great solution and hey, I'm all for it. What do you want? It sounds like your mentality is "Agree with me or you are a lazy fool." What do you want from people?
If you aren't qualified then maybe you should stop arguing for something you aren't qualified to understand, when the people who ARE qualified to understand it have demonstrated time and time again that there is no benefit to the death penalty and that innocent deaths are an inevitability in any system that has a death penalty.

Not to mention this case is the perfect example of why our retributive justice system is such a failure. This man has been in prison so many times, but because we don't even attempt to rehabilitate prisoners, every time he gets out he commits a more serious and violent crime until he eventually randonly kills a completely innocent person. This is fucking horrifying, and it would happen far less if we attempted to rehabilitate offenders.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How about you calm the fuck down and don't tell people to grow up. You are acting like a childish twat. I even said the human element is the biggest flaw in a system so back the fuck down

It doesn't seem like I'm the one who needs to calm down.

You identified the entire issue and still insist it can be ignored because killing bad people makes you feel better. It's selfish.

The reality I see is some people deserve to die. Full stop. In this situation the man fits the bill and then some. Beyond that I've got nothing more to share I guess.

Because you are satisfied with magical thinking even if innocent people die. If you want it bad enough the experts can surely figure it out. It's just lazy.

It's not a good thing.

Raguel

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It doesn't seem like I'm the one who needs to calm down.

You identified the entire issue and still insist it can be ignored because killing bad people makes you feel better. It's selfish.

Because you are satisfied with magical thinking even if innocent people die. If you want it bad enough the experts can surely figure it out. It's just lazy.

It's not a good thing.
You keep doing that narrative, guy. I'm done engaging with you else I get a ban

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Hostility and Antagonizing Other Users Over Multiple Posts in this Thread; Prior Bans for Similar Behavior.
You keep doing that narrative, guy. I'm done engaging with you else I get a ban

You don't have anything even resembling a substantive argument so you have to yell a lot. Your argument is purely emotional.

"I want bad people to die and that's that! Can't tell me otherwise, I won't hear it! Making me feel better is worth killing innocents!"

Raguel

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You don't have anything even resembling a substantive argument so you have to yell a lot. Your argument is purely emotional.

"I want bad people to die and that's that! Can't tell me otherwise, I won't hear it! Making me feel better is worth killing innocents!"
Man. Did I stutter when I said I ain't gonna engage with you anymore? You so far up your judgemental ass that you can't read?

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
If you aren't qualified then maybe you should stop arguing for something you aren't qualified to understand, when the people who ARE qualified to understand it have demonstrated time and time again that there is no benefit to the death penalty and that innocent deaths are an inevitability in any system that has a death penalty.

Not to mention this case is the perfect example of why our retributive justice system is such a failure. This man has been in prison so many times, but because we don't even attempt to rehabilitate prisoners, every time he gets out he commits a more serious and violent crime until he eventually randonly kills a completely innocent person. This is fucking horrifying, and it would happen far less if we attempted to rehabilitate offenders.

Qualified, unqualified...didn't think it mattered on giving our opinions here. Last time I checked, this was a message board. The whole point is to discuss events and share our point of view. I'm trying to be respectful and attempt to see from other's point of view. At the end of the day, we disagree. That's fine, but we can both argue whatever we want. Come on.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man. Did I stutter when I said I ain't gonna engage with you anymore? You so far up your judgemental ass that you can't read?

You have dropped all pretext of even trying to think up a coherent argument because there isn't one. This emotional outburst is you coping with that fact.

I'm sorry reality isn't the way you wish it was.

Raguel

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Qualified, unqualified...didn't think it mattered on giving our opinions here. Last time I checked, this was a message board. The whole point is to discuss events and share our point of view. I'm trying to be respectful and attempt to see from other's point of view. At the end of the day, we disagree. That's fine, but we can both argue whatever we want. Come on.
Respectful unlike some members here telling people to grow up or they're living in fantasy land.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dude. Stop. Seriously. You're looking pathetic

You can't even dream up an argument to support your position. You refuse to even try. You even identify the entire problem and still refuse to rethink your approach. I can't think of anything more pathetic than that.

Here, I'll try to help:

Now that you've identified that humans and their propensity to make mistakes or behave maliciously is the problem, how do you propose a law instituting capital punishment fixes this problem?

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah I want bad people to die. And in cases where guilt cannot be proven without reasonable doubt, then no death penalty. It's that simple.

You are stanning for a guy that sliced a teenager's throat, was found covered in his blood and admitted he did it. Not sure what point you are trying to make here, but it's not coming across. Hence why you are getting people riled up.

I get that the death penalty is serious business, and that there are innocent people on death row. I ain't stupid. I get that the system is broken. But for cases like this? Fuck him. People shouldn't have to pay for this fucker to live. He killed a black kid for listening to music. There ain't no rehabilitation, dude was legit just released from prison for a string of crimes.

Just put him under IMO. There's nothing else to do with this man. He will never, ever contribute to society. If you think he can, then offer up the argument.

TalonJH

Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
Public? Dude in Dallas got killed for being in his own house, minding his business buy a drunk policewoman. they SEARCHED his house for weed to say "he was no angel"
Whatever happened with that one? I think I remember that they confirmed that they didn't "know" each other like people thought but no more after that.

On-Topic
People are just ridiculous.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I want bad people to die. And in cases where guilt cannot be proven without reasonable doubt, then no death penalty. It's that simple.

You are stanning for a guy that sliced a teenager's throat, was found covered in his blood and admitted he did it. Not sure what point you are trying to make here, but it's not coming across. Hence why you are getting people riled up.

I get that the death penalty is serious business, and that there are innocent people on death row. I ain't stupid. I get that the system is broken. But for cases like this? Fuck him. People shouldn't have to pay for this fucker to live. He killed a black kid for listening to music. There ain't no rehabilitation, dude was legit just released from prison for a string of crimes.

Just put him under IMO. There's nothing else to do with this man. He will never, ever contribute to society. If you think he can, then offer up the argument.

Without a reasonable doubt is already the requirement for conviction! That point makes no sense and betrays a fundamental lack of legal understanding.

This is not "stanning" for anyone. Painting it that way is either willfully disingenuous or just stupid.

Name one benefit to killing someone over jailing them forever that justifies occasionally killing an innocent person. Don't say deterrence. It's not 1973. We know that's not a real thing. Name one substantive benefit.

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017

I... I gotta agree. There are heinous cases like this where it's iron clad, open and shut.

I recognize the policy is fallible and can be weaponized against minorities, but as long as it still exists, this guy is a perfect candidate.

For real, fuck this guy.

Raguel

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You can't even dream up an argument to support your position. You refuse to even try. You even identify the entire problem and still refuse to rethink your approach. I can't think of anything more pathetic than that.

Here, I'll try to help:

Now that you've identified that humans and their propensity to make mistakes or behave maliciously is the problem, how do you propose a law instituting capital punishment fixes this problem?
God damn man. Keep at it. Maybe when people say they don't want to engage with you, you'll eventually listen.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
This shit legit terrible to read. I wish Elijah was alive and this shit never happened.

So much pain in that family right now.

A Black Person with that offenders rap sheet would still be in jail.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
This shit legit terrible to read. I wish Elijah was alive and this shit never happened.

So much pain in that family right now.

A Black Person with that offenders rap sheet would still be in jail.
Less than a year before enjoying adulthood too. Dude robbed him of his whole life.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
this made me so mad this morning. i was going to post it but couldnt find a source other than twitter.
so infuriating, so unnecessary and i just feel so bad for this kids family. even if the murderer gets life there no justice for killing a child.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
It's totally fine to think people like this deserve to die, but the death penalty is still wrong no matter how much it would make you feel better.

He does need to be locked up forever though.

free_bubble

Oct 27, 2017
RIP to the victim and condolences to his family and loved ones. I won't say what I wish for the murderer except that I hope he gets it. What a terrifying event.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How do these people legitimately get around the system like this.

It's the inevitable result of prioritizing punishment and feel-good "tough on crime" "I'll give them what they deserve" type criminal justice over dispassionate, evidence and results based logically coherent approaches.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Dude. Stop antagonizing me. I'm spending time with my family and don't have time to engage with your judgemental ass

I dont you could uh..also just stop responding.

I'm kind of shocked anyone could look at our racist justice system and possibly think the idea that the idea of using human judgment could ever suddenly have no doubt about a case.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
Adams, whose criminal history includes theft, disorderly conduct, assault with a weapon and assault on a corrections officer, was released from prison on Tuesday. Adams' attorney says that he had no access to mental health services after he was released although a statement from an Arizona Department of Corrections spokesperson says that Adams was "not designated seriously mentally ill.
All this and he felt unsafe?

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
I dont you could uh..also just stop responding.

I'm kind of shocked anyone could look at our racist justice system and possibly think the idea that the idea of using human judgment could ever suddenly have no doubt about a case.

More so lawyers and prosecutors can fight over striking out select jury members, literally trying to shape a conviction.

There really shouldn't be single judges. Nobody fate should be decided by one person with a shitty mood or attitude for the day. It should be juries and panel of judges

Opto

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kid gets murdered by a racist maniac and decided to make it all about your stances on the death penalty

Deleted member 3058

Oct 25, 2017
Jeeze. No one should have to go through a violent butchering death like that.

That white supremacist murderer needs to go.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah you can give whatever opinion you want, just don't whine about it when your ignorant opinion gets called out as ignorant.
How do these people legitimately get around the system like this.
This isn't 'getting around the system', these are the results our shitty, backwards justice system produces. This is why we desperately need to change it, so horrible shit like this doesnt happen.

free_bubble

Oct 27, 2017
Pretend to offer an answer. Just try.

I don't understand why you are continuing this with them. You are obviously antagonizing people who are upset with a heinous act of violence and have zero desire to get into a policy argument over the death penalty with you.

For the record, I think you're right. I'm not sure how you could tailor the penalty to ensure that no innocent could ever be put to death. That's the only reason I'm against it. In a perfect world, this piece of human garbage would already be in the ground. But it's not a perfect world. Clearly.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand why you are continuing this with them. You are obviously antagonizing people who are upset with a heinous act of violence and have zero desire to get into a policy argument over the death penalty with you.

For the record, I think you're right. I'm not sure how you could tailor the penalty to ensure that no innocent could ever be put to death. That's the only reason I'm against it. In a perfect world, this piece of human garbage would already be in the ground. But it's not a perfect world. Clearly.

The criminal justice philosophy used to justify the death penalty is the same one that lets people like this rotate in and out of prison, never getting better, never having a real chance of getting better and putting innocent people at risk of falling victim to the failures of a system we know doesn't work.

Do you understand why that's important? And do you understand that engaging in a discussion is not me forcing anyone to type anything? Recognizing emotionally motivated reasoning is the whole damn point. Prioritizing emotional satisfaction when judging proposed solutions can damn near explain every single thing wrong with society.

free_bubble

Oct 27, 2017
The criminal justice philosophy used to justify the death penalty is the same one that lets people like this rotate in and out of prison, never getting better, never having a real chance of getting better and putting innocent people at risk of falling victim to the failures of a system we know doesn't work.

Do you understand why that's important? And do you understand that engaging in a discussion is not me forcing anyone to type anything? Recognizing emotionally motivated reasoning is the whole damn point. Prioritizing emotional satisfaction when judging proposed solutions can damn near explain every single thing wrong with society.

Again, I'm in agreement with you. But calling people misinformed, lazy, or "daring" them to provide an argument isn't advancing any kind of cause.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Again, I'm in agreement with you. But calling people misinformed, lazy, or "daring" them to provide an argument isn't advancing any kind of cause.

Misinformed is a perfectly acceptable label when a person demonstrates they're misinformed. To be honest I don't remember making that accusation explicitly. I called arguments lazy, and I didn't "dare," I requested an actual real argument be given. A request, I should add, that should never need to be made of someone trying to justify a position. The evasive response I got should be all the justification required for asking in the first place.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
kharvey's posts in here are fucking sad lmao
They can't be just as mad art the fact that people continue to espouse regressive viewpoints that, when made into policy, directly lead to situations like this one, where someone who has been repeatedly failed by the system murders a completely innocent teen?

Deleted member 835

User requested account deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Way to shit up a thread about a black kid being killed.

RIP Elijah

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
Kid is slain in cold blood

And y'all bleeding hearts worried about the well being of some psycho murderer...

Never change.

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They can't be just as mad art the fact that people continue to espouse regressive viewpoints that, when made into policy, directly lead to situations like this one, where someone who has been repeatedly failed by the system murders a completely innocent teen?
Yes. Let's think of the poor guy that's been failed by the system and slit a teenager's throat.

Poor guy. We let him all down guys.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes. Let's think of the poor guy that's been failed by the system and slit a teenager's throat.

Poor guy. We let him all down guys.
That's not what I'm saying at all. I'm saying the system we have produces people like that, and this case is a perfect example considering his list of offences increasing in severity after every prison stay. He murdered this poor kid literally 2 days after getting out of prison, if that isn't an indictment of our system then idk what is.