• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kendrid

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
It's just rational to accept that air holing a vehicle in the middle of a crowded intersection with rounds from 20 different firearms, from wildly different positions, is preferable to letting a jewelry store's insurance kick in and compensate them for the loss. This is good to me, because someone else got injured, and there are no alternative methods to resolving this situation.
they were being shot at following a hostage situation. If it were just diamonds they should have stood down. Easy to arm chair quarterback this. Should they have let them take a hostage and just wait to see what happens? Maybe but that is hard to determine without hindsight.

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
The video of the chase had something like 80+ marked police vehicles plus like 5 helicopters, likely all aiming for a chance to get some of the action. At some point one has to wonder when it's too many cops. A UPS truck can't go past a certain speed. With how it ended and how many cops were shooting, shocked that more innocents weren't dead in the crossfire.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
What happens if they just say ok bye? Thieves drive off with the loot and the hostage. Maybe they kill him, maybe they don't.

What happens if the police keep the pressure on? Hostage and bystander dead.

Sounds like ok bye is the right play to call, chief. Unless you think those shiny rocks were worth an innocent's life?
The main reason to take hostages is to either negotiate a peaceful surrender or buy some time to escape (since the cops would be hesitant to shoot first). There was no rational reason for the robbers to initiate the shootout unless they wanted to be shot to death.

But if the robbers were allowed to escape they could just kill the hostages later, no one the wiser. It's a much worse situation for them.

ddd

Alt account
Banned
Oct 18, 2019
Honestly shocked at how many people assume that someone stealing material wealth would just automatically and thoughtlessly kill a hostage for no material reason other than they're the Bad Guy, have video games finally rotted our brains?

Jun 22, 2019
Honestly shocked at how many people assume that someone stealing material wealth would just automatically and thoughtlessly kill a hostage for no material reason other than they're the Bad Guy, have video games finally rotted our brains?

Literally flabbergasted at going to the last page and seeing these "Well it's worse for the hostage if the police don't start a public shoot-out!" responses.

What the fuck.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
Fucking sucks. Going to work delivering packages then this happens. Fuck people.

Oct 31, 2017
User Banned (5 days): Inflammatory Accusation

We get it you've been a thief.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
I had some american posters here insist that I should defend the 200$ till at my job with my life (or even keep a gun to shoot anyone who wants it lol), and were dumbfounded that the policy in Québec is mostly "let the robber take the cash".

Can't imagine what they think is appropriate to stop a jewelry theft that alread had a casualty. Usually that is license to kill in action movies.

We have quotes for this?

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Jesus I know people in that area, sad to hear.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had some american posters here insist that I should defend the 200$ till at my job with my life (or even keep a gun to shoot anyone who wants it lol), and were dumbfounded that the policy in Québec is mostly "let the robber take the cash".

Can't imagine what they think is appropriate to stop a jewelry theft that alread had a casualty. Usually that is license to kill in action movies.

Definitely not the case. Many companies have a "Don't be a hero policy."
The police, on the other hand, love to feel powerful.

HeavenlyOne

The Fallen
Nov 30, 2017
Your heart
If you decide to commit armed robbery, you are not a good person.

If you take a hostage, using them as a human shield, you are not a good person.

The real world isn't good guys versus bad guys. Police being bad guys doesn't make criminals good guys.

"Let them go and take the hostage with them and hope we can catch them again in a secluded area" is as naive as "just shoot them in a limb".

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
If you decide to commit armed robbery, you are not a good person.

If you take a hostage, using them as a human shield, you are not a good person.

The real world isn't good guys versus bad guys. Police being bad guys doesn't make criminals good guys.

"Let them go and take the hostage with them and hope we can catch them again in a secluded area" is as naive as "just shoot them in a limb".

I don't think anybody is calling the thieves and hostage takers good people. But we have courts and trials to deal with them, not a hunt and firing line execution in the streets with a bunch of innocent people at risk of getting caught up in a car wreck or a hail of bullets from the cops.

That was the opposite of good police work and people are dead because of it.

Deleted member 56580

User requested account closure
Banned
May 8, 2019
I mean, yes?

The van most likely had GPS and they had a chopper on it. Don't give them a reason to shoot.

If you're really gung-ho about getting in a big movie shootout, maybe hold off pressuring them until you're not surrounded by civilians.

Also, it's jewellery. People don't steal jewelry to keep it. There's always a chance to try and track it down further down the line.

Also, if you do get involved in a big movie shootout, maybe try and not draw fire towards civilians.

you watch too many movies man

data

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sad to see that this had to happen.

I'm also sad to see that people assume it wouldn't have gone south even if they did let them go.

I definitely think the police shouldn't have been so excessive with the chase but as others have said, everyone wants in on the action and to be the hero.

However, people are way too optimistic about the other scenario. Who's going togl guarantee tha tthey don't kill the hostage? Think about it. They would have to be speaking with him so he can be pulled in as a witness if they needed someone after the trial. If these people are willing to Rob and shoot a bit wildly in the store, no signs show they wouldn't resort to removing their hostage as a potential witness.

However, we would never know. There's just too many factors and usually people act on the moment and not as tactically as we can looking at the situation after it happens since it can be a potentially time sensitive rescue

BabyMurloc

Oct 29, 2017
I like to call it Warhammer 40k logic: better some innocents die, than risk the escape of a heretic criminal.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I'm also sad to see that people assume it wouldn't have gone south even if they did let them go.

I definitely think the police shouldn't have been so excessive with the chase but as others have said, everyone wants in on the action and to be the hero.

However, people are way too optimistic about the other scenario. Who's going togl guarantee tha tthey don't kill the hostage? Think about it. They would have to be speaking with him so he can be pulled in as a witness if they needed someone after the trial. If these people are willing to Rob and shoot a bit wildly in the store, no signs show they wouldn't resort to removing their hostage as a potential witness.

However, we would never know. There's just too many factors and usually people act on the moment and not as tactically as we can looking at the situation after it happens since it can be a potentially time sensitive rescue

The hostage is in grave danger whatever happens. There is no way to make him safe. Of the possible options, engineering a situation where the Police are firing guns at the hostage, seems sub-optimal. Especially in a crowded public area where other civilians can't easily escape.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017

The police not only killed the hostage, a bystander died because of the shottout too. Even if we assume the criminals would have killed the hostage anyway that's one person dead that shouldn't have been. And if we want to be technical you could couln't the criminals in that too.

"the job is hard" is not a excuse when people die due to your failure. That amount of people firing live ammunition on a busy street is something not even the military does. That's not being wiser in hindsight, it's basic gun safety rules.

Last edited:

GMM

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seems almost certain that the police killed the poor UPS driver when looking at the videos, the amount of police gunfire could very well have been the reason for the motorist being killed.

All around fucked up situation, but the police did move very recklessly in on the vehicle once it hit the traffic block, just a massive un-coordinated barrage of gunfire in dense traffic. Cops should have stayed their distance once the robbers opened fire on them and planned ahead while following on the helicopter.

No doubt the robbers caused all this, but the police response didn't seem to have helped anything, now some dude doing his job and someone driving somewhere is dead because of it. I'm curious if the cops even knew the UPS driver was being held hostage, or they just assumed everyone in the van was a target.

And as usual the police will not be found to have done anything wrong because they can do no wrong in the US since they are the law.

Oct 25, 2017
ACAB.

Also the posts defending the police are mind-boggling. Yeah the robbers might have shot the hostage anyway but that's a maybe.

The police 100% signed his death certificate once they decided they wanted to recreate the Heat shootout scene, as well as that of the bystander killed. They started a shootout in an area full of civilians who had no way of getting away and not only that, THEY TOOK COVER BEHIND CARS THAT HAD CIVILIANS INSIDE.

Anybody defending the actions of the police needs to think again.

Deleted member 11985

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why in the ever living fuck would you start a shootout when the suspect is surrounded by like 30 civilians?

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, I might be cynical or whatever, but who the fuck finds the time to a montage with music the day her brother died and posts it on twitter?

The hell?
they have them at funerals all the time, and they aren't that hard to do, and don't take a lot of time if you are familiar with social media.
they call them memorials, or do you think it was the Russians, instead?

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Why in the ever living fuck would you start a shootout when the suspect is surrounded by like 30 civilians?
Police chase, got caught in a traffic jam, suspects sat between the seats, police began to approach the vehicle, suspect fires, they return fire. Eliminate the threat ESPECIALLY when there are more than just the police and the suspect at risk. They just robbed a jewelry store and took a hostage and stole a truck. You have absolutely zero idea what else they were going to do. Video wasn't the clearest, but it looked like the suspects had fired first.

Oct 25, 2017
Police chase, got caught in a traffic jam, suspects sat between the seats, police began to approach the vehicle, suspect fires, they return fire. Eliminate the threat ESPECIALLY when there are more than just the police and the suspect at risk. They just robbed a jewelry store and took a hostage and stole a truck. You have absolutely zero idea what else they were going to do. Video wasn't the clearest, but it looked like the suspects had fired first.

You back the fuck off so the suspects don't feel they have to start shooting.

These cops wanted to be action movie stars instead of helping keep civilians safe.

Deleted member 11985

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I don't know hostage situation tactics, but I'm willing to bet that "eliminate the threat" isn't supposed to be the number one priority. These cops just got all gung-ho and ended up killing two civilians as a result.

Aug 16, 2019
UK
they have them at funerals all the time, and they aren't that hard to do, and don't take a lot of time if you are familiar with social media.
they call them memorials, or do you think it was the Russians, instead?
Yes, but I got the impression this happened today, am I wrong? who does this the same day? How do you even function enough to do this

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, if they really shot first, what should the cop do?
duck. clear all bystanders. first things that come to mind.

return all of the fire and maybe include some extra? not my first go to.
which safety algorithm were they running is my only remaining question.
literal public safety, virtual public safety? conceptual public safety?

Yes, but I got the impression this happened today, am I wrong? who does this the same day? How do you even function enough to do this
happened yesterday, and she published just after midnight I think.

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017

These cops wanted to be action movie stars instead of helping keep civilians safe.
You are coming at this at the wrong angle because you make it seem like the suspect deserve to not be approach. Of course the police are going to approach the vehicle of robbers.

"don't feel they have to start shooting"

What the fuck is going through your mind to say something like this when they just robbed a bank and carjacked a UPS truck!? Holy shit there's hating the police and just having aggressively bad hot takes like this. If you don't want the police to approach the UPS truck you just carjacked maybe don't rob a jewelry store then carjack and kidnap someone!!!

I don't even like the police but your thoughts on this are insanely naive, crazy and downright dangerous.

LBsquared

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 22, 2019

The suspects shot someone before there was a police presence. There was no way in hell they were just going to let them get away.

Deleted member 11985

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

They shot first because the cops swarmed them. If the hostage situation was in a building and the cops stormed the building, then of course there's going to be a shootout there too.

I guess hindsight is 20/20, but the first thing they should have done is not even allowed a roaming hostage situation to possibly end up in a place where more hostages could be taken. So the UPS truck should've never made it to that intersection in the first place.

But since it did get there, then they should have closed down the intersection and worked on getting all the civilians out of there first.

Aug 16, 2019
UK
duck. clear all bystanders. first things that come to mind.

return all of the fire and maybe include some extra? not my first go to.
which safety algorithm were they running is my only remaining question.
literal public safety, virtual public safety? conceptual public safety?
Of course, you duck, but you let a shooter shot in a public area full of people?

If the witnessing is true this seems like a lose lose situation either way. Public safety is threatened is somebody is already shooting

GMM

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Back the fuck up and reassess the situation while they monitor the vehicle, best case scenario would be that the robbers abandon the vehicle once they got off the highway or back them into a corner where there isn't as many civilians all around. The UPS driver was in a fucked situation, but the police signed his death certificate since they moved on the vehicle in a way he was certain to be hit with gunfire from like 20 officers.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
in my opinion the police botched this. but this will ultimately go down as "eh, madworld, isn't it?"

there used to be a desire to avoid public shootouts like this, exactly because you can't control all the variables.
unfortunately, two innocent people became collateral damage in a system of property crime protection services.

I just hope the jewels are safe now.

stumblebee

The Fallen
Jan 22, 2018
It's mind-boggling that some of the answers to 'what should the cops do when the robber shoots first' is to let them keep shooting.

Tpallidum

Oct 28, 2017
Holy shit. You can clearly see the UPS worker trying to crawl out and the police straight up shoot at him because the perp is in front of him. Cops didn't give a fuck that an innocent man was trying to escape behind him

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
It's mind-boggling that some of the answers to 'what should the cops do when the robber shoots first' is to let them keep shooting.
"shoots first" is your first problem.

it isn't about "oh they shot first, now all kinds of lethal force is authorized. public safety is now a non-factor, as there are guns involved."

Oct 25, 2017

No what is mind boggling is that the only thing American police can do is escalate the situation until lethal force is the only option and that people are so willing to defend this insane approach.