• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
www.thedailybeast.com

Shocking Video Shows Seattle Cop Rolling Bike Over Fallen Breonna Taylor Protester’s Head and Neck

The Seattle Police Department is investigating the stomach-turning footage from Wednesday night’s protests for Breonna Taylor.

The Seattle Police Department is investigating after a video showed one of its cops rolling a bike over the head and neck of a fallen protester at Wednesday night's Breonna Taylor demonstrations.

Protests erupted in the city in response to officers in Louisville, Kentucky, not being charged for fatally shooting the 26-year-old Black woman. The SPD confirmed in a statement that 13 people were arrested at the Seattle demonstrations and complained that multiple officers had been injured, including one who was struck in the head with a baseball bat.

However, the shocking video, which appears to show an SPD officer rolling his bicycle over the head of an already-injured man, has been widely condemned on social media. The anger led the department to comment: "The Seattle Police Department is aware of a video circulating on the internet that apparently shows an SPD bike officer's bike rolling over the head of an individual laying in the street. This matter will be referred to the Office of Police Accountability for further investigation."
The clip originated from a Facebook Livebroadcast from CJ Halliburton, who describes himself as an independent journalist; he recorded the unrest in Seattle throughout the night.

The key part of the video shows a line of cops advancing on protesters. One, who is not cycling but pushing his bike by its handlebars, appears to slowly walk toward the man who is flat on the ground. The cop rolls the bicycle over the man's head, with the back wheel appearing to go over his neck.

The same officer then appears to bash a second protester with his bike. Two other officers then kneel down next to the fallen man before the scene becomes obscured by the line of advancing cops.

Oct 30, 2017
Obstructed a police vehicle. They look like they are about to arrest and detain the person who got run over.

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
And if this guy sues, the taxpayers pay for it. Doesn't come out of the police department's budget.

Also, video is only a couple hours old but don't read the comments.

Oct 25, 2017
Good cop, standing with his hands on his hips: "Gee golly, that's not proper police procedure! I sure wouldn't have done that!"

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
This is another perfect example why no one should be against the ACAB idea.

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't look like he was injured, looks like he laid down. Either way, it's gross...but I'd like to see confirmation that he was injured prior to being run over. He was standing 10 seconds before, and then on the ground when the police line got there. Unless another protester knocked him out somehow.

boxter432

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Didn't look like he was injured, looks like he laid down. Either way, it's gross...but I'd like to see confirmation that he was injured prior to being run over. He was standing 10 seconds before, and then on the ground when the police line got there. Unless another protester knocked him out somehow.
what? even if he was laying there in protest, it wouldn't matter. the cop deliberately went for his head with his bike, he had a clear path and vision.
then of course the cops behind him don't go to help the guy, looks like there were arresting him.

Oct 25, 2017
You're arguing a detail that is apparently backed up by publication while a cop has ridden his bicycle over a pedestrians head.

In short: WOOSH.

Sorry, I guess we shouldn't call out bad reporting. I'm sure The Daily Beast was there and isn't just going off of their interpretation of social media posts. They even qualify it with "appears" - "which appears to show an SPD officer rolling his bicycle over the head of an already-injured man". Sorry I'd like some more depth in reporting. As I said, it's bad enough that the police ran him over, I don't see the need to fluff it up and add speculation on top of an already inflammatory story.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry, I guess we shouldn't call out bad reporting. I'm sure The Daily Beast was there and isn't just going off of their interpretation of social media posts. They even qualify it with "appears" - "which appears to show an SPD officer rolling his bicycle over the head of an already-injured man". Sorry I'd like some more depth in reporting. As I said, it's bad enough that the police ran him over, I don't see the need to fluff it up and add speculation on top of an already inflammatory story.

🙄

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
Gosh it must be so hard to be a cop in the age of the cell phone camera! Can't do what they normally do without getting blasted for it on social media, dang it!

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017

I understand you're argument and yes, good reporting is preferable. If you find any evidence or trustworthy publication that proves he actually wasn't injured, please post it in the thread and I will proceed not to give a shit because a cop still made the choice, knowing the potential cause for injury, to ride their bicycle over a peaceful protester's head.

A peaceful protestor was assaulted by the police. That's it.