• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

painey

Oct 27, 2017
rliluq74nvr31.jpg

A police robot told a woman to go away after she tried to report a violent brawl breaking out nearby – then trundled off while singing a song.

Cogo Guebara rushed over to the motorized police officer and pushed its emergency alert button on seeing the brawl break out in Salt Lake Park, Los Angeles, last month. But instead of offering assistance, the egg-shaped robot, whose official name is HP RoboCop, barked at Guebara to 'Step out of the way'.

To add insult to injury, the high-tech device then rolled away while humming an 'intergalactic tune', pausing periodically to say 'Please keep the park clean.' Guebara told NBC News: 'I was pushing the button but it said, "Step out of the way."

Local Police Chief Cosme Lozano says the robots, which cost between $60,000 and $70,000 a year to lease, are still in a trial phase and that their alert buttons have not yet been activated. He said that law enforcement have not yet started advertising the robots crime-fighting activities.

Deleted member 12379

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And a third HP RoboCop struck a child while patrolling a mall in California's Silicon Valley.

programming them a bit too real i think

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Man, this forum is so anti-cop it's disgusting.
Why can't you focus on the positive things?
Like how the robot didn't felt threatened and shot her 50 times in the chest?
This is a positive policing story.

Deleted member 5359

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They had one of these things at a shopping center near me and all it does is break. Usually in the middle of the street.

pizoxuat

Jan 12, 2018
As funny as this is, when I put myself in her shoes and picture living through this sequence of events I would definitely question my perception of reality for at least a moment or two. Wild.

Fusionfrenzy

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 2, 2019
$70,000 a year and for what? Could hire an actual police officer for half that price.

I'm not a luddite but sometimes it feels like everyone is rushing for technological 'advancement' even where there is no upside at all

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017
The moral of the movie isnt "We need a robot cop." A private corporation creating a robotic cop is unambiguously portrayed as bad.

It's like naming a missile control AI Skynet. Don't do that.

jay

Oct 25, 2017
A cop that cares more about property than life isn't a new invention.

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Who's the fucking genius who wanted to do a police robot trial WITHOUT indicating that the "alert" button doesn't work?

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty spectacular AI - apart from the shape (it's honestly too slim and mobile relatively speaking) and the lack of Tactical Optics - it's almost indistinguishable from some real cops.

ALMOST UNRELATED : wtf Nicholas Winding Refn is exec producing a TV series based on the 80s Maniac Cop movies..

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Man, this forum is so anti-cop it's disgusting.
Why can't you focus on the positive things?
Like how the robot didn't felt threatened and shot her 50 times in the chest?
This is a positive policing story.
I mean if it's not a white woman who reported the crime, it's impressive the woman didn't end up in big trouble.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
$70,000 a year and for what? Could hire an actual police officer for half that price.

Not in San Francisco. That's starting salary for an officer there.

Plus equipment, training, insurance, pension, overtime pay, etc. all told these things are probabaly less than half the cost of a human officer and they can probabaly operate at least two shifts, covering the job of two humans.

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK
Can you send a robot to jail for gunning people down unlawfully?
Can a robot be off duty and stand its ground?

Would people have the same blindly loyal reverence and deference to authority if these things became commonplace?

Also - it's like some kind of smooth Dalek

61Sb39M5eSL._SY606_.jpg

Is it like a cross-breed between mobile CCTV and an emergency intercom?

Deleted member 28461

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
"Local Police Chief Cosme Lozano says the robots, which cost between $60,000 and $70,000 a year to lease,"

This bastard makes more than my old salary.