• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
This comes days after the recent murder of Regis Korchinski-Paquet, a black indigenous woman who was pushed out of a balcony by Toronto police.
A young woman who was shot and killed by police in New Brunswick on Thursday has been identified by family members as 26-year-old Chantel Moore of the Tla-o-qui-ah First Nation near Tofino, B.C.

Police in Edmundston, N.B., say they were asked to perform a wellness check on a woman at an apartment building around 2:30 a.m. Thursday.

The department said in a statement that the responding officer was confronted by a woman, who was allegedly holding a knife and making threats.

Chantel Moore's grandmother, Nora Martin, said the family is in mourning and disbelief over what happened.

"Chantel was very friendly, she was very outgoing," said Martin. "She was well-loved by the family and had numerous friends."

She said as soon as she heard news of Moore's death, she felt that race was a factor.

"When I first heard about it, that was my first thought: 'This was racially motivated,'" said Martin.

"We've been dealing with police brutality for a number of years," she added. "I know in my own family it's been going on for a long time."

Martin said Moore moved to New Brunswick roughly two months ago to be closer to her five-year-old daughter who was living with a relative in Edmundston.

According to family members, Moore's boyfriend first contacted police in Edmundston to check on Moore because she claimed she was being harassed.
Martin also questioned why police fired five shots, and why a Taser or other non-lethal method of subduing someone was not used. She said that she hopes police will change how they approach confrontations to focus more on deescalating situations.

"Like is said she was small in stature, it's very appalling to us."
Source: https://vancouverisland.ctvnews.ca/...woman-shot-and-killed-by-n-b-police-1.4969770
image.jpeg

No justice, no peace.

EDIT: If you can, please support Chantal Moore's family: https://www.gofundme.com/f/support-for-family-of-chantel-moore

Last edited:

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Police should never do wellness checks. Ever.

KG

Banned
Oct 12, 2018
Holy shit! Why they he have to shoot 5 time?!?! I've been to this town, while I got some states people, cops checked me a couple of times, and honked at, it was overall it pleasent town.

Not surprised about the brutality from the police though. ACAB after all.

Indigenous people receive hate from not just white people but a lot minority as well in Canada

talkingood

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly I'm not sure most cops need to have guns, especially if they seem to resort to them so quickly.

This comes days after the recent murder of Regis Korchinski-Paquet, a black indigenous woman who was pushed out of a balcony by Toronto police.
"The family's lawyer, Knia Singh, later clarified during a press conference that these accusations were being retracted. Korchinski-Paquet's mother and brother do not believe she was pushed, but still believe that police mishandled the situation."
- https://www.blogto.com/city/2020/06/siu-report-regis-korchinski-paquet-delayed/

Still suspicious why she would just fall since it doesn't sound like she would have commit suicide. In any case Toronto police still handled the situation terribly, maybe even criminally negligent. They clearly don't know how to handle mental health crises.

namlook

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Concern trolling surrounding minority concerns & police brutality. Account in junior phase.
I'm legitimately curious what you all think a police officer should do when someone comes at them with a knife.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
I'm legitimately curious what you all think a police officer should do when someone comes at them with a knife.

As a lay person- First step would be back off, way off. If the perceived aggressor is only a threat to you and no one else, disengage and retreat for assessment of options (incl. calling for support/instructions). If the person looks to be able a threat to others, offer clear verbal instructions to try and de-escalate the situation. If that fails, try a non-lethal weapon like a taser.

I am not a police officer but if they have not been trained to be try and de-escalate a situation (esp. here in a fucking Canada) and instead resort to primary lethal arms as the way to neutralize a perceived threat then something is terribly broken in the training regiment of officers.

That woman died so fucking needlessly.

Oct 27, 2017

Has that been conclusively shown to be true? From what I understood (perhaps wrongly), she did fall during their check, but it was not known if she fell, jumped, or was pushed. Saying they pushed her is a strong accusation, even if she did die as a result of a struggle with them, or trying to escape.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
So if you were holding a knife and threatening a police officer you think they would just be "hey it's all cool".

They have all that gear (pepper spray, stun gun, baton, flashlight for god sake) to deescalate situations for a reason...
"Deescalate." That's a good one.

This is why I argue that police need to be severely limited in their scope and power. They're thugs with badges; they're not trained to handle a mental health crises like this. RIP Chantel.

namlook

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ok you answer the question. You're a Cop you have training to take someone down, pepper sray, and even gun training to at minumum shoot them in a way to simply stop them (ie not 5 times). Wtf do you do dipshit.
It's pretty hard to comment when we don't know the details of the situation. But you aggressively attacking other people doesn't seem to be the right answer. Do I think the police should be in the habit of shooting people? Absolutely not. But making rash generalizations before you know details seems like a bad idea to me. But you are entitled to think what you want.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Has that been conclusively shown to be true? From what I understood (perhaps wrongly), she did fall during their check, but it was not known if she fell, jumped, or was pushed. Saying they pushed her is a strong accusation, even if she did die as a result of a struggle with them, or trying to escape.
Hasn't been proven to be true, afaik.

Reizzz

Jun 19, 2019
It's pretty hard to comment when we don't know the details of the situation. But you aggressively attacking other people doesn't seem to be the right answer. Do I think the police should be in the habit of shooting people? Absolutely not. But making rash generalizations before you know details seems like a bad idea to me. But you are entitled to think what you want.
And you're not aaying anything rash right. Your first choice is shoot... so again...answer my question

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I believe the mother originally claimed that they had pushed her, but later redacted it.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017

Fuck off.

Deleted member 25600

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Police should never do wellness checks. Ever.
I recall a story from a public defender on a podcast I listen to about police doing a wellness check.

Some dudes dad asked the cops to check on him. Cops go to his house and he refuses to come outside and speak to him, as is his right. They end up at a compromise of him speaking to them through an open window. As the defendant rests his arm on the window one of the cops grabs it and tries to drag him outside through the window. The defendant immediately tried to shut the window on the aggressive officer and is subsequently arrested and charged for assaulting a police officer.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017

Her family retracted the statement regarding the "pushed off balcony" comments after a cousin posted it on social media, and apparently a video was acquired of the actual dealings. It was announced 3 days ago, and is under current review by the SIU.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn

I dunno.
It's a possibility she lunged at the cop closely and they had to murder her to save a life.

Problem is we've normalized 'At any remote sign of danger' which seems to as vague as 'waving a knife twenty feet away'.
It's like people join the police force, but don't expect to be in any danger/risk at all? I too would love to join the police where if someone might punch me I get to pump em full of bullets.

AaronD

Dec 1, 2017
I'm legit curious what you'd do if someone was barging into your apartment at 2:30am. These cops have a bad habit of not announcing themselves, or even knocking.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
if someone had a knife i wouldn't be allowed to shoot them so neither should the police.

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
How can we remember these names? The momentum we have now is something we cant lose for the sake of everyone this effects.

Pandaman

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
SIU is still investigating but the version of events that leaked to the Sun is that she was alone, had barricaded the door and attempted to climb to the neighbouring balcony when she fell.

The Sun is like a toronto new york post though.

OP
OP
Caz

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The RCMP was literally created to terrorize indigenous people, being based off of a paramilitary force the U.K. employed in Ireland.
Canada's first prime minister, Sir John A. Macdonald, got the idea for the Mounties from the Royal Irish Constabulary, a paramilitary police force the British created to keep the Irish under control.

There was no coast-to-coast railway yet, and the ink was barely dry on Canada's purchase of Western Canada from the Hudson's Bay Company, an acquisition that paved the way for western settlement. Macdonald envisioned his own Royal Irish Constabulary, says Steve Hewitt, a senior history lecturer at the University of Birmingham and author of three books about the RCMP's history — except instead of the Irish, they would control the Indigenous people already living on the land.
This is fucked up by design.
"The family's lawyer, Knia Singh, later clarified during a press conference that these accusations were being retracted. Korchinski-Paquet's mother and brother do not believe she was pushed, but still believe that police mishandled the situation."
- https://www.blogto.com/city/2020/06/siu-report-regis-korchinski-paquet-delayed/

Still suspicious why she would just fall since it doesn't sound like she would have commit suicide. In any case Toronto police still handled the situation terribly, maybe even criminally negligent. They clearly don't know how to handle mental health crises.
Paquet would still be alive if the police weren't there, plain and simple. Moreover, these two cases highlight another issue pertaining to indigenous people in Canada: Indigenous people are disproportionately more likely to suffer from mental health issues due to lacking the same accessibility to mental healthcare as non-indigenous people (with said healthcare being underfunded in comparison) or how both of these contribute to the rate of suicide among indigenous people, Inuit youth in particular, being astronomically higher than non-indigenous youth.
c-g02-eng.png

So if you were holding a knife and threatening a police officer you think they would just be "hey it's all cool".
It's almost like police officers shouldn't be carrying guns and aren't trained to de-escalate situations pertaining to mental health crises.

Let me repeat this point from the article since you clearly missed it: They shot her five times.

Reizzz

Jun 19, 2019
Tired of my people being fuckin forgotten.

:(

I have been with my partner for nearly 7 years. She's Anishinaabe/Métis and if I am being honest I was completely uneducated regarding how bad it has been for indigenous women before we met. It breaks my heart every time we hear about this.